13 Pages<<111213Prev
#301 Posted : Tuesday, June 7, 2016 11:08:38 AM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: Jawshe Go to Quoted Post
Wow! Over two years later and the post still seems to be helping people.

I took a couple years off Forza but picked up Forza 6 and am getting right back to it. Im going to try and repost this in the Forza 6 discussion. Maybe I can get it stickied.

In the meantime, feel free to add my gamertag if you have any questions or just want to talk/chill on forza.

Thanks for all the support guys!

I've found the post quite useful but haven't followed it verbatim. For one, turning off all the assists at one time was just too overwhelming so I've done it in stages which has worked very well as I gained confidence and experience. Doing it incrementally did not ingrain any bad habits. Also, I found Forza Horizon was a less competitive environment to practice on with less of a penalty for making mistakes especially when switching to manual shifting with clutch.

I focused on learning the tracks with most assists, having fun, then getting better without assists. With the most powerful cars on some tracks I still turn on traction control because I'm still using a controller and the trigger feedback isn't as fast as a real car. I used to drive VERY powerful cars and as good as Forza is, it's still not the same as the real thing.

NOTE: I kept failing with manual & clutch until I changed the button layout so that A+X is shift up with clutch and B is downshift. Mashing A+X makes shifting with clutch real easy and then I downshift without the clutch.

1) All assists until in my mind I could predict the next two corners. Set controller precision to 0 to 100 for all controls
2) Turned off stability control system and racing line
3) Turned off braking but kept ABS
3a) Turned off ABS and traction control on slower cars
3b) Turned off ABS on all cars
4) Turned off cosmetic damage (except in multiplayer where there are crazy drivers) and turned off rewind except when learning how to run a fast lap in rivals
5) Full manual shifting with clutch
5a) Turned on cosmetic damage while learning to shift and rewind on with very fast cars to learn where to shift on tracks
5b) (In progress) Turning off cosmetic damage and rewind

NOTE: In Forza Horizon 2 I always have cosmetic damage on because of the avatars which are aggressive and the type of racing the game is designed for.

I'm still using braking line on/off depending on track and car. Slower cars I don't need it but in race cars I'm still learning.

Final note. I can't seem to drive in anything but cockpit. So in cross country challenges in Forza Horizon 2, visibility is a nightmare at times and so I use full racing line AND rewind for the Championship series to grind through them.

Edited by user Sunday, June 12, 2016 8:51:27 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

The gamer tag is accurate. It's how I've made a living for about 30 years, however I wish was racing cars instead. Sigh
#302 Posted : Tuesday, June 7, 2016 11:57:00 AM(UTC)
do not downshift without clutch. if you have manual clutch engaged always use the clutch if not it causes engine, clutch, and trans damage. I know irl you dont actually need a clutch but if u have it turned on in forza use it. Not sure why mashing a+x is different than mashing a+b.

PTG Home

Race Team
Tester
Tuner
#303 Posted : Thursday, June 9, 2016 9:25:07 AM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: WritesCode4Food Go to Quoted Post

Final note. I can't seem to drive in anything but cockpit. So in cross country challenges in Forza Horizon, visibility is a nightmare at times and so I use full racing line AND rewind for the Championship series to grind through them.

I always drive using cockpit view, yet, was very challenging on Horizon, thus, there I switch between cockpit and hood view depending on the event.

PRKid

DJ Saoco
#304 Posted : Sunday, June 12, 2016 8:42:34 PM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: PTG Baby Cow Go to Quoted Post
do not downshift without clutch. if you have manual clutch engaged always use the clutch if not it causes engine, clutch, and trans damage. I know irl you dont actually need a clutch but if u have it turned on in forza use it. Not sure why mashing a+x is different than mashing a+b.

Angle of my thumb is better for A+X based on how I hold the controller. Thanks for the downshift tip. I hadn't noticed the damage because often lately I haven't been playing with simulation damage because I've mostly been in Forza Horizon 2.

I might have to rethink my button layout. I've only been doing the manual shifting plus clutch for a couple of months so I could still change. What layout do you recommend for gear up/down and clutch?
The gamer tag is accurate. It's how I've made a living for about 30 years, however I wish was racing cars instead. Sigh
#305 Posted : Sunday, June 12, 2016 8:54:33 PM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: HLR PRKid Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: WritesCode4Food Go to Quoted Post

Final note. I can't seem to drive in anything but cockpit. So in cross country challenges in Forza Horizon, visibility is a nightmare at times and so I use full racing line AND rewind for the Championship series to grind through them.

I always drive using cockpit view, yet, was very challenging on Horizon, thus, there I switch between cockpit and hood view depending on the event.

PRKid

I've tried hood view in Horizon but still find it's hard to see where I'm going but can't seem to drive from chase view effectively. I do use hood view for the Autocross events which seems to work best for me.

Running cockpit view in the LM cars has gained my respect for the real drivers.
 1 user liked this post.
#306 Posted : Sunday, September 3, 2017 6:25:15 PM(UTC)
Although I may be late to FM5 (only recently upgraded to XB1 & FM5 free with GWG for the first half of this month),
I found your advice awesome, many thanks, 🖒🖒😎
#307 Posted : Tuesday, September 12, 2017 1:11:07 PM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: TigerFoxBlade Go to Quoted Post
Although I may be late to FM5 (only recently upgraded to XB1 & FM5 free with GWG for the first half of this month),
I found your advice awesome, many thanks, 🖒🖒😎

I too am new and found this thread very helpful. Great work guys!

Side note, do you guys know if there is a limit to the amount of tunes one can upload? I do not upload myself but have read about some very nasty tunes for cars and I want to try them out but searching isn't effective. I am thinking maybe they original creators have taken them down for space or quit.
#308 Posted : Friday, December 29, 2017 7:35:49 AM(UTC)
I know this is an old thread, but it is still useful. I have played GT4 and RealRacing3 and some others in the past. Learning the braking point is tough. But it is important. And as you develop as a driver, your braking point will vary from the game's.

As for assists, I was having a tough time with the Viper ACR and the '09 ZR1 Vette. I watched my son drive and noticed how gentle/smooth he was. So I started working on that and got better. I kept the STM on to help. Finally, with about 3 races left, I turned it off because I needed just a little more to win. And guess what? I was faster and had learned that I didn't have to have it and was even better with the STM off.

I turned ABS off a long time ago - well I've had the game for a month. Still using the braking line some. The tracks from GT4 and RR3 are pretty much in my mind at this point and the braking line and mini map isn't important. I have a feel for those.

I use rewind still to learn and to correct mistakes in a 3 lap race. My game and I'll play it how I want. I don't use rewind for miinor errors; only for really stupid things. And I go back and do it RIGHT.

Went to manual, haven't gone to clutch yet. And alll of these things have helped me to get faster and win more easily. Also , once you improve, you can turn the difficulty up and the drivatars are a little better. I'm not going to be a super driver, but don;t want to win by a huge margin. I want to race door to door some and have to strategize my race.

Haven't tuned a thing yet. I'd rather just race on a lesser difficulty and have fun than to set and reset the camber every lap. (Sarcasm exaggeration). I used to do that on NASCAR Racing and I just want to play driver. I get a little time each day, so I want to drive, not tune.

Great guide and was helpful, even as I work in FM7 as well. I still enjoy the FM5 a LOT. I drove it last night longer than I drove FM7. I don't like stadium trucks or ATVs on asphalt in FM7. Not fun to me. I want to drive real cars on real tracks. I have enjoyed every series in FM5 so far. I could drive 60s cars all the time. Chaparral? excellent.
#309 Posted : Saturday, May 19, 2018 9:16:48 AM(UTC)
Although this thread is dated; I still found the information quite useful.

Thanks Jawshe🙂
13 Pages<<111213Prev

Notification

Icon
Error