AI is impressively bad

Games from 20 years ago had better AI than this game. How can you feel AI that can’t even make its way through a chicane without coming to a complete stop is ready to ship? How was there no point anywhere in development where someone said “this isn’t working, we need to cut our losses and revert to the old AI”? Anything is better than this garbage. It really is impressive how low the bar is for this game.

And the best part is that the acknowledgements they’ve made don’t even scratch the surface of the problems. It’s going to be FM7 all over again where they half-fix some of the problems then abandon the game to work on the next half-baked title.

12 Likes

I refuse to call them AI. AI suggests some sort of decisionmaking which these robots clearly lack. Its simply “where line? Me follow!” My infotech project in grade 9 had better logistics than the code for these robots

4 Likes

What bothers me the most is the unexpected braking. The AI brakes before the curve, in the curve and then again on a straight line. I’ve had so many accidents because I wasn’t prepared for them.
She’s also stupid; she hardly seems to know any of the tracks. Recently I leveled a car and drove 30 laps of Daytona. Several times I passed cars that crashed into the wall for no apparent reason. Always in the same place.
Even at level 8, the only challenge is to somehow cheat your way past this AI. Once you overtake her, she slows down even more.
Sometimes I also have the feeling that Turn10 wanted to simulate the toxic multiplayer community with this absurd aggressiveness and holding the line at all costs. What’s also the same: The AI rams and pushes, but the human player gets the penalties.

edit:
Another thing I forgot are the pit stops. I’ve seen it several times that the AI stops after the first round. Without me setting a mandatory pit stop. Completely random, it seems like it was set that way on purpose to give the player better rankings. However, it is more likely that it is just stupidity.

3 Likes

What bothers me most is that the game has been out for months and the studio has not addressed any of their blatant marketing lies.

9 Likes

Does that still bother you? I have given up all hope. You can see from the release errors that they have no interest in their game. I mean, who spends 6 years developing a game and then introduces bugs that every gamer notices after two to three hours?
I think some things are simply deliberate negligence. For example, the lack of tire wear in Free Play or the private lobbies. I suspect they simply saved themselves the effort of installing a percentage wear depending on the number of laps.
That’s why there are only such short MP races.

4 Likes

She? Interesting.

1 Like

Looking at what is happening to AI in this days, FM is in PAR! :grin:

I have that feeling too

5 Likes

what T10 could do is hire A Developer from the F1 Game that made the AI in that Game. It feels like I’m playing online with the AI in the F1 Game. Remember Unsportsmanlike behaviour is against the Xbox community standards such as Ramming shoving Blocking & cutting the track on purpose penalty or not its still makes a unfair advantage we all have to Follow the Same Rules you can only Defend once per section as well T10 Needs to partner with the FIA to improve online It makes me Not Want to play online because there’s to many actors

I was running a race last night in Free Play, set up for D-class Vintage Touring Cars. I was running a moderately upgraded Cortina (D393).

I started 20th on the grid (out of 24). Over the course of a 15-lap race around Hockenheim GP, I finished over 30 seconds ahead of the car in P2… and this was against LEVEL 8 AI! And trust me, i am not that skilled of a driver to the point where i should be able to start from the back of the grid and walk it home against what is supposed to be the most skilled AI available in the game.

To make matters worse, some of the AI who finished toward the back of the field took as many as 6(!) pitstops - in a 30-minute race! Seemingly everywhere i looked, cars were flying off the track like the drivers had all downed a case of beer, followed by a swarm of bees being let loose inside their cockpit.

The two turns circled above seem to be the worst offenders…I can’t remember how many times I witnessed the AI get so completely crossed up or just apparently forget to turn and go careening through the gravel straight into the barriers.

I mean, i already knew the AI in this game was not great, but this was… shockingly bad.

:rofl: Classic, i might have to steal that line

1 Like