Forza 5 California Drifter achievement

I’ll leave the leaderboards for the diehards, I’m only interested in a way we, non-drifters, can get it this achievement.

A dirty lap qualifies for the achievement.

I have a clean 12k score on the LBs, and if I get 15k+ on a dirty lap now the achievement won’t pop.

From what I understand, you might be boned once you put up a clean lap on the leaderboards, and may need to run 15k clean. Just like in racing, if you have, say, a 2:00 clean lap as your fastest on a track and it posts to the leaderboard, you can run 1:45 dirty and it won’t move you up the ranks.

For everyone frustrated, here’s some advice I can give, because I was previously one of you:

• Start slow. I see people talking here and on other sites about what tunes to use, and none… I mean NONE of the high-powered ones worked for me. If you aren’t used to drifting, a 600+ hp RWD Kia cee’d or SnD woom988’s famous Syclone tune is not going to immediately make you a master and get you the achievement in five minutes. Something like an A-class Trueno or Nissan Silvia is a great place to start, and a Trueno is what I used to get the achievement. It’s a fairly conservative tune and fairly easy to control, if I do say so myself… I shared it, give it a try if you’d like.

• Don’t be afraid to ask for help- go over to the “Drift Lounge” subforum here. There’s a thread called Forza Motorsport 5 Drift School, I met a couple people through there that helped me out tremendously when it comes to car setup as well as technique.

• Practice, practice, practice. There is no substitute for practice… the fast guys weren’t fast from day one, if you aren’t a drifter, you won’t pick up this achievement in a half hour.
    I was ready to just throw in the towel and give up, but I’m no quitter. It took me a month before I swallowed my pride and went to ask for help. Before that, I pounded away on it, inching up on 15k, doing a best of just over 14k with an A-class '02 Camaro. A couple hours with one of the expert drifters in the Drift Lounge, helping me with the setup and technique, I got it in 20 minutes.

This is THE hardest 20G I’ve ever earned. My score was 15,379 before the final hairpin so I just coasted around that last turn, crossed the line, ended the race and felt a weight off my shoulders when the achievement popped. It was dirty as hell, I think I rewound about 50 times, but it counted since I had never put up a clean lap on the leaderboard. Clean, dirty, I don’t care… I got the achievement. This is hard for non-drifters, but it can be done if you want it bad enough.

Follow your dreams… you can reach your goals… I’m living proof. Beefcake.

1 Like

And? There are other achievements on this game the REQUIRE you to actualy go for a dirty lap (or at least a move with the car that will invalidate your lap time) like “Head over Heels” where you need to flip your car which works best when hitting the kerbs/grass on several occasions.

Don’t think people will be really annoyed by getting this Drift-achievement while going for a dirty notation on the leaderboards; cheevo is hard enough as it is.

I did it in a KIA.

Oops…my apologies. I did not know that this achievement could be completed with a dirty lap. Peace

I would love to see more difficult drift achievements. The last corner was a little tricky. If you drift it clean connecting all the last corners you have to be almost full throttle for the whole last turn for it to count points if not the other way is to drift the left sweeper into the barriers collect points the. Turn around and gather the last few on the last half of the hairpin

I hate drifting so could care less about the cheevo,let the drift die hards do it.

1 Like

Am I the only one who has 57% on this achievement? Don’t know how it counts… Sometimes I get percentages, sometimes not. And I’m way off 15K. That should be impossible, shouldn’t it?

It means that your highest score is about 8550 - to get this one you need a best score of 15000+ (clean or dirty lap doesn’t matter).

1 Like

Not true. I had a clean score on the board and a rewound 15k got me the cheevo.

Also many non drifters have used the Syclone and got it done. It may not work for everyone but I recommend people at least try it.

I had already posted a clean 10k lap registered on the leaderboard, before finally scoring my first dirty 15k lap. I decided to wait a few minutes, giving the game more time to register the score before I quit the event. Bad mistake! no achievement popped, I was totally mortified fearing I had no choice but to post a clean 15k because I had previously posted a clean lap.

After giving it some thought I remember seeing the dirty 15k score automatically disappear from the HUD, because a dirty lap didn’t beat my previous 10k clean lap. Especially if you carry on or wait too long after crossing the finish line. I Thought to myself that’s probably why it didn’t unlock the achievement? So I gave it another shot scoring another dirty 15k lap on my first run, only this time I decided to pause and quit the event the very second I crossed the finish line. At that point the dirty 15k score was still being displayed in the HUD, for the first few seconds I crossed the finish line. I quickly paused and quit, Bingo! finally the achievement unlocked!

Just be sure to pause and quit whilst the 15k is still displayed in the HUD on crossing the finish line and it will count for the achievement, although as far as the leaderboard goes your previous lower point clean lap will still stand.

1 Like

so I tried a few laps yesterday in a stock gt 500 and got around 6500, I know im gonna have to use at least an A class car to get this achievement. drifting is slightly different in this game than in forza 4, but i’ll adjust eventually lol. maybe ill try again the next time I play.

I feel your pain GT

Ditto
After a challenging evening in a Formula Ford I finally cracked the magic 15k. It was a dirty lap due to rewinds but I felt I’d worked hard enough to deserve this. However nothing popped!

I had set a clean lap of just 10 points on a previous attempt whilst doing a sighter lap. After seeing comments like the above I’m furious that I’ve essentially wasted my whole evening on what is obviously a bugged achievement. I’m unlikely to have the skill to do a clean 15k (managed a clean 10k but still painful and time consuming)… But why should I continue to waste hours if others can do it on a dirty lap? I’ve yet to try GT’s method but I’ve had enough for one night (thx for suggestion btw). Here’s hoping the devs get this fixed so it’s at least fair!!!

Hi all,
So I just got to 15000 points on a lap. However the lap was dirty because I had to use rewind, and my best clean lap is 11900, so when I crossed the start/finish line the dirty lap was instantly erased because it wasn’t my best lap. I ended the event to see if it would pop up anyway, it didn’t.

So my question is do I have to put in a clean lap to get the achievement now? If so that sucks.

You can still unlock the achievement with a dirty lap.

To those who have previously posted a clean lap, the game will naturally erase your dirty 15k score from the HUD as it is an invalid lap and once removed from HUD no achievement. However there is a small window of a mere few seconds after you cross the finish line, that the dirty 15k score remains in the HUD. So pause and quit the second your sure your rear wheels cross the line, chances are much higher the 15k dirty score is still in the HUD (ie not yet erased and still in view) and if it is the achievement will unlock.

Don’t give up, took me two stones to hit one bird.

1 Like

I tried a bit more today and got my score up to 9900, im starting to get the hang of how to take most of the corners, its the roundabouts that are killing me though. lol

Thanks I will try it again in a bit, i hope it works because I’m done investing time in this achievement.

Just got it a dirty 15047, chained 3500 through the last corner sequence and used the finish line trick to make it pop up.

Not really a trick, but thank you for confirming it all worked out and well done mate.

Here’s the link to the drift tune thread http://forums.forza.net/turn10_postst11783_Need-the-best-drift-tune-for-Long-Beach-achievement.aspx

That others mention and without which, I would have been well and truly stuck.