2 Pages12Next
#1 Posted : Wednesday, September 14, 2016 9:05:57 AM(UTC)
Ok, stories in motorgames is a very hard thing to do, some made it well, some didn't.

At this point I really have to say that the german localization sucks big time again...they really carried all the bad voiceactors over all the way through FH2 into FH3...it really sounds like a cheap gentlemans movie....not that I know any...ehem....in the full game I'll be switching to english anyways, but it needed to be said!

So I was sceptical about the whole "You are the boss" thing, and I still am. Of course it would be kind of boring to be the underdog yet again, but I kind of like it that way.
Maybe a "You are the starracer" would have been interesting...anyways, I won't judge it right away and I don't think I care all too much in the longrun, but as it is there and we all need to go through it, I think it would be a nice idea to have a thread to talk about the stuff we like and dislike about the story line.

I really like some nice, funky storytelling so I really hope you guys put something fun into it. I mean I know some very funny Aussie people....it would be a shame to not include that 😬

So, how do you guys like the overall theme and story that we know till now and how do you think this will evolve? Or do you just don't care at all?
 2 users liked this post.
#2 Posted : Wednesday, September 14, 2016 9:09:55 AM(UTC)
I am not particularly concerned about the "story" at all, as this is a racing game at the end of the day, not an RPG. BUT, I like the fact that it isn't linear. You control the "story". You declare when you want to move on and when you want to expand and do new things.

Follow my Instagram, @mistahhdj
 1 user liked this post.
#3 Posted : Wednesday, September 14, 2016 9:10:46 AM(UTC)
Honestly, you still are an underdog because you're trying to make the festival the best in the world. It's more like a business/entrepreneur underdog. I think there's some potential, but I do miss the "story" in the first horizon with the distinct characters with back story and driving style.
 2 users liked this post.
#4 Posted : Thursday, September 15, 2016 1:12:57 AM(UTC)
Back in be day I would of said the story didn't matter and I was happy driving round exploring. Nowadays though I feel the story and the ability to manipulate the game is a crucial part of how much I will play a game.

For example, in assassins creed the main driving force for me to play the game was the fact I enjoyed being able to upgrade my ship/village and do so I had to progress through the game.

I've only played the demo for about 20mins but I really do like the idea of being able to progress and change the venues. This I can see will be a great influence in how much time I spend racing to gain fans.

since Forza 5 I have played each game less and less as Everthing was so achievable straight out of the box. Made worse by the Forza rewards giving out huge lump sums of cash.

I'm really hoping this game will force me to work for that Ferrari instead of being handed it on a plate at level 5. The game becomes very boring quickly that way.
 1 user liked this post.
User is suspended until 4/12/2045 3:18:22 AM(UTC)
#5 Posted : Thursday, September 15, 2016 1:37:36 AM(UTC)
So far i have not seen much of the "you are the boss" but that might be because the demo is basically the start of the game. But the game is sending me to the first festival location, it is not my choice. The (full) game is making me choose between 4 cars and later 4 SUVs, not ANY car. It all felt very linear at first but I don't really mind that either since that linear part is also cleverly used as a bit of a hidden tutorial as you start playing.

Maybe being the boss comes into play later on. We get to choose between the outback and SP for the second festival location, that is already a choice. I think later on we get to choose more between expanding to new locations or upgrading existing ones.

As far as races go, so far there has been not much choice either but I believe further in the full game we will get to decide in the singleplayer camping about which car divisions we do a particular race with and that would be nice.

I'll keep the final judgement about the story and being the boss for somewhere near the end of September. :)

Edited by user Thursday, September 15, 2016 1:39:03 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

@sofa: XBO 1TB + Elite Controller ~ Samsung 65" SUHD curved 3D LED TV ~ 5.1 surround home theatre
@rig: XBO 1TB ~ obutto r3volution ~ Thrustmaster TX + T3PA + TH8A + Leather 28 GT ~ Samsung 50" 3D Plasma TV ~ H&K Soundsticks III
#6 Posted : Thursday, September 15, 2016 8:40:53 AM(UTC)
The one thing in the demo that made me wonder is:
I (the boss) get flown to Australia in a private jet but then I don't have a fancy car right away....hmmmmm

It's a thing in FH2 as well. I was very excited to grind down the championships but when I won the first big race, the game was some sort of over for me....even though it continued. There were only few special races and the barn finds were quite fast in my garage. The long term motivation to race on wasn't really there...so I only drive around and do stupid things for a few spare minutes or an hour. That's something I really have hope into FH3, even though the first impression isn't on par.....but I'll see...
 3 users liked this post.
#7 Posted : Thursday, September 15, 2016 2:41:46 PM(UTC)
If it means I can avoid doing offroad rally races in million-dollar supercars that weren't ever meant to see an unpaved surface (let alone go charging through the underbrush), I'm all for it.

Driving Zondas and Veyrons thru the mud was the sillyest thing in FH2, real immersion-killing.
"Precision, finesse, and handling will ALWAYS be defeated by shouting, smoking, and POWER."

-Jeremy Clarkson, explaining how an AMG Merc beat a Maserati on TG track.

I ONLY TUNE GUITARS
 1 user liked this post.
#8 Posted : Thursday, September 15, 2016 3:03:46 PM(UTC)
So, I'm the Boss? I don't know about that, so far I feel like she's the boss, *hears whip cracking in the background*

#9 Posted : Thursday, September 15, 2016 3:52:29 PM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: Dante3003 Go to Quoted Post
I (the boss) get flown to Australia in a private jet but then I don't have a fancy car right away....hmmmmm

That is a bit of fridge brilliance in the game, IMHO - although I can't tell if it was intentional or not. If you're buying the Ultimate Edition and have a high enough Rewards tier / have played enough past Forza game, you should be getting something close to 30 cars for free at launch (with the VIP car, the Motorsport pack and the Rewards); including but not limited to the brand-new Koenigsegg Regera, Lamborghini Aventador SV and Ferrari F12 tdf (which are part of the VIP pack and should cost like a small jet alone). And they don't say you'll be needing your first car; they're just saying you need a car to race and giving you a choice of several cars which should excel in the kind of racing that's on the menu so far.

Surely beats being told, "hey, take a free car, you need a car to go around!" while you have a Ferrari P3 waiting for you.
FH4 Paints | Gallery
#10 Posted : Thursday, September 15, 2016 11:22:12 PM(UTC)
Hmm. Seen lots of bosses to for example music festivals etc. Doesn't mean they have a lot of money. A lot of it is backed up by the government giving support money. Just cause your boss doesn't automatically mean that you're filthy rich. And can pay everything from your own pocket. The person we are is just trying to create a great festival. Starting small and building it up.
#11 Posted : Thursday, September 15, 2016 11:30:15 PM(UTC)
Tbh all four of the starter cars are pretty damn fancy to me. :P
#12 Posted : Thursday, September 15, 2016 11:35:11 PM(UTC)
for me if i feel i am making progress i am happy so as long as the story does that then i will be happy
 1 user liked this post.
#13 Posted : Friday, September 16, 2016 12:53:34 AM(UTC)

Keira: "But boss, all your supercars are currently spread out over your luxury resorts in the US. Would you like me to fly them over or do you just buy some new ones here in Australia?"
@sofa: XBO 1TB + Elite Controller ~ Samsung 65" SUHD curved 3D LED TV ~ 5.1 surround home theatre
@rig: XBO 1TB ~ obutto r3volution ~ Thrustmaster TX + T3PA + TH8A + Leather 28 GT ~ Samsung 50" 3D Plasma TV ~ H&K Soundsticks III
 3 users liked this post.
#14 Posted : Friday, September 16, 2016 9:54:10 PM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: Breyzipp Go to Quoted Post

Keira: "But boss, all your supercars are currently spread out over your luxury resorts in the US. Would you like me to fly them over or do you just buy some new ones here in Australia?"
Me: "Neither, Keira. For some reason, I'm completely smitten with this Kia Spectra.... Why don't you & Warren take the weekend off? I'll just be driving up & down Great Ocean Road at 70kph."

"Precision, finesse, and handling will ALWAYS be defeated by shouting, smoking, and POWER."

I ONLY TUNE GUITARS
 2 users liked this post.
#15 Posted : Friday, September 16, 2016 10:18:16 PM(UTC)
At least the "Boss" storyline is more believable than arriving to a festival in a beat up old VW Corrado and accumulating a car collection worth tens of millions in a matter of days. I mean I would LOVE to go to a festival like that irl but cmon.

But the one thing that apparently every free roam car game just HAS to have is cringeworthy sidekicks. Based on the demo footage FH3 is fortunately nowhere near the pain that Need for Speed was but regardless, as the new boss I want to fire Keira and Warren, or at least block them on my phone.
Inertia creeps
 2 users liked this post.
#16 Posted : Friday, September 16, 2016 11:30:56 PM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: B Wald Big Mek Go to Quoted Post

Me: "Neither, Keira. For some reason, I'm completely smitten with this Kia Spectra.... Why don't you & Warren take the weekend off? I'll just be driving up & down Great Ocean Road at 70kph."

Please...Everyone know the new Dacia Sandero would be the car of choice

1 user liked this post.
#17 Posted : Friday, September 16, 2016 11:55:30 PM(UTC)

good one :)
#18 Posted : Saturday, September 17, 2016 1:04:05 AM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: taakebanke Go to Quoted Post

Please...Everyone know the new Dacia Sandero would be the car of choice

Having that as a startercar would be awesome! I really liked the beginning of Test Drive Unlimited, were you actually needed to hire a car. That would have been fun too...exploring in slower cars is always the best.
#19 Posted : Sunday, September 18, 2016 4:50:45 AM(UTC)
hi,
FH3 will be my first forza game, so im curious what the progress system will be? Right now im watching a FH2 Lets Play and it seems like there is not really any progress in the way NFS has it (you start with a slow car and unlock faster once later). As it seems you can buy, if you have the money, all cars (expect barn finds?) from the start on. Same for the tuning upgrades.

Its more about having fun from the start on, drive your favourite car with your own setup?

Is there even any progress?
 1 user liked this post.
#20 Posted : Sunday, September 18, 2016 8:39:19 AM(UTC)

Ok a bit deeper in the storyline now, at least the opening part. :)

I made the same mistake as well at first to think that private jet was mine. Well it is not, it's Keira flying over with a private jet.

You see her on the phone saying "the boss is already at the site, we need to drive these cars over". So you are already in Byron Bay. :) You also see Keira stepping from the plane towards the Centenario so it does make sense. She also steps into the Centenario om the driver's site. The first scene where you can drive the Centenario, swap to dashboard camera and you will notice by the arms and hands that a lady is driving the Centenario. Exactly, you are Keira for now. :)

When the cutscene switches you from the Centenario to Warren Kyra also says she will drive the great coast road to Byron Bay. This actually makes sense at the crossing where she turns right and Warren continues towards the beach. Actually if you check out the map and know where the airstrip is in the outback the entire route where you drive first the Centenario and later the trophy truck towards Byron Bay all make perfect sense. At first I thought they crossed that dam in the wrong way but it is not, everything seems correct.

The first time you as the boss come into picture is with that Mercedes SLK 55 AMG and before even seeing a glimpse of the driver you get prompted with the character selection screen. In the end it's all pretty well done IMO. Keira's jet landing at the outback airstrip, her race in the Centenario towards Byron Bay and then introducing Warren as well. It's a short introduction of both main sidekick characters before prompting you with the character selection screen.

Knowing that is it Keira in that opening part of the centenario and not yourself also makes the line from Warren just after the buggy race make more sense, the one where he says "Keira told me you might want to drive the Centenario?". So it's definitely her car. :)

But.... to have everything from the opening scene make sense IMO that Mercedes SLK 55 AMG should be in our garages at launch! :)
#21 Posted : Sunday, September 18, 2016 2:58:24 PM(UTC)
You can progress through the story and unlock festival locations, but you are right about cars. You don't "unlock" them. If you have the credits to buy them, you can race in any car you want to.
#22 Posted : Sunday, September 18, 2016 3:10:14 PM(UTC)

Ok a bit deeper in the storyline now, at least the opening part. :)

I made the same mistake as well at first to think that private jet was mine. Well it is not, it's Keira flying over with a private jet.

You see her on the phone saying "the boss is already at the site, we need to drive these cars over". So you are already in Byron Bay. :) You also see Keira stepping from the plane towards the Centenario so it does make sense. She also steps into the Centenario om the driver's site. The first scene where you can drive the Centenario, swap to dashboard camera and you will notice by the arms and hands that a lady is driving the Centenario. Exactly, you are Keira for now. :)

When the cutscene switches you from the Centenario to Warren Kyra also says she will drive the great coast road to Byron Bay. This actually makes sense at the crossing where she turns right and Warren continues towards the beach. Actually if you check out the map and know where the airstrip is in the outback the entire route where you drive first the Centenario and later the trophy truck towards Byron Bay all make perfect sense. At first I thought they crossed that dam in the wrong way but it is not, everything seems correct.

The first time you as the boss come into picture is with that Mercedes SLK 55 AMG and before even seeing a glimpse of the driver you get prompted with the character selection screen. In the end it's all pretty well done IMO. Keira's jet landing at the outback airstrip, her race in the Centenario towards Byron Bay and then introducing Warren as well. It's a short introduction of both main sidekick characters before prompting you with the character selection screen.

Knowing that is it Keira in that opening part of the centenario and not yourself also makes the line from Warren just after the buggy race make more sense, the one where he says "Keira told me you might want to drive the Centenario?". So it's definitely her car. :)

But.... to have everything from the opening scene make sense IMO that Mercedes SLK 55 AMG should be in our garages at launch! :)
Perhaps it's a rental?

I ONLY TUNE GUITARS
 1 user liked this post.
#23 Posted : Sunday, September 18, 2016 4:42:25 PM(UTC)
I think starting with slow cars and progressing to faster ones has been done so many times that devs feel the need to be more creative with their stories. Following the progression of the horizon series you can see how the story has changed since the first one which had you starting with slow cars and progressing to faster ones.

In Horizon 2 you could follow your own path through the championship series which meant you could choose to drive which ever cars you like.

I expect the same will be the case in Horizon 3. If the demo is anything to go by then it would appear that the first car they give you to start your journey is a pretty fast A class car.

#24 Posted : Sunday, September 18, 2016 9:54:08 PM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: Mangoplah7 Go to Quoted Post
I think starting with slow cars and progressing to faster ones has been done so many times that devs feel the need to be more creative with their stories. Following the progression of the horizon series you can see how the story has changed since the first one which had you starting with slow cars and progressing to faster ones.

In Horizon 2 you could follow your own path through the championship series which meant you could choose to drive which ever cars you like.

I expect the same will be the case in Horizon 3. If the demo is anything to go by then it would appear that the first car they give you to start your journey is a pretty fast A class car.

You get 2 free cars in the full game. First the same choice we have in the demo at the beach (M4, Silvia, GT350R, Maloo). Then a bit later you get to pick one SUV for free from the autoshow (X6, Urus, Range Rover, some jeep).

What I didn't see in the gameplay videos from the full game is that you got to keep the buggy from the opening showcase but I didnt get to see anyone browsing their garage either. I'm doubting if we get to keep cars after showcase events this game.
#25 Posted : Sunday, September 18, 2016 9:59:34 PM(UTC)
Ok, stories in motorgames is a very hard thing to do, some made it well, some didn't.

Racing games aren't supposed to have stories at all. I'm not sure why some people pretend that a story somehow makes some kind of sense for a racing game, or worse that a racing game somehow should have a story. I never hear players buying the latest football game and talking about how the story stinks or how they'd like a better story in the next football game. I never hear people talk about the story in a basketball game. Motorsport is a sport just like football, basketball, or baseball. It's just played with cars rather than an inflatable ball. Racing isn't supposed to have a plot. It's just racing. The purpose of racing isn't to solve crimes, take over a country, save your kidnapped sister, or save the planet from aliens. It's to go fast and hopefully be the first one to reach the finish. That's it, plain and simple.

I know some racing games have pretended to have a story, but they don't. The Crew, for example, pretended to have a story about you infiltrating a criminal organization, but it was just mindless dreck. The whole way through the game you were repeatedly tasked with showing off to impress someone in exchange for them sending you to the next person to impress, who in turn redirected you to yet another person to impress. It was basically "We're sorry, but our princess is in another castle!" except it was a race car driver rather than Mario. That's not a story. That's pretentious nonsense. By the back part of the game I turned the voice volume all the way down because I got sick of hearing people talking to me while I was busy doing stuff like weaving through a congested freeway at 170 MPH or whatever. They had nothing worth hearing, anyway.

Can we stop talking about "story" in racing games? They have no place here.
Still I Rise
2 Pages12Next

Notification

Icon
Error