6 Pages<<456Prev
 1 user liked this post.
User is suspended until 5/11/4755 6:38:30 AM(UTC)
#126 Posted : Monday, April 24, 2017 7:41:59 PM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: dragonhart6505 Go to Quoted Post
Imma just leave this here...

Phenom II x4 955 C2 @3.7ghz
Rx460 4gb
5400rpm HDD
8gb 1333mhz DDR3

Locked 30FPS
1080p/2x AA/16x AF/Shadows High/Environments High/Static High/Dynamic High/FXAA Off/everything else Medium or off where available

Not even a stutter. What is it with y'all and your terrible performance on such high end rigs in these forums? Sure the game is poorly optimized and I'm not playing at 4k obviously, but damn I'm seriously below recommended specs.

I know, pics or it didn't happen. Don't worry, I got it coming in a bit

Dragonhart..... it isn't that everyone here can't render the game; it is more to do with the randomness of a rig setup to run it.
I have found that in the settings menu, choosing non standard options renders brilliant performance (still with a hodgepodge of issues though).
It is very much like the game has been intentionally crippled at very specific settings.
When I first got the game, having what I would call an 'unplayable experience' (mostly due to judders that would kill immersion when driving at high speed), I did my usual thing and went through every setting in the options, benchamrking for performance hit.
Some stuff was truly odd, like highest level of antialiasing offering vastly better framerate than lower levels. Using non standard screen resolutions would magically make most issues dissapear.

For the record my rig is about four-five years old, with a newer monitor and a three year old mid range graphics card; On a mix of High/Ultra settings I get an average framerate of about 67fps, with peaks up to 100, and lows, at worst case locations at 40. To be fair the lows of 40fps is what I ahve tweaked for being my 'adaptive v-sync' monitors low point that renders flawlessly to the screen.

The problems with the game, for many gamers here, is that their rigs generally will run, say, Ultra settings in EVERY OTHER GAME at high frame rates, and then they come to this title and it performs 'oddly'.

Every post I put up listing the 'downgrades' over the last four months worth of patches (won't list them again for fear of the normal thing happening) get removed, but trust me when I say that this game has not been optimised for a 'better experience'.
Admittedly some people get better framerates with newer versions of the game/creators update/newer drivers; and not wanting to sound close minded, but I would suggest they are not the larger player base...

Sure running hte game at or around thirty frames per second on hardware seven times more powerful than the console (that gets HDR textures and a vastly better, more consistant experience) might seem like something to be 'happy about', but shouldn't be given as a reason to have others not be vocal about this software title.

As an example, I turn my machine on today, and I now have laggy controller input and unplayable wheel settings, texture pass issues (something in Windows has changed recently), and about 5% lower framerate lows than I have had for nearly two months.

Yes I run an older branch of drivers, and technically, 'yes'; if Microsoft HAS changed the way DirectX12 does things (very likely) some of this stuff could be accounted for/understood.

What it really comes down to is that clearly the PC version has only had 'tweaks' that remove quality and make the experience subpar to what I had December last year (except for SSD load times/replay reloads). Now I don't mind if these 'tweaks' help out people on the cusp of running hte game.. but Ultra settings? Heck if I want reflection on my hood to the edge of my vehicle or higher update speeds for mirrors/shadows etc,.. let me. Ultra mode should allow the game to shine.. not be the one thing that might elevate this over the console version and then be dragged down so as not to be.....

Any communication from Devs, or any effort to address these issues, in a fair way,.. in line with EVERY OTHER PC RELEASE (for decades) is a FAIR EXPECTATION.

Everyone is happy to type YMMV (your mileage may vary) at the end of posts, but I have run this game on a range of video cards, range of processor speeds, and tweaked my computer specifically for this game (I literally have a clean Win 10 install with no extras just for this title).

This single piece of software represents just about the worst of the present state of software industry, at least with regards to Microsoft/Microsoft platform.

Are people championing how great the XBox is due to how poor this game is on PC? (YES!!)
Is the poor state of this game on PC generating Microsoft/XBox more $$$? (YES!!)
Are they happy to refund a tiny percent of the games total sales as a way to placate the issue? (YES!!)
Are regular PC gamers frustrated by the nature of this? (YES!!!!)

With regards to your rig- your RX460 is in fact the right card to run this title with.
DirectX12 requires specific hardware for its various 'paths'. As this game was made for a console, by some of the best programmers, they have squeezed a very efficient pass/process for the exact Video Card/Drivers that you chose to buy.
As a highlight to this, I had an Nvidia Kepler, a highly (factory) overclocked GTX780. The AMD equivalent around release time is the 290X.
For the first year or so of life, many software titles performed with very similar framerates between these two cards...
Benches of the 290X vs the GTX780 for this software title? (Lets just call this one an AMD optimised game shall we?!)

When I ran the GTX780 which does admittedly ONLY have 3GB of RAM (never been an issue for any other game)(and is above the industry average around the time this game was released) the game would complain endlessly. And on a System with 16GB of RAM, it would close the game down due to lack of memory if I so much as left my webbrowser open in the background (some stupidly aggresive setting to keep WAY TO MUCH MEM clear).

I have found ways to alleviate these issues, but the average user might not. Nor should they be expected to, given that this same rig runs every other title/game flawlessly.

Whilst I have never run GTA5 on my PC, The Witcher 3 in Ultra with Hairworks was doable (if, like this title we consider 30 frames per second doable). The difference? The Witcher ran without input lag (like most games),.. Forza on PC at the same 30 frames per second as the Xbox, would leave Xbox controllers, on PC with delays that the console version just doesn't have.

I might not be getting the point across elegantly, certainly this might seem like a rant... but...
I do care for this game.
I have enjoyed this game, and get frustrated with the fact that every other time I turn it on, even on a Windows rig built just for it, I get random failings and hindrances.

To confirm, I too have mid tier specs, have never had a crash of this software title (that I haven't fixed), and can get very fast framerates from it.
It does/has required very silly amounts of circumventative practices and tweaking to get to that stage. And at any random moment that work can be undone, and the experience made worse than any time previously.

Its almost like they don't want it to succeed on PC.
The problem is when a whole slew of other titles don't suffer the same issues it all starts to get a bit fishy..
Not to say it couldn't be fixed- just that it would require a motivation to do so. (And) nobody here is seeing that.

To confirm, recent changes have returned my game to slosh. Mostly due to controller issues, though some display changes have lowered my performance and introduced bugs that were not there. On top of a few intended 'tweaks' to this game that reduced quality, this is 'beyond frustration'. (Enough for posts like this one)
#127 Posted : Monday, April 24, 2017 9:45:46 PM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: whitedragem Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: dragonhart6505 Go to Quoted Post
Imma just leave this here...

Phenom II x4 955 C2 @3.7ghz
Rx460 4gb
5400rpm HDD
8gb 1333mhz DDR3

Locked 30FPS
1080p/2x AA/16x AF/Shadows High/Environments High/Static High/Dynamic High/FXAA Off/everything else Medium or off where available

Not even a stutter. What is it with y'all and your terrible performance on such high end rigs in these forums? Sure the game is poorly optimized and I'm not playing at 4k obviously, but damn I'm seriously below recommended specs.

I know, pics or it didn't happen. Don't worry, I got it coming in a bit

Dragonhart..... it isn't that everyone here can't render the game; it is more to do with the randomness of a rig setup to run it.
I have found that in the settings menu, choosing non standard options renders brilliant performance (still with a hodgepodge of issues though).
It is very much like the game has been intentionally crippled at very specific settings.
When I first got the game, having what I would call an 'unplayable experience' (mostly due to judders that would kill immersion when driving at high speed), I did my usual thing and went through every setting in the options, benchamrking for performance hit.
Some stuff was truly odd, like highest level of antialiasing offering vastly better framerate than lower levels. Using non standard screen resolutions would magically make most issues dissapear.

For the record my rig is about four-five years old, with a newer monitor and a three year old mid range graphics card; On a mix of High/Ultra settings I get an average framerate of about 67fps, with peaks up to 100, and lows, at worst case locations at 40. To be fair the lows of 40fps is what I ahve tweaked for being my 'adaptive v-sync' monitors low point that renders flawlessly to the screen.

The problems with the game, for many gamers here, is that their rigs generally will run, say, Ultra settings in EVERY OTHER GAME at high frame rates, and then they come to this title and it performs 'oddly'.

Every post I put up listing the 'downgrades' over the last four months worth of patches (won't list them again for fear of the normal thing happening) get removed, but trust me when I say that this game has not been optimised for a 'better experience'.
Admittedly some people get better framerates with newer versions of the game/creators update/newer drivers; and not wanting to sound close minded, but I would suggest they are not the larger player base...

Sure running hte game at or around thirty frames per second on hardware seven times more powerful than the console (that gets HDR textures and a vastly better, more consistant experience) might seem like something to be 'happy about', but shouldn't be given as a reason to have others not be vocal about this software title.

As an example, I turn my machine on today, and I now have laggy controller input and unplayable wheel settings, texture pass issues (something in Windows has changed recently), and about 5% lower framerate lows than I have had for nearly two months.

Yes I run an older branch of drivers, and technically, 'yes'; if Microsoft HAS changed the way DirectX12 does things (very likely) some of this stuff could be accounted for/understood.

What it really comes down to is that clearly the PC version has only had 'tweaks' that remove quality and make the experience subpar to what I had December last year (except for SSD load times/replay reloads). Now I don't mind if these 'tweaks' help out people on the cusp of running hte game.. but Ultra settings? Heck if I want reflection on my hood to the edge of my vehicle or higher update speeds for mirrors/shadows etc,.. let me. Ultra mode should allow the game to shine.. not be the one thing that might elevate this over the console version and then be dragged down so as not to be.....

Any communication from Devs, or any effort to address these issues, in a fair way,.. in line with EVERY OTHER PC RELEASE (for decades) is a FAIR EXPECTATION.

Everyone is happy to type YMMV (your mileage may vary) at the end of posts, but I have run this game on a range of video cards, range of processor speeds, and tweaked my computer specifically for this game (I literally have a clean Win 10 install with no extras just for this title).

This single piece of software represents just about the worst of the present state of software industry, at least with regards to Microsoft/Microsoft platform.

Are people championing how great the XBox is due to how poor this game is on PC? (YES!!)
Is the poor state of this game on PC generating Microsoft/XBox more $$$? (YES!!)
Are they happy to refund a tiny percent of the games total sales as a way to placate the issue? (YES!!)
Are regular PC gamers frustrated by the nature of this? (YES!!!!)

With regards to your rig- your RX460 is in fact the right card to run this title with.
DirectX12 requires specific hardware for its various 'paths'. As this game was made for a console, by some of the best programmers, they have squeezed a very efficient pass/process for the exact Video Card/Drivers that you chose to buy.
As a highlight to this, I had an Nvidia Kepler, a highly (factory) overclocked GTX780. The AMD equivalent around release time is the 290X.
For the first year or so of life, many software titles performed with very similar framerates between these two cards...
Benches of the 290X vs the GTX780 for this software title? (Lets just call this one an AMD optimised game shall we?!)

When I ran the GTX780 which does admittedly ONLY have 3GB of RAM (never been an issue for any other game)(and is above the industry average around the time this game was released) the game would complain endlessly. And on a System with 16GB of RAM, it would close the game down due to lack of memory if I so much as left my webbrowser open in the background (some stupidly aggresive setting to keep WAY TO MUCH MEM clear).

I have found ways to alleviate these issues, but the average user might not. Nor should they be expected to, given that this same rig runs every other title/game flawlessly.

Whilst I have never run GTA5 on my PC, The Witcher 3 in Ultra with Hairworks was doable (if, like this title we consider 30 frames per second doable). The difference? The Witcher ran without input lag (like most games),.. Forza on PC at the same 30 frames per second as the Xbox, would leave Xbox controllers, on PC with delays that the console version just doesn't have.

I might not be getting the point across elegantly, certainly this might seem like a rant... but...
I do care for this game.
I have enjoyed this game, and get frustrated with the fact that every other time I turn it on, even on a Windows rig built just for it, I get random failings and hindrances.

To confirm, I too have mid tier specs, have never had a crash of this software title (that I haven't fixed), and can get very fast framerates from it.
It does/has required very silly amounts of circumventative practices and tweaking to get to that stage. And at any random moment that work can be undone, and the experience made worse than any time previously.

Its almost like they don't want it to succeed on PC.
The problem is when a whole slew of other titles don't suffer the same issues it all starts to get a bit fishy..
Not to say it couldn't be fixed- just that it would require a motivation to do so. (And) nobody here is seeing that.

To confirm, recent changes have returned my game to slosh. Mostly due to controller issues, though some display changes have lowered my performance and introduced bugs that were not there. On top of a few intended 'tweaks' to this game that reduced quality, this is 'beyond frustration'. (Enough for posts like this one)

No, your point is very clear! I didn't mean to sound as if I was gloating "Haha my rig sucks but it's better than yours in this ONE GAME." Oh no, I've spent the past entire week going through every single trial and error troubleshoot technique I could find to get it running as it does (seriously...that 10yo CPU tho) and truthfully I'm not entirely happy with how it performs still. I'm on the cusp of coming to terms that I'm going to get as much as I have out of the game with the settings I've chosen and that's how it's going to be.
With my current rig and my 19 years experience in PC hardware/software I know where to look for the issues people are reporting and you're all right...this game is **** on PC for the sheer laziness of basically a graphically scaled down direct port just to keep the game running at "ideal" frames and that's just not acceptable. With such a budget behind them they could have taken more care and time to analyze its performance on more than just the latest and greatest hardware as it is not in an average consumers budget to pick up ridiculous parts just to run some cars around an inarguably beautiful landscape. I mean even the car customization gets lackluster after seeing a 1500hp Grand Cherokee outrun an Acura NSX/Bugatti Veyron. In the same vein of the requirements they're asking for, in no way is it practical. Impressive, but not practical. The game settings simply don't scale the performance well enough to justify turning anything down and no amount of upgrading the rig is worth the money and hassle to try for a better experience in the first place.
The game is clearly not meant for potato PC's they have made that very clear. But what they are expecting us to deal with considering the hardware more readily available to the average gamer, I shouldn't even be competing with the likes of 3/4 of the rigs in these discussions. It's simple to explain that the game is very poorly optimized and to try and shut everyone up they dumbed the game down and put on their shades..."Deal with it."
Bad move, bad experience for an overall pretty great racing game. I haven't put it down and that says something. [Mod Edit - Abbreviated profanity, profanity and profanity that is disguised but still alludes to the words are not permitted - D]
Their core audience is clearly console gamers and they know the nubs will eat it up...pop in and play with no tweaking involved. If that's the case, why even bother releasing a PC port in the first place when you don't want to make sure the experience can be level across the board no matter WHAT you're running on? If the system is capable it should prove it. Same for the devs...if you're capable and you know you are, you've done a bang up job trying to show it

Edited by user Tuesday, April 25, 2017 2:41:50 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

1 user liked this post.
#128 Posted : Sunday, April 30, 2017 9:50:12 AM(UTC)
I track all the systems, usage, volts, temps, loads and much more while my PC is running I do this on a 2nd monitor. I use an ASUS 27" G-sync monitor @ 2560x1440 @ 144Hz. My GPU is an EVGA 1080Ti FE with 11g of Vram running at a clock speed of 2037 and Mem @ 5540. My PC is an I7 6700 @4.5Hz with 32G of 3200 ram

I run forza 3 as stated at the highest settings the game has and see just under 6g (5724) of Vram usage. It runs flawless with the FPS unlocked...

Edited by user Sunday, May 21, 2017 8:53:48 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Added specs.

Forza Horizon 3/4 & Forza 7
Dell AW3418DW" G-sync, Logitech G29
I7 6700K@4.5. 32g ram, SSD, GTX1080TI FE @ 2012 & 5530 Full water cool setup.
#129 Posted : Tuesday, May 9, 2017 9:55:43 AM(UTC)
i have an intel 6820hk @ 4.2 ghz, a gtx 1070, 16gb ram with windows 10 and i can only run stable on high.
#130 Posted : Sunday, May 14, 2017 3:41:09 PM(UTC)
SPEC
i5 7600k @4800 MHZ
Z270
MSI GTX 1070 8GB SLI (latest official drives)
16 GB RAM 3200C
Samsung 960 EVO, 256GB NVme
4TB WD Blue 5400RPM

I thought I'd share my experience with you. I downloaded the demo in March and it run flawless at 2560x1440 60fps, everything on ultra. (Not SLI at this stage). When I downloaded the full game I decided to put it on my Western Digital Blue to save space on my system drive. The result was a horrible experience as the game, when free roaming, would basically freeze for 1 second every 5-10 seconds to load the next part of the environment... It took me a long time to figure out that it was the hard drive that was not keeping up with the game. Hence my first recommendation is to run this game on at least a 7200RPM disk, preferably SSD. If you are looking for ultra quality that is.

Second observation is that the game is much smoother when I lock it to 60FPS, same as the refresh rate of my screen. Even though I run SLI now and achieve 80+ FPS when unlocked, the smoothness disappears and the game simply looks much worse.

As everyone else I still experience frame drops when starting races in the rain forest, FPS drops to about 40ish. My lower FPS have improved using SLI though if anyone of you are wondering.

#131 Posted : Monday, May 15, 2017 7:13:59 AM(UTC)
i7 6700K @ 4.4
Zotac 1080 Amp (single card) @ 2 GHz
16 GB RAM
Intel 120 GB SSD , OS
1 TB non-SSD HDD, Apps/Games

AA turned off, full screen 3840 pixels × 2160. Turned off motion blur. I get 60+ FPS, but will drop to mid/high 40's in dense forests and cities. I don't really notice any lag or frame drops. I have not played the game in 3 months and just downloaded the blizzard / hot wheels expansion last night. The GPU was running at stock settings and I was averaging 40 fps with a lot of lag/stutter. Once I upped the GPU clock back to 2 GHz, it went back up to 60+ fps. YMMV.
#132 Posted : Monday, May 15, 2017 1:41:34 PM(UTC)
GTX1080TI 4K ULTRA AAX8 ALL MAX and ALWAYS more than 60fps !!!!

this game is now close to perfection !!!
Just need TH8RS H mod !!!
 1 user liked this post.
User is suspended until 5/11/4755 6:38:30 AM(UTC)
#133 Posted : Wednesday, June 14, 2017 5:54:53 AM(UTC)
[Mod edit - WSD - Editing a previously moderated post]
[Mod edit - WSD- Reposting a previously removed post]
[Moe edit - WSD - posting about moderation policy on the forums]

Edited by user Wednesday, June 14, 2017 6:36:01 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Changed a word, added another. Improved tone towards courtesy. keep copies of all posts ;-)

#134 Posted : Wednesday, January 24, 2018 4:50:27 AM(UTC)
i5-7500 + 16GB RAM
6GB GTX 1060 + 1080p monitor
FH3 installed on an SSD

With the basic specs of my setup above, I would have expected FH3 to run very nicely on my mid-range PC. And if you take the average frame rate it probably does - usually around 80-90fps at 1080p, even on the Ultra preset.
But, having returned to the game for the first time in what's been probably like 9 months, I am disappointed to see that it looks like my CPU is unable to keep up with this game at 1080p, regardless of quality setting. This CPU bottleneck results in massive stutters and freezes (with instantaneous fps readouts of low- to mid-20's) to the point where the game is nearly unplayable in a high performance vehicle, which is incredibly disappointing, considering: a) owning high performance cars I would consider as one of the goals of the game, and b) I paid up for the Ultimate Edition and now I get this? It's not impressive at all considering that I would argue that my system specs are fairly run of the mill yet I'm struggling big time to play the game here.

Edited by user Thursday, January 25, 2018 12:07:09 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

6 Pages<<456Prev

Notification

Icon
Error