Driver has tendinitis?

I play witthout ANY assists. And the sterring cap is here!!!

I’m pretty sure that the steering limit is still there because of the limits in the physics engine.
Remember they have to play funny games with speed/braking as when you slow down to low speed you hit divide by zero errors and the game would just crash. So instead of this happening, they fudge the numbers for low speed to make it work. They could be having similar problems with steering input once it goes too far one way or the other. Which was why I mentioned PC games. They have more headroom to put extra systems in place to cope with more data. The Xbox One is very tight on resources by comparison, and to do one thing, they have to compromise something else sometimes.
So this is probably why we have the steering cap on the extreme end of the steering. Remember there are several data intensive systems running for each wheel, and they have to be synchronised. With errors being introduced into that it could just crash the whole physics engine, so they avoid it by limiting the max/min amounts.

Just a theory, however, it is based on known facts about driving game physics and Xbox One hardware limitations. This could be why they did it.

I’m only posting this, as lately there are lots of threads that basically are ascribing malicious intent, or lack of caring on an issue, when it could be actual limitations in hardware/programming.

2 Likes

Well put.

And for those of us looking to do without the steering cap, we should get a wheel. Although it would be very nice to be able to at least adjust degrees of steering sensitivity on a controller, if not an option to turn it off completely. Kind of like a fast/slow steering rack ratio setting.

1 Like

Use hood cam and a wheel.
You also have a better view and sound.

I think with a controller it would be completely unworkable with NO assist to steering. Unless you do one of those mods with longer sticks. They can provide quite good sensitivity upgrades to a contoller, but they do feel weird.
With wheels it should be just as the wheel is positioned, but as I said, I think there’s more to it than just unlocking steering limits.

I play fia gt racing with a controller and dont see any problems with it.

It´s hard? not for me. Just put the damn option to disable it. Traction control is hard for some ppl and it´s still there to enable or disable.

1 Like

Look, coding a disable feature for steering isn’t as easy as just putting in a switch. I’ve done a bit of coding in high school (which I graduated in 2013) and in order for a switch to work, it has to do something. In this case, completely getting rid of any built in steering “assists”. With the physics engine Turn 10 has provided, I’m sure that would be quite difficult, considering every car would have to be “re-done” in order to get the “real feel” for each car.

Now, traction control or TCS has a disable switch because it’s a lot easier to simulate that on every car. Plus, it’s a real life option. There’s no “real life” steering option as far as I know for “real life” cars. It’s built in!

Turn 10 want Forza Motorsport to be the ultimate simulation racing game on console, so if something can’t yet be simulated due to technology not being that advanced yet, they won’t try to simulate it. Although, they have tried to make it as close as possible with what they do have.

I know you’re mad, but there’s a reason for everything.

Pro

They would not have to redo anything, the analogue stick on the controller is an anologue axis, so is the wheel rotation on the steering wheel. All they would have to do is treat the stick as a wheel input.

Although I am 100% against the idea to remove it completely, because I’m pretty sure it doesn’t work on percentages of speed, but more on the front tyre friction to alow controllers to navigate the corners without huge losses of traction. Removing this compleatly will only make the player slower. I think just having sensitivity setting would make the most sense, just like all FPS games have look speed sensitivity options. Every one is different and it’s not a one size fits all type of scenario.

2 Likes

The only steering adjustments I know of are,

settings like, Sport, & Comfort & Normal. I know a few Hyundai’s have this available, like on the Santa Fe’ and the Sonata.

They will probably not remove the cap from controller steering, probably not for a long time. I think it also has to do with a limit on the physics engine - maybe they have yet to recreate the effects of what happens when you try to turn the wheel too much at different speeds. I know the braking physics need work, so maybe that and the steering cap might get addressed in a future Forza.

How about you wheel users? There’s no cap on steering using a gaming wheel, is there?

Yes, but those settings are usually more to do with suspension and ride height. Making the car feel tighter and more responsive by making it more rigid.

Once you have noticed it, it quickly becomes irritating.

I also cant stand the OTT paddle shift animations. The hand movements are so over exaggerated, often taking the hand off the wheel altogether when in reality, a gear change can be made with the tips of your fingers.

1 Like

There are actually quite a number of gear shifting animations that I find silly; I just try my best to ignore them or change views. For instance, it’s strange and also cartoony how his hand half-flies off the wheel just to reach for the paddle to click it. Or how your driver changes race transmissions in pure race cars where all is required is a simple forward or backward/pull motion on the stick… but no, that looks a bit goofy at times.

This is definitely something that must be given attention in future games.

I’m sure I’m not the only one who can’t stand the driver’s nervous hand movements in cockpit view. He rearranges his fingers nervously on the wheel every 10 seconds. He doesn’t touch the wheel for a moment when he does this, which is not the best idea while cornering at 180 mph. It looks like OCD behaviour.
I really want to enjoy cockpit view again, but this is just incredibly annoying! It looks stupid and makes no sense.
If the driver did this every 10 minutes, I could almost deal with it. But never this often! I love Forza, but this unnecessary finger nonsense forced me to play Project CARS again.
This OCD cockpit view is torturing me! Please fix this!

Agreed - it does look very very strange.

One of the more bizarre things I’ve noticed is how your driver changes gears on these straight-cut “up/down” race transmissions. So for example, on the V8 supercars, instead of just pushing or pulling the stick once to indicate a gear shift, he reaches out and then the hand hovers in a wierd way before returning to the steering wheel. It’s SO wierd… as if he’s trying to reach for something on the dashboard and then changed his mind!!!

Also paddle shift animation - those are cartoonish. I don’t think it takes a lot of creativity or hardware oomph to get that right… he just has to reach with one or two fingers, click the paddle and that’s it. I’ve never seen any driver or pro race driver for that matter flying his hand OFF the wheel to click gears.

All this and hopefully someday - proper wheel rotation and stick shift animation in the cockpit view.

Which corner are you taking at 180mph?

2 Likes

The nice corner at Bathhurst!

I noticed the drivers hands get more and less nervous in different cars. For example in the Alfa Romeo 155 Q4 he messes around with his hands less. It takes about a minute until he gets nervous. In cars like the new Mercedes C 63 AMG Coupe or the '97 Maserati Ghibli Cup he constantly does the nervous movements. He is barely able to hold the wheel for 15 seconds until he messes around with his hands. Even when I take corners or I shift gears he does his stupid stuff. Please fix this! No more Parkinsons in the cockpit! I am unable to use the cockpit view. It destroys my driving experience. Why must this nice racing game be destroyed by such stupid mistakes and nobody is interested in fixing this?