GPU usage at 99% with poor performance

i have a i5-8400 and a GTX 1060 3GB, 8 gigs of DDR4 ram on Windows 10. I have my settings so that i get 55-80 fps (unlimited fps), and due only having 3 gb of VRAM i have it set that it used 2.7Gb (seen via task manager). Single 1680x1050 screen is used. although i have two connected to the GPU (other disabled from windows settings.)There wasn’t anything else taking up power on task manager, and form my knowledge it shouldn’t be CPU or ram bottleneck because there was free ram and CPU was at 40%

my problem is that occasionally my FPS drop down to as low as 14fps, with GPU usage being at 99%, and CPU at 40%. Ram usage was around 7Gb, so it shouldn’t go over any limits. i first thought this happened due low VRAM since it used to happen only when starting a race, but now it happens all the time at completely random times without changing the graphics (Ultra preset, with enviromental quality on medium and world car quality on high). worst it got was 4fps, that i got from the ingame FPS counter.
This makes the game virtually unplayable, since it happens mid races (Solo races also) and randomly during free driving. I have the newest drivers, and my Windows is up to date. Only way i don’t get this is if i set my graphic settings so low, and the FPS limiter to 60, so that my GPU is only used 40-50%. even then occasionally FPS drop to 40-50 and GPU usage maxes out. i have the dynamic preset off, so it shouldn’t try to up the graphics to a point i ran out of VRAM.

When the FPS drops it’s usually for 10-20 seconds, sometimes less, sometimes more. Today it was at 25-30fps for 20 minutes as i was playing, even lowered the graphic settings that i could without needing the restart. Didn’t help, still showed 99%. Temperature of the CPU was 65C and GPU was around the same. lower than i have while playing The Crew 2 for a few hours (CPU 70C, GPU 74C)

Have anyone found a fix for this? Could it still be VRAM issue? maybe it’s because i have single channel ram at 1333 MHz. I have tiny OC via MSI, but i haven’t noticed any problems in any other games.

Computer is a prebuilt Lenovo Legion Y520T.

The periodic FPS drops - Its not just you, though the 20+ minutes is a bit odd… I’d guess your computer went into some type of scheduled task like a trim, defrag, or a windows update.

I’m running a r5-1600x, with 16 gigs and a 1080 and I still run into plenty of laggy areas… this one is pretty consistently laggy for me though the other night it was considerably worse than usual (checked the event logs, looks like there was some sort of database resync happening in the background which I think is actually the xbox replay capture): https://youtu.be/Mmu5gUP_FIY

i think it’s Vram and Ram limitation, so the game use virtual memory on your HDD.
i’ve got an Intel 6500, RX580 8Go 16Go Ram ans 1To NVME Samsung disk and never had any drop frame with all details to the max.

1 Like

That’s what i don’t understand. how is it possible to have Vram or ram issue since game only uses 2.7Gb of 3Gb available, and there was over a gig of ram available. the game is installed on an SSD also disk shouldn’t be a problem. Those fiqures taken while the lag was occurring, and game running poorly. also, when i entered menu the FPS went back to normal

That’s what i don’t understand. how is it possible to have Vram or ram issue since game only uses 2.7Gb of 3Gb available, and there was over a gig of ram available. the game is installed on an SSD also disk shouldn’t be a problem. Those fiqures taken while the lag was occurring, and game running poorly. also, when i entered menu the FPS went back to normal

Updates broke the game. I have lots of frame rate drops in certain areas and if I drive with the chase cam view, the game stutters constantly with more than a couple of drivatars on screen. This is with setting lowered from when it first came out. The first few days it came out before the first official update I had it maxed out completely and never saw one single stutter or frame rate drop. Ever since then it’s been steadily getting worse. Every time I lower settings it fixes the issue for awhile and then it goes bad so I have to lower them even further then the process happens all over. If it keeps up I’ll have gone from 80fps on completely maxed out settings to 15fps on lowest settings. I think a combo of game updates and a windows update broke the game because the same thing is happening in the other Forza titles. Non windows store games seem to be unaffected for the most part.

ok, that was my hunch aswell that the game is just broken. Wanted to ask anyway incase there was something that i could do to fix it, and get the dev to notice the issue

I have the same problem here. Before, I could play in the high setting with 60 fps, now, even in the lowest setting, it does not come out of 22+ fps.

Sorry, doubled