#1 Posted : Thursday, May 28, 2015 2:22:40 PM(UTC)
Hello guys, I have a question

Sometimes on some specific turns, especially one, my car feels like it loses all traction and starts turning to wide. There's no tyre squeal, no vibration, anything. Like the steering goes numb and it kind of feels like a mix of turning wide and understeer. It's hard to correct and I have to lower my speed too much. Otherwise, I just go out of the track and ruin my hot lap, I have to start again. This happens especially at the first hairpin (where the country flags are painted on the stands) on the Nürburgring+GP, but I can also take the corner at speed with tyres squealing but it feels normal, and I go though the corner sharply.
But as I said before, randomly, it sometimes feels like the steering disconects. Kind of like when you are running out of batteries, which is not the case. It also happens when I have my controller plugged via USB.
It also happened to me on road Atlanta, but I can't remember the corner.
Anyone experienced this?

It doesn't matter if it's AWD, RWD, FWD, Stock, upgraded or tuned. So it's not the car.
I don't think it's my technique either, but might be.

Edited by user Thursday, May 28, 2015 2:24:01 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

1 user liked this post.
#2 Posted : Friday, May 29, 2015 6:49:29 AM(UTC)
Bumps?

Nurb is bumpy and there are parts of gp section that'll upset cars if you hit it wrong.

There's also a dip on the left hand corner after essess on road Atlanta that'll make the car feel like it's understeering.

Could be your thumbstick is broke. I've already broken the left thumbstick on 2 controllers. On my most recent one I can turn left but turning right is sketchy. Never know if it'll work and sometimes it partly works and feels like I'm plowing the corner.
#3 Posted : Tuesday, June 2, 2015 12:10:10 PM(UTC)
No no broken thumb stick, I am usually careful with bumps on Nürburgring because I'm aware of it's, er, bumpiness, but mostly on fast corners. I tend to brake on a straight line to avoid unsettling the car in a corner while braking if there's a bump and to manage better the traction on the front wheels
. I didn't thought a bump would give that understeer sensation if driven over on a corner. It makes sense
I thought it was more like a glitch or something because there really is no tyre squeal or vibration, but the bump is probably enough to make you turn wide
Thanks!
#4 Posted : Tuesday, June 2, 2015 8:42:18 PM(UTC)
Do you use the line?
#5 Posted : Wednesday, June 3, 2015 5:56:13 AM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: Der Ringmeister Go to Quoted Post
No no broken thumb stick, I am usually careful with bumps on Nürburgring because I'm aware of it's, er, bumpiness, but mostly on fast corners. I tend to brake on a straight line to avoid unsettling the car in a corner while braking if there's a bump and to manage better the traction on the front wheels
. I didn't thought a bump would give that understeer sensation if driven over on a corner. It makes sense
I thought it was more like a glitch or something because there really is no tyre squeal or vibration, but the bump is probably enough to make you turn wide
Thanks!

Yea bumps will do that and drive you nuts at times because usually it upsets your line just enough to where you barely go off course and get a penalty. Road Atlanta annoys me at times because of this. I've noticed here, nurb gp and bugatti that super soft suspension will only magnify the traction loss at times.
#6 Posted : Wednesday, June 3, 2015 1:59:59 PM(UTC)
RPM Swerve called it bud. What you are experiencing is early stages of thumbstick Potentiometer failure. Everything will be fine then suddenly it's as if only 20 or 30% of your thumbstick input is registering. As you use the stick more you'll notice the problem arise more frequently I assure you.
One way to get a better sense of how bad it is or how frequently it's occurring is to go nuts making designs for a car for a half hour or so. . You'll be able to easily notice when a decal or shape you are using suddenly slows down while being moved or possibly keeps moving without your input.

If you're curious as to why so many people have this issue with current gen controllers feel free to read on.
If two minutes of reading leaves you feeling overwhelmed with the urge to start freaking out "OMFG WALL OF TEXT!" then the following is most likely not for you-

Like Swerve, I too have gone through a couple of controllers in the past year due to the poor quality of the thumbstick Potentiometers (sensors) . In higher quality Pots if you don't see any physical damage to the unit itself it usually means a quick squirt with some electronic contact cleaner (Not wd40!) from Radio shack or a hardware store will remove whatever debris may be keeping the wiper in the pot from registering properly. Sadly in the case of both the Xbox One and PS4 (they use identical thumbstick sensors) the controllers have the absolute worst quality Potentiometers available. Basically the plastic housing on them has an extremely low tolerance for heat and stress. This means that after a relatively short period of time the internals are prone to warping or wearing down and keeping the wipers inside from being able to make adequate contact throughout the thumbsticks full range of motion. There are two solutions for this issue. The first is the easiest and also the most frustrating. You cough up a wad of cash for a whole new controller and enjoy it while it lasts. The second option involves some basic soldering tools and a new Potentiometer from eBay. If you are inexperienced with soldiering small electronics do a search on YouTube and see if it seems like something you would be comfortable with. Keep in mind that while a mistake while working with electronics is usually correctable, there is real potential to permanently ruin the controller beyond any chance of repair. Whichever road you take I hope you find yourself back on the track and in control of your steering as soon as possible.
 1 user liked this post.
#7 Posted : Thursday, June 4, 2015 5:08:01 AM(UTC)
You can also request xbox repair your controller. Sent both of mine off and they repaired them for free despite the fact that the warranty already expired. All I had to pay was the cost of shipping.

I went through FedEx and had them package the controllers for me. The cost was far cheaper than buying new controllers but you'll have to wait a few weeks.
#8 Posted : Saturday, July 25, 2015 4:09:04 AM(UTC)
Check your dead zone setting, they can go out of wack at times.
DRIVE FAST OR DON'T BOTHER DRIVING....
PTG W4RLOCK
WWW.PENDULUMTUNING.PROBOARDS.COM
Twitter @ptg_w4rlock

Notification

Icon
Error