This site uses cookies for analytics and personalized content. By continuing to browse this site, you agree to this use. Learn more
#1 Posted : Friday, May 13, 2016 11:03:47 AM(UTC)
Hi - does anyone have some good graphics settings for the mobile Nvidia 970M GPU with 3GB vRAM (which is probably the most common gaming laptop GPU currently)?

My CPU is an Intel Core i7-4720HQ Quad Core@2.60GHz 6MB cach (it Turbo Boosts to about 3.5Ghz) and I have 16GB RAM (2133Mhz)

Forza Apex runs pretty well at 1080p on high (ultra is selectable, but fps is pretty low) with dynamic optimisation on, but there is some stuttering, so am thinking of turning dynamic optimisation off, but am unsure of which manual graphics settings to make. Thanks
#2 Posted : Friday, May 13, 2016 1:27:08 PM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: Metalogic777 Go to Quoted Post
Hi - does anyone have some good graphics settings for the mobile Nvidia 970M GPU with 3GB vRAM (which is probably the most common gaming laptop GPU currently)?

My CPU is an Intel Core i7-4720HQ Quad Core@2.60GHz 6MB cach (it Turbo Boosts to about 3.5Ghz) and I have 16GB RAM (2133Mhz)

Forza Apex runs pretty well at 1080p on high (ultra is selectable, but fps is pretty low) with dynamic optimisation on, but there is some stuttering, so am thinking of turning dynamic optimisation off, but am unsure of which manual graphics settings to make. Thanks

Which laptop are you using, out of curiosity? I have a Clevo P650SE with the i7-4720HQ and GTX 970M 3GB, so it's the same specification as your own system. Mine has 8GB of RAM at the moment but i have another 4GB coming through the post on either Saturday or Monday. Forza runs alright for me on the 'High' preset with 8x MSAA forced in the settings, however i have only tested it thoroughly in the 'Test Drive' mode. I did play a few races from the main mode in the hope of unlocking some more cars, and the framerate dropped quite significantly, especially in the rainy weather.

Can i ask what temperatures you're getting on the CPU while playing this game? For me it's 85-100° which seems ridiculous, i think it's because the game is only using a few cores and so more strain is being put onto the processor. Once i've dismantled my laptop within the next few days, repasted the CPU/GPU and installed the additional RAM, i will look into some optimal settings for a solid 60FPS on this laptop!
 2 users liked this post.
#3 Posted : Friday, May 13, 2016 2:11:10 PM(UTC)
Stuttering is common at this stage. My 970 easily maxes up at 60fps but there are HUGE stutters (up to three seconds long freezing) during which the GPU usage spikes to 0%. I believe it is either an optimization issue or an issue with UWP.
#4 Posted : Friday, May 13, 2016 3:08:14 PM(UTC)
I have the 950m and same cpu and can barely run on low setting with 720 resolution :(.
#5 Posted : Friday, May 13, 2016 11:01:04 PM(UTC)
As noted in the FAQ/Known Issues; you guys seem to be running laptops most possibly with an Intel CPU as with an IGP. Look in your BIOS and disable any possible graphics adapter that is linked to your CPU like HD4600 for the i7-4720HQ.

Also keep in mind that most onboard Nvidia-GPU's like the 950M might not all have dedicated memory and use (parts) of your RAM. A machine with 8GB RAM installed could be using only 6.1GB for Windows and 1.9GB for GPU. That puts it immediately below the recommended specs of 8GB RAM and 2GB dedicated video memory.

That said (and I looked up some benchmarks), the 950M is barely on par with the GT740 so I can imagine a 950M not being able to play at any decent resolution/framerate.

Edited by user Friday, May 13, 2016 11:05:48 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

#6 Posted : Saturday, May 14, 2016 1:04:18 AM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: OctagonQontrol Go to Quoted Post
As noted in the FAQ/Known Issues; you guys seem to be running laptops most possibly with an Intel CPU as with an IGP. Look in your BIOS and disable any possible graphics adapter that is linked to your CPU like HD4600 for the i7-4720HQ.

It's not possible to disable the integrated Intel GPU on my laptop (nor many others, I suspect), even though it also has a dedicated Nvidia GPU - normally this doesn't matter, though, the main thing is to make sure that the game is using the correct GPU (it does seem to be on my case), if it's not, you can probably override this by setting specific settings for Forza Apex (you'll need to know where the .exe for the game resides, though) in the Nvidia Control panel.
 1 user liked this post.
#7 Posted : Saturday, May 14, 2016 1:20:18 AM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: P650SE Go to Quoted Post

Which laptop are you using, out of curiosity? I have a Clevo P650SE with the i7-4720HQ and GTX 970M 3GB, so it's the same specification as your own system. Mine has 8GB of RAM at the moment but i have another 4GB coming through the post on either Saturday or Monday.

I have pretty much the same laptop as you - it's an XMG P505 (a re-branded Clevo P651SE)! Think the only difference is the finish (the P651 is matte bead-blasted, the P650 brushed metal)

Forza runs alright for me on the 'High' preset with 8x MSAA forced in the settings, however i have only tested it thoroughly in the 'Test Drive' mode. I did play a few races from the main mode in the hope of unlocking some more cars, and the framerate dropped quite significantly, especially in the rainy weather.

Okay, I'll try that, but I was also wondering whether any particular settings like shadows or DOF are worth turning down/off to improve performance, or whether that would just make the game look bad. Also which anisotropic filtering setting to use.

Can i ask what temperatures you're getting on the CPU while playing this game? For me it's 85-100° which seems ridiculous, i think it's because the game is only using a few cores and so more strain is being put onto the processor. Once i've dismantled my laptop within the next few days, repasted the CPU/GPU and installed the additional RAM, i will look into some optimal settings for a solid 60FPS on this laptop!

Thanks. I haven't run any temperature tests yet - what tool are you using to measure temps? Intel XTU? Nvidia Inspector? MSI Afterburner? BTW I haven't tried to overclock the GPU with this game yet, but some mild GPU overclocking is usually possible with the Clevo P65x (using Nvidia Inspector or MSI Afterburner), as the GPU is well-cooled by two fans. The CPU is more prone to high temps, so I usually leave this alone, or even undervolt it slightly in XTU.

BTW my laptop about 16 months old, and I had problems a few months back with the CPU overheating (sometimes reaching 99 C), but I cleaned out the fans and vents which were well-clogged with dust etc. and the temps dropped back to pretty much normal - so try this first! I also repasted both the CPU and GPU with Gelid Extreme GC-3 for good measure, but it was the clogged fans/vents that were the main problem.

Edited by user Saturday, May 14, 2016 1:21:08 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

#8 Posted : Saturday, May 14, 2016 2:20:31 AM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: OctagonQontrol Go to Quoted Post
That said (and I looked up some benchmarks), the 950M is barely on par with the GT740 so I can imagine a 950M not being able to play at any decent resolution/framerate.

I know :), was more supprised that the 970m was able to run on high settings then my 950m just barely able to run on low.
#9 Posted : Saturday, May 14, 2016 4:15:05 AM(UTC)
BTW @P650SE my max CPU temp when running the game seems to be about 73 C (monitoring with XTU)

I've tried overclocking my GPU by +100 MHz clock +700Mhz Memory, seems to be stable when running Forza Apex. Still fiddling with the graphics settings in Apex to try to reduce stuttering - 2 X MSAA seems to be about the most it can manage, with most textures on high, but some things like shadows and mirror quality on medium. Still trying to find the best balance of quality vs. smoothness, so would be interested to hear what other people find works.

BTW I have audio quality on "high", as prefer the best audio quality possible for racing games
#10 Posted : Sunday, May 15, 2016 8:10:52 AM(UTC)

Which laptop are you using, out of curiosity? I have a Clevo P650SE with the i7-4720HQ and GTX 970M 3GB, so it's the same specification as your own system. Mine has 8GB of RAM at the moment but i have another 4GB coming through the post on either Saturday or Monday.

I have pretty much the same laptop as you - it's an XMG P505 (a re-branded Clevo P651SE)! Think the only difference is the finish (the P651 is matte bead-blasted, the P650 brushed metal)

Forza runs alright for me on the 'High' preset with 8x MSAA forced in the settings, however i have only tested it thoroughly in the 'Test Drive' mode. I did play a few races from the main mode in the hope of unlocking some more cars, and the framerate dropped quite significantly, especially in the rainy weather.

Okay, I'll try that, but I was also wondering whether any particular settings like shadows or DOF are worth turning down/off to improve performance, or whether that would just make the game look bad. Also which anisotropic filtering setting to use.

Thanks. I haven't run any temperature tests yet - what tool are you using to measure temps? Intel XTU? Nvidia Inspector? MSI Afterburner? BTW I haven't tried to overclock the GPU with this game yet, but some mild GPU overclocking is usually possible with the Clevo P65x (using Nvidia Inspector or MSI Afterburner), as the GPU is well-cooled by two fans. The CPU is more prone to high temps, so I usually leave this alone, or even undervolt it slightly in XTU.

BTW my laptop about 16 months old, and I had problems a few months back with the CPU overheating (sometimes reaching 99 C), but I cleaned out the fans and vents which were well-clogged with dust etc. and the temps dropped back to pretty much normal - so try this first! I also repasted both the CPU and GPU with Gelid Extreme GC-3 for good measure, but it was the clogged fans/vents that were the main problem.

Awesome! Thanks for the informative response. Yes, i am quite familiar with the Schenker XMG P505 and their other rebranded Clevo notebooks. Like you said, the P650 does have a brushed aluminium effect whereas the XMG version is more of a matte coated effect. Also, i believe the piece which surrounds the vent at the rear is black on the XMG and silver on the P650. The XMG looks better, in my opinion. However i didn't know these variants used different model numbers (P650/P651) and it's genuinely interesting to learn that. I do know the P650SE is the 965/970M version and the P650SG is the slightly thicker one with the 980M.

I did realise you'd be after more detail about the graphical settings other than the basic preset i'd mentioned, haha. Mine has been getting quite hot recently and seeing the temperatures of 85-100° in Forza Apex was the final straw for me, pretty much. After dismantling the laptop, cleaning out the cooling system and repasting the processors using Arctic MX-5, the idle temperatures are now tremendous at 30-35° so i'm hoping it will be a similar situation while playing Forza Apex. I've also installed another 4GB of RAM which has been added into the fourth slot on the underside of the motherboard. I was extremely surprised at how much dust had actually gathered inside the laptop, there were massive clumps of it wrapped around the fans and collecting against the heatsink vents.

For viewing the CPU temperatures i'm using Core Temp RC8, i find this to be the best because i've configured it to discreetly show the maximum current temperature in the notification area. It also keeps track on the maximum temperatures during a session, so you can head back after gaming and see how much heat has been produced. I sometimes use an overlay with RivaTuner Statistics Server and HWiNFO which displays the temperatures of the CPU/GPU, and it also shows CPU/GPU/RAM/SSD/HDD usage percentages as well. It's handy because if a game is stuttering, you can check all this information while it's happening to diagnose the problem with ease!
#11 Posted : Wednesday, May 18, 2016 9:21:39 AM(UTC)
I haven't checked my own temps, I probably should.

I got an MSI apache ge 72

I run with custom settings. Everything is mostly ultra and maxed with the exception of particles/depth of field/particle resolution. Everything else is cranked up. If anything you should crank up stuff for the Cars to look good. Also I have v-sync off and FPS set to 60 with force resolution on at 1080P if I dropped the 1080P and went down in res I could probably crank everything up to Ultra.
#12 Posted : Wednesday, May 18, 2016 11:07:27 PM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: rayblind Go to Quoted Post
I haven't checked my own temps, I probably should.

I got an MSI apache ge 72

I run with custom settings. Everything is mostly ultra and maxed with the exception of particles/depth of field/particle resolution. Everything else is cranked up. If anything you should crank up stuff for the Cars to look good. Also I have v-sync off and FPS set to 60 with force resolution on at 1080P if I dropped the 1080P and went down in res I could probably crank everything up to Ultra.

Is your MSI using an Nvidia 970M or 980M? My 970M really struggles with most things on Ultra, but is pretty good with most things on high.

What actual settings do you have for particles resolution and quality? Quarter/Low? I assume depth of field you've just turned off? What values do you have for anisotrophic filtering and MSAA quality?

#13 Posted : Sunday, May 22, 2016 9:16:06 AM(UTC)
I checked again and my current setup I had stuttering on Rio Mtn track and Yas marina had stuttering. Not terrible probably could have gotten away with 30 with everything turned up but that's not really what I want.

My settings currently:
Force res on: have to test this one.
res 1920 x 1080
fps: 60
aniso: 16x
shadows: high/ultra (if you more FPS set this to low or off period)
particle res: dynamic/low(have to check with this but these are probably not needed)
procedural: High
car texture: High
Mirror: High
Car Model: high
particle effects: dynamic/low(this should be low)
dof: dynamic/low (this will definitely kill fps especially with high MSAA)
MSAA: 8X
lens flare: dynamic/low
track texture: high
reflection quality: dynamic/low(I have to play with this one too. I believe it can be killer like dof/msaa)

setup
MSI ge72 apache pro
970M 3gb
16gb ram
1TB HD and 500GB samsung SSD evo 850 pro. Game is installed on SSD.
win10 home
#14 Posted : Sunday, May 22, 2016 8:47:27 PM(UTC)
I have an Asus G751 with i7-4720HQ and GTX970M 3gb. I have 22gb system ram. I have all my settings maxed, even AA, and the game runs great. I am running overclocked though, my 970m is at 1.3ghz under load and 3ghz for the ram (+261 and +500).

Oh I should say the game behaves very weird on my PC - if I have any setting, no matter what it is, below it's Max setting, the game stutters, often. The more settings I lower, the worse it gets. If I have it at Dynamic (which it got reset to when the patch hit), it's unplayable. Stutter and jank, and frame drops, ugh.

Edited by user Sunday, May 22, 2016 9:02:22 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

#15 Posted : Monday, May 23, 2016 6:05:34 PM(UTC)
I think that dynamic setting is a problem. Not sure but I wouldn't be surprised.
#16 Posted : Monday, May 23, 2016 9:31:12 PM(UTC)
I got the same behaviour on my laptop, i7-4710MQ with GTX 880M. Lowering the details create a lot of stutter, but otherwise the game is very playable anywhere between 40 and 60 FPS using dynamic settings.

Just make sure to use the custom dynamic optimization preset and set the target to 60 FPS, this helped cure some of the weird frame pacing issues I had even before the patch and makes it run quite well. There's still some stutter here and there when there are too many AI cars drawn on screen but it's highly playable.

My laptop is on a good cooling stand and never hits thermal throttling so perhaps you could be in these situations. And double check that you're running the latest Nvidia driver and that it has the profile for Forza 6, otherwise no Optimus and you're screwed.
#17 Posted : Tuesday, May 24, 2016 8:03:40 AM(UTC)

I would try starting at low settings (1080P) and start turning things on one by one and experiment what visual VS performance suits you.
#18 Posted : Saturday, September 24, 2016 9:10:39 AM(UTC)
Whatever SLI setting I try I'm just getting flickering and black roads etc.
I'm furious about this..
I7, 970m SLI, 16GB ram.
Why did I pay for a product that isn't supported?

Somebody Sue these scum allready
#19 Posted : Thursday, November 23, 2017 9:09:13 AM(UTC)
This sounds weird and completely bass akwards but this is what worked for me with Forza 7. I have the same specs accept I have the 4G 980m. I'm getting 100+ FPS consistently so I don't see why you won't get around 60-70 FPS. Go to Nvidia control panel and find the Forza 7 executable and set "integrated Graphics" as default. Somehow my rig still uses the discreet graophics for the heavy lifting and it's the only way the game runs well for me. Hope this works for you as well!!

Notification

Icon
Error