This site uses cookies for analytics and personalized content. By continuing to browse this site, you agree to this use. Learn more
5 Pages1234>>PrevNext
 1 user liked this post.
#26 Posted : Monday, February 22, 2016 11:00:12 AM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: JoePro58 Go to Quoted Post
This is good stuff ERS JOHNSON. I tried the lobby for the first time last week and I was really disappointed on how much carnage there was. I tried it again last night and I actually had a decent time as long as I tried to avoid all of the mess and run my own race. It's tough when I tried to hold a line and get rear ended and forced off of the track because someone came up to fast from a draft and didn't pass, or if I slowed down when approaching a curve and they just flat out ran into me as I was approaching the curve. I also was amazed on how many drivers just flat out ran others off of the track.

I really enjoy to try to run a clean race. To me that is what "fun" is all about.

I completely agree Joe. It can be very frustrating in the hoppers some nights but others it can be a blast. Just do your best trying to keep it clean and possibly make an effort to reach out and communicate with other clean racers. Build your friends list out of clean racers and the lobbies clean up really fast.
 1 user liked this post.
#27 Posted : Monday, February 22, 2016 10:07:05 PM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: ERS JOHNSON Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: o Mike V o Go to Quoted Post
Nice write up, now if only something like that was in the game for people to see.

That would make a huge difference. If something like that was possible I would suggest somebody else write it since im not the best writer lol.

I beg to differ, I think your post should be FM7's cover art. I was nodding "yes" with every point.

"Precision, finesse, and handling will ALWAYS be defeated by shouting, smoking, and POWER."

-Jeremy Clarkson, explaining how an AMG Merc beat a Maserati on TG track.

I ONLY TUNE GUITARS
#28 Posted : Monday, February 22, 2016 10:15:03 PM(UTC)
This should all be common scene to anyone that played a forza game in the past
Need to add Choosing the right car for the track, not a Gurkha for Rio unless you want to annoy a whole lobby
#29 Posted : Monday, February 22, 2016 11:20:02 PM(UTC)
This is a great article and I think T10 could expand upon this in the actual game. As someone who plays single player more then multiplayer I am less frustrated by the situation. But when I do, I understand the annoyance of wreakers. That being said T10 should try and emphasize clean racing by rewarding such behavior. Maybe, impliment mods that payout for placing in any given spot, not just podiums. Where players can make just as much xp/money for clean racing. Their needs to be incentive other then finishing first, and how each racer can contribute to the experience.

I hold Forza near and dear to my heart, and would hope those who play try and make the experience great for everyone. To keep this franchise alive and well.

Edited by user Monday, February 22, 2016 11:21:08 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

1 user liked this post.
#30 Posted : Tuesday, February 23, 2016 8:46:09 AM(UTC)
With all the negativity that can come out of a forza experience I thought I would give out my 2 cents on how I try to make my experience as fun and exciting as possible. This is not an end all be all list but it is a list I race by. I hope by reading this it will help some new or even seasoned racers out there improve their experience. The hoppers are not the reason its hard to drive in there. Its the community. As a community we need to improve ourselves as a whole and our experience will improve over time.

1. Be patient. You don't have to be the first person to the corner or the first person on the gas. Know the limits of yourself and your car.

2. If there are some cars in front of you all fighting for position don’t try and force your way thru. The people in front of you are trying to pass just like you are. Take part in the fight but keep it clean and enjoy the challenge. That also means not diving into the corner to take someone's line in front of you.

3. While passing it is your job to do it cleanly. If you can’t make it clean don’t do it. Sometimes it’s just not possible to make a pass so just wait it out. While making a pass stay in your lane, if you pinch somebody down expect to get hit because the bottom guy needs his room as well. Don’t get mad at him because it’s your fault for not giving him room. Sometimes waiting to make a pass can turn bad if the guys catching you don’t try to pass cleanly either. (See number 2).

4. While being passed it’s your job to hold your line. What do I mean by hold your line you ask? It’s quite simple. Be predictable and stay in your allocated spot. Don’t go out of your way to obstruct others. I can’t tell you how many people I have seen try to block over aggressively and end up in the grass. So while holding your line that also doesn’t mean apex like normal because that’s “your line”. When an apex is done correctly you usually take up at least 2 lines, the outside line, and then the inside line. So while being passed if you're on the inside line stay there thru the entire corner not just the beginning. If you have to let off the gas a little bit on exit to keep from running into the guy on the outside then do so.

5. Drafting can be very useful if done correctly. While drafting cars go faster (due to science lol) to make it useful, it must be done correctly. First if you can’t communicate with the other driver don’t even try it. Usually when done with no mics the driver getting pushed slams on his brakes in fear of being wrecked by the pusher. So if there is communication push away.
Simple rules to follow: Don’t try to push somebody if you’re gaining ground too fast on their bumper or you will just wreck them and possibly yourself. Don’t push to close to a braking zone. While doing a successful draft make sure to back off near the end of the straight away so you both can brake successfully.

6. Braking is incredibly handy and the button for it is the trigger on the left side of your controller. Brake hard at the beginning of the braking section and ease up as you get closer to making the turn. A perfect brake should end with almost a sigh of relief. It is a deadly game of cat and mouse. It is on the line of out of control and very fast. If you are having to hit the gas to get to the corner you have over broke, so next time drive the car in a little farther, and try again. If you have slid past the turn and end up in the sand I would recommend braking a little earlier and harder but that’s up to you.

7. Acceleration. Everybody knows where this button is so I won’t touch on that. Having 800 hp does nothing if it takes you an extra second to put the power down. Where do drag cars make or break the run? At the launch, so think of every corner exit as a “the launch” and get the power down as quickly as possible either thru tuning, thru the build, or thru practice with throttle control. Don’t use the excuse it has too much power, if it’s broke fix it!!! Don't choose a 900HP rig for Lime Rock... You're going to have a bad time.

8. Practice, practice, practice. I promise you will get faster the more you practice. I don’t just mean driving around by yourself, get out on the track with other drivatars in career mode and race. Try not to hit other cars around you. Figure out how to brake and accelerate in traffic. Learn how to hold your line while making a pass. If getting passed, then again hold your line. The better you get around other cars the faster you become. You won't wake up one day, grab a controller and be the best. It takes months of dedication, critical thought and teamwork. You need time to "grow". So once you can get over the fact it'll take months, possibly even years, you'll start to see results. Make friends; try tunes that aren't yours and most importantly - ASK QUESTIONS!!
Cutting the track for a faster lap doesn’t improve you as a racer. If anything it makes you cheapen yourself up by not doing the track correctly. If the game gives you the dirty lap triangle you’re doing it wrong. Also on that note there are places that should be dirty that aren’t. Try your best to stay out of those areas as well. All in all stay between the white lines at all time if possible.

9. Understand the situation of your surroundings. This is so very important to having a nice racing experience. Understand the racing situation that you are in and think ahead on what’s going to happen. I think a lot of this is about "situational awareness", or being aware of a situation before it even arises. Like - having a grip car on Road America.. You know for a fact that many, many cars will catch you down in Turn 3 at the bottom of the hill. So choose a line and be in it by the time they catch you, let them find their way around you.
Examples:
Don’t overtake in areas where the outcome is most likely a wreck. Don’t put yourself in a situation that will most likely end up in a pile up. Slow down a bit and you will most likely get thru while everybody else wrecks for being impatient.
If there is a wrecker in the lobby be looking behind you to move out of the way of his speeding bullet. (VOTE TO KICK).
Understand not everybody is on your skill level. Some drivers are new to the game or maybe just the class.
Understand not everybody’s car is built like yours. There are millions of building options in this game so some cars may need to get on the brakes sooner than you. Be aware of this and if you are right behind a car that brakes early give the car some space so you don’t run into the back of it.
Understand the track! If it’s a grip track drive a grip car. I know its fun to challenge yourself and drive a non grip car there but this just causes accidents. 10 grip cars trying to get around a non grip car is a recipe for disaster. **Situational awareness**

10. Accidents are a part of life on and off the track. If you cause it slow down and let those affected pass, even if it means going to last place. If you were wrecked just LET IT GO and continue your race.
If there is a wrecker vote to kick them after the 1st race. If the 2nd race is the same save the replay and go to forzamotorsport.net. Send Snowowl a private message on there with the following info:
What forza game it is, Name of the wrecker(s), Name of the track, Detailed description of what took place during the race, name of the file (examples ooooo,eeeee,11111) Please make sure to watch the video before sending it to snowowl to make sure the wrecks were intentional. Be aggressive with this, take 15 min at the end of your racing day to watch the videos you have saved of wreckers and share them. The more the community cracks down on this the quicker we will clean this place up. I have sent hundreds of videos to Snowowl so just think if we all took the time to do it. 1 person can make a difference! If you are a wrecker/griefer your time is coming :)

If you have made it this far, thank you for taking the time to read thru my “10 commandments”. There will always be more to add to this to this list but if you implement these 10 points into your online racing experience I promise you will improve and you will have a much better experience.

I want to give a big thanks to ERS PROPHETIK for helping me make this list.

Thanks everybody and I will see you on the track and as always keep it clean and keep it fast!

ERS JOHNSON

P.S. Feel free to share this with friends and other social media outlets.

All great points, I only wish that EVERYONE follow these points that you so eloquently wrote. Unfortunately that's not the case. T10 should paste this post to the Forza Hub, and call it "A Racer's Bible" or something...we need this out there!

#31 Posted : Wednesday, February 24, 2016 12:24:14 PM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: Mr Tabb Go to Quoted Post
[

All great points, I only wish that EVERYONE follow these points that you so eloquently wrote. Unfortunately that's not the case. T10 should paste this post to the Forza Hub, and call it "A Racer's Bible" or something...we need this out there!

I would be honored if that happened. Im just glad that its getting a good following and maybe something will pop up in the future
 2 users liked this post.
#32 Posted : Wednesday, February 24, 2016 1:45:17 PM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: Zedeeyen Go to Quoted Post
Nicely put, and I'm glad I'm not the only one bombarding Snowowl with replays :)

Absolutely not... I usually save up 5 videos or so before I send them to him. I wish I had a counter of all the wreckers that have gone on a 1 week vacation because of the videos I recorded lol.

This is a good idea I didn't know if the replays had to be within a certain time period or not, but on another note Snowowl is one that really needs props for doing this on his free time and without getting paid if I am not mistaken.
So Thank You Snowowl for helping clean up the hoppers one wrecker at a time.

#33 Posted : Wednesday, February 24, 2016 2:59:03 PM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: DAT Wagonator Go to Quoted Post
Nicely put, and I'm glad I'm not the only one bombarding Snowowl with replays :)

Absolutely not... I usually save up 5 videos or so before I send them to him. I wish I had a counter of all the wreckers that have gone on a 1 week vacation because of the videos I recorded lol.

This is a good idea I didn't know if the replays had to be within a certain time period or not, but on another note Snowowl is one that really needs props for doing this on his free time and without getting paid if I am not mistaken.
So Thank You Snowowl for helping clean up the hoppers one wrecker at a time.

Snowowl does deserve mad props. He has been helping so many people out with these issues. I usually make sure my replays that I have saved up are within a week old
#34 Posted : Friday, February 26, 2016 8:33:57 AM(UTC)
Racers should respect when the person racing ahead has the racing line and don't bump the guy out of the way to get by - just go around for crying out loud!!!!
" If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari. "
- Gilles Villeneuve

#35 Posted : Friday, February 26, 2016 7:09:08 PM(UTC)
Those are some very good rules to race by. I have no problem with a little rubbing when beside one another if neither is trying to wreck one another....makes for awesome racing when done right.

There are two big problems I see....

1. Slow racers with no respect for fast racers that are clearly out classing them.
2. Fast racers with no patience for slower racers.

Slow racers need to pay attention to cars in the rear view and let the faster traffic go. If someone pulls up on you, sticks to your bumper like glue, giving you a light tap every now and again, then pull over during the next straight, get off the gas and let them go. You are asking to get moved by just holding someone up who is clearly faster.

Fast racers need to have a little patience with slower cars. Give them time to move. Lightly tap the back bumper without getting them out of shape. I'm not the fastest by any means, but I'm certainly not slow either. I can't count how many times I've had a fast racer pull up on me mid corner and just boot me out of the way not even giving me a chance to move....that is asking for a crash next corner if they can get back to you.

Mutual respect can go a long way in having a good racing experience.

Edited by user Friday, February 26, 2016 7:10:29 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

1 user liked this post.
#36 Posted : Saturday, February 27, 2016 2:48:54 AM(UTC)
Top Tip:

If you're in a lobby and there is a group of drivers who are much faster than everyone else then keep this in mind:

They aren't racing you, they are racing each other. You are just an obstacle.

In this case the skills gap is akin to the performance gap in mixed-spec races, like endurance races where LM cars share the track with GT cars. Managing to block one of them down in 11th place for several laps (because they're too clean to push you out of the way) by swerving all over the place achieves nothing except to ruin their race. It doesn't make you a hero and it doesn't earn you respect, it makes you a troll and earns you scorn.

Much faster guys are real easy to spot - they're the ones who take two seconds out of you in half a lap to close up behind you even though you were going flat-out, and who finished the previous race with a lap time 4 seconds better than yours.

And also remember that "fast" and "slow" are relative. You can win five races in a row and be "fast" in that lobby and then a couple of new guys join and now you're second-division. Adjust your racing accordingly.

Edited by user Saturday, February 27, 2016 2:50:16 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

5 users liked this post.
#37 Posted : Saturday, February 27, 2016 4:20:04 AM(UTC)
It's also worth stressing that none of the "rules" in this thread should be seen as appeals to people's better nature or sense of altruism or fair play, and they shouldn't be seen as "making the game better for everyone". These rules are an appeal to your own self-interest and will make the game better for you.

Even you, Johnny Selfish at the back there, will have more fun if you follow them.

And here's why:

Let's say I'm passing you up the inside in a breaking zone. You have 2 options; concede gracefully or turn into me.

Option 1)
You concede the place. You lose 1 place (so what) and maybe a couple of 10ths (so what). At the same time you gain a bit of my respect and make it more likely that I'll treat you with the same, so next time you catch me I'll be more accommodating when you put a move on me, and the next time I catch you I'll be as clean as possible. If I then scuttle off into the distance then hey ho, we're just at different skill levels or I had a more suitable car. On the other hand if you keep up and make a move back on me then, bingo, we have a race on! And those close, clean races are what Forza is all about. At the end of the race I send you a "good race" message and we add each other as friends. Next time we're looking to throw out invites to a private lobby you may get one, and then you'll be racing with a whole bunch of clean, fast racers.

Option 2)
You crash into me. At best I lose out a lot and you slow down a little. At worst you crash out and I don't. Most likely we both crash and we both lose several places. And now I think you're an idiot. Next time I catch you I'll be a bit less polite and next time you catch me there's no way you're going by. And for what? To hold on to 8th place on lap 2 of a meaningless public hopper round?

But here's the real kicker; I'm not playing by myself. Seven of the other guys in the lobby are in a party chat with me. So whichever option you take, the effects will be multiplied. Choose 1) and that's eight people who think more highly of you. Choose 2) and that's 8 people who think you're a moron, certainly for the remainder of the session and quite possibly beyond that.

Basically it's always in your own interests to behave reasonably.

Edited by user Saturday, February 27, 2016 4:23:41 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

#38 Posted : Tuesday, March 1, 2016 4:03:37 AM(UTC)
This is an excellent post and many people can use the "Rules of Engagement" for their benefit as well as the benefit of those other racers they share the track with. To add to that, there are many resources on the Web that can really help people with their racecraft. Safe is Fast is an excellent channel on YouTube used to highlight good racing techniques and strategies. Race etiquette is a major topic discussed in several videos. Most of the videos I have seen are narrated by professional drivers. I highly recommend this to everyone.
#39 Posted : Tuesday, March 1, 2016 5:15:26 AM(UTC)
It's also worth stressing that none of the "rules" in this thread should be seen as appeals to people's better nature or sense of altruism or fair play, and they shouldn't be seen as "making the game better for everyone". These rules are an appeal to your own self-interest and will make the game better for you.

Even you, Johnny Selfish at the back there, will have more fun if you follow them.

And here's why:

Let's say I'm passing you up the inside in a breaking zone. You have 2 options; concede gracefully or turn into me.

Option 1)
You concede the place. You lose 1 place (so what) and maybe a couple of 10ths (so what). At the same time you gain a bit of my respect and make it more likely that I'll treat you with the same, so next time you catch me I'll be more accommodating when you put a move on me, and the next time I catch you I'll be as clean as possible. If I then scuttle off into the distance then hey ho, we're just at different skill levels or I had a more suitable car. On the other hand if you keep up and make a move back on me then, bingo, we have a race on! And those close, clean races are what Forza is all about. At the end of the race I send you a "good race" message and we add each other as friends. Next time we're looking to throw out invites to a private lobby you may get one, and then you'll be racing with a whole bunch of clean, fast racers.

Option 2)
You crash into me. At best I lose out a lot and you slow down a little. At worst you crash out and I don't. Most likely we both crash and we both lose several places. And now I think you're an idiot. Next time I catch you I'll be a bit less polite and next time you catch me there's no way you're going by. And for what? To hold on to 8th place on lap 2 of a meaningless public hopper round?

But here's the real kicker; I'm not playing by myself. Seven of the other guys in the lobby are in a party chat with me. So whichever option you take, the effects will be multiplied. Choose 1) and that's eight people who think more highly of you. Choose 2) and that's 8 people who think you're a moron, certainly for the remainder of the session and quite possibly beyond that.

I agree with point number 2 here, if you are faster you should be patient. Maybe sometime spent behind somebody slower, but who holds a good line will teach you something about racing, so the next time your stuck behind one of your 8 friends you might have a bit more composure when trying to pass them, you might have a new trick to use to pass them. There should be no swerving on straights or intentional moves made to push someone off the track limits. But if I'm in a full contact league or hopper and I'm racing you for position I'm not pulling over to the side of the road just because you can lap that particular track in that particular car a second quicker than I can. And the opposite will work, when I'm behind you on the next race and I'm trying to get 8th place from you I wouldn't expect you to make it easy for me to pass.
If I wanted to prove I was faster than you over a lap I would play a ghost league or spend more time in rivals. I play forza to race, and this game provides a great online platform to do just that.

This post is great for someone to read, I'm glad it's a sticky now.
#40 Posted : Wednesday, March 2, 2016 5:12:11 AM(UTC)
I've never really played any forza game online a whole lot. Glad this blog exists. I watched enough videos of iRacing races to have learned a thing or two about being aware of other racers and how to handle going 2-wide into a turn. I'm still a long way off from fully grasping some of the points on this list. Most notably some of the concepts around 'grip' cars/tracks. I have to poke aroound a bit more I'm sure but thanks for the great OP.
 1 user liked this post.
#41 Posted : Tuesday, March 8, 2016 1:55:33 PM(UTC)

100% agree with this!

I would also like to add a few of my own tips/tricks based on my experience in Forza.

1) The Race Lobby/The Starting Grid: Everybody wants to get a good clean launch, so do your best to recognize what types of vehicles are around you. Have a good car selected before the 15second timer starts so you can have a quick look at other drivers stats. The Public lobbies are now, for the most part, ( sometimes it puts new people in the lobby in top spots, sometimes it doesn't) put in grid order based on LAP TIMES, with clean laps ALWAYS placed ahead of dirty laps. This can be both a blessing or a disaster. E.x. Lets say you and 2 other racers all ran within a half second of each other, you had the fastest lap, but you all ran DIRTY from drafting. the guy in 8th ran 2 seconds slower than you in his Low Handling FWD, but he had a clean lap. Now at the beginning of the next race you know to watch out for the FWD car based on the previous races lap times. Just keep in mind, There will always be someone accelerating faster than you, and someone not accelerating as fast as you. if there are four cars wide on the launch and you have a faster car, but there is no room to pass, you HAVE to check up and be patient.

2) Braking: Whether using ABS or not, the key to getting the most from your stopping power is to maintain grip and stability. Typically, you want to do all or most of your braking in a straight line, and Like ERS Johnson has said, try to brake Hard at the beginning of the braking zone, and gradually ease off the brakes and onto the throttle into the corner. Keep in mind, if you're at the back of a line of cars you will have to brake Earlier than normal. E.x. In B-Class on Watkins Glen, The first Corner Braking marker is typically the 300 Marker on a running lap. So if you're 20 ft off the guy in 2nd place, and the guy in first is braking at the 300, you'll likely want to be slowing down closer to the 400 marker. It's always better to brake early, but the challenge is to not become unpredictable to other drivers around you.
My braking technique is more in tune with "left foot braking". When I come into a braking zone I get hard on the brakes, Downshift hard, and maintain a bit of throttle to maintain stability. If I come into the first corner on Daytona infield and I have hit the brakes Too Early, I'll jump back on the throttle but still maintain some braking pressure, so I don't end up overshooting.
The Handbrake: Do not, I repeat, Do not be afraid to use the handbrake! E.X. You're coming around the last corner on Watkins in a Full handling RWD car and you begin to Understeer towards the wall. Give the slightest Tap Tappidy Tap on your E-brake to kick the back end around. If you're in a FWD car understeering Towards the wall, Maintain Throttle, and tap the Brakes! Take time to practice different braking techniques! Also try different brake Bias and pressure settings, but don't get too crazy. My GO TO Braking Setup is 48% Bias and 125% pressure, However, more recently I've been trying 48% bias with an 85% pressure. play with the numbers, watch the telemetry, see what feels good.

3) Racing in Traffic/Fall in Line!: Think About Prague Short Reverse. Giant sweeping right hand corner, Room for 200 cars to line up side by side mid corner, but the Exit has MAYBE room for 4-5 car widths. So if you're on the inside of this corner in traffic, it's up to you to maintain that line, which means slowing down to a near crawl to make what almost becomes a 90Degree corner on the inside line. If on the outside, its up to you to stay out there and not cut in on any one. When Braking in tight Groups,

When you're racing side by side with people who know what they're doing, it can be some of the best racing ever, but even the pros know when to Fall In Line! Prague is a prime example where there are sections where its better to Fall in Line than run two wide. The chicanes on the reverse track are the best example. Say you come up to that corner tight on the inside in 1st place, and 2nd place is right next to you, accelerating faster, on a better line than you, it would be in yours and his best interest for You to ease off and fall behind his car.

4) Awareness: Lastly, Probably most important, aside from knowing how to drive your car, is awareness. Awareness covers everything from knowing what you and your car can do, to knowing what your opponent and his car can do!
My motto, perhaps a bit farfetched, has always been " Drive your car, and the cars around you!"

What I mean by that is the ability to predict other drivers. Having a keen sense of what other drivers around you are doing can help you navigate through traffic much easier.
I'll use a short example on this because I think it's something that comes more from an online racing experience more than anything else. E.X. Nurburgring IN THE RAIN
Any rain Track is near impossible to predict what anyone will do, it can be pure chaos. Let's say however, that you are in 2nd place and you have made it to the uphill straight on the back section of the track. There's a puddle that 95% of players hit, its on the right hand side and it forces you to keep a tight line into the left corner. We Already KNOW that first place is going to hit this puddle, we can sense it before it happens. just having that Keen sense can help you avoid that driver when they bounce off the wall and come 90Degrees back on track!

I hope my thoughts are not too jumbled! Thanks for making this thread ERS Johnson. This should be turned into a short quiz and required to get 10/10 to play online! Or at least be shared on social mediaz, and Week in review/ Heavy metal!
#42 Posted : Tuesday, March 8, 2016 3:17:22 PM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: LunaticLevi Go to Quoted Post

100% agree with this!

I would also like to add a few of my own tips/tricks based on my experience in Forza.

1) The Race Lobby/The Starting Grid: Everybody wants to get a good clean launch, so do your best to recognize what types of vehicles are around you. Have a good car selected before the 15second timer starts so you can have a quick look at other drivers stats. The Public lobbies are now, for the most part, ( sometimes it puts new people in the lobby in top spots, sometimes it doesn't) put in grid order based on LAP TIMES, with clean laps ALWAYS placed ahead of dirty laps. This can be both a blessing or a disaster. E.x. Lets say you and 2 other racers all ran within a half second of each other, you had the fastest lap, but you all ran DIRTY from drafting. the guy in 8th ran 2 seconds slower than you in his Low Handling FWD, but he had a clean lap. Now at the beginning of the next race you know to watch out for the FWD car based on the previous races lap times. Just keep in mind, There will always be someone accelerating faster than you, and someone not accelerating as fast as you. if there are four cars wide on the launch and you have a faster car, but there is no room to pass, you HAVE to check up and be patient.

2) Braking: Whether using ABS or not, the key to getting the most from your stopping power is to maintain grip and stability. Typically, you want to do all or most of your braking in a straight line, and Like ERS Johnson has said, try to brake Hard at the beginning of the braking zone, and gradually ease off the brakes and onto the throttle into the corner. Keep in mind, if you're at the back of a line of cars you will have to brake Earlier than normal. E.x. In B-Class on Watkins Glen, The first Corner Braking marker is typically the 300 Marker on a running lap. So if you're 20 ft off the guy in 2nd place, and the guy in first is braking at the 300, you'll likely want to be slowing down closer to the 400 marker. It's always better to brake early, but the challenge is to not become unpredictable to other drivers around you.
My braking technique is more in tune with "left foot braking". When I come into a braking zone I get hard on the brakes, Downshift hard, and maintain a bit of throttle to maintain stability. If I come into the first corner on Daytona infield and I have hit the brakes Too Early, I'll jump back on the throttle but still maintain some braking pressure, so I don't end up overshooting.
The Handbrake: Do not, I repeat, Do not be afraid to use the handbrake! E.X. You're coming around the last corner on Watkins in a Full handling RWD car and you begin to Understeer towards the wall. Give the slightest Tap Tappidy Tap on your E-brake to kick the back end around. If you're in a FWD car understeering Towards the wall, Maintain Throttle, and tap the Brakes! Take time to practice different braking techniques! Also try different brake Bias and pressure settings, but don't get too crazy. My GO TO Braking Setup is 48% Bias and 125% pressure, However, more recently I've been trying 48% bias with an 85% pressure. play with the numbers, watch the telemetry, see what feels good.

3) Racing in Traffic/Fall in Line!: Think About Prague Short Reverse. Giant sweeping right hand corner, Room for 200 cars to line up side by side mid corner, but the Exit has MAYBE room for 4-5 car widths. So if you're on the inside of this corner in traffic, it's up to you to maintain that line, which means slowing down to a near crawl to make what almost becomes a 90Degree corner on the inside line. If on the outside, its up to you to stay out there and not cut in on any one. When Braking in tight Groups,

When you're racing side by side with people who know what they're doing, it can be some of the best racing ever, but even the pros know when to Fall In Line! Prague is a prime example where there are sections where its better to Fall in Line than run two wide. The chicanes on the reverse track are the best example. Say you come up to that corner tight on the inside in 1st place, and 2nd place is right next to you, accelerating faster, on a better line than you, it would be in yours and his best interest for You to ease off and fall behind his car.

4) Awareness: Lastly, Probably most important, aside from knowing how to drive your car, is awareness. Awareness covers everything from knowing what you and your car can do, to knowing what your opponent and his car can do!
My motto, perhaps a bit farfetched, has always been " Drive your car, and the cars around you!"

What I mean by that is the ability to predict other drivers. Having a keen sense of what other drivers around you are doing can help you navigate through traffic much easier.
I'll use a short example on this because I think it's something that comes more from an online racing experience more than anything else. E.X. Nurburgring IN THE RAIN
Any rain Track is near impossible to predict what anyone will do, it can be pure chaos. Let's say however, that you are in 2nd place and you have made it to the uphill straight on the back section of the track. There's a puddle that 95% of players hit, its on the right hand side and it forces you to keep a tight line into the left corner. We Already KNOW that first place is going to hit this puddle, we can sense it before it happens. just having that Keen sense can help you avoid that driver when they bounce off the wall and come 90Degrees back on track!

I hope my thoughts are not too jumbled! Thanks for making this thread ERS Johnson. This should be turned into a short quiz and required to get 10/10 to play online! Or at least be shared on social mediaz, and Week in review/ Heavy metal!

These are great actually Levi. I didn't want to put to many examples in my OP but you nailed it with the few examples that you used. Just because there is room doesn't mean there is room. Sometimes if not most of the times its better to back off then to force your hand. I cant tell you how many times on prague I have been destroyed on that tight corner leading to the chicanes because people don't know how to hold their line. If I could somehow get every forza player to at least read this thread I would be much happier. For now we will keep adding to this and its almost up to 2000 views so hopefully out of those 2000 some have taken what we have written to heart. Maybe everybody that gets banned for wrecking can read this thread to better understand how to race if they are unsure lol.

Again thanks for the input and great advice. Everybody keep it coming!!!
#43 Posted : Tuesday, March 8, 2016 3:27:28 PM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: Hydranockz Go to Quoted Post
I've never really played any forza game online a whole lot. Glad this blog exists. I watched enough videos of iRacing races to have learned a thing or two about being aware of other racers and how to handle going 2-wide into a turn. I'm still a long way off from fully grasping some of the points on this list. Most notably some of the concepts around 'grip' cars/tracks. I have to poke aroound a bit more I'm sure but thanks for the great OP.

Being able to admit you need work is awesome. It means you have plenty of room to improve and that your at least trying to race correctly which is what myself and most on this forum care about. Accidents happen they always will but if its on accident im sure you learned something and next time will do it differently to avoid the accident from happening.

When trying to grasp grip and speed tracks its all about track knowledge. In the tuning section there is a thread called "How to build a car" by HLR juggernaut and im trying to see if he will implement a guide to which tracks usually run more grip then other tracks. For example in A class a 5.9 to 6.1 handling will usually do best for you (not always but a general guideline), while road America full is usually 5.6-5.9 handling.

Who knows I might end up reaching out to people in all classes and see if they will help me put together something for that. Any volunteers in E thru X class?
 1 user liked this post.
#44 Posted : Tuesday, March 8, 2016 3:38:41 PM(UTC)

And here's why:

Option 1)

Option 2)

Its quite amazing how a lobby can turn so bad so quickly. All it takes is one. One person to hit somebody then the retaliation starts and usually somebody else gets wiped up in it then they want revenge so on and so forth. That's why like you I try to race with friends either in a party chat or have them all in game chat (when its working). Its really easy to remove somebody that's wrecking when your in game chat and others have their mics on.

Those close races you speak of are the best experience one can have on forza. I think the problem with those close races is ego at the end. 1 doesn't want 1 to pass and to fail at holding on the position. I have swallowed my pride a long time ago in forza. I know I can race but I know im not anywhere near the fastest. Will I try to beat the fastest in a race yes but I wont jeopardize our places because I refuse to lose. This isn't a sunday racer I promise there is another race coming in 2 minutes for you to try again. Getting 2nd and not 1st or 11th not 10th isn't the end of the world. Wrecking somebody is a risk: Risk wrecking yourself, Risk getting wrecked on the next lap by him/his friends, Risk getting banned. To me none of those risks are worth it. Like you said somebody that races me clean I will instantly tell the people in my party to keep it clean with them and it snowballs from there to hopefully awesome racing all night. Thanks for the insight Zedeeyen!!!
#45 Posted : Wednesday, March 9, 2016 12:46:12 PM(UTC)
Today I was playing multi online. I was driving clearly and trying to take every corner with brain. I was in group with high exp players so my position on race was 4/9. 1 minute before end of race I tried to hunt 3th position but in maintime I lost steering on wheel and I drive thru the landscape. I returned on track trying to beat loosed seconds and accidentally I hit the guy who already passed me on this time. 30 second to finish I returned to my 4th position and this guy on 5th. 20 second after the competition I got message from him: Reported. Asking him for what ?: for being rush to other players. **** I replied to him , there was no chance to get better stats anyway and I done it accidentally (he was 5th). Some people are to nervous and they shouldn't play video games. By the way not every one is experienced that much to drive on track like James May from Top Gear. With all respect to other players who wants clear races-> try to play with same exp lvl players. Most of players are randomly selected to the competitions so basically you never know who is driving other cars and is hard to expect from newbie drivers to drive clearly. Everyone of us started the same.

#46 Posted : Thursday, March 10, 2016 7:49:05 AM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: Cimersies Go to Quoted Post
Today I was playing multi online. I was driving clearly and trying to take every corner with brain. I was in group with high exp players so my position on race was 4/9. 1 minute before end of race I tried to hunt 3th position but in maintime I lost steering on wheel and I drive thru the landscape. I returned on track trying to beat loosed seconds and accidentally I hit the guy who already passed me on this time. 30 second to finish I returned to my 4th position and this guy on 5th. 20 second after the competition I got message from him: Reported. Asking him for what ?: for being rush to other players. **** I replied to him , there was no chance to get better stats anyway and I done it accidentally (he was 5th). Some people are to nervous and they shouldn't play video games. By the way not every one is experienced that much to drive on track like James May from Top Gear. With all respect to other players who wants clear races-> try to play with same exp lvl players. Most of players are randomly selected to the competitions so basically you never know who is driving other cars and is hard to expect from newbie drivers to drive clearly. Everyone of us started the same.

Trust me when I say we don't expect everybody to drive top notch. What we expect is a fair clean race. Accidents happen like you said when you hit that guy that you didn't mean to. If he went back and watched the video he could have seen that. Did you let him have his spot back? That alone usually means that it was an accident. If you didn't then I see why he would be mad. These Guidelines I have in place for myself just make the game fun and challenging for me and others live by their own/similar rules. If I wreck somebody I wait for them to get going but that's my choice to do that.

Im glad that you are trying to keep it clean and thats 95% of the battle lol.
#47 Posted : Thursday, March 10, 2016 8:58:49 AM(UTC)
I wholeheartedly agree with all these post ( the ones I've had time to read anyway) What I have to add that I have not seen elsewhere is. On the Hoppers where you don't often know many racers in the lobby always assume the driver directly in front of you on the grid will sit still at race start, plan to go around them and not straight into the back ( on the outside preferably in case the car next to you is doing the same) and cause a mass pile-up at the start. There could be any number of reasons why they sat still, poor connection, not paying attention, controller batteries dead more probably dare I say just wants to cause problems from very start ( I will however, give them the benefit of the doubt as long as it happens only once) .
I have noticed now that I can get online more regularly that the hoppers do finally appear to be getting a bit cleaner, whether that's to do with this thread or the wreckers finally getting bored and moving on is anyone's guess. Has anybody else noticed?
 1 user liked this post.
#48 Posted : Thursday, March 10, 2016 12:35:33 PM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: Sticky Fiddler Go to Quoted Post
I wholeheartedly agree with all these post ( the ones I've had time to read anyway) What I have to add that I have not seen elsewhere is. On the Hoppers where you don't often know many racers in the lobby always assume the driver directly in front of you on the grid will sit still at race start, plan to go around them and not straight into the back ( on the outside preferably in case the car next to you is doing the same) and cause a mass pile-up at the start. There could be any number of reasons why they sat still, poor connection, not paying attention, controller batteries dead more probably dare I say just wants to cause problems from very start ( I will however, give them the benefit of the doubt as long as it happens only once) .
I have noticed now that I can get online more regularly that the hoppers do finally appear to be getting a bit cleaner, whether that's to do with this thread or the wreckers finally getting bored and moving on is anyone's guess. Has anybody else noticed?

The start is very tricky and I use that technique as well at least when I first get in the lobby. I usually take mental notes on those clean racers and expect them to launch so I launch like normal. With that said I always look behind me and if there is an AWD car in the row behind me I make sure I stay in my lane no matter what so he can choose what direction to launch and pass.

The lobbies have days where I don't get messed with and days where I couldn't get a clean pass all night lol.
#49 Posted : Sunday, March 13, 2016 12:03:16 PM(UTC)
Excellent post Johnson. Perfect actually. I am just like you with the pride. Rather have P2 then block for P1. Situational awareness. We have another race. Do I want this race wrecked because we are both too stubborn to conceded. That said leave a spot open for clean pass or make a mistep that I can take advantage of- done.

I guess those that will have heart burn will be those like me. Fast just not Fast. I treat the race like multi class race. If your fast, I'm letting you by, but I have a race too. So patience from both is greatly appreciated.

Last night there was an awesome race at Watkins Glen we were side by side/ nose to tail a pack of ten of us (could I've gone faster, yep) I was 11th place and loved every minute of it.

Brands hatch no one seems to be able to get. Turn 1, 2,3, 4, 5, 6 , 7
The gap in skill needed for is just too great and there can be incident through the whole thing (and that's with the 23 players of Watkins Glen race) I was pretty close to last. Pulled up safely to run last and by end of lap I was 6th only to be in racing incident (not intentional) ㅁand back to close to last.

I guess the thing is patience in a nut shell. Yeah you may be able to go around the track 4 seconds faster. But your not alone. When a spot opens up you can go. But if there are 2 cars wide and someone in front of you please just drive the same speed. Yes the guys that broke free are getting away. Wait for the pack to single file and start then.
#50 Posted : Thursday, March 24, 2016 12:31:13 PM(UTC)
Lol the pack that I usually race w/ have started calling me "The Magician" because there have been so many races that I successfully avoided contact in the 1st turn.
9 times out of 10 I can get through the first corner cleanly, while literally all the rest get involve in a wreck. Its mostly prediction but don't be afraid to dip in the grass to pass by cars that are flipping or backwards. Don't cut corners though, people see that and tend to want to target you. Also stick to the inside of the turn for the first. Tap breaks a bit early, that way anyone behind you will be impatient and try go around. Which happens to be where most wrecks happen... right in the middle and usually caused by people deciding to go full bore in to the pack.

Edited by user Thursday, March 24, 2016 12:32:17 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

5 Pages1234>>PrevNext

Notification

Icon
Error