3 Pages123Next
Rank: On the Podium
 4 users liked this post.
#1 Posted : Wednesday, March 19, 2014 8:39:45 AM(UTC)
This guide is aimed at people starting to tune, if you're looking for advance information, I would redirect you to WormBurner Guide :
http://forums.forzamotor...tst221_Tuning-Guide.aspx

This is gonna be basic to help you get into it.
Feel free to ask question.


Before we begin:
If you don't understand the terms « Understeer » and « Oversteer »;
http://en.wikipedia.org/...Understeer_and_oversteer
Those are important term if you look to start tuning.

Before we Begin II :
Which order should you tune :
The car should be tuned as a whole. Each part affect another.Start by the parts you're sure you understand. Then, save your tune and go for the parts you know less about, this way you can always come back to your original tune.
If you're really looking for an order, here the order I do it most of the time :
Tire
Gearing
Brake
Differential
Spring
Damping
Anti-roll bar
Aero


Lets begin

Tire :
Optimal grip for tire is achieved around 32-35 psi. Personally I try to get them as close as possible to 32 pi.

Front tire
Higher PSI = More grip on front tire/Less on Rear

Rear
Higher PSI= More Grip on Rear/Less on front

Note : If you do rivals, you should make sure your tire are stable at this PSI,
If you more in « 3 laps races », you should make sure to be at the right psi for as long as possible.



Gearing :

Short answer :
Higher gearing : More accel / Less top speed.

Longer Answer :
Too long and you wont have enough accellaration, too short and you will end up losing time as you will always shifting between gear, and your top speed wont be high enough.

Options 1 :
Go with the sport transmission Then go on the track you're tuning for, find the fastest part of the track, and adjust the final drive so you'll come as close a possible to the red line on your last gear.

Options 2 : Find your max HP, and tune your transmission so when you'll shift, you'll end up about 750-1250 rpm under your max HP.

Options 3 :Learn more about shifting and powerband;)


Alignement

Camber

I think this image pretty much explain it :
http://www.uniquecarsand...t_works/suspension_9.jpg


Front and rear :

Positive Camber :
You probably don't wanna run Positive camber (In Forza).

Negative camber :
You want to run Negative camber, usualy -1,0 or more. Too much and it will be less effective. You need to find the sweet spot.


Toe :
https://encrypted-tbn1.g...OnQGySxV4tjS2tiIJ6LW8TXH

Toe-in= Positive degree Toe-out = Negative Degree

Toe IN improve stability
Toe Out provides  turning response

Excessive toe-in makes the car unresponsive and doughy to turn-in,
Excessive toe-out makes the car nervous and lacking in directional stability.



Caster :
Image:
http://2.bp.blogspot.com...DPXOFEQ/s1600/caster.jpg

Caster starts at 5,0 degree. To make it simple, more caster = more camber during turn. Too much caster and you'll loose stability.


Anti-roll bars :
Stiffer front : Decrease oversteer
Stiffer Rear : Decrease understeer

Springs :
Reduce oversteer by stiffening the front springs or softening the rear.
Reduce understeer by softening the front springs or stiffening the rear


Ride Height :
To quote Wormburner :
«Keep this as low as possible without the car bottoming out »

Damping
Reduce understeer by softening the front dampers or stiffening the rear.
Reduce oversteer by stiffening the fronts and softening the rear

Usualy run bump at around 70 % of rebound.


Aero :
Add Front downforce :
More front stability/Braking
Less Accel//Top speed

Add Rear downforce :
More Rear stability/Braking
Less Accel//Top speed


Braking
Brake balance :
You need to balance so the front and rear wheels lock about the same time. More on the front and you wont have optimal braking, more on the rear and it will feel very unstable, and probably cause oversteer at the corner entrance,

Brake Pressure :
This wont make the car brake more, it will only make tge trigger more sensible.


Differential :
During a turn, a car inside and outside wheels doesnt turn at the same speed. It's the differential that make the magic happen. During straight line, the wheels are gonna be locked together. The Decel setting is gonna set when the wheels unlock, and the Accel setting is gonna set when they lock back together. For a rear wheel drive car:

Accel :
A too high % here, and it will cause corner exit oversteer. Too low and the driving wheels accelleration wont be optimized (Sometime will cause one of the driving wheel to lose grip)


Decel :
A too low % here, and the car will have oversteer on corner entrance. Too high and the driving wheels braking wont be optimized (Sometime will cause one of the driving wheel to lose grip)

Distribution Front/rear (AWD only):
More at the front, and the car will act more like a FWD car, more at the back and it will act more like a RWD.

Edited by user Tuesday, December 9, 2014 3:15:07 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Rank: R-Class Racing License
 1 user liked this post.
User is suspended until 11/28/2042 2:06:57 PM(UTC)
#2 Posted : Wednesday, March 19, 2014 8:44:01 AM(UTC)
Save gearing for last. Build/tune changes will affect gears.


Just stop. Just sayin.
Rank: On the Podium
#3 Posted : Wednesday, March 19, 2014 8:46:47 AM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: ECT Loco UBoG Go to Quoted Post
Save gearing for last. Build/tune changes will affect gears.


Well, the racing trany isnt very good on lower class, so you need to do a quick tune first.
Rank: R-Class Racing License
User is suspended until 11/28/2042 2:06:57 PM(UTC)
#4 Posted : Wednesday, March 19, 2014 9:12:59 AM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: Drows24 Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: ECT Loco UBoG Go to Quoted Post
Save gearing for last. Build/tune changes will affect gears.


Well, the racing trany isnt very good on lower class, so you need to do a quick tune first.


Even if you have sport you should probably save it for last. Since we're going with lower classes, depending on the engine swap, street trans would be the first choice.

Edited by user Wednesday, March 19, 2014 9:15:38 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified



Just stop. Just sayin.
Rank: D-Class Racing License
 3 users liked this post.
#5 Posted : Wednesday, March 19, 2014 9:49:07 AM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: Drows24 Go to Quoted Post


Before we Begin II :
Which order should you tune :
The car should be tuned as a whole. Each part affect another.Start by the parts you're sure you understand. Then, save your tune and go for the parts you know less about, this way you can always come back to your original tune.
If you're really looking for an order, here the order I do it most of the time :
Tire
Gearing
Brake
Differential
Spring
Damping
Anti-roll bar
Aero



I would love to see somebody describe in detail an advanced approach at this. Maybe describe what to look for in each item before moving on. And explaining when to come back.

I just need more time off work :/
Rank: On the Podium
 2 users liked this post.
#6 Posted : Wednesday, March 19, 2014 1:06:51 PM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: ECT Loco UBoG Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Drows24 Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: ECT Loco UBoG Go to Quoted Post
Save gearing for last. Build/tune changes will affect gears.


Well, the racing trany isnt very good on lower class, so you need to do a quick tune first.


Even if you have sport you should probably save it for last. Since we're going with lower classes, depending on the engine swap, street trans would be the first choice.

Well, I think you can do at least a quick FD tune prior to everything.
And you tune for the best use of the powerband it can be done first
Rank: On the Podium
 2 users liked this post.
#7 Posted : Wednesday, March 19, 2014 1:16:49 PM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: EliteApices Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Drows24 Go to Quoted Post


Before we Begin II :
Which order should you tune :
The car should be tuned as a whole. Each part affect another.Start by the parts you're sure you understand. Then, save your tune and go for the parts you know less about, this way you can always come back to your original tune.
If you're really looking for an order, here the order I do it most of the time :
Tire
Gearing
Brake
Differential
Spring
Damping
Anti-roll bar
Aero



I would love to see somebody describe in detail an advanced approach at this. Maybe describe what to look for in each item before moving on. And explaining when to come back.

I just need more time off work :/

Well tuning is like an art, to each its own way.
I could do a little "How to" of how I personnaly do it or something.

Rank: D-Class Racing License
#8 Posted : Wednesday, March 19, 2014 1:24:46 PM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: Drows24 Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: EliteApices Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Drows24 Go to Quoted Post


Before we Begin II :
Which order should you tune :
The car should be tuned as a whole. Each part affect another.Start by the parts you're sure you understand. Then, save your tune and go for the parts you know less about, this way you can always come back to your original tune.
If you're really looking for an order, here the order I do it most of the time :
Tire
Gearing
Brake
Differential
Spring
Damping
Anti-roll bar
Aero



I would love to see somebody describe in detail an advanced approach at this. Maybe describe what to look for in each item before moving on. And explaining when to come back.

I just need more time off work :/

Well tuning is like an art, to each its own way.
I could do a little "How to" of how I personnaly do it or something.



Would you say that your tunes are competitive? If so I'm sure I could pick something up.
Rank: On the Podium
#9 Posted : Wednesday, March 19, 2014 1:36:54 PM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: EliteApices Go to Quoted Post


Would you say that your tunes are competitive? If so I'm sure I could pick something up.


I never really tuned for the leaderboard, so I don't really know. If I had a driver that could give me feedback on the car, I could try to.
But people who asked me tune, were mostly casual players.
Rank: A-Class Racing License
#10 Posted : Wednesday, March 19, 2014 1:47:36 PM(UTC)
Drows,

I respect your effort and for the most part think its a good writeup, however I feel as though this is a "reader beware". I have never personally driven any of your tunes so I don't know there capability, but I personally find it hard to take advice from an average driver. You may however be a great tuner as I said I don't know. But with only 3 top 500 times in a relatively new game where top 100's are still relatively easy it makes me a bit weary. You did however say this was a begginer writeup so should be good for most newer people.

Also I would change the order of the tuning as well.

Tire
Gearing
Brake
Differential
Spring
Damping
Anti-roll bar
Aero

Tyre
Spring
Differential
ARB
Dampening
Gearing
Aero
Brake
Gearing (as in fine tuning if you have a race gearbox, or adjusting final drive as aero can greatly change where your max speed is.)
Tyre (meaning once you are satisfied with everything else go back and check your tyres again, Once you change springs and downforce etc, the tire pressures can change drastically)


PTG Home

Race Team
Tester
Tuner
Rank: On the Podium
 1 user liked this post.
#11 Posted : Wednesday, March 19, 2014 2:15:14 PM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: TorriderGull8 Go to Quoted Post
Drows,

I respect your effort and for the most part think its a good writeup, however I feel as though this is a "reader beware". I have never personally driven any of your tunes so I don't know there capability, but I personally find it hard to take advice from an average driver. You may however be a great tuner as I said I don't know. But with only 3 top 500 times in a relatively new game where top 100's are still relatively easy it makes me a bit weary. You did however say this was a begginer writeup so should be good for most newer people.



3 top 500 time for someone who doesnt do rival and run he's own tune, I think its quite good.

As for the order of tunes, Its only to give a basic idea

Edited by user Wednesday, March 19, 2014 2:16:04 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Rank: D-Class Racing License
#12 Posted : Wednesday, March 19, 2014 2:44:42 PM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: Drows24 Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: TorriderGull8 Go to Quoted Post
Drows,

I respect your effort and for the most part think its a good writeup, however I feel as though this is a "reader beware". I have never personally driven any of your tunes so I don't know there capability, but I personally find it hard to take advice from an average driver. You may however be a great tuner as I said I don't know. But with only 3 top 500 times in a relatively new game where top 100's are still relatively easy it makes me a bit weary. You did however say this was a begginer writeup so should be good for most newer people.



3 top 500 time for someone who doesnt do rival and run he's own tune, I think its quite good.

As for the order of tunes, Its only to give a basic idea


As a note, I did a really quick count, and I have 6 or 7 top 200, 8 top 100, and 5 top 50 in s class alone. Thats all I drive really. Half of that is downloaded tunes (the better half) and half is my own.

Do you have anything you want to test out in S Class? Give me a tune and an idea or two of where to drive it and Ill be happy to give you some feedback. I know how it can be. I put up 4 or 5 top 200 times with my own tune, posted here for comments, and never got any feedback at all. Ill have about an hour after 9 eastern tonight to try some stuff out. Let me know.

P.S. if its downloadable, I like my brakes 52 or 53 and 125. Im not scared of overpowered cars. And I use Sim steering with no other assists.

Edited by user Wednesday, March 19, 2014 2:46:59 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Rank: On the Podium
#13 Posted : Wednesday, March 19, 2014 2:55:44 PM(UTC)
lol, not sure what you're looking for Elite.
Your looking for tune or you want me to prove that I can ?
Rank: D-Class Racing License
#14 Posted : Wednesday, March 19, 2014 3:17:29 PM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: Drows24 Go to Quoted Post
lol, not sure what you're looking for Elite.
Your looking for tune or you want me to prove that I can ?


Lol. You just had mentioned "if you had a driver"... Trust me I'm not on here to prove anything. Just to learn and help. That's all bud.
Rank: On the Podium
#15 Posted : Wednesday, March 19, 2014 3:28:28 PM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: EliteApices Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Drows24 Go to Quoted Post
lol, not sure what you're looking for Elite.
Your looking for tune or you want me to prove that I can ?


Lol. You just had mentioned "if you had a driver"... Trust me I'm not on here to prove anything. Just to learn and help. That's all bud.


Well, I can try.
Not because I want to prove something, but simply to know if I can...
Rank: D-Class Racing License
#16 Posted : Wednesday, March 19, 2014 3:42:56 PM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: Drows24 Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: EliteApices Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Drows24 Go to Quoted Post
lol, not sure what you're looking for Elite.
Your looking for tune or you want me to prove that I can ?


Lol. You just had mentioned "if you had a driver"... Trust me I'm not on here to prove anything. Just to learn and help. That's all bud.


Well, I can try.
Not because I want to prove something, but simply to know if I can...


Sweet! I'm willing to try anything.
Rank: On the Podium
#17 Posted : Wednesday, March 19, 2014 4:02:43 PM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: EliteApices Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Drows24 Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: EliteApices Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Drows24 Go to Quoted Post
lol, not sure what you're looking for Elite.
Your looking for tune or you want me to prove that I can ?


Lol. You just had mentioned "if you had a driver"... Trust me I'm not on here to prove anything. Just to learn and help. That's all bud.


Well, I can try.
Not because I want to prove something, but simply to know if I can...


Sweet! I'm willing to try anything.


Any prefered track ?
Rank: D-Class Racing License
#18 Posted : Wednesday, March 19, 2014 5:39:24 PM(UTC)
I'm a little tired of alps and prague. But anything else will do.
Rank: On the Podium
#19 Posted : Wednesday, March 19, 2014 7:27:17 PM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: EliteApices Go to Quoted Post
I'm a little tired of alps and prague. But anything else will do.


ok, gonna work on it tommorow morning.
Rank: On the Podium
#20 Posted : Thursday, March 20, 2014 8:09:50 AM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: EliteApices Go to Quoted Post
I'm a little tired of alps and prague. But anything else will do.


PM for your
Rank: D-Class Racing License
 1 user liked this post.
#21 Posted : Thursday, March 20, 2014 2:16:26 PM(UTC)
As a reference to people reading... I did try out a tune by Drows24 just today and took down my PB by almost 7 10ths in a few laps. Very stable great handling tune.
Rank: On the Podium
#22 Posted : Friday, March 21, 2014 7:38:35 PM(UTC)
Thanks for the update EliteApices. I am glad that the Drows24 tune gave you a positive "kick". Do you guys mind sharing (not necessarily the exact details) some of the key contributors of the tune that allowed you to get a better PB. Thanks!


DJ Saoco
Rank: Racing Permit
#23 Posted : Saturday, March 22, 2014 4:54:38 AM(UTC)
Anything that helps beginners is great for the game! Very nice Post/Thread.
Rank: On the Podium
#24 Posted : Tuesday, March 25, 2014 4:18:22 AM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: RelaxedPRKid Go to Quoted Post
Thanks for the update EliteApices. I am glad that the Drows24 tune gave you a positive "kick". Do you guys mind sharing (not necessarily the exact details) some of the key contributors of the tune that allowed you to get a better PB. Thanks!


S-Class F50 on laguna Seca. He's now something like 280 position.
Rank: On the Podium
#25 Posted : Tuesday, March 25, 2014 7:32:08 AM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: Drows24 Go to Quoted Post

S-Class F50 on laguna Seca. He's now something like 280 position.


Thanks Drows.....so he obviously got a ~"better" tune than what he had and was able to post a better time (new PB). Tune/build was faster, thus, why [what helped him]? Thanks!


DJ Saoco
3 Pages123Next

Notification

Icon
Error