This site uses cookies for analytics and personalized content. By continuing to browse this site, you agree to this use. Learn more
#1 Posted : Monday, May 16, 2016 8:00:55 AM(UTC)
I was wondering what other people do different as far as build and tune if they were building a car for a tight, curvy track vs a track with Long straights and wide corners vs tracks with long straights but mostly really tight corners? Just in general, no specific car in mind. I do mostly race A class FYI
#2 Posted : Monday, May 16, 2016 9:28:22 AM(UTC)
There are several threads that have been posted for both FM6 & FM5 in the respective Tuner's sections that have basically asked the same question, thus, I'd recommend to do a quick search on both areas.

DJ Saoco
 1 user liked this post.
#3 Posted : Monday, May 16, 2016 10:47:48 AM(UTC)
Car builds and tunes will vary from track to track depending on layout.
DRIVE FAST OR DON'T BOTHER DRIVING....
PTG W4RLOCK
WWW.PENDULUMTUNING.PROBOARDS.COM
Twitter @ptg_w4rlock
#4 Posted : Monday, May 16, 2016 3:10:06 PM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: PTG W4RLOCK Go to Quoted Post
Car builds and tunes will vary from track to track depending on layout.

We'll I wasn't asking for specifics. Just trying to start a conversation about mostly how people tend to build a car for different tracks. General what they lean towards doing. I don't have the time on my hands to build a car for every track so I have certain things I lean towards doing for types of tracks
#5 Posted : Tuesday, May 17, 2016 2:58:28 AM(UTC)
I firstly go for acceleration, then speed, and finally handling. My favourite drives in S Class are:

Caterham (acc: 9.7, spd: 6.2, hdl: 5.9)
Porsche GT2 (acc: 9.4, spd: 7.7, hdl: 6.1)

And when I really need some handling

Ferrari F50 ( acc: 9.2, spd: 7.6, hdl: 6.5)
#6 Posted : Tuesday, May 17, 2016 3:05:06 AM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: MuddyPuddle00 Go to Quoted Post
I firstly go for acceleration, then speed, and finally handling. My favourite drives in S Class are:

Caterham (acc: 9.7, spd: 6.2, hdl: 5.9)
Porsche GT2 (acc: 9.4, spd: 7.7, hdl: 6.1)

And when I really need some handling

Ferrari F50 ( acc: 9.2, spd: 7.6, hdl: 6.5)

So you go for engine upgrades first and then suspension and tire ect? How do you decide you've done enough engine before you put some handling in?

I always put spring, ABRS, brakes all race and then as much weight reduction I can and then I do tire compound(sport is usually my minimum for a class), skip width and then do engine and width if I decide I have extra PI.

#7 Posted : Tuesday, May 17, 2016 5:31:21 PM(UTC)
It all depends on your driving style, but when building a car to see if i can beat or match a downloaded tune, i would have the same 3 cars with different builds, ranging from high power/low grip, to low power/high grip. I just continue to free lap and tune, until i find a build/tune that i can consistently run fast times, or give up and use a downloaded tune. The key word is being consistent over multiple laps, and not necessarily the fastest on a single lap, unless you are building for hot lapping.

My primary race focus is to get through that 1st corner without getting collected , and then race clean. That's why i use the 4wd caterham and porsche gt2, as there isn't much that can out drag them to 140mph, but then they have sufficient handling/acceleration to hold off, all bar the very best of racers.
#8 Posted : Tuesday, May 24, 2016 5:50:15 PM(UTC)
I keep three different builds for each car I use for each class I run it in. I typically use a balanced build, less frequently a grip prioritized setup, and even less frequently a power/speed focused build.

If I'm tuning for grip at lower speeds I prioritize weight upgrades because they enhance both low speed acceleration, grip, and braking. If I have PI to spare what I choose depends on what the car needs to take advantage of its strengths and where I intend to use it.

If I plan to use the car on tracks with a high average speed I prioritize horsepower upgrades to enhance high speed acceleration. At high speeds horsepower and aerodynamics mean more to acceleration than weight does.

Edited by user Tuesday, May 24, 2016 5:50:53 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

#9 Posted : Tuesday, May 24, 2016 6:28:49 PM(UTC)
more power and less handling for power tracks and the oppsite for handling tracks, the key is knowing what tracks are what and by how much.
#10 Posted : Thursday, April 19, 2018 6:41:36 PM(UTC)
And yes a track with a narrower width is more towards power and accell than handling.

Notification

Icon
Error