This site uses cookies for analytics and personalized content. By continuing to browse this site, you agree to this use. Learn more
3 Pages123Next
#1 Posted : Sunday, June 11, 2017 3:05:31 PM(UTC)
I know it's a bit early but how do you guys think they will implement this "friction assist" feature? Personally I think it should be customizable in single player but as a mandatory setting in multiplayer making cutters and sloppy drivers susceptible to the same slowing mechanism as in FH4.

-k
 8 users liked this post.
#2 Posted : Sunday, June 11, 2017 4:07:47 PM(UTC)
If sticky grass is coming back it shouldn't be an option, it should be standard across the board. It was used to discourage corner cutting i dont see how having an on/off switch is going to benefit anyone. Cutting should either be penalized or not, its pretty cut and dry. Horizon is the game people should get if they wanna make their own track boundaries not motorsport. Why go through the trouble of laser scanning tracks if people dont have to stay on them.
#3 Posted : Sunday, June 11, 2017 4:19:04 PM(UTC)
I am slightly concerned about this but will wait for more info.

If it's a blanket setting that can be used everywhere, I hope it's disabled in Public Multiplayer Hoppers as you'd essentially have people driving 2 different types of track at the same time, and those using a realistic setting could be abused by those who can freely drive off-track.
 1 user liked this post.
#4 Posted : Sunday, June 11, 2017 5:24:52 PM(UTC)
Yes in multiplayer the setting should be entire lobby. I'm assuming it will be adjustable to allow for leeway in private games and for solo practice.

-k
#5 Posted : Monday, June 12, 2017 10:03:25 AM(UTC)
What is friction assist?
 1 user liked this post.
#6 Posted : Monday, June 12, 2017 10:06:09 AM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: ManteoMax Go to Quoted Post
FORZA MOTORSPORT 7 FIRST LOOK: THE SERIES REFOCUSES ON ITS DRIVERS
How Turn 10 is trying to make more than just a prettier sequel
by Sean O'Kane@sokane1 Jun 11, 2017, 5:11pm EDT
https://www.theverge.com/games/2017/6/11/15770948/e3-2017-forza-motorsport-7-scorpio-play-story

Quote:
One particular new option is a “friction assist,” which lets the player turn up or down how severely they’ll be affected by driving off track.

#7 Posted : Monday, June 12, 2017 10:14:29 AM(UTC)
https://www.theverge.com/games/2017/6/11/15770948/e3-2017-forza-motorsport-7-scorpio-play-story

Quote:
One particular new option is a “friction assist,” which lets the player turn up or down how severely they’ll be affected by driving off track.

Ahh so something like mods for single player and free play to help the not so good players?
 2 users liked this post.
#8 Posted : Monday, June 12, 2017 10:24:03 AM(UTC)
Not entirely. More like a setting in the assist menu that should be locked during multiplayer racing so that everyone is playing evenly.

-k
#9 Posted : Tuesday, June 13, 2017 3:58:05 AM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: Kdogg788 Go to Quoted Post
Not entirely. More like a setting in the assist menu that should be locked during multiplayer racing so that everyone is playing evenly.

-k

Oh yea that could be an issue.
 1 user liked this post.
#10 Posted : Tuesday, June 13, 2017 4:34:10 AM(UTC)

Quote:

On the gamersyde video the summary says friction assist "enables maximum traction on every surface"

https://youtu.be/3_Mmy3w6x1M

Edited by user Tuesday, June 13, 2017 4:34:59 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

1 user liked this post.
#11 Posted : Tuesday, June 13, 2017 4:51:09 AM(UTC)
In this video here, you will notice that the inside of every single corner is "graced" by tire walls, as in FM6.

They wouldn't be there if Turn10 had done anything else about corner cutting, I fear.

http://www.isrtv.com/for...ve-e3-2017-wheel-pedals/
 1 user liked this post.
#12 Posted : Tuesday, June 13, 2017 5:23:56 AM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: gairsy101 Go to Quoted Post

Quote:

On the gamersyde video the summary says friction assist "enables maximum traction on every surface"

https://youtu.be/3_Mmy3w6x1M

That sound so stupid.... I thought it was going to be like the sticky grass and being able to change the intensity (good for people setting up their own game as they get to choose, cat and mouse games would benefit from being able to disable it).

Edit: after reading the article this feature has nothing to do with preventing corner cutting, it's a feature to make the game more accessible to beginners. You can set how badly you lose grip when you run off the road/track, that's it.

Edited by user Tuesday, June 13, 2017 5:37:21 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

2 users liked this post.
#13 Posted : Tuesday, June 13, 2017 5:28:40 AM(UTC)
Very nice. This makes me very happy. Some are in sneaky places that corner cutters won't realize till the come around.

-k
 2 users liked this post.
#14 Posted : Tuesday, June 13, 2017 5:44:15 AM(UTC)
FM7 have got to work hard to get this part right in multiplayer lobbies.

AKA: SP01LED JAM1E.
Twitter = @PTG_Jamie
 2 users liked this post.
#15 Posted : Tuesday, June 13, 2017 6:35:30 AM(UTC)
We asked for a penalty system to stop cutters and this is what they came up with. I'm sorry for being skeptical with limited information and i genuinely hope it works. But seriously t10 stop trying reinvent the wheel the best ideas are the simplest
 1 user liked this post.
#16 Posted : Tuesday, June 13, 2017 6:36:01 AM(UTC)
https://twitter.com/PJ_T...atus/874634871238516736

I've sent a tweet to various Turn 10 people asking about this. No guarantee that they'll answer of course (busy people and all that) but if you're also curious about Friction Assist then it might be worth adding questions to this tweet and seeing if we get more info.
 3 users liked this post.
#17 Posted : Tuesday, June 13, 2017 7:04:22 AM(UTC)
Q: "Will this feature be single-player only?"

A: "Its an option in all modes, but we expect it to get most of it's usage in single player and split screen modes."
- Dan Greenawalt^

A: "Like all assists in game options players can create hoppers with it disabled. Higher tier multiplayer leagues will also have it disabled."
- Bill Giese^
 1 user liked this post.
#18 Posted : Tuesday, June 13, 2017 7:12:10 AM(UTC)
Sounds like it'll be allowed in Public Hoppers but kudos to them for the quick responses.

Hopefully it won't affect the cleanliness of the Hopper experience too much. Private Lobbies and Leagues are good but don't have the same "pick up and play" feeling as Hoppers.
#19 Posted : Tuesday, June 13, 2017 7:31:43 AM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: PJTierney Go to Quoted Post

Hopefully it won't affect the cleanliness of the Hopper experience too much.

LOL

#20 Posted : Tuesday, June 13, 2017 7:51:24 AM(UTC)
Well as long as those tires make their way onto every track this issue will then be a moot point.

-k
#21 Posted : Friday, September 1, 2017 1:42:43 AM(UTC)
Do you think they will use Friction Assist sticky grass instead of walls to stop corner cutting? So instead of a wall there is a super sticky patch of grass? It will still deter corner cutting but make the circuits look more realistic.
Then in single player the AI cars could be less effected by the grass as they would never deliberately corner cut so we also wouldn't get the AI crashing into the wall constantly and getting stuck.

Edited by user Friday, September 1, 2017 1:43:32 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

#22 Posted : Friday, September 1, 2017 3:41:39 AM(UTC)
If my memory serves me right they had the sticky grass for awhile but some drivers were using it to their advantage. They would over change a corner and lightly hit just the edge of the sticky grass to quickly slow them but just a small amount of speed to make the corner better. They would in essence skim the sticky grass and use it as a Benifit instead of a deterrent. At least that is how I understood it, I never did it so I don't know how it worked for sure but there have been several threads I out this in past Forza games. It worked almost the opposite of wall running.wallrunning held you in the corner so you could go faster around that corner where sticky grass quickly slows you so you can go into the corner faster as I understand it.
#23 Posted : Friday, September 1, 2017 3:45:27 AM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: ReturnOfThaMAC Go to Quoted Post
Do you think they will use Friction Assist sticky grass instead of walls to stop corner cutting? So instead of a wall there is a super sticky patch of grass? It will still deter corner cutting but make the circuits look more realistic.
Then in single player the AI cars could be less effected by the grass as they would never deliberately corner cut so we also wouldn't get the AI crashing into the wall constantly and getting stuck.

Friction assist only helps give more traction on the grass so people can get back on the track
#24 Posted : Friday, September 1, 2017 5:52:56 AM(UTC)
^ I wonder if with the introduction of the friction assist they have made grass and some of the off track section have less grip to make it a bit more realistic
 1 user liked this post.
#25 Posted : Friday, September 1, 2017 5:56:57 AM(UTC)
Doesn't matter what they do unless lobby settings for this are consistent across the board for all competitors in a race.

-k
3 Pages123Next

Notification

Icon
Error