3 Pages123Next
Rank: Racing Permit
 5 users liked this post.
#1 Posted : Monday, March 10, 2014 12:55:35 PM(UTC)
UPDATED 4/05/14

The goal is to make a Universal base tune for any car in any class. This will introduce new players to the tune setting options they can adjust themselves, and give them a drivable car.

FIRST Buy as many adjustable Race parts as possible. Use the remaining PI to build car to the top of desired class. Tune, test, and tweak.
TIRES Front: 28 Rear: 28
TRANSMISSION For adjustable transmissions set final drive only. Start with Final Drive on the second grid line from the end. Later, adjust speed as required for track. Stock and Street transmissions offer no settings, but are often considered to be the best choices.
CAMBER Front -2.5 Rear-2.0
TOE Front 0.0 Rear 0.0
CASTER 5.7
ANTI ROLL BARS Front: 14 Back: 14
SPRINGS
A little calculation will be needed. Divide car weight in half and multiply result by weight distribution percentage. That will give you front spring setting. Subtract front spring setting from half-weight of vehicle and that will give you rear spring setting.
Example: 2,000 lbs. / 2= 1,000. 1,000 x .45 (weight dist.) = 450. 450 is front spring setting. 1,000 - 450 = 550. 550 is rear spring setting.
RIDE HEIGHT
As low as they will go (without bottoming out).
REBOUND Front: 10 Rear: 10
BUMP
Front: 2 Rear 2
BRAKES 40/110
AERO Use default. (Most of the time you will go higher as needed)
DIFFERENTIAL Rwd: 30/15 Fwd: 90/10 Awd: 30/0 60/30 70


A good way to tune and test is go to Car/Upgrade/and then press Y to pick a track to test drive. While test driving you can press the right menu button and select Tune Set Up to make whatever tuning changes you wish. You can then Press B and select Resume and continue testing on the track. When you're satisfied with the car, press right menu button/ select Tune Set Up/ press left menu button and select Apply and Save. You then give the tune a name and save. An option box offering to share the tune will pop up, but it's not mandatory that you do so. Press B to exit. The next time you're in a car and choose Load Tune, the Community Shared Tunes will appear first. Press Right Bumper and your tune(s) will appear.

Read tuning articles and posts to learn how to fine tune a car for specific performance. Don't be afraid to experiment with the settings. After a while you will have memorized the base settings and can return to them easily.

BEGINNER TIPS If possible drive in "collision off" rooms until you are comfortable with the game physics. When tuning, turn all assists off and drive in the cockpit. Learn to drive manual with clutch. Going to Profile/Controller and switching handbrake and clutch may make this easier. The A button will now be your clutch and you can press it nearly simultaneously with B or X to shift up or down. Also, I highly recommend going to Profile/Controller/Advanced and set everything to 0/100. Turning off vibration may help. Learn to drive without assists. If you must use assists, use TCS and maybe ABS braking. Normal steering might help. Cosmetic damage may make the career and private races more fun. Everything else will cause too big of a performance hit. Beginners should keep the full driving line on. Drive, drive, and drive some more. Tuning can't fix bad driving. Good luck, and have fun!

Edited by user Saturday, April 19, 2014 4:40:44 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Just making it better

Rank: On the Podium
#2 Posted : Monday, March 10, 2014 12:59:54 PM(UTC)
I disagree with Alignement and tire pressure.
As for the rest...
Rank: Racing Permit
#3 Posted : Monday, March 10, 2014 1:22:20 PM(UTC)
Tires and alignment have been updated.

Edited by user Tuesday, March 11, 2014 5:32:26 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Rank: On the Podium
#4 Posted : Monday, March 10, 2014 1:23:48 PM(UTC)
Even without tire wear, its gets the tire to what... 37 psi when warm ?
Rank: Racing Permit
#5 Posted : Monday, March 10, 2014 1:25:51 PM(UTC)
Tire pressure has been updated.

Edited by user Tuesday, March 11, 2014 5:33:15 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Rank: A-Class Racing License
#6 Posted : Monday, March 10, 2014 1:36:50 PM(UTC)
No camber on the rear? Really? Bump and rebound seem way off, and not every car is better dropped as low as it can be. Tyre pressure seems pretty high too.

If this works for you, then fair enough. But i cant imagine any car tuned in this way to be much good.

Id have though if you didn't have the time to tune a car, there are many great tuners out there who share many great tunes for you to use.

And if you don't have the skill, there are people on here with some serious in depth knowledge, and who are very happy to help people learn.
Rank: Racing Permit
#7 Posted : Monday, March 10, 2014 1:43:10 PM(UTC)
Camber has been updated.

Edited by user Monday, March 10, 2014 6:48:31 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Rank: S-Class Racing License
#8 Posted : Monday, March 10, 2014 2:03:15 PM(UTC)
I will build one of these tonight and get back with a review. On the face of it the only setting that looks remotely right is the ride height.
Rank: A-Class Racing License
#9 Posted : Monday, March 10, 2014 2:07:07 PM(UTC)
I have tried 0 in my time, and not found it any good at all. A beginner could utilise the open source tunes to begin to have an idea how the settings work, and utilise the various tuning guides posted
Rank: Racing Permit
 1 user liked this post.
#10 Posted : Monday, March 10, 2014 2:30:42 PM(UTC)
Camber has been updated. This not a car specific system. Beginners that use this method will be introduced to basic tuning setting methods. The method is Universal and allows players to buy and tune as many cars as they can afford as fast as possible. Forza is a game and fun is everything. If you wish to reach the top of the leaderboards you will need a more in depth approach than using just a base tune. This system can be a good foundation from which you could later create a fine tuned machine..

Edited by user Saturday, March 22, 2014 12:44:53 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Rank: Racing Legend
#11 Posted : Monday, March 10, 2014 2:53:22 PM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: befuddler Go to Quoted Post
Without wear the game makes no allowance for heat up.


Not correct.

Turn tyre wear off and check telemetry on lap 1 for tyre temps and pressures. Check it again on lap 3 or 4.

Your starting pressures will result in high pressures when the tyres get warm.

Also have you got bump and rebound mixed up?

In game rebound is the first one and bump is the second one.

Edited by user Monday, March 10, 2014 2:57:11 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

I blame the ants.
Rank: Racing Permit
#12 Posted : Monday, March 10, 2014 2:58:01 PM(UTC)
I have corrected the rebound/ bump. Thank you for noticing.

Edited by user Monday, March 10, 2014 6:53:37 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Rank: Racing Permit
#13 Posted : Monday, March 10, 2014 3:04:26 PM(UTC)
Thank all of you for your comments. The system, good or bad, stands for itself. Lets hit the track and have some fun!

Edited by user Monday, March 10, 2014 3:41:10 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Rank: Racing Legend
#14 Posted : Monday, March 10, 2014 3:11:16 PM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: befuddler Go to Quoted Post
Telemetry will show heat. In actual gameplay without wear and damage on that number has no effect. I have corrected the rebound/ bump. Thank you for noticing.


Telemetry shows tyre pressure as well as heat.

Most cars that start with cold tyre pressures of between 28 and 30 psi will end up with warm tyre pressures of around 34-35 psi.

I have damage off and can state without a doubt that changing just tyre pressure does change the handling of the car, particularly if warm tyre pressures go significantly above 35psi.

As Worm has said in one of his posts focus on pressure not temp and aim for 33-35 psi when warm. And yes it is still important with damage off.



I blame the ants.
Rank: S-Class Racing License
#15 Posted : Monday, March 10, 2014 3:12:24 PM(UTC)
Well, if you won't be answering any more questions, I won't be bothering to build one of these. SNE is correct about the tyres. The grip level will fall off as the tyres overheat. You also don't specify what tyre type. I take it the build is race suspension, brakes and arbs, race or sport gearbox, adjustable differential, adjustable aero, and after that whatever you want to slap on? Does this work for FWD and AWD as well?

Edited by user Monday, March 10, 2014 3:14:25 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Rank: Racing Permit
#16 Posted : Monday, March 10, 2014 3:28:44 PM(UTC)
It is a Universal system for every car regardless of drive type. We could discuss the relative merits of this system forever. The only true test is on the track. You're obviously free to change any setting you don't like. Just take it for what it is. Oh yeah, don't forget about the fun part!

Edited by user Monday, March 10, 2014 6:50:27 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Rank: D-Class Racing License
#17 Posted : Monday, March 10, 2014 3:50:51 PM(UTC)
Absurd.
Rank: A-Class Racing License
 1 user liked this post.
#18 Posted : Monday, March 10, 2014 3:59:05 PM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: befuddler Go to Quoted Post
OK, I'll reply. It is a Universal system for every car regardless of drive type. We could discuss the relative merits of this system forever. The only true test is on the track. My only hope is that you find some value in it. You're obviously free to change any setting you don't like. I'm 63 years old and have driven more hours on Forza than I care to admit. If you have a better system, please post it so I can learn from you. I wouldn't try to promote this system to make drivers drive worse. My heart is in the right place. Just take it for what it is. Oh yeah, don't forget about the fun part!



I'll post a better system for you....tune each car individually. I have a base tune for each type of drivetrain and can slap that on and do an adequate job of running the car. In no way, shape or form is it better than fine tuning for each car.

http://www.twitch.tv/tneagle
Twitter @V12TNEagle
Rank: Racing Permit
#19 Posted : Monday, March 10, 2014 4:03:44 PM(UTC)
I agree individual tunings are better, but more than 90% of Forza racers have no idea how to do it.

Edited by user Monday, March 17, 2014 12:06:36 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Rank: On the Podium
#20 Posted : Monday, March 10, 2014 4:05:07 PM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: befuddler Go to Quoted Post
OK, I'll reply. It is a Universal system for every car regardless of drive type. We could discuss the relative merits of this system forever. The only true test is on the track. My only hope is that you find some value in it. You're obviously free to change any setting you don't like. I'm 63 years old and have driven more hours on Forza than I care to admit. If you have a better system, please post it so I can learn from you. I wouldn't try to promote this system to make drivers drive worse. My heart is in the right place. Just take it for what it is. Oh yeah, don't forget about the fun part!


The intention is wonderfull Befuddler, dont get me wrong.
To each tuner his preference.
When you posted, didnt you assume people would challenge your build ?
Rank: Series Champion
#21 Posted : Monday, March 10, 2014 4:07:27 PM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: WearyMick Go to Quoted Post
Does this work for FWD and AWD as well?


Not with those rollbars.

Talking to brick walls since 2007.
Motivational Poster. Praise Dragnet
Rank: Racing Permit
#22 Posted : Monday, March 10, 2014 4:16:19 PM(UTC)
Drows, I had no doubt what the response would be. With millions of copies of this game sold, right now, tonight there are less than a thousand racers running circuit and that number is going to go steadily down unless new blood can drive something that that can make it around the track. The Forza community is rough, but I love them anyway. Dust, roll bars have been updated. Set the roll bars however you feel makes the car run best.

Edited by user Tuesday, March 11, 2014 7:12:41 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Rank: On the Podium
#23 Posted : Monday, March 10, 2014 4:27:18 PM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: befuddler Go to Quoted Post
Drows, gravebelly and I had no doubt what the response would be. With millions of copies of this game sold, right now, tonight there are less than a thousand racers running circuit and that number is going to go steadily down unless new blood can drive something that that can make it around the track. The Forza community is rough, but I love them anyway. Dust, set the roll bars however you feel makes the car run best.


I'll tell you what, we'll do the test.
I'll take a car and run it stock, then run it with your setup and see which get me the best lap.

Choose the car choose the track (I like import and short track)
If I get better time with your setup, I wont say another word.
Rank: Racing Permit
#24 Posted : Monday, March 10, 2014 4:34:09 PM(UTC)
Use any track, any car, and any class. Anything else wouldn't be Universal.
Rank: On the Podium
#25 Posted : Monday, March 10, 2014 4:40:16 PM(UTC)
Well, I didnt want to bias the test with personnal preference ;)
And it would've given you a reward as I used your setup, but sure I'll do it.
3 Pages123Next

Notification

Icon
Error