Wheel Rotation

One for the wheel users… what rotation do you use in FM?

I’m using a Thrustmaster TS-XW and set rotation on the wheelbase to 360. This is my preferred setting, especially racing Touring and GT, and I like the fast, direct input. I felt I was understeering, possibly by not applying enough lock, when using 720, 1080, etc.

I still use this setting when switching to other cars though and wonder if I could be damaging my lap times by doing so.

So, what do you use?

*I’m also using a GT/F1 style rim which suits less rotation too.

900, occasionally I adjust per car settings. I prefer the realism.

I am under 360…maybe 270. I prefer to steer like f1.

I leave my Fanatec base set to Automatic, which in theory adjusts to whatever the car’s actual rotation is IRL. I say “in theory” because i haven’t actually sat down and tested individual cars and compared them to their real life counterparts.

It’s nice to have a higher degrees of rotation (DoR) setting because it gives you more fidelity, and makes fine adjustments easier. This can make it easier to hold your line through long turns (especially good for racing on ovals), easier to race in traffic without fear of overcorrecting and smashing into someone, and easier to make small changes without unsettling the car. But the tradeoff is in how quickly the car responds, and how quickly you can crank on enough lock to get the car into and through tight corners. Sometimes, I’ll even adjust the max rotation angle setting (in the car’s tuning menu) on a per-track basis. Not all the time, but for tracks with a tight hairpin like the one at the end of the long straight at Hockenheim for example, i might drop it down to like 80% to make it a little bit easier to crank some lock on, without sacrificing the feel too much for the rest of the track.

Besides, i find that in general when you’re track racing, even if you’ve got your wheel set to a fairly high DoR like 900 or 1080, you don’t ever really need to go much beyond 240 degrees or so in either direction (this is roughly equivalent to the maximum of how far one can comfortably rotate the wheel in one direction without removing their hands, and is why formula/ GT-style rims are able to be effective). Going beyond that generally just results in lots of understeer from heavy scrubbing of the front tires due to turning them well beyond their effective slip angle.

Other disciplines such as rally or especially drifting, sure, you definitely want to have higher DoR. (Although, anecdotally, I use my McLaren GT3 wheel - my only wheel - for rally games with a DoR of around 420 and am quite happy with how it feels.) :man_shrugging:

In the end, it’s like so many other things in that it really just comes down to personal preference and testing things to see what feels best to you.

Fanatec CSL DD on PC. Wheel rotation is set to Automatic. For me it’s 1:1 with the animation and seems to be at 900º for Forza Motorsport. On other titles, automatic self-adjusts depending on the car.

I’m not a wheel user but the understeer is in the game. I think they should tweak the front wheel grip physics a bit.

The overall physics model is great I think, but many a times, I feel the cars understeer unnecessarily whereas they shouldn’t and absolutely bite down hard on the tarmac! Unless you have tuned it for understeer that is.

I use the full 1080, I suggest to just change the wheel lock in the fine tuning to 80%.

1. 99% of the time I’m understeering after 120 in either direction anyway so my hands never really leave the wheel except to change gears.
1 Like

If you don’t have the wheel settings adjusted so the ffb drops off when you start to understeer the game is very difficult on wheel. I’m on Logitech g920 and really struggled for the first couple of months trying to get a good feel through my wheel. The in game descriptions for the advanced wheel settings are very misleading. Check out these descriptions on the forza help page as these made a lot more sense and actually gives you a better idea of which setting to adjust.

Once I got the settings adjusted so I could feel the understeer better I was able to go much faster and the game felt much better

When I do play the game on my G29 I run 900 degrees. Seems fine for any road car I tried.

I did notice that with some racecars it was too much so I just put the car specific tuning to 80%. Remember doing this for a few of the GTP/Group C cars.