Xbox Games Showcase Trailer Discussion

So “FM8” is in early development? What have Turn10 been doing the last 3 years since FM7? So no racing game at launch of Series X. That’s put me off somewhat to be honest.

4 Likes

I think it’s just too early to say. From the way Creative Director Chris Esaki was talking about it (and the fact that it’s called “Forza Motorsport” instead of “Forza Motorsport 8”), it seems as if this game is a soft reboot of the series.

It presumably has been in the works since 2017 (I know they said it is still in “early development” as of now, but I’m sure they started planning it as soon as FM7 hit shelves) and we’re not likely to see it release until later in 2021 at the earliest, which gives it a much longer production cycle than other Forza games. My guess is that this game is going to represent a paradigm shift of sorts for the series.

What exactly that shift will entail, I can’t say. But all indications are that Turn 10 is cooking up something different this time.

1 Like

I’m excited by the teaser trailer. I’m sure that Turn 10 is hard at work on this. Good things are worth waiting for, and it’s nice that we have a formal announcement that the next game is in development.

The visuals looks fantastic. One of the things I’m hoping for with the Series X, is a substantial jump in render quality (more realistic lighting, materials… more “photorealism”) not just the resolution jump and frame rate. I’d be disappointed for any next gen game to be “Xbox One looking” renders, but now at 4k 60fps instead of 900p / 1080p 30fps. Hopefully this initial trailer of in-engine footage is fairly representative of how the actual game will look, and not “it could run this trailer in-engine, but once we have a final game with full track view and x-number of cars, we had to re-allocate system resources.”

I can empathize with the disappointment of people who want more, and are being critical of not seeing more or being presented with more details. It’s human nature - we are naturally impatient and want it now. :stuck_out_tongue: Have empathy for the development team. New hardware, new expectations, it’s likely really hard work. Who knows what has gone on behind the scenes since FM7? 2-3 years might not mean much (time flies).

Quality first. I’m sure that Forza Motorsport “8” will be well worth waiting for. I’m hoping that it will be the true successor to Forza Motorsport 4, brining back tracks and cars that we haven’t been able to enjoy since FM4, and having Toyota’s again on day 1 - since they have now been returning in FH4 (Toyota MR2 guy here). I passed on FM7 in protest of the absence of Toyota. :stuck_out_tongue: - which was a difficult decision after being a Limited Collectors edition buyer of Forza Motorsport 2 onward, until buying digital with FM6.

Thank you, Turn 10! Looking forward to the Series X and the next Forza Motorsport game.

1 Like

I don’t understand 60 FPS. I want 120 at least, it not year 1980.

I was really impressed with the little things we saw, but like many of you, I too was disappointed to learn that this was “early in development” which I find a bit odd.

What they think is “early” is up for debate, but I personally believe that this is launching next year, probably close to Christmas time. One thing I was thrilled to learn however is that FM8 is not coming to Xbox One, which is great due to how Turn 10 pushes the limits of hardware, which would be difficult with the Xbox One holding the Series X back.

My hopes are higher than they have been since Forza 5, so I stay optimistic and hope this generational shift for Forza will be much greater than the last one.

2 Likes

I’m pretty shocked FM8 isn’t coming out this year because it’s three years since the last FM game and two years since any Forza game. The new console is out in a few months too, and every previous console launch had a Forza game at launch or soon after. Microsoft has dropped the ball on the whole next gen launch with today’s lacklustre (being kind) event - not just Forza but everything fell flat today.

Agreed

You’re wrong on the lauch issue. The original Xbox only got the first Forza Motorsport in 2005, four years after the console was released. The Xbox 360 was released in 2005 while Forza Motorsport 2 only shipped almost two years later in 2007. The only launch title was Forza Motorsport 5 on Xbox One, and it was the exception rather than the rule - and it had to pay the price for it, too (very little content).

I’m glad they’re not forcing yet another next-gen Forza out of the game for a console launch. They have to make it right and they need time for it. I suspect Forza Motorsport will be released in 2022. Only with ample development time can they guarantee the level of fidelity and content such a game promises. I don’t mind waiting as long as it’s a fully featured, polished game.

2 Likes

Well, that trailer is probably just an advertisement.
Remember the FM7 trailer? They had a fake pit crew in the trailer that doesn’t exist in the actual game.

However, that trailer made me uneasy. I wondered if they would change Forza like they did GT Sport.

As evidenced by the fact that the community’s favorite Forza has always been FM4, Forza is a game for all types of car enthusiasts, not just pure racers and motorsport fanatics.
…at least until FH4.

I fear that they will abandon the ”core” that is most important to Forza.

1 Like

I like Forza not being a launch tittle, Forza Motorsport 5 was quite lacking in content for this reason, Forza 2 also had content cut from the game, so in terms of time I really dont mind Turn10 taking it´s time but I expect something good after that time.

I would have liked more info and videos other than a very small teaser.

1 Like

The fact that we’re still seeing old vehicles makes me nervous.

4 Likes

If the whole thing is being rebooted, then I will assume that includes cars. What car game doesn’t include “old vehicles”? Say what?

He means old vehicles as in out of date racecars. Obviously the new Forza is going to have cars from previous games, but one of the main things the community has been asking for is up to date racecars. So when we see the same Diesel Mazda Lmp2 that’s been in serveal Forzas already, in the first trailer of the game, and that’s all we get, it doesn’t fill up with confidence. Not to mention that that car in real life was a complete failure. Had it been the Mazda DPi, we would’ve been excited. People want more Turn 10 to pay more attention to motorsports, in a game called Motorsport. And that doesn’t mean they have to take away anything from street cars.

1 Like

deux choses, pas de date et un doute, pas de jeu pour la xbox one ? je suis tres deçu

[Mod Edit - all posts must be in English only; translate your text before posting to the forums - MM]

I dont mind they taking 3 years, to be honest Forza Motorsport 5 was a disappointment for me because the lack of content. This reveal didn´t impress me, too much a teaser, I was expecting a more info an content, it that sense this reveal was too underhelming, the game could be great but didn´t show much.

If you are doing a teaser, do it like this, with numbers, showing that you have stuff under the hood.

Forza Motorsport 4 reveal.

3 Likes

I wasn’t expecting it to release this year, but does look like it’s earlier in development than expected. Bit surprised it’s not coming to current gen after all the talk of cross gen games.

120 FPS is very demanding to do, maybe there will be a 1080p mode for it. It’s probably a lower priority because it can’t be done for many games in 4K and there’s very few 120hz screens.

this is still a good sensation to see a new Forza Motorsport thing after three years of black screen

even if it’s a 2mn teaser and even if it shows nothing specially new , it’s still refreshing, and IF, it’s been captured ‘in-engine’ , well , it has beautiful graphics

the most ennoying thing is that we don’t have any new gameplay, new informations nor a release date, that’s the first time we meet that kind of communication from Turn 10.

So yes, we can say they take their time, and I really really hope it worth it . They really have to revolution the franchise, or all our wait would have been for nothing

I also don’t understand the ‘early stage of development’… what about the three years you have spent on it already ? c’mon giv us some new crispy infos about your game T10

I keep seeing people saying “What have they been doing for three years?” Keep in mind that they told us two years ago that they were changing up the normal development cycle that we had been used to for years and were doing things differently. They extended support and content delivery on Motorsport 7 about a year longer than they had done with previous iterations. Esaki told us that they were doing that back in 2018 and indeed they held to that until finally ending new content delivery and updates for Motorsport 7 in August of 2109. Assuming that development in earnest of the new Motorsport re-imagining that was finally announced yesterday began once support for Motorsport 7 ended, then they have only been working on it for a year now … which would line up logically with the statement about the new Motorsport being in ‘early development’. I don’t expect this game to launch until likely 2022.

1 Like

They didn’t have all of Turn 10 working on Forza 7 fixes for the last 2 years. That’s just impossible. If anything, I expect maybe 1/4 or 1/3 of T10 working on Forza 7 while the rest have been busy with Forza 8. It would be a big waste to have dozens of animators and modellers working on a game that doesn’t need any more modelling or animation.