This site uses cookies for analytics and personalized content. By continuing to browse this site, you agree to this use. Learn more
 1 user liked this post.
#1 Posted : Monday, June 6, 2016 4:16:42 PM(UTC)
What if you only owned one car, and it was made prior to 1974?
Let's say your eccentric Uncle Bud gave you his beloved old car and you wanted to campaign in all kinds of events from hillclimbs to darg races to high-speed circuit and oval races, to tight & twisty technical courses like Viejo Extreme?
Let's find out which of the old classics is most versatile.
You must choose one car for the first challenge event, which will be Road America. The same car will be your ride for the whole "season," with a new and different type event coming up every week or so. There are some rules~

1. Your choice must be a production car which left the factory before or during the "oil crisis" year of 1973.

2. The car must look like a fairly basic restoration. No added aero features at all. No roll cages (chassis stiffening OK so long as it isn't visible). Weight reduction OK, even if a passenger seat is removed. Custom paint color, aftermarket wheels and upgraded tires OK. License plates totally optional; no license, accurate real-world plates or any kind of vanity plate OK. No racing numbers, sponsor decals or striping. No driver name painted on the car. The idea is to have a street-legal appearance. Remember, this is the only car you own, so you need to use it for your daily driver. You might lose your cubicle at Worldwide Megalithic Industries if the boss spots you getting out of an (ugh!) race car in the company parking lot.

3. You may develop as many different tuning setups as you like. The class will always be "S." FWD and RWD are legal, but AWD is not.

4. Best clean lap (or best pass in the case of drag races), documented by a replay, will win the challenge. One point for each win.

5. The championship event will count for two points if it is won by anyone other than the driver who is ahead in points at the beginning of the event.

6. King of the hill after the championship wins 100 million credits.

7. Beginning with the third "episode," each challenge is terminated one day after the next challenge is posted. See the Episode 2 thread for a special rule about those who join the series late.

My replay is up on my SF. I actually had a slightly faster lap earlier in the week, but failed to save a replay. I'm in with a 2:20.843 based on this replay. Not a great start, but I don't really expect to be the fastest in this crowd.

Edited by user Friday, October 7, 2016 6:14:06 AM(UTC)  | Reason: added my photo & corrected the usual smattering of typos

1 user liked this post.
#2 Posted : Wednesday, June 8, 2016 11:50:43 AM(UTC)
When you see this thing pull into your garage...

...you know you just won a pile of credits by playing Racer's Lounge challenges.
#3 Posted : Thursday, June 9, 2016 10:03:26 PM(UTC)
My car choice, 1966 Lotus Cortina
2:14.637 - lap 3 Road America
It's a bit of a handfull, the traction control is having to work overtime lol.

Edited by user Saturday, June 11, 2016 4:38:04 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

GT - Wan Ge 1

Bigtime Muscle Member
#4 Posted : Friday, June 10, 2016 8:23:09 AM(UTC)
My time & PB for this course;
2:16:516 Lap 4, replay on sf.

Uncle Bud #1

Now I did put a DB9 engine in the DB5 & removed the front & rear bumper and added Hole Shot Wheels, the paint is my version of British Racing Green, if any of these mortifications are illegal please let me know, 😎
#5 Posted : Saturday, June 11, 2016 4:38:15 AM(UTC)
Car of choice is the 1973 Porsche 911
I even removed the original rear wing for a better look
Laptime : 2:10.852 on lap 4 - replay uploaded

1 user liked this post.
#6 Posted : Saturday, June 11, 2016 4:46:39 AM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: TigerFoxBlade Go to Quoted Post
My time & PB for this course;
2:16:516 Lap 4, replay on sf.

Uncle Bud #1

Now I did put a DB9 engine in the DB5 & removed the front & rear bumper and added Hole Shot Wheels, the paint is my version of British Racing Green, if any of these mortifications are illegal please let me know, 😎

If your Uncle Bud is no longer with us, I have no problem with the mods you made. If he's still around, he'll have a fit when he sees the bumpers are missing.
#7 Posted : Tuesday, July 12, 2016 4:23:36 PM(UTC)
Speedway (oval) racing will be next.
Second round upcoming, in about a week.
#8 Posted : Monday, September 5, 2016 8:42:07 AM(UTC)
What's the consensus? Do I continue with this series, or is it not very interesting?
#9 Posted : Monday, September 5, 2016 1:36:41 PM(UTC)
I gave this a few attempts, but S class power in a pre '73 chassis and not allowed aero - just a too much for my patience level =/
sig box
#10 Posted : Monday, September 5, 2016 5:30:08 PM(UTC)
I interested. I'm thinking of using the 1969 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am. Can we use and upgrade turbo? Is sport chassis reinforcement and roll cage ok? Is American Racing Torq-Thrust M rims ok? Are there limits on rim size and tire width?
#11 Posted : Monday, September 5, 2016 6:55:26 PM(UTC)
my uncle, who used to work for the EPA, gave me an old Dodge. I think it had "Daytona" or something written on the side of it? Anyway, it also had a bunch of parts and such that came along with it. I will see if I can get it runnin'...

Stock/street appearance - No areo, No roll-cage, no all-wheel/four-wheel drive, but engine swaps and aspiration upgrades are Ok, right?

#12 Posted : Tuesday, September 6, 2016 7:58:50 AM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: TarryVariable1 Go to Quoted Post
I interested. I'm thinking of using the 1969 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am. Can we use and upgrade turbo? Is sport chassis reinforcement and roll cage ok? Is American Racing Torq-Thrust M rims ok? Are there limits on rim size and tire width?

no rollcages, but there are no limits on rim type/size/tire width: engine upgrades and unseen chassis mods are fine
#13 Posted : Thursday, September 8, 2016 6:22:15 AM(UTC)
T0rqueFact0ry couple of questions. 1. Do I have to beat your Road America time to continue in comp? 2. Is turbo considered an engine upgrade and OK?
#14 Posted : Thursday, September 8, 2016 12:05:58 PM(UTC)
Seems me and MBD Titus - our uncles are related somewhere back on my mother's side ;] Thanks for the help ;]

73 Porsche 911 - Road America - 2:16.220

aa

aa

aa

aa

aa

aa

aa

aa

aa
sig box
#15 Posted : Thursday, September 8, 2016 4:19:11 PM(UTC)
1969 Dodge Charger Daytona HEMI - Road America - 02:14.669

#16 Posted : Thursday, September 8, 2016 6:51:44 PM(UTC)
My Uncle Bud gave me his old 1969 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am since he got a newer Firebird. Hope I can get this Firebird to be competitive. So far I got 2:43.655 on Road America. Replay in my storefront named BudsOldTransAm1.

[img]UncleBudsOldCarPic000001 by TarryVariable1, on Flickr[/img]

Edited by user Thursday, September 8, 2016 6:57:47 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

1 user liked this post.
#17 Posted : Thursday, September 8, 2016 7:19:45 PM(UTC)

Uncle Joe

Edited by user Friday, September 9, 2016 3:55:10 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

#18 Posted : Thursday, September 8, 2016 7:25:13 PM(UTC)
Lol, Hey, do you know my Firebird loving Uncle Bud, Leek?
#19 Posted : Saturday, September 17, 2016 5:49:07 AM(UTC)
2:10.852 looks like a winner. That's exceptionally fast, if you ask me. I am leaving this open until after the second episode ends. Beyond that, anyone joining us will not have a chance to score points for the first two events. But until then (let's say 21 days from now), everyone can make another run at that 2:10 mark. Yeah, good luck with that. I'm going to give Road America another go myself.

A word about qualifying: beating my lap time is not a requirement for moving on to the oval racing comp. Taking part in R. America and Sunset speedway will not be required before jumping in during Episode 3 (drag racing). Trying this challenge is necessary before doing the Sunset comp. It's a one-time modification of the rules laid out when the Uncle Bud season began. This is my way of giving new entries a shot at a point in the standings, which may seem a bit unfair to Titus, but I think he'll be good-natured about it...

Having a single point for each event* is unusual but there it is.

*When we get to the finale, or World Championship of Uncle Bud, or Super-Duper Bowl, that event will be worth one point if won by the person who has the top score going in, but two points if won by anyone else. I'm also going to amend the prizes so that at least the top three drivers will be rewarded, but the main (King of the Hill) prize will still be 100million. If Kool doesn't get that Porsche painted by the championship round, he'll have to pay the fuel bill for the whole series.
#20 Posted : Monday, September 19, 2016 1:24:20 AM(UTC)
i'm also running the 73 Porsche 911 .... replay up 2.14.670 Lap 5

Edited by user Monday, September 19, 2016 1:44:19 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

....... But officer, I was going too fast to read the speed limit sign
#21 Posted : Tuesday, September 27, 2016 10:04:04 AM(UTC)
Coming in late but uncle Bud just now gave up the keys to his old 70 Cougar Just need to tune her and she will be ready

Edited by user Wednesday, September 28, 2016 8:20:56 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

#22 Posted : Tuesday, September 27, 2016 12:09:14 PM(UTC)
Ok so I have just lapped the old girl and man she is a blast to drive. By the I ran out of gas I got a good time of 2:28:046 on lap 3. replay on my storefront titled uncle bud s1e1

Edited by user Wednesday, September 28, 2016 8:36:57 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

#23 Posted : Wednesday, September 28, 2016 8:57:47 AM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: RobMar302 Go to Quoted Post
Ok so I have just lapped the old girl and man she is a blast to drive. By the I ran out of gas I got a good time of 2:28:046 on lap 3. replay on my storefront titled uncle bud s1e1

I plan to look at your replay...and will be sending your Cuda!
Welcome to the Ghost Town; we're glad to have some company.

Nice paint job; very sharp (period look of an older restoration)
#24 Posted : Thursday, September 29, 2016 10:34:46 PM(UTC)
Was finally able to get a clean lap time of 2:27:839 with tc and sim steering will try to improve but I dont want to kick a gift horse in the mouth

Notification

Icon
Error