This site uses cookies for analytics and personalized content. By continuing to browse this site, you agree to this use. Learn more
#51 Posted : Sunday, May 8, 2016 3:42:55 AM(UTC)
^^Yes this guy knows ^^ +1 likes

#52 Posted : Sunday, May 8, 2016 4:15:10 AM(UTC)
Yes, the problem with that is that overclocking increases chances of instability. I have two systems. One at stock and one overclocked just for testings.
But Microsoft are using this as a UWP showcase, and they don't want it looking bad, so they're removing as many issues as possible before they even start. That way they have less bugs to track down. Is it fair? Well, yes actually. This is a Microsoft product they are giving out for free right now, so there's no grounds to complain. What do you want, a refund? lol
The issue of locking it to specific hardware is probably that they only have so many combinations to test and this a limited beta to give them useful feedback. So they've focused on newer CPU's and GPU's to narrow the possible bugs that may appear. Secondly they want this game to look good, which means not having it run on older/less powerful hardware. They don't want people playing it on lower spec machines as it will be blocky, pixellated, smushy textures. So they simply decided to lock those machines out of playing it. Dev's have been doing this for years despite what you think. Many games in the past have had similar launch screens that refuse to let you run them. This is not a new thing. If you don't meet the system requirements, you don't get to play. It really is that simple. Yes it's not what you want to hear. but it is the facts.
Maybe with some work on the beta they'll be able to lower the system requirements, but you shouldn't hold your breath, and you shouldn't spam the forums with posts how it's not fair you can't run it etc etc.
It's just they way it is, either upgrade your PC to ensure you can run it, or buy an Xbox One and the full version of Forza 6. It's the only choices present to you at this juncture.
 2 users liked this post.
#53 Posted : Sunday, May 8, 2016 4:27:03 AM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: BBTD MitchyK7 Go to Quoted Post
Yes, the problem with that is that overclocking increases chances of instability. I have two systems. One at stock and one overclocked just for testings.
But Microsoft are using this as a UWP showcase, and they don't want it looking bad, so they're removing as many issues as possible before they even start. That way they have less bugs to track down. Is it fair? Well, yes actually. This is a Microsoft product they are giving out for free right now, so there's no grounds to complain. What do you want, a refund? lol
The issue of locking it to specific hardware is probably that they only have so many combinations to test and this a limited beta to give them useful feedback. So they've focused on newer CPU's and GPU's to narrow the possible bugs that may appear. Secondly they want this game to look good, which means not having it run on older/less powerful hardware. They don't want people playing it on lower spec machines as it will be blocky, pixellated, smushy textures. So they simply decided to lock those machines out of playing it. Dev's have been doing this for years despite what you think. Many games in the past have had similar launch screens that refuse to let you run them. This is not a new thing. If you don't meet the system requirements, you don't get to play. It really is that simple. Yes it's not what you want to hear. but it is the facts.
Maybe with some work on the beta they'll be able to lower the system requirements, but you shouldn't hold your breath, and you shouldn't spam the forums with posts how it's not fair you can't run it etc etc.
It's just they way it is, either upgrade your PC to ensure you can run it, or buy an Xbox One and the full version of Forza 6. It's the only choices present to you at this juncture.

There is a thing called constructive criticism you know and that is something that most devs especially appreciate during a beta period.
And what you are saying about it having to look good is simply completely wrong as well as there are people even with a GTX 740 that is able to play it at very low graphics and low frame rates.
A so called outdated CPU being overclocked will run rings around a modern system with such a low end GPU.
I also thought part of the point of beta was to actually get a better understanding how it runs on various hardware, so again it makes no sense to put such artificial limitations in the game.
The fact is that they dont know exactly what kind of hardware you need to get a decent experience from this game. Normally requirements are more guidelines than a enforced rule and in all the decades I have been a pc gamer I have not come across a single game that enforced such artificial limitations. The only times I was prevented from using a below minimum rig was if the GPU did not support the DX version of the game, which in those cases makes perfect sense.

And btw I have a rig that meets the required specifications, so I am not "whining" because i cannot run the game. This is a UWP problem and shows again that microsoft does not understand the PC platform and the culture around it and instead wants to dumb it down like consoles where they have all the control.
This system could even easily be abused to force you to buy new hardware every year even though it is not needed which for microsoft will mean more cash in their pockets since you would be forced to buy a new windows license as well. Don't be so naive that you think this is about protecting the customer.
#54 Posted : Sunday, May 8, 2016 4:47:07 AM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: BBTD MitchyK7 Go to Quoted Post

yes but they haven't locked out this CPU the game runs, its just doesn't load past the start screen. The game does not utilizes all cores <-- this is the problem. Does your CPU utilize all the cores when playing or just 2?

#55 Posted : Sunday, May 8, 2016 5:27:15 AM(UTC)
Could the CPU issue be something that's just carried over from the X1, Don't the xbox one version leave some CPU for the console UI and apps and such?
User is suspended until 1/13/2045 10:06:44 AM(UTC)
#56 Posted : Sunday, May 8, 2016 5:36:23 AM(UTC)
paging is normal it is far more efficient to swap pages to disk when they aren't needed then to keep them in ram all the time
paging its self is not the issue its the fact that its not handling it correctly e.g bad memory management practices

the Xbox one uses a single 8GB pool of ram for everything system/video/sound ect ect it is not like a full desktop or laptop in that aspect where on the desktop you have discrete pools of memory for system/gpu graphics
I don't have any severe stutter issues but I have SSD's in raid 0 with nearly 500MB/s read/write speeds so its probability mitigating the issue

Edited by user Sunday, May 8, 2016 1:52:49 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

//bacon\\
#57 Posted : Sunday, May 8, 2016 5:43:50 AM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: CallMeSpyx Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Vicc Damone Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: CallMeSpyx Go to Quoted Post
So I have a Pentium G3258 @4.5Ghz, which is a dual core, no amount of overclocking will change that. When I launch FM6: Apex, it tells me my PC is below minimum specs (only because of the CPU, a GTX 960 shouldn't have too much trouble with this game) and it lets me continue anyway, so I do. I'm lucky if I get past the start screen and loading the first race took ages, even though it's on an SSD. Not to mention that the game was dropping frames left and right.
Since this, I've discovered that FM6: Apex is ONLY USING 1 CPU CORE, pegging it at 100% while the other core doesn't seem to be noticed by the game. I've checked the programs affinity within Task Manager, it's allowed to use both cores. It seems to me that the game might just hate any CPU with less than 4 threads, that would probably require testing on more systems though. I'll report back after trying some things within the game such as targeting 30fps as opposed to 60fps (locking GTA 5 to 30fps makes it not stutter uncontrollably).
Hopefully this issue can be found and addressed, I like Forza 6 and am happy to see it on PC.

Sorry to say but your processor is your weakest link

I'm aware that my CPU is bottlenecking here, I have plans to get an i5 (just need monies for it). Besides, it seems odd that the game doesn't make use of all available threads, at least according to other posters here (not sure if it's deliberate, a bug or just a trait of UWP, which is unlikely). Addressing what I said about reporting back after changing settings, I kinda uninstalled the game for now but I might reinstall it.

I5 is not worth it. I thought it was because of the clock speed being almost the only difference on paper, but hyperthreading is a large plus for scaleability, much less chance of bottlenecking than a standard 4 core that I have come to realize with my 4690K, I may even plan on upgrading to an I7 skylake even after I just got this Mobo and CPU 3 months ago.
 1 user liked this post.
#58 Posted : Sunday, May 8, 2016 6:31:02 AM(UTC)
i think if can change some values on targethardwareprofile it might work
how can we get permisions in order to change some files?
#59 Posted : Sunday, May 8, 2016 8:51:59 AM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: OneMoar Go to Quoted Post
paging is normal it is far more efficient to swap pages to disk when they aren't needed then to keep them in ram all the time
paging its self is not the issue its the fact that its not handling it correctly e.g bad memory management practices

the Xbox one uses a single 8GB pool of ram for everything system/video/sound ect ect it is not like a full desktop or laptop in that aspect where on the desktop you have discrete pools of memory for system/gpu graphics
[Mod Edit - Abbreviated profanity, profanity and profanity that is disguised but still alludes to the words are not permitted - D]
I don't have any severe stutter issues but I have SSD's in raid 0 with nearly 500MB/s read/write speeds so its probability mitigating the issue

Running SSD's in RAID isn't going to make any difference at all because the CPU cannot keep up with it. You'd still have a bottleneck at the processor. If someones processor is already strained it is still going to be strained until they change said processor. RAID really doesn't help in game performance anyhow, maybe your load times but that's it.

Edited by user Sunday, May 8, 2016 8:54:40 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

#60 Posted : Sunday, May 8, 2016 9:21:59 AM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: BIG W0RM 80 Go to Quoted Post

[Mod Edit - Abbreviated profanity, profanity and profanity that is disguised but still alludes to the words are not permitted - D]

Running SSD's in RAID isn't going to make any difference at all because the CPU cannot keep up with it. You'd still have a bottleneck at the processor. If someones processor is already strained it is still going to be strained until they change said processor. RAID really doesn't help in game performance anyhow, maybe your load times but that's it.

But since the game is bugged and only uses half the available cores, then that CPU will probably be fine if they fix that issue.
And for the rest of us who have quad cores or better the real problem here is the disk activity/swapping causing the game to chug and in those cases faster disk access would help alot.
It has absolutely nothing to do with cpu bottlenecking if the game runs fine and then starts stuttering after a few races and that suggests there is serious issues with memory management or some serious memory leak somewhere.
On my system for example I saw a HUGE improvement from just using my actual physical ram as a ram disk to prevent windows from using my physical disk for virtual memory.
#61 Posted : Sunday, May 8, 2016 9:33:37 AM(UTC)
Yes, i did find out that too, and i did find it very odd.
One thing is not using the cores, other one is seeing core #0 and core #2 of my Phenom II X4 945 at full 100% bottlenecking the GPU, when i have there 2 extra cores that could be useful.
People could say whatever they want, but wasn't DX12 being a big leap in multithreading and multicore efficiency for the games?

I don't seem to find that efficiency when the game have an artificial limitation for half of the Speed.

Would love Turn10 to explain if this is a bug or a feature for something.
#62 Posted : Sunday, May 8, 2016 9:43:21 AM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: boxman4321 Go to Quoted Post

But since the game is bugged and only uses half the available cores, then that CPU will probably be fine if they fix that issue.
And for the rest of us who have quad cores or better the real problem here is the disk activity/swapping causing the game to chug and in those cases faster disk access would help alot.
It has absolutely nothing to do with cpu bottlenecking if the game runs fine and then starts stuttering after a few races and that suggests there is serious issues with memory management or some serious memory leak somewhere.
On my system for example I saw a HUGE improvement from just using my actual physical ram as a ram disk to prevent windows from using my physical disk for virtual memory.

It obviously has a memory leak, my comment to him was to deal with the OP who does have a CPU bottleneck regardless. Memory leaks seem to be a reoccurring issue with Forza games.
#63 Posted : Sunday, May 8, 2016 10:19:01 AM(UTC)
But since it run fine from a cpu standpoint on a quad core i5 using only two cores, then it might run fine on that overclocked dual core as well if they ever fix the core usage.
#64 Posted : Sunday, May 8, 2016 11:41:54 AM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: DjAde13GR Go to Quoted Post

yes I was thinking this too!! how do we get to write in it??

#65 Posted : Sunday, May 8, 2016 1:59:11 PM(UTC)

the g3258 is more than capable of running this if the threading issues get resolved
the G3258 is a haswell based dual core with 3MB of l3 and a unlocked multi they are routinely capable of over 4.5Ghz and are very quick for 35 bucks
more then capable of playing this game if it utilizes both cores

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/im4FS"><a href="//imgur.com/a/im4FS">View post on imgur.com</a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

http://imgur.com/a/im4FS
//bacon\\
#66 Posted : Sunday, May 8, 2016 4:35:43 PM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: FluidicPurse486 Go to Quoted Post

yes I was thinking this too!! how do we get to write in it??

You need to take ownership of the folder.
Edit the file and save a copy to somewhere else, then replace the original.

Make sure to revert ownership back to TrustedInstaller when finished.

Do so at your own risk.

Talking to brick walls since 2007.
Motivational Poster. Praise Dragnet
#67 Posted : Sunday, May 8, 2016 5:16:22 PM(UTC)

the g3258 is more than capable of running this if the threading issues get resolved
the G3258 is a haswell based dual core with 3MB of l3 and a unlocked multi they are routinely capable of over 4.5Ghz and are very quick for 35 bucks
more then capable of playing this game if it utilizes both cores

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/im4FS"><a href="//imgur.com/a/im4FS">View post on imgur.com</a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

http://imgur.com/a/im4FS

CLICK ME 30fps better in DX11 than DX12 with your CPU on Hitman w/same GPU.

Goodbye.
#68 Posted : Sunday, May 8, 2016 7:14:42 PM(UTC)

Edited by user Sunday, May 8, 2016 10:46:47 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

#69 Posted : Sunday, May 8, 2016 9:21:29 PM(UTC)

Edited by user Sunday, May 8, 2016 10:45:31 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

#70 Posted : Monday, May 9, 2016 2:03:04 AM(UTC)

[/quote]

You need to take ownership of the folder.
Edit the file and save a copy to somewhere else, then replace the original.

Make sure to revert ownership back to TrustedInstaller when finished.

Do so at your own risk.

[/quote]
Did you try it yourself?
because i did and even then i couldn't make any changes
#71 Posted : Monday, May 9, 2016 3:41:16 AM(UTC)
Ok, for people interested in some facts and not the hyperbole being thrown around currently.
I've spent the morning running some tests on Forza 6:Apex, and these are the "FACTS" i've uncovered.
During the menu and even races two cores on my Skylake i5 6600K are indeed getting hammered, but not to 100%, it's between 90-100%, but and here's the important part, the other two cores then run between 10% and 60% each depending on if it's a solo race, or a full grid. I assume two cores run the main physics engine, and the others are responsible for drivatars etc. Which means the quad core minimum is indeed a correct assesment.
Secondly it runs my CPU up to temperatures i've not seen the CPU go anywhere near. 69'c is very high for this build but there are still optimisations to be gained hopefully. Older chips will probably not be able to run reliably without have to thermal throttle as well as missing vital command extensions.
You can all stop saying it should run on a crappy old dual core now. You won't, but you should.
On the GPU card side of things I ran it on a GTX 970. With all settings on ultra/max it only used about 56% of the GPU's processing power and 81% of the 4GB of VRAM. The GFX card was hardly breaking a sweat and it ran at 56'c. Nothing for this card.
The game is clearly very CPU dependant, and with PC CPU's running at speeds of 2 or 3 times faster per core, those two maxed out cores are equivalent to half the Xbox Ones CPU cores. With the other half for running Drivatar processes etc. That would seem to fit.
Basically they have ported across to PC and just gone from 8 slow cores to 4 fast ones. But the main game engine is capable of running on the two cores. Hence them getting hammered. But the other cores do come in for extra cars, weather etc. So dual core might, MIGHT let you run around a track on your own, the other cores are needed for all the other stuff. That seems to be how they load balanced the cores. It's not perfect as one half of the CPU is cooking itself running hard and the other half is sitting around waiting for it's command queue to fill up. But the game runs very well so it's working.
Speaking of the game running, the weather effects on PC are even better, water everywhere, sounds of water splashing seem to be more pronounced, as do other environment sounds. Still bit of an issue with other vehicle sounds. Oh i'm running Apex on a brand new SSD which was installed just before I finally got the game downloading which may prevent any stuttering issues people have reported. It feels so fluid on PC using the Forza LE Xbox One controller means no change in control, but it "feels" tighter, more responsive.
Maybe some other could do their own testing and chip in with results. The more info we give the better they'll be able to get it running smoothly for the most possible people.
#72 Posted : Monday, May 9, 2016 5:19:00 AM(UTC)
the xbox one is a quad core not a oct-core (yes it says is a oct-core on the box but from a programming and performance stand point its a quad and not a particularly good one)
and AMD makes up for that with a very high clock speed something the xbox doesn't have ....

with amds chips the cores share the init/fp scheduler as well a as single fetch/decode block
this is basically what amounts of hyper-threading in terms of SMT performance
which leads to issues where you can have less performance by loading up all 8 threads, so traditionally you need to be careful of how you allocate stuff you need to make sure that intensive stuff runs on x cores while the lower priority stuff is relegated to the 'free' cores that can share resources without running into a race condition
//bacon\\
 1 user liked this post.
#73 Posted : Tuesday, May 10, 2016 2:39:33 AM(UTC)
for those who are saying its a heavy game and tha a pentium is not enough
here is a proof of how bad optized this game is!

here is a proof
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zo85f8F3EkU

after that i was able too run the game on lowsest setting without opponents with G3258 on 1 CORE and gpu using ONLY 20%
just imagine if they optimized it right! (i know its a beta)

DX12 games its supposed to decrease cpu usage not increase it!
 1 user liked this post.
#74 Posted : Tuesday, May 10, 2016 8:17:29 AM(UTC)

here is a proof

after that i was able too run the game on lowsest setting without opponents with G3258 on 1 CORE and gpu using ONLY 20%

at least there is somebody else in this thread with a brain
cheers also process hacker ftw personally I use procmon as I find processhacker a bit overkill for day to day
//bacon\\
#75 Posted : Tuesday, May 10, 2016 12:48:42 PM(UTC)

here is a proof

Dx12 is supposed to improve the drawcall distribution between cores. i see with MSI afterburner that my gpu utilization dips while some of the cores are sitting at around 60%, ussually 2 or 3 cores of my fx-6300. meanwhile i run BF4 on 1080p ultra , Mantle (similar to dx12) and have nearly pegged at 100% gpu ussage and about 80-90% ussage on every core. Frostbite and Dice have figured it out better it seems.
5 Pages12345PrevNext

Notification

Icon
Error