2 Pages12Next
 2 users liked this post.
#1 Posted : Sunday, July 10, 2016 3:23:52 PM(UTC)
This could be the greatest racing game of all time or it could be the worst and it all comes down to whether they hired Australians to do voice work or had someone try to impersonate our accent. Nobody can do an Australian accent. Some can come close but we can still pick that they aren't Australian. I don't expect every character to be Australian but if they are they should at least be voiced by one of us.
#2 Posted : Sunday, July 10, 2016 3:29:11 PM(UTC)
They used real australian actors.
 2 users liked this post.
#3 Posted : Sunday, July 10, 2016 4:06:40 PM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: Turboteg90 Go to Quoted Post

The Aussie accent in the demo was atrocious.

The guy who says he has "800 horses and ain't afraid to use 'em".

You won't hear accents like that most places in Australia.
Click to watch Sim and Realword Driving Videos

PC & XB1
Next Level Racing GT Ultimate v2
Fanatec Clubsport: Wheelbase v2.5 | Inverted Pedals v3 | SQ Shifter v1.5 | Universal Hub for XB1
 3 users liked this post.
#4 Posted : Sunday, July 10, 2016 6:40:55 PM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: RaindancerAU Go to Quoted Post

We would say, "1200 kilowatts and aren't afraid to use them, ya basxxxx!".

Australians should be able to buy this game at half price also. Or free download if we have to put up with fake accents.

Street racing at Royal National Park and Old Pacific Highway would also add to realism.....

Edited by user Sunday, July 10, 2016 6:52:10 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

2 users liked this post.
#5 Posted : Sunday, July 10, 2016 6:49:39 PM(UTC)

This. We don't all sound like Steve Irwin.
 1 user liked this post.
#6 Posted : Sunday, July 10, 2016 6:50:05 PM(UTC)
If it was an Aussie actor, he was putting on the accent that Americans believe is an Australian accent, but grates on Australian ears like fingernails on a chalk board.

Seriously, it is painful to listen to.

PC & XB1
Fanatec Clubsport: Wheelbase v2.5 | Inverted Pedals v3 | SQ Shifter v1.5 | Universal Hub for XB1
#7 Posted : Sunday, July 10, 2016 6:51:24 PM(UTC)
"Crikey! Only 800?"
 1 user liked this post.
#8 Posted : Sunday, July 10, 2016 7:02:19 PM(UTC)

He's Australian, by the way.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daniel_Lapaine

Edited by user Sunday, July 10, 2016 7:14:39 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

1 user liked this post.
#9 Posted : Sunday, July 10, 2016 9:58:20 PM(UTC)
I must agree that the voice acting in the demo was pretty bad accent wise. But i want to believe in T10 and Playground that we all won't sound like Crocodile Dundee.
 2 users liked this post.
#10 Posted : Monday, July 11, 2016 12:17:58 AM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: JONK1969 Go to Quoted Post

First of all, I can't say enough how positive I think it is that you're actively participating in the forums and representing T10/Playground. It's a revitalising breath of fresh air here.

Now please do see my criticism as valid and not borne from anything but a desire to get the quality of FH3 to where the community generally expects it to be:

I don't know that actor but he certainly seems to have originated in Australia.

Unfortunately it sounds like he may have been over directed or over produced as the voice that comes across, unfortunately does not sound authentic.

I remain hopeful that there are more natural accents in the final product.

PC & XB1
 1 user liked this post.
#11 Posted : Monday, July 11, 2016 8:55:38 AM(UTC)
The girl who runs the garage in FH2 sounded awful as well. I've never come to expect much from voice acting in a racing game :P
 1 user liked this post.
#12 Posted : Monday, July 11, 2016 9:11:14 AM(UTC)
Don't care who they are, just as long as I can understand them talking.

Edited by user Monday, July 11, 2016 9:13:08 AM(UTC)  | Reason: spelling mistake

#13 Posted : Monday, July 11, 2016 10:02:53 AM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: JONK1969 Go to Quoted Post

First of all, I can't say enough how positive I think it is that you're actively participating in the forums and representing T10/Playground. It's a revitalising breath of fresh air here.

Now please do see my criticism as valid and not borne from anything but a desire to get the quality of FH3 to where the community generally expects it to be:

I don't know that actor but he certainly seems to have originated in Australia.

Unfortunately it sounds like he may have been over directed or over produced as the voice that comes across, unfortunately does not sound authentic.

I remain hopeful that there are more natural accents in the final product.

Fair enough. That one line in particular is a bit caricature-ish, but he is shouting. Hopefully you'll find the majority of his dialogue more on point.

We actually debated keeping that line in out of concern that it was a bit over the top, but ultimately we felt that moment in the demo was more fun with that exclamation.
 2 users liked this post.
#14 Posted : Monday, July 11, 2016 10:24:36 AM(UTC)
Thanks for the input Jonk.
I can't believe people are complaining about the australian guy not sounding australian enough! It's a racing game. I care how the CARS sound. That is important. As long as you understand what they're saying then their accents being slightly off will not bother me. We had Sean Maguire in the last game and his accent is not representative of the whole of the UK, but so what, he did the job of passing on information.
Come on guys, the game isn't even out yet and you're ragging on it. How about we all wait until it's in our hands and on our drives to complain about any issues. If you have genuine issues i'm all for you raising them, but the game isn't even out yet.
Lets wit until it's out and then see what the overall game quality is like.
:-)
 1 user liked this post.
#15 Posted : Monday, July 11, 2016 2:51:03 PM(UTC)
I guess it may just be an Aussie thing. We're constantly hearing that accent perpetuated in the media and it's been going on for decades. It's a pet peeve that we have when we hear it

I agree, the moment is fun and he is shouting which could even bring out the bogan (look up the term if you don't know it) in me too. And if there are only a few moments like that, it won't have a huge impact on my overall enjoyment.

I do agree as well that the voice acting was still a bit heavy in Horizon 2, and if you go into the garage a lot, the female mechanic gets a bit annoying after a while.

Anyway, just some feedback, nothing major I guess.

Edited by user Monday, July 11, 2016 2:56:30 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

PC & XB1
 6 users liked this post.
#16 Posted : Monday, July 11, 2016 6:26:06 PM(UTC)

(snipped)
I do agree as well that the voice acting was still a bit heavy in Horizon 2, and if you go into the garage a lot, the female mechanic gets a bit annoying after a while.

Yes, that repetitive "Hey, how can I help yah?" was annoying for all of us, and it won't happen again.
#17 Posted : Tuesday, July 12, 2016 1:54:42 AM(UTC)
@RaindancerAU Yeah, I have friends and family in Oz, but they mostly don't care either way. Just like I don't care whenever an american asks me if i've met the queen. lol
Also Bogans are the Aussie equivalent of chavs in the UK. A term coined by the govt to demonise and divide the working class in one deft blow!
Still we've got games to keep us occupied so hooray!
@Jonk, is that because you've changed "how can i help ya?" to "whaddya want?" LOL
#18 Posted : Tuesday, July 12, 2016 2:23:05 AM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: BBTD MitchyK7 Go to Quoted Post
@RaindancerAU Also Bogans are the Aussie equivalent of chavs in the UK. A term coined by the govt to demonise and divide the working class in one deft blow!

Bogan was coined by those who find it annoying when they hear an Aussie accent and have to pretend that that accent is fake in order to feel better about themselves as they sip their lattes ;) Don't give any credit to governments, what have they done for us lately...

I'd be interested to know who people think has a "quintessential" Aussie accent.
#19 Posted : Tuesday, July 12, 2016 8:01:50 AM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: BBTD MitchyK7 Go to Quoted Post

@Jonk, is that because you've changed "how can i help ya?" to "whaddya want?" LOL

Haha,

"Oy, welcome back, fella. You wanna buy just one car, or you wanna take the whole bang lot?"

Accents are a funny thing. According to one of our writers (also Australian) there are really only about 3 unique dialects in Australia, and unlike the US, it's not determined by where you live. In the US, there are a lot of dialects influenced by region (west coast, Midwest, southern, New England (and even then a New York accent is very different than a Boston accent), as well as ethnic derivations. But in Australia, sort of like the UK, how you speak has more to do with your education and "class" - something we in the US don't really have ;)

Here's a link that sums it up - wonder if you Aussies think there's any merit to it:

http://dialectblog.com/2...s-of-australian-accents/
 1 user liked this post.
#20 Posted : Tuesday, July 12, 2016 8:53:30 AM(UTC)
seeing as we have all had to accept an aussie sparticus , aussie vikings, aussie romans, aussie thor, aussie girl from suicide squad
...... they should get **** van **** to do the accent
#21 Posted : Tuesday, July 12, 2016 9:34:53 AM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: WindsweptDragon Go to Quoted Post
seeing as we have all had to accept an aussie sparticus , aussie vikings, aussie romans, aussie thor, aussie girl from suicide squad
...... they should get **** van **** to do the accent

Chim chimney, chim chimney, chim chim cheree...
#22 Posted : Tuesday, September 13, 2016 9:46:53 AM(UTC)
The voice acting in this game?

Why on earth do they have to make everybody sound like they were just lifted from a Chris Brown or Justin Beieber video?

The game looks pretty cool, but it feels like all the voice acting destroys it. Are they aiming at people with small IQ's?

Don't say it's aiming for the youth, because I know a ton of young people and none of them talk like this.

The game looks really nice, great job with the visuals, but I am so tired of every Horizon game saying I'm going to launch to superstardom this year

Need for speed already did this **** in every game

Please come up with something with a bit more class, which is what I have associated the Forza name with...Class
#23 Posted : Tuesday, September 13, 2016 9:48:06 AM(UTC)
All i listen to is the engines.
#24 Posted : Tuesday, September 13, 2016 10:11:40 AM(UTC)
Since we're talking about accents, Kiera sounds Scottish to my ears. Am I right or does she simply have the more cultivated Australian accent?
 1 user liked this post.
#25 Posted : Tuesday, September 13, 2016 10:43:14 AM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: Shaggy SoCal Go to Quoted Post
Since we're talking about accents, Kiera sounds Scottish to my ears. Am I right or does she simply have the more cultivated Australian accent?

I was about to post this. She definitely sounds irish/scottish however that's not really a problem unless they're trying to portray her accent as Australian :P
2 Pages12Next

Notification

Icon
Error