This site uses cookies for analytics and personalized content. By continuing to browse this site, you agree to this use. Learn more
2 Pages12Next
#1 Posted : Wednesday, June 22, 2016 12:32:14 PM(UTC)
I was just thinking about a concern I just had that FH3 might not look as good on the original Xbox One, but better on the XB1 S. Will the original XB1 still be as good, though?
#2 Posted : Wednesday, June 22, 2016 12:44:18 PM(UTC)
Gameplay wise the games will be identical.

Xbox One S supports 4k but unless the game ships with 4k support then graphically they will be the same too.

Xbox have already announced that software for the new 'Scorpio' system will be cross-compatible with Xbox One. So it looks like we could be moving towards a PC / mobile type upgrade system where software works across multiple consoles but with better performance at the more expensive end of the spectrum. Also would leave MS free to release new consoles more frequently for those that can afford it. Just my musings on the matter.
 2 users liked this post.
#3 Posted : Wednesday, June 22, 2016 12:44:51 PM(UTC)
You'll need a 4k display or HDR-enabled tv to support any benefit from the S over the current Xbox One.
#4 Posted : Wednesday, June 22, 2016 12:48:18 PM(UTC)
They said the sky would be different but not by much.
 8 users liked this post.
#5 Posted : Wednesday, June 22, 2016 5:10:44 PM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: Turboteg90 Go to Quoted Post
They said the sky would be different but not by much.

I'd like a source where they said the sky would be different on the One S. The sky is a huge improvement over previous titles, but there shouldnt be much difference, even between PC and Xbox. Of course PC will always look better. With One S' HDR, just all the colors will look a bit better (I guess)

Originally Posted by: xLEEx82x Go to Quoted Post

Xbox One S supports 4k but unless the game ships with 4k support then graphically they will be the same too.

Xbox have already announced that software for the new 'Scorpio' system will be cross-compatible with Xbox One. So it looks like we could be moving towards a PC / mobile type upgrade system where software works across multiple consoles but with better performance at the more expensive end of the spectrum. Also would leave MS free to release new consoles more frequently for those that can afford it. Just my musings on the matter.

The Xbox One S supports 4K VIDEO, not games so it will still be the same 1080p 30fps. The One S is basically a a slim Xbox. It just has upgraded HDMI ports (1.4a on One, 2.0a on One S) So the newer HDMI port supports 4k, and the old one doesn't. Performance wise, they're almost the same. The One S just has capability to use HDR (high dynamic range, better colors) IT'S THE SAME CONSOLE, just smaller with small updates like I said earlier, AND THE SAME GAME. I have no idea where people keep getting these "facts"

Edited by user Wednesday, June 22, 2016 5:15:32 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

#6 Posted : Wednesday, June 22, 2016 6:44:26 PM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: humancarman21 Go to Quoted Post
I was just thinking about a concern I just had that FH3 might not look as good on the original Xbox One, but better on the XB1 S. Will the original XB1 still be as good, though?

no. the only thing you may see different is HDR and that's only if Horizon 3 supports HDR
#7 Posted : Thursday, June 23, 2016 12:47:01 AM(UTC)
Forza Horizon 3 does support HDR, but yeah, other than very, very incidental improvements from the slightly increased power of the XOS, that's the only improvement you'll see.

Right now if you want the best version of the game, that'll be on PC by far.
#8 Posted : Thursday, June 23, 2016 4:07:01 AM(UTC)

That is Microsoft's goal based on what they were saying. It depends on how the developers choose to approach the multiple consoles. They may just lock their games to the lowest spec platform and not bother to unlock game aspects to utilise the more powerful machines as they are released. Unlikely, especially for the triple A games but always a possibility.

#9 Posted : Thursday, June 23, 2016 6:35:24 AM(UTC)

Wasn't the xbox 1 s 4k capable for videos only? Not for games?
i5 3570k - Seasonic 620W - projectQ Z77MX - Kingston 2x4GB DDR3 - GTX 970 - SP S80 256GB x2 - LG Ultrawide 29" - NZXT H440
#10 Posted : Thursday, June 23, 2016 9:00:00 AM(UTC)
I read an article on Polygon about this last night, here is an excerpt from the article specifically about Forza Horizon 3: Microsoft plans to support the Xbox One S console's HDR capabilities with Gears of War 4 and Forza Horizon 3 this fall, both of which will ship with support for HDR". Here is a link to the article. http://www.polygon.com/2...ox-one-s-hdr-color-hdr10
 1 user liked this post.
#11 Posted : Thursday, June 23, 2016 9:06:41 AM(UTC)
The only difference you will get in game is the black level and color accuracy benefits of the HDR. Game will still perform identically (1080p30), per Microsoft. The real difference depends on the HDR capabilities of your tv (which may be able upscale your content to 4k, depending on the tv, but generally leaving the signal at the native 1080 looks better & crisper than the upscaled 4k signal, which usually softens the image too much).
#12 Posted : Thursday, June 23, 2016 9:22:39 AM(UTC)
It's worth mentioning as nobody has, you need a HDR TV to use the HDR feature.
#13 Posted : Thursday, June 23, 2016 10:14:33 AM(UTC)
After reading this I'm still confused. The best i gathered is you'll need a new tv. I got a smart tv a few years ago and sure as hell am not buying another tv. Lol.

I'll probably buy the S so I can move the older xbox one to my bedroom. Are 360 slims worth anything? If not I'll keep it in storage.
 1 user liked this post.
#14 Posted : Thursday, June 23, 2016 10:29:53 AM(UTC)
I know what they are claiming, or we are hearing but if you people recall horizon 2 was supposed to be identical on xbox360 and xbox1 but the xbox360 version was complete and utter garbage. Pretty sure they are claiming xbox s as 3x as powerful as the one... i think horizon will shoot for the stars and develop the game mostly for that and semi neglect xbox1 version. Or if not horizon the next rendition of forza will do that.

PTG Home

Race Team
Tester
Tuner
 1 user liked this post.
#15 Posted : Thursday, June 23, 2016 10:32:50 AM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: PTG Baby Cow Go to Quoted Post
Pretty sure they are claiming xbox s as 3x as powerful as the one..

No, not at all. In fact Xbox officials have stated clearly that this is not the case.

4 users liked this post.
#16 Posted : Thursday, June 23, 2016 11:18:54 AM(UTC)
Before my eyes finally start to bleed with all the nonsense posted here ... just some facts for the XB fanboys ...

- the XBox One S is just a shrinked down version of the Xbox One, nothing more

- the XBox One S has NOTHING to do with the much more powerful 'Project Scorpio'

- the XBox One S does NOT SUPPORT native 4k gaming

- the XBox One S has exact the same GPU performance as the XBox One with 1,31 Teraflops

- the CPU of the XBox One S is the same, but with a LITTLE (!!!) more power ONLY FOR HDR support.

- thanks to it's 'new' HDMI 2.0 port, the Xbox One S supports UPSCALING to 4k by itself.
advantage ? ... NONE ! since almost every 4k TV supports this by it's own ... (in most cases ... even better than any external player or home cinema receiver)

- you need a quite new TV or monitor with HDR support, to gain any advantage from the XBox One S

Here's a article about it at german gamer website pcgamers.de *click* <<< just use google translate for english version, since i can't post a link to the translated version at the moment for some reason :-( <<<

... with a HDR image comparison (Dolby Vision) at the very end ^^

Here's the interview with Phil Spencer himself, asked for any perfomance difference of the Xbox One compared to the Xbox One S --> *click*

Finally ... hardware specs overview:

Edited by user Thursday, June 23, 2016 12:17:16 PM(UTC)  | Reason: tipo

Fanatec PWTS + CSS Pedals v3i + CSS Shifter SQ v1.0 + Playseat Revolution GT @ XB1X via DriveHub ... use your 'old' wheel on XB1 & PS4

How to get locked cars in FM7 *full list*

#17 Posted : Thursday, June 23, 2016 11:44:51 AM(UTC)
^ My mistake i was referring to scorpio for everything. To me the slim is what it is, thats not what im concerned with. I am concerned with the scorpio being completely different and more powerful and basically rendering the one obsolete, similar to what the one did with the 360 even tho they claimed they wanted the developers to support both consoles.

PTG Home

Race Team
Tester
Tuner
#18 Posted : Thursday, June 23, 2016 11:47:58 AM(UTC)
The superior performance of the Scorpio means nothing without a price point. There's no reason right now to think that it will make the One obsolete.
#19 Posted : Thursday, June 23, 2016 12:19:29 PM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: ManteoMax Go to Quoted Post
The superior performance of the Scorpio means nothing without a price point. There's no reason right now to think that it will make the One obsolete.

Very much this. At best we're looking at another $499 machine on launch day, though many sites are expecting a price point of even double that based on the costs of a comparable PC.
 1 user liked this post.
#20 Posted : Thursday, June 23, 2016 11:34:07 PM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: Zeem Frostmaw Go to Quoted Post

Very much this. At best we're looking at another $499 machine on launch day, though many sites are expecting a price point of even double that based on the costs of a comparable PC.

I don't think MS will charge double that price on launch. I reckon (pure speculation) that they will be willing to take a hefty hit on profits in an attempt to regain market share from Sony.
#21 Posted : Friday, June 24, 2016 1:57:57 AM(UTC)
I know what they are claiming, or we are hearing but if you people recall horizon 2 was supposed to be identical on xbox360 and xbox1 but the xbox360 version was complete and utter garbage. Pretty sure they are claiming xbox s as 3x as powerful as the one... i think horizon will shoot for the stars and develop the game mostly for that and semi neglect xbox1 version. Or if not horizon the next rendition of forza will do that.

horizon 2 was never supposed to be identical on the 360 and the xbone at all, they were made by 2 different companies, and thats part of the reason the 360 version was pretty much rubbish
#22 Posted : Friday, June 24, 2016 5:08:32 AM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: Will Driver C Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Zeem Frostmaw Go to Quoted Post

I don't think MS will charge double that price on launch. I reckon (pure speculation) that they will be willing to take a hefty hit on profits in an attempt to regain market share from Sony.

Yea anything over $600 and they will be pushing people away from it seeing as you could just get the slim or build a decent pc

#23 Posted : Friday, June 24, 2016 5:09:32 AM(UTC)
Ported maybe, but they were both developed by playground games. They were supposed to be as close to the same game as possible. Which is what I am referring to. If this is to come out on scorpio also i fear that they are going to do most of their development for scorpio and pass the port to xbox 1 to someone else and its going to be a much weaker game. I also dont think this is going to be an issue as scorpios not slated to come out unti 2017 correct? So I would imagine this will be a bigger issue for FM7 or whatever game they come out with on launch of scorpio.

PTG Home

Race Team
Tester
Tuner
 1 user liked this post.
#24 Posted : Friday, June 24, 2016 5:19:40 AM(UTC)
Ported maybe, but they were both developed by playground games. They were supposed to be as close to the same game as possible.

Hm ... No !?!

'The Xbox One version of the game was developed by Playground Games, the team behind the original Forza Horizon, while Sumo Digital developed the version for Xbox 360, with Forza series developer Turn 10 Studios supporting both builds.'

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forza_Horizon_2

Fanatec PWTS + CSS Pedals v3i + CSS Shifter SQ v1.0 + Playseat Revolution GT @ XB1X via DriveHub ... use your 'old' wheel on XB1 & PS4

How to get locked cars in FM7 *full list*

1 user liked this post.
#25 Posted : Friday, June 24, 2016 5:59:18 AM(UTC)

Just to let those of you know who aren't familiar with 4k technology with gaming, that there are no 4k PC monitors that support a refresh rate higher than 60hz at a 4k resolution. This basically means that when you're playing racing Sims using a 60hz monitor at a 4k resolution, the picture gives you headaches and it looks terrible because of the ghosting.

I have a 4k Samsung monitor and playing PC racing Sims on the monitor was dreadful and unbearable. I then went out and spent the money on a BENQ gaming montior that supports 144hz refresh rate at a resolution of 1920 x1080 and their isn't any ghosting whatsoever, and in fact the racing Sims run heaps smoother and more realistic!

I am aware that the Xbox One doesn't support anything higher than 60hz refresh rate, but I'm just letting you know that if you were to purchase a 4k TV, like the existing UHD TV's, if you're watching still pictures the picture looks amazing, but you go into a store and see one of these TV's playing a movie that's got a lot of fast moving action scenes, a majority of these latest 4k TV's still produce ghosting.

This is why I still own a Plasma TV and will not by a UHD TV until the most expensive models drop considerably in price.
Ghosting can cause headaches and can even make you feel dizzy and a bit nauseous when watching fast moving objects on your TV.
However, if you can afford to purchase one of the latest and greatest 4k TV's that has a 4 core processor and runs at a minimum of 400hz at a 4k resolution, then go for it, and the rest of us will be very jealous.

2 Pages12Next

Notification

Icon
Error