3 Pages123PrevNext
#27 Posted : Wednesday, November 16, 2016 6:15:57 PM(UTC)
"Great article in @developonline by @cleaverslips highlighting how @WeArePlayground created fireworks in #ForzaHorizon3"
https://twitter.com/WeArePlayground/status/797053953888387072

Game Design Deep Dive: Forza Horizon 3's online co-op multiplayer
November 16, 2016 | By Grant Orban
http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/285394/Game_Design_Deep_Dive_Forza_Horizon_3s_online_coop_multiplayer.php
https://twitter.com/gamasutra/status/799002105952477184
Who: Grant Orban, game designer at Playground Games
What: A frictionless co-op campaign experience
We’ll briefly go through each design problem and the solution that we arrived at:
1. Players can be tens or even hundreds of hours apart in terms of campaign progress
2. Players may own just a handful of cars and cannot enter events with friends
3. Players in co-op may be of different skill levels
4. Players could play without mics or any form of communication
Why: Reaching a broad audience of players
Community Manager | ManteoMax.com Forza spreadsheets
 1 user liked this post.
#28 Posted : Thursday, December 1, 2016 10:51:53 PM(UTC)
Awards
Fun & Serious GameFest: "Our @funandserious Best Racing Game 2016 for #ForzaHorizon3 now on display in the @WeArePlayground studio courtesy of @ralphmfulton"
https://twitter.com/WeArePlayground/status/803644594101567488

The Game Awards: "The fans have spoken, the Best Sports/Racing Game award goes to @ForzaMotorsport's Forza Horizon 3! #TheGameAwards"
https://twitter.com/thegameawards/status/804525983814455300
#29 Posted : Monday, December 19, 2016 6:32:23 PM(UTC)
Awards

Best Racing Game 2016: Forza Horizon 3
By PC Gamer December 19, 2016
A beautiful open world and cars that feel great to drive—what's not to like?
https://twitter.com/pcgamer/status/811008224904278017
http://www.pcgamer.com/best-racing-game-2016-forza-horizon-3

Quote:
Forza Horizon 3 is our favourite racing game of 2016. The prize is awarded by PC Gamer staff through voting and debate. We'll be posting an award a day leading to Christmas, along with personal picks from the PCG team. Keep up with all the awards so far here.

The 2016 Sports Video Game Awards
Brian Mazique , Contributor
DEC 17, 2016 @ 08:00 AM
http://www.forbes.com/sites/brianmazique/2016/12/17/the-2016-sports-video-game-awards
Quote:
After spending countless hours with just about every sports game released in 2016, I've selected the standout games and modes in a variety of categories.

Quote:
Racing Game Nominees: Forza Horizon 3 and F1 2016

This might be the closest race of all. The artists for both games did a great job meticulously recreating the vehicles, but one incorporated a little more stylish pizazz and that's what got it the win here.

And the winner is...Forza Horizon 3

Get used to seeing this game in this article. Turn 10 Studios and Playground Games hit on all cylinders with their latest open-world racing adventure.

"Forza Horizon 3 is a nominee for our Best Visuals of 2016! Follow the link to cast a vote for your favorite!"
http://www.ign.com/wikis/best-of-2016-awards/Best_Visuals
https://twitter.com/IGN/status/811035907843178498

Edited by user Monday, December 19, 2016 6:37:52 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

#30 Posted : Thursday, February 16, 2017 12:10:10 AM(UTC)
The Forza Franchise Has Exceeded $1 Billion in Retail Sales
by Alan Hartman, Studio Head, Turn 10 Studios Posted on February 13, 2017 at 8:00 am
http://news.xbox.com/2017/02/13/forza-franchise-exceeded-1-billion-retail-sales/
https://twitter.com/XboxWire/status/831194391612006400
Quote:
Today, we’re excited to share a major milestone – as of December 2016, the Forza franchise has exceeded $1 billion in retail sales.

This news caps an amazing year. As of December, more than 14 million unique players were involved in the Forza community on Xbox One and Windows 10, the award-winning Forza Horizon 3 sold through 2.5 million units, and Forza continued its run as the best-selling racing franchise of this console generation.* Additionally, our online racing community expanded significantly: over three million players joined us online each month and we launched the Forza Racing Championship, an eSports league for players of all skill levels to compete for glory and real-world prizes.

“Since the beginning, Forza has combined stunning graphics, racing’s leading simulation engine, and an emphasis on fun and accessibility,” said Phil Spencer, head of Xbox. “With the Forza series, Turn 10 Studios has built the world’s largest racing community. We couldn’t be more proud of their success.”

We’d like to thank our amazing fans and partners for their continued support and we can’t wait for you to see what 2017 will bring.

*Source: The NPD Group/Retail Tracking Service (U.S., Canada, Australia, New Zealand) – November 2012-January 2017
#31 Posted : Thursday, February 16, 2017 12:14:55 AM(UTC)
Designing For HDR
Develop-Online.net 179 Feb 2017
Published on Feb 12, 2017
https://issuu.com/newbayeurope/docs/develop_179_feb_2017/58

Quote:
@developonline has just arrived featuring an article by @cleaverslips on #HDR in #ForzaHorizon3 with Lead Lighting Artist @jamiewood_art

https://twitter.com/WeArePlayground/status/831106964692332545
https://twitter.com/WeArePlayground/status/831534348297973761
#32 Posted : Monday, March 20, 2017 9:52:54 AM(UTC)
How Forza overtook Need for Speed to become the world's biggest racing IP
Christopher Dring
Senior Editor
Monday 20th March 2017
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2017-03-20-how-forza-overtook-need-for-speed-to-become-the-worlds-biggest-racing-ip
https://twitter.com/GIBiz/status/843848619543420928

Quote:
Playground and Turn10 directors discuss where the series goes from here

E3 2010 was the one where Microsoft detailed all its plans for Kinect, it was the one where Sony ended on its press event with Twisted Metal, and the expo where Nintendo fully unveiled the 3DS. It was also the one with that terrible Konami conference.

Yet, true to form, the real stories were emerging away from the big glitzy showpiece events.

While all that was going on, Forza creator Turn 10 was meeting a newly formed games developer called Playground at The Palm restaurant - a steakhouse just around the corner from the E3 show.

This is an extensive interview covering the history of Forza and its innovations and vision in the games industry. Quotes from Alan Hartman, Ralph Fulton, Gavin Raeburn, Dan Greenawalt.
#33 Posted : Thursday, April 6, 2017 5:15:40 AM(UTC)
Scorpio made simple: the next Xbox's tech explained
If you don't know a teraflop from a texture filter, read this.
By Oli Welsh Published 06/04/2017
https://twitter.com/eurogamer/status/849969958163316736
www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-04-06-project-scorpio-explained
Quote:
Did you see it running a game?
Yes. Well, a ForzaTech demo, which is a stress test based on the Forza Motorsport 6 engine, running the maximum number of cars around a track with dynamic weather and all the bells and whistles turned on.
How did it do?
Smashed it. At the same graphics quality settings as Xbox One, the demo ran at a full 4K resolution, at a perfect 60 frames per second. For Xbox One to do this at a standard HD resolution of 1080p uses about 90 per cent of that console's power. Scorpio was only using 60-70 per cent of its resources to run this demo. The graphics settings were then ramped up to the equivalent of the ultra settings on the PC game Forza Motorsport Apex, and Scorpio still didn't break a sweat.

Inside the next Xbox: Project Scorpio tech revealed
Digital Foundry has the specs, has seen it running, and has talked to the people who built it.
By Richard Leadbetter Published 06/04/2017
https://twitter.com/eurogamer/status/849969956057866240
www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2017-project-scorpio-tech-revealed
Quote:
Forza on Scorpio: 4K60 with power to spare

But the proof of the pudding is in the eating. Specs are one thing, but Microsoft is promising that both 900p and 1080p Xbox One games should be able to run at native 4K on Project Scorpio. We needed to see validation of this, meaning we needed to see software - a tough call so many months out from release.

Regardless, Microsoft duly obliged, showing us a ForzaTech demonstration with the Xbox One engine operating at native 4K, at a locked 60fps. As you can see in the screenshot above, GPU utilisation is remarkably low at just 60-70 per cent (you can grab a full 4K PNG version of the above shot here) - but we should stress that this is basically an Xbox One port, not representative of the full quality we'll see in final software.

"This is us. This is ForzaTech running 60 frames a second, 4K," says Turn 10 Studio Software Architect, Chris Tecton. "We're still running with settings that we would have used in Forza 6... but this is also including 4K content... we've got authored assets for this set of the models, cars, tracks everything. We pushed it through and made sure the 4K textures were flowing through. We've got them all there at the right resolutions and they're not giving us enough of a bandwidth hit to offset that. If we drop back to when we originally ran and we didn't have 4K assets, it was maybe one per cent different. We were very much bound on a different point than memory bandwidth. It's been awesome and this is the point it's at."

The demo stacks up the maximum amount of cars and runs the full AI and physics simulations. It's a highly taxing stress test, used to enforce the strict budgets in Forza Motorsport to ensure the locked 60fps the series is famous for. The ForzaTech port to Scorpio took two days to complete and was fully performant from day one. In fact, the team can push ForzaTech to the equivalent of PC's ultra-level settings and we're still sitting at 88 per cent GPU utilisation; in terms of system utilisation, this is ballpark with Xbox One at 1080p on its default settings. Clearly this is just one game, but the point is that Scorpio doesn't just scale Xbox One engines to 4K. For the Forza engine at least, there's overhead, and plenty of it.

"The awesome part about the whole story [is] that we can spend all this time heading into the future," enthuses Tector. "Instead of saying, 'How are we going to wrestle to get the performance on this?' we're actually saying we can make this quality trade-off or this quality trade-off and spend that time iterating, heading towards much better image quality. So instead of stressing about getting to a final resolution or a final frame-rate, we can really drive it all into quality."

Discussion about Forza at 8:20 in this video:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=RE2hNrq1Zxs

pic from Eurogamer. Note the different lighting/wet conditions from standard FM6.

Edited by user Thursday, April 6, 2017 6:24:20 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

#34 Posted : Thursday, April 6, 2017 6:46:15 AM(UTC)
Jeez, that screenshot looks fantastic!
#35 Posted : Thursday, April 6, 2017 7:47:03 AM(UTC)
indeed it does.
The thing sounds like a monster and much more powerful than one/s from the digital foundry vids.
Was really hoping that would be Forza 7 screenshot though ha, ah well.
 2 users liked this post.
#36 Posted : Thursday, April 6, 2017 8:07:16 AM(UTC)
A quick note just to clarify things:

• The content shown to Digital Foundry was a technical demo, using Forza Motorsport 6 assets and running on the ForzaTech engine that powers all current-generation Forza titles.

Tech demos can and often do contain features that are not present in retail versions of games. Their primary purpose is to show what can be made possible, and will always differ from retail versions of any titles featured.

• Forza Motorsport 7 was not mentioned anywhere in Eurogamer's Xbox Scorpio articles.

• Neither Turn 10 Studios nor Microsoft have publicly announced or confirmed that Forza Motorsport 7 "is a thing" yet.

In short, if you're waiting for news on Forza Motorsport 7 you're not getting anything here. I would suspect that the game won't be formally announced until early June.
#37 Posted : Thursday, April 6, 2017 8:33:37 AM(UTC)
^^^^in short: nothing to see here.
#38 Posted : Thursday, April 6, 2017 8:39:53 AM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: ManteoMax Go to Quoted Post

What a horribly unbalanced field. Pfft. Pre-order canceled.

The tech looks pretty good too, so far. Claimed to be the most powerful console ever.

Semi-off-topic, but I wonder, if this can play Xbox One games scaled to native 4K, then theoretically, could FM7 come out for the Xbox One [too]? Allowing the standard 1080p/60FPS on there, 4K/60 for Scorpio users? I know it's not that simple, but we wouldn't be left with a scenario similar to FM5, where if you didn't have an XB1, "oh well too bad."*

I'm also horrible when it comes to technical specs and related, but this just intrigued me a bit.

*I understand the circumstances regarding Forza titles and the generational console leap were different that time around.
One of "The 50"
#39 Posted : Thursday, April 6, 2017 8:42:14 AM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: xJonxMonx56 Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: ManteoMax Go to Quoted Post

What a horribly unbalanced field. Pfft. Pre-order canceled.

The tech looks pretty good too, so far. Claimed to be the most powerful console ever.

Semi-off-topic, but I wonder, if this can play Xbox One games scaled to native 4K, then theoretically, could FM7 come out for the Xbox One [too]? Allowing the standard 1080p/60FPS on there, 4K/60 for Scorpio users? I know it's not that simple, but we wouldn't be left with a scenario similar to FM5, where if you didn't have an XB1, "oh well too bad."*

I'm also horrible when it comes to technical specs and related, but this just intrigued me a bit.

*I understand the circumstances regarding Forza titles and the generational console leap were different that time around.

Wasn't it said at one point that all Scorpio games would also work on the One, and vice versa?
 2 users liked this post.
#40 Posted : Thursday, April 6, 2017 8:51:37 AM(UTC)
A game console that can possibly match PC ultra settings is not nothing to see. You didn't get a picture of Forza 7, I understand you are disappointed but this is good news for the future of gaming and the future of Forza.

Edited by user Thursday, April 6, 2017 9:08:12 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

#41 Posted : Thursday, April 6, 2017 8:55:40 AM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: TransAmConnor Go to Quoted Post

Wasn't it said at one point that all Scorpio games would also work on the One, and vice versa?

The relationship between Project Scorpio and Xbox One is largely similar to that between PlayStation 4 and PlayStation 4 Pro.

Games will be playable natively across both, but the Pro/Scorpio is a "beefed up" version capable of producing visual and performance upgrades.

#42 Posted : Thursday, April 6, 2017 9:06:50 AM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: PJTierney Go to Quoted Post

In short, if you're waiting for news on Forza Motorsport 7 you're not getting anything here.

Right, well this also isn't a thread about FM7. There's at least one thread about Scorpio in the General Xbox Gaming forum.

Originally Posted by: smoothroller Go to Quoted Post
^^^^in short: nothing to see here.

Scorpio news is relevant for FH3 for the display quality and likely improved loading times, and we haven't even seen launch plans yet.
User is suspended until 4/12/2045 3:18:22 AM(UTC)
#43 Posted : Thursday, April 6, 2017 9:27:15 AM(UTC)
I'm impressed with the specs but take the specs on that screenshot with a grain of salt as well. Please do remember that the Forza engine is a highly XBox-optimised engine. If you run non-Microsoft games on the Scorpio for sure it will demand a bit more power as well. Nevertheless, I'm impressed by the console and definitely will get one. Also seriously happy they did put in a 4K UHD Blu-Ray player since I really want that as well. Sony failed to deliver here on the PS4 Pro. :)

Right now my living room system is a 65"3D 4K UHD screen with 4K AV receiver and 5.1 home theatre sound system. Already got a PS4 Pro and XBox One connected to it, I will happily swap that XBox One out for the Scorpio later that year and put the old XBox One permanently in my second room (with Obutto Revolution racing rig). Bring on Project CARS 2! :)

That Scorpio will also be the first time I will see Final Fantasy XV and Forza Horizon 3 in HDR. For FFXV I was silly enough to buy that last year for XBox One without planning to buy the PS4 Pro yet. And I'm sure my growing catalogue of XBox games will have a couple of more HDR enabled games, CoD Infinite Warfare and Battlefield 1 I think?

By the way the main reason I bought that PS4 Pro lately was that I wanted to play Horizon Zero Dawn after all those great reviews and even though I have my 4K HDR TV for over a year now, I never had any HDR source to connect to it. Let me say you that HDR really blew me away and for me this is the future of gaming / Blu-Rays / general TV viewing. Screw 3D and screw VR (for now).

Now... all this in a climate where I should really focus more on my social life and less on my multimedia life. :P

What I found a bit weird on the Digital Foundry Scorpio clips is the complete absence of anything about VR. I'm not impressed by PS VR so for sure will skip that but if the Scorpio is powerful enough to deliver some decently looking VR I might give it a try. Hopefully Dirt Rally will get a VR upgrade for the XBox as well then, that would be sweet.

Edited by user Thursday, April 6, 2017 9:32:32 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

@sofa: XBO 1TB + Elite Controller ~ Samsung 65" SUHD curved 3D LED TV ~ 5.1 surround home theatre
@rig: XBO 1TB ~ obutto r3volution ~ Thrustmaster TX + T3PA + TH8A + Leather 28 GT ~ Samsung 50" 3D Plasma TV ~ H&K Soundsticks III
#44 Posted : Thursday, April 6, 2017 9:30:27 AM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: leetorts Go to Quoted Post
A game console that can possibly match PC ultra settings is not nothing to see. You didn't get a picture of Forza 7, I understand you are disappointed but this is good news for the future of gaming and the future of Forza.

Perhaps, but this is in the Forza Horizon subforum, when it really should be in General Xbox discussion (or maybe Forza 6 discussion). There really is nothing to see on the "Forza" front, other than an old game looking up-scaled.
#45 Posted : Friday, April 7, 2017 1:32:37 AM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: Breyzipp Go to Quoted Post
What I found a bit weird on the Digital Foundry Scorpio clips is the complete absence of anything about VR. I'm not impressed by PS VR so for sure will skip that but if the Scorpio is powerful enough to deliver some decently looking VR I might give it a try. Hopefully Dirt Rally will get a VR upgrade for the XBox as well then, that would be sweet.

Perhaps this has something to do with the state of VR technology. Been hearing a lot of buzz recently that VR tech is still not ready yet to really be a viable option for current pcs and consoles. It may be that they just don't want to tie any Scorpio talk to a technology that is not really ready to deliver yet (VR).

Edited by user Friday, April 7, 2017 1:34:02 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

#46 Posted : Sunday, April 9, 2017 9:27:20 PM(UTC)
Forza Motorsport on Scorpio: the full story
How Turn 10's software helped to shape the next Xbox.
By Richard Leadbetter Published 09/04/2017 (April 9)
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2017-forza-motorsport-on-project-scorpio-the-full-story
https://twitter.com/digitalfoundry/status/851057612061913092
www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYfj0Ah0SfI

Quote:
Just prior to Digital Foundry's visit to the Microsoft campus, Xbox's Senior Director of Console Marketing, Albert Penello, asked me what I needed to see on the day, what I thought was critical to the story. The answer was obvious and immediate: beyond the specs and the tech deep dives, I needed to see software running on actual hardware. Promises had been made concerning Xbox One engines scaling up to 4K and as compelling as the tech talks would be, only a real-time demo could really validate the claims made for the machine. Penello sat back confidently, nodded, smiled and the conversation moved on.

Less than 24 hours later, I'm talking with Chris Tector, Studio Software Architect at Turn 10 Studios. In common with every Scorpio presentation I've had that day, there's a sense of excitement in the atmosphere. He's genuinely thrilled to share the studio's role in Project Scorpio's development and yes, I will be seeing Forza running in real-time on the new console.

However, the 'ForzaTech' demo I'll be seeing won't be Forza Motorsport 7 - software announcements aren't typically tied into hardware deep dives - but clearly, Turn 10 and the Xbox team are confident that final software will match or indeed exceed the quality of what I'll be reporting on.
#47 Posted : Monday, April 10, 2017 11:03:01 AM(UTC)
How Forza raced past the competition to become gaming's biggest driving series
By Tom Hoggins 10 APRIL 2017 • 11:00AM
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/gaming/what-to-play/forza-raced-past-competition-become-gamings-biggest-driving/
https://twitter.com/ralphmfulton/status/851472245771948032

Quote:
In February of this year, rambunctious open-world racer Forza Horizon 3 surpassed 2.5m sales. A formidable statistic in itself for a game released in September 2016, this also pushed the Forza series total lifetime sales past the $1bn mark, cementing the Xbox series as the most popular racing series for the best part of two generations. Forza’s steady flow of releases (alternating between Horizon and original simulation Motorsport) and its remarkable level of improvement has seen it whizz past EA’s wildly inconsistent Need for Speed series and PlayStation’s revered but oft-absent Gran Turismo.

Forza has come a long way since its inception on the original Xbox in 2005.

Edited by user Monday, April 10, 2017 11:06:22 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

#48 Posted : Monday, April 10, 2017 11:05:50 AM(UTC)
Great Deals During the Spring Sale, April 11 – 17
by Sara Shone, Senior Product Marketing Manager, Games Marketing Posted on April 10, 2017 at 9:00 am
http://news.xbox.com/2017/04/10/xbox-spring-sale-april-2017
https://twitter.com/XboxWire/status/851471819727020032

Quote:
Starting tomorrow, April 11, fans can take advantage of the Spring Sale on Xbox with deals on more than 350 games, Xbox accessories, movies & TV shows, music and apps.

For the gamer, the Spring Sale includes deals for Xbox One, Xbox 360, and Windows 10. Xbox games are up to 67% off and an additional 10% off for Xbox Live Gold members. Popular titles and add-ons include Battlefield 1, Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare, Titanfall 2, FIFA 17, Overwatch, For Honor, and many more! If that’s not enough, choose from over 35 Backward Compatible titles on sale!

Not an Xbox Live Gold member yet? Sign in to Xbox.com and go Gold for $1 for the first month of membership until April 17th to save even more during the Spring Sale.

For the PC gamer, Windows 10 games such as Fallout Shelter, Forza Horizon 3, Halo Wars 2, Astroneer, and many more games will also be in the sale in Windows Store. Some of these games support Xbox Play Anywhere, meaning one purchase gets you the game on Xbox One and Windows 10 with cross save capability, allowing you to pick up and play from different platforms.

And for the first time, Xbox Design Lab controllers will be included in the sale, and also check your Xbox console for exclusive deals on other controllers and headsets. In addition, Microsoft Store will also offer in store and online savings that include $30 off select Xbox games and 33% off select PCs.

Edited by user Monday, April 10, 2017 11:08:17 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

#50 Posted : Wednesday, May 17, 2017 12:27:41 PM(UTC)
Playground spent 18 months developing the first 10 minutes of Forza Horizon 3
“First impressions change how players perceive a game,” says creative director Ralph Fulton
James Batchelor, Senior Editor
Wednesday 17th May 2017
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2017-05-17-playground-spent-18-months-developing-the-first-10-minutes-of-forza-horizon-3
https://twitter.com/GIBiz/status/864866276346343425

Quote:
Forza Horizon creator Playground Games spent the majority of a two-year development cycle iterating and polishing the first ten minutes of the series' third entry.

The revelation comes from a talk by founder and creative director Ralph Fulton at this week's Nordic Game Conference - one of several talks curated by GamesIndustry.biz. His presentation focused on the importance of making a good first impression with consumers.

"Humans form their first impressions incredibly quickly," he told attendees. "We apparently decide whether we like someone, or whether we want to do business with them, within the first three seconds.

"So what happens if you don't make a good first impression [with your game]? In the most extreme cases, your player will stop playing."

He elaborated that even in console games, where consumers have paid around $60 to acquire the game, they can still be quick to drop it and move on to other titles. He used a few statistics gleaned from achievements data on Xbox to illustrate this.

Between 10% and 20% of players across the Forza Horizon series don't get the first achievement, something Fulton insists only involves "driving around in a car for a bit". It's not just Forza players, either: the Playground founder claims 27% of BioShock Infinite players don't get the first achievement for reaching the city of Colombia at the very start of the game, while over 30% of Minecraft players never open their inventory - something explained in the tutorial.

3 Pages123PrevNext

Notification

Icon
Error