5 Pages<<2345PrevNext
#76 Posted : Sunday, August 9, 2015 9:22:13 AM(UTC)
Community Manager | ManteoMax.com Forza spreadsheets
 2 users liked this post.
#77 Posted : Sunday, August 9, 2015 9:44:11 AM(UTC)
Interesting that the tweet implies that they could have done custom public lobbies if they wanted to.
#78 Posted : Sunday, August 9, 2015 12:43:07 PM(UTC)
Although having them in would be ideal, in reality it just divides MP even more. People focus on the good old days of custom lobbies but most were quarter full.

It's good the option is there for private. I am a little gutted as I did used to like running public. You used to be able to fill the grid with AI who were then replaced if people joined.

Edited by user Sunday, August 9, 2015 12:43:42 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

#79 Posted : Sunday, August 9, 2015 12:48:07 PM(UTC)
If they ever do custom lobbies in motorsport again, it will be depressing. All turn 10 want to do is just think about the racing and none of the freedom the players want. I will not be surprised if they take out Infection (Tag Virus) for this and incoming Motorsport in the next years because it's not racing to Turn 10 in my mind. Custom lobbies wont be as creative and fun as Forza Motorsport 2,3,4 or Horizon 1. For this announcement of no custom lobbies, Forza will never be the same from now on...

Edited by user Sunday, August 9, 2015 12:51:56 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

2 users liked this post.
#80 Posted : Sunday, August 9, 2015 1:28:19 PM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: Zeem Frostmaw Go to Quoted Post
Interesting that the tweet implies that they could have done custom public lobbies if they wanted to.

Actually they couldn't have because of the way the XB1 servers work. They won't allow for custom public lobbies for security purposes. If you want to blame anyone for no custom public lobbies, then blame MS. It was their decision. Other games wanted to include custom pubs, but couldn't.
 1 user liked this post.
#81 Posted : Sunday, August 9, 2015 4:38:16 PM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: ManteoMax Go to Quoted Post

I'll have to say that's a deal breaker for me. It surprises me that turn 10 and Microsoft can't use the new technology of the Xbox one and the power of the cloud to return one of the best features on previous Forza's that were on an inferior console after 2 years...
#82 Posted : Sunday, August 9, 2015 7:41:50 PM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: ShadowChaser36 Go to Quoted Post
They won't allow for custom public lobbies for security purposes.

It has nothing to do with security and everything to do with forcing matchmaking.

Talking to brick walls since 2007.
Motivational Poster. Praise Dragnet
#83 Posted : Sunday, August 9, 2015 8:32:40 PM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: DUST2DEATH Go to Quoted Post

It has nothing to do with security and everything to do with forcing matchmaking.

I'll retract my previous statement as there isn't any real hard evidence out there that MS wouldn't allow for custom public lobbies other than developers at Slightly Mad blaming it on MS as to why they couldn't implement it Project Cars. My apologies.
#84 Posted : Sunday, August 9, 2015 10:49:51 PM(UTC)
Although there is no definitive reason given there aren't searchable custom lobbys on any XB1 game hosted on XBL servers as far as I can tell. Clearly the reasons run deeper than MS simply wanting to force matchmaking on a few driving games. Whatever the reason it's something that T10 and other developers have to work around.
#85 Posted : Sunday, August 9, 2015 11:32:13 PM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: Dadiodude Go to Quoted Post
Although there is no definitive reason given there aren't searchable custom lobbys on any XB1 game hosted on XBL servers as far as I can tell. Clearly the reasons run deeper than MS simply wanting to force matchmaking on a few driving games. Whatever the reason it's something that T10 and other developers have to work around.

no its doesnt. Its matchmaking for everything. Do people really have to be that specific that you can join the dots?

This forum sometimes....

#86 Posted : Monday, August 10, 2015 2:19:27 AM(UTC)

I'll retract my previous statement as there isn't any real hard evidence out there that MS wouldn't allow for custom public lobbies other than developers at Slightly Mad blaming it on MS as to why they couldn't implement it Project Cars. My apologies.

Do you have an proof of this?
#87 Posted : Monday, August 10, 2015 3:33:14 AM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: JMJRulz Go to Quoted Post

http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/projects/trueskill/

http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/projects/trueskill/details.aspx#matchmaking

MS wrote:

Matchmaking is an important service provided by gaming leagues. It allows participants to find team-mates and opponents who are reasonably close to their own skill level. As a consequence, it is likely that the match will be interesting, as all participants have roughly the same chances of winning.
#88 Posted : Monday, August 10, 2015 3:54:48 AM(UTC)

it's actually coming to Project CARS in 3.0

Twitter: @RyHirons
#89 Posted : Monday, August 10, 2015 8:28:45 AM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: deadlycowpat95 Go to Quoted Post

it's actually coming to Project CARS in 3.0

I read the patch notes this morning. Like I said before, I retract my previous statement and apologies. Hopefully we'll see searchable custom lobbies back at some point for Forza.
#90 Posted : Tuesday, August 11, 2015 2:43:42 PM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: JMJRulz Go to Quoted Post

http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/projects/trueskill/

http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/projects/trueskill/details.aspx#matchmaking

MS wrote:

Matchmaking is an important service provided by gaming leagues. It allows participants to find team-mates and opponents who are reasonably close to their own skill level. As a consequence, it is likely that the match will be interesting, as all participants have roughly the same chances of winning.

That'll be a no then.

Trueskill is hardly new is it and has little if anything to do with searchable lobbys. In fact the actual topic being discussed isn't mentioned in any of your references. EA servers are heading the same way and that has nothing at all to do with XBL. The trend towards persistent servers seems a more likely explanation to me but then I don't suffer from paranoia and the belief that Microsoft is a tool of the devil. To each his own :)

Edited by user Tuesday, August 11, 2015 10:49:24 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

#91 Posted : Tuesday, August 11, 2015 4:09:56 PM(UTC)
Trueskill IS matchmaking.

Your rank, may or may not be shown depending on the game. That is why you can have custom lobbies, but arent searchable. Keyword there is searchable.

Why wouldnt MS want everyone to use their infrastructure for XBL?

EA runs their own servers and as such can do as they please.
#92 Posted : Tuesday, August 11, 2015 8:18:00 PM(UTC)
Forza 2 had Searchable Custom Lobbies *AND* had TrueSkill rankings.

Forza 3 introduced Matchmaking Hoppers, but had no Searchable Custom Lobbies (can't remember if TrueSkill was visible or hidden in FM3)

Forza 4 had Matchmaking Hoppers *AND* Searchable Custom Lobbies (TrueSkill not visible)

Forza 5 had Matchmaking Hoppers, but no Searchable Custom Lobbies (TrueSkill not visible)

Mod edit - WSD - max 1 line of text with sig --- Please don't use your sig to attack other forum members - Duey
#93 Posted : Tuesday, August 11, 2015 8:50:11 PM(UTC)
It was visible in FM3.

Both with searchable were on the previous "generation" of XBL.
#94 Posted : Wednesday, August 12, 2015 12:27:09 AM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: Amused2Death 66 Go to Quoted Post
Although having them in would be ideal, in reality it just divides MP even more. People focus on the good old days of custom lobbies but most were quarter full.

It's good the option is there for private. I am a little gutted as I did used to like running public. You used to be able to fill the grid with AI who were then replaced if people joined.

Yeah it could be a rose-tinted glasses effect (unlike the Storefront, which was genuinely amazing); I quite enjoyed the Custom Public Lobbies in Forza Motorsport 4 but part of what was because they were clean and fair compared to the Hoppers.

If Forza Race Leagues achieves what Turn 10 want it to achieve, and Private Lobby hosts still have a lot of freedom to set up events the way they want to, then not having Custom Public Lobbies may end up being a good thing afterall.
#95 Posted : Wednesday, August 12, 2015 5:39:46 AM(UTC)

Your rank, may or may not be shown depending on the game. That is why you can have custom lobbies, but arent searchable. Keyword there is searchable.

[TrueSkill] was visible in FM3.

Hmmm...

• TrueSkill IS matchmaking...
  • TrueSkill has been in use since 2007...
  • TrueSkill Matchmaking AND Searchable Custom Lobbies co-existed on XBox 360...
  • Xbox One is a new generation, where you can "Play on one of the world’s largest cloud infrastructures dedicated to multiplayer games" ...
  • Therefore --- Custom Lobbies cannot be Searchable?

Sure, based on widespread use of matchmaking, MS believes that is the direction to go. It's possible that Turn 10 *also* believes it to be best. I'm just having trouble following the "TrueSkill means lobbies *cannot* be searchable" explanation.

Mod edit - WSD - max 1 line of text with sig --- Please don't use your sig to attack other forum members - Duey
#96 Posted : Wednesday, August 12, 2015 6:59:31 AM(UTC)
[Mod Edit - Duek - Off Topic]

Edited by user Wednesday, August 12, 2015 7:45:58 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

#97 Posted : Wednesday, August 12, 2015 9:08:06 AM(UTC)
How was my post off-topic? It discussed the public lobby system and how that relates to the Forza community, as well as other community issues. If you want to call it off-topic fine, but don't let the "pro everything Turn 10 does" crowd use the community (not splitting up the community from public lobbies and hoppers/leagues) as a reason for them not having public lobbies.
#98 Posted : Wednesday, August 12, 2015 1:49:32 PM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: Don Ente Go to Quoted Post

Hmmm...

• Xbox One is a new generation, where you can "Play on one of the world’s largest cloud infrastructures dedicated to multiplayer games" ...

Sure, based on widespread use of matchmaking, MS believes that is the direction to go. It's possible that Turn 10 *also* believes it to be best. I'm just having trouble following the "TrueSkill means lobbies *cannot* be searchable" explanation.

This is what i think the explanation is - It does not mean they cannot be searchable. It means to make trueskill work best they have chosen to force everyone into the matchmaking queue in an attempt to have a bigger poolsize so they can match skills better.
I blame the ants.
#99 Posted : Wednesday, August 12, 2015 1:52:24 PM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: Don Ente Go to Quoted Post

Hmmm...

Don, I never said Trueskill means lobbies cannot be searchable. You made that assumption.

Trueskill == Matchmaking.

The only reason I said the above statement was to clarify for those that the links to the MS research page was referencing Matchmaking at the XBL core for game services. (seeing as there is no dedicated matchmaking page - because its buried in the trueskill stuff).

1 user liked this post.
#100 Posted : Wednesday, August 12, 2015 3:10:38 PM(UTC)

Don, I never said Trueskill means lobbies cannot be searchable. You made that assumption.

Trueskill == Matchmaking.

The only reason I said the above statement was to clarify for those that the links to the MS research page was referencing Matchmaking at the XBL core for game services. (seeing as there is no dedicated matchmaking page - because its buried in the trueskill stuff).

Sorry.

Guess I made a big jump from:

"Trueskill IS matchmaking. Your rank, may or may not be shown depending on the game. That is why you can have custom lobbies, but arent searchable. Keyword there is searchable."

to:

"Trueskill IS matchmaking ... is why you can have custom lobbies, but arent searchable."

My assumption. My bad.

5 Pages<<2345PrevNext

Notification

Icon
Error