This site uses cookies for analytics and personalized content. By continuing to browse this site, you agree to this use. Learn more
#1 Posted : Monday, November 7, 2016 11:24:51 AM(UTC)
What is the business strategy around apex? What is Turn 10's strategy here?
 1 user liked this post.
#2 Posted : Monday, November 7, 2016 11:42:57 AM(UTC)
Just like any other company. Maximise Profits. I see this as a teaser for PC users for Forza 7 since there is a fair bit of competition on the PC side of things.
 1 user liked this post.
#3 Posted : Monday, November 7, 2016 2:39:39 PM(UTC)
It was supposed to be a teaser for PC players new to the series.
"...and to avoid a rant the size of Jupiter, I will end my reply here." -VerrucktSchakal
 4 users liked this post.
User is suspended until 4/12/2045 3:18:22 AM(UTC)
#4 Posted : Monday, November 7, 2016 2:57:21 PM(UTC)
It's mostly a tech demo for future PC titles they now try to milk some money out with the premium version.

Apex in itself is massively boring IMO, if you are racing on a PC and you want to ignore all the great sims out there like Assetto Corsa, iRacing and the likes, and for some reason you really want to play a Turn 10 game, then I suggest you wait until september 2017 and get FM7 and benefit a full game instead of a glorified tech demo.
@sofa: XBO 1TB + Elite Controller ~ Samsung 65" SUHD curved 3D LED TV ~ 5.1 surround home theatre
@rig: XBO 1TB ~ obutto r3volution ~ Thrustmaster TX + T3PA + TH8A + Leather 28 GT ~ Samsung 50" 3D Plasma TV ~ H&K Soundsticks III
#5 Posted : Monday, November 7, 2016 3:54:47 PM(UTC)
With PC hardware requirements for the game aimed at the very high end, they right there guarantee that the game will reach a limited market - not a good strategy. I really don't know who they're focusing this Apex edition on, for real !
" If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari. "
- Gilles Villeneuve

2 users liked this post.
#6 Posted : Monday, November 7, 2016 8:06:01 PM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: Breyzipp Go to Quoted Post
It's mostly a tech demo for future PC titles they now try to milk some money out with the premium version.

Apex in itself is massively boring IMO, if you are racing on a PC and you want to ignore all the great sims out there like Assetto Corsa, iRacing and the likes, and for some reason you really want to play a Turn 10 game, then I suggest you wait until september 2017 and get FM7 and benefit a full game instead of a glorified tech demo.

I beg to differ. Apex is a free introduction. It is not boring. AC Iracing Pcars. They are not free. This is for the base game and people still whinge. Most people, including me, will have both Apex and Forza 7 when it comes out. But there is a it of a wait. This is a good way to get practicing on each of the tracks. The only thing I would want is the upgrade system active so we can test and tune. That would make me very happy with it.

Edited by user Monday, November 7, 2016 8:06:35 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

1 user liked this post.
#7 Posted : Monday, November 7, 2016 11:41:08 PM(UTC)

It's not really a tech demo, it's a testbed for future Forza games on PC to test stability find issues NOW and iron them out prior to launch. Given the problems of FH3 and lack of information forthcoming from T10 about what they are doing to fix FH3, Apex may just stop this sort of mess from happening in their future titles.

I have had Assetto Corsa since early access, they lost my interest and further cash by failing to implement full crossfire support, I play in eyefinity and cannot for the life of me understand the lack of crossfire support these days in many games. on top of that it stutters like a dog in eyefinity on my system and I've tried all the fixes I can find, it USED to work but now doesn't.....
https://youtu.be/5OlD3aVk4-g

At least Apex isn't a stuttering mess with tanking fps for no discernible reason, last time I tried Assetto was like going back to the old Hanna Barbera cartoons...... I get better fps in apex on a single card than I do with Assetto on 1 screen..

Just bought the Apex premium pack so I'm off to run the green hell........... laters......

#8 Posted : Tuesday, November 8, 2016 2:44:48 AM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: SRS13Rastus Go to Quoted Post

Just bought the Apex premium pack so I'm off to run the green hell........... laters......

Green Hell at night = absolutely awesome. They should have a leaderboard for fastest times sorted by car.

#9 Posted : Tuesday, November 22, 2016 1:15:11 PM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: SRS13Rastus Go to Quoted Post

It's not really a tech demo, it's a testbed for future Forza games on PC to test stability find issues NOW and iron them out prior to launch. Given the problems of FH3 and lack of information forthcoming from T10 about what they are doing to fix FH3, Apex may just stop this sort of mess from happening in their future titles.

I have had Assetto Corsa since early access, they lost my interest and further cash by failing to implement full crossfire support, I play in eyefinity and cannot for the life of me understand the lack of crossfire support these days in many games. on top of that it stutters like a dog in eyefinity on my system and I've tried all the fixes I can find, it USED to work but now doesn't.....
https://youtu.be/5OlD3aVk4-g

At least Apex isn't a stuttering mess with tanking fps for no discernible reason, last time I tried Assetto was like going back to the old Hanna Barbera cartoons...... I get better fps in apex on a single card than I do with Assetto on 1 screen..

Quite the opposite for me:
Have Assetto Corsa since early access, too...after a few patches, it runs absolutely smooth even on older systems now. Something i cannot say for Apex, massive fps loss from stable 60fps to constant 20fps after 2 rounds on any track. No over-heating issues, nothing, that indicates a hardware problem/throttling.
And APEX does not even support 21:9...which Horizon does. So it is a tech demo for me still.
Handling is maybe en par with PCARS, but not comparable to AC. And it offers less tracks, cars, on no Porsche DLC. Did invest in FH3, but APEX has no USP benefits for me...not going to buy it.

Edited by user Tuesday, November 22, 2016 11:42:37 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Fanatec CSW base V2 - PORSCHE 918 RSR wheel - CS pedals V2 - CS shifter v1.5 | TrackIR 5
#10 Posted : Friday, December 9, 2016 8:41:14 AM(UTC)
They want us to beta test the mechanics of FM7 for free and to make additional money from microtransactions. Feels like a low blow to PC gamers in my opinion.
#11 Posted : Friday, December 9, 2016 11:51:28 AM(UTC)
If it makes the PC experience of FM7 better than that being suffered by a lot of FH3 PC players then it isn't such a bad thing...

I mistakenly use APEX as a test before buying FH3 thinking if one worked OK then the other should as well I couldn't have been more wrong and ended up getting a X Box ONE S and 40" 4K TV to play it on instead at a fraction of the price of my GPU and 5K Monitor...
It's not a Question of whether the Glass is 1/2 Full or 1/2 Empty - A man dying of thirst would be happy to get his hands on either...

#12 Posted : Tuesday, April 18, 2017 7:46:50 PM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: SimRacerQ Go to Quoted Post
With PC hardware requirements for the game aimed at the very high end, they right there guarantee that the game will reach a limited market - not a good strategy. I really don't know who they're focusing this Apex edition on, for real !

It's really not that high end at all.

a phenom II with 8 gigs of DDR2 ram, and a radeon HD7950 all from 6 years ago will run this game fine @ 1080 medium.

just don't bring legit junk to a race, and you'll do fine.
#13 Posted : Tuesday, April 18, 2017 7:47:30 PM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: DrBaconAnthony Go to Quoted Post
They want us to beta test the mechanics of FM7 for free and to make additional money from microtransactions. Feels like a low blow to PC gamers in my opinion.

You won't take the hits if you don't buy the DLC *shrug*
#14 Posted : Thursday, April 20, 2017 5:12:59 AM(UTC)
I loved buying the Premium Edition and I actually want more DLC. Especially events.
#15 Posted : Monday, July 17, 2017 12:25:22 AM(UTC)
I might be easy pleased but it looks awesome and plays awesome. T10 magic

Notification

Icon
Error