5 Pages12345PrevNext
#51 Posted : Tuesday, April 14, 2015 10:11:29 AM(UTC)
Gonna go out on a limb, based on nothingmore than what I've read in here. It's a proprietary graphics game engine that will be used for Forza, Horizon, and maybe a Rally game as well....

This way they can
1) lease it ( license it or whatever) to Playground and others for Horizon, or whatever else gets developed for XBOne...
2) they can put this trademarked name on the box/use it in all advertising for all future games put out making use of it for marketing etc.

For instance, the Pool Nation just released out on GoldLive uses the Unreal engine, and don't you think they didn't make it known...
Similar things here moving forward, my guess.

Edited by user Tuesday, April 14, 2015 10:12:15 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

2Old4Forza
#52 Posted : Tuesday, April 14, 2015 2:31:02 PM(UTC)
I have a feeling that forzatech is going to be advanced damage and tyre wearing bot visually and physically e.g punctuers, front wings falling off etc. Or it's going to have better graphics (generally speaking) and more advanced simulation e.g air temperature affects tyres, going off road and picking up dirt and marbles affects tires, altitude affects the performance of the car etc. Not sure which one it will be but i think it's going to be one of the two.
#53 Posted : Tuesday, April 14, 2015 11:52:32 PM(UTC)
None of what you've mentioned could be the subject of a patent as its all been done before. It's more likely that they've developed software that performs far better on the XB1 platform. What they're able to use this increased performance for is another matter.
#54 Posted : Thursday, April 16, 2015 4:28:36 AM(UTC)
Im just curious, so I'll throw this out there...do you guys think that a slight res drop (Like PCars' 900p) would be an okay thing to do if it improved performance (and stays at 60fps) and also allowed more features/game engine enhancements (optimistically speaking), or would you rather see the res stay where it is?
#55 Posted : Thursday, April 16, 2015 9:45:56 AM(UTC)
It depends on what aspects of the game they want to improve. Forza 5 was 1080p 60fps so it's more than likely they'll keep it that way. Plus I also don't think dropping the resolution will bring more game featuers, maybe a TINY bit of gme engine enhanchements but probably wont notice it. I would be ok with them dropping the resolution if they was a big increase in the game engine enhancements, but I would be a little anoyed if they did it for a little better performance.
#56 Posted : Thursday, April 16, 2015 11:24:50 AM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: EpicEvan777 Go to Quoted Post
It depends on what aspects of the game they want to improve. Forza 5 was 1080p 60fps so it's more than likely they'll keep it that way. Plus I also don't think dropping the resolution will bring more game featuers, maybe a TINY bit of gme engine enhanchements but probably wont notice it. I would be ok with them dropping the resolution if they was a big increase in the game engine enhancements, but I would be a little anoyed if they did it for a little better performance.

I guess I would agree. The gains they would make with such a slight drop would be minimal. Also, decreasing the resolution would defy the purpose of the "next-gen" consoles. Hopefully there is still a bit more to be squeezed out via DX12 and this new engine. Kinda wishing Microsoft had started the next-gen with better internals, it's definitely too soon to be hitting the ceiling; but I realize that they don't make a lot on the actual console anyways, so concessions must be made.
#57 Posted : Thursday, April 16, 2015 1:24:04 PM(UTC)
I think developers pretty much hit the ceiling on consoles with their first title. If PC specs were standardised it would be exactly the same. the XB1 is a little odd in that they released the hardware quite some time before they made the APIs it was designed to use available so it'll be interesting to see what's in store.

Regarding resolution, I've ran 1080p, 1080i and 720p on a 50" and perhaps its just me but I can't really tell the difference. For sure when you're racing rather than looking (if you follow me) there's no practical difference between the resolutions supported by the console.

Edited by user Thursday, April 16, 2015 1:27:52 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

#58 Posted : Thursday, April 16, 2015 1:46:24 PM(UTC)
^They have hit the ceiling. There isnt anything to learn like past consoles. There is no magic sauce coming.

@Dadiodude. Use a good monitor, you will notice. Monitors > TV's.

back to that ceiling..

GTA5 PC
DF wrote:

The GTX 750 Ti paired with the i3-3410 is a real success, for example - a combo that forms part of a circa-£300 PC, where 1080p60 at high settings is very doable.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2015-grand-theft-auto-5-pc-performance

That Dual core.....
Talking to brick walls since 2007.
Motivational Poster. Praise Dragnet
#59 Posted : Thursday, April 16, 2015 2:03:09 PM(UTC)
Nanotechnology that atomizes and re-assembles engines or drivetrains making even more swap options available

V16 Swapped Classic Beetle's and whatnot

ITS THE FUTURE BABY! ;)
#60 Posted : Thursday, April 16, 2015 2:10:38 PM(UTC)
I do realize this is getting a bit off topic, but it makes me wonder why with 4k on the horizon when the XB1 was introduced, why not up the specs a bit so they can implement it (or at least be on par w/ps4). Unless they have a new console coming, but I very, very highly doubt it. Anyways, all we can do is hope they improve the physics model and multiplayer, personally I think the graphics are acceptable, FM6 just needs to focus on content and community (not mass appeal to kids, that's what Horizon is for). I think they will have to skew their focus towards sim if they want to compete with PCars. New engine, new API, let's see what happens.
#61 Posted : Thursday, April 16, 2015 2:24:34 PM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: FlattRascal48 Go to Quoted Post
I do realize this is getting a bit off topic, but it makes me wonder why with 4k on the horizon when the XB1 was introduced, why not up the specs a bit so they can implement it (or at least be on par w/ps4). Unless they have a new console coming, but I very, very highly doubt it.

reason #1 : Most people dont want to pay the cost associated for something that would have been capable of that. Remember how many people balked at the initial asking price of the PS3?

reason #2 : I doubt there will be another console.

Opinion: Both Sony and MS will get out of hardware.
#62 Posted : Thursday, April 16, 2015 3:07:16 PM(UTC)
Don't we already have enough PC vs console threads?

#63 Posted : Thursday, April 16, 2015 3:18:51 PM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: EpicEvan777 Go to Quoted Post
I have a feeling that forzatech is going to be advanced damage and tyre wearing bot visually and physically e.g punctuers, front wings falling off etc. Or it's going to have better graphics (generally speaking) and more advanced simulation e.g air temperature affects tyres, going off road and picking up dirt and marbles affects tires, altitude affects the performance of the car etc. Not sure which one it will be but i think it's going to be one of the two.

Punctures in a Forza game? Highly doubtful. The day Turn 10 adds that, then I want catastrophic failures from risky engine builds, un-prepped transmissions, realistic fuel usage and, energy degradation in Electric cars. Oh and races long enough for the last two wants to happen.

But still... No one knows anything about Forzatech outside of Microsoft and Turn 10. Lets gather what ever news we can about the game engine, before speculating.

Edited by user Thursday, April 16, 2015 3:21:09 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Time to hit the road.

Take care!
#64 Posted : Thursday, April 16, 2015 6:56:22 PM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: Dragnet Go to Quoted Post
Don't we already have enough PC vs console threads?

Point made Dragnet. They'll probably be one and the same soon anyways, but that's a conversation for a another time. Looking forward to what MS and T10 have cooking for E3, and I'll leave it at that.
 1 user liked this post.
#65 Posted : Friday, April 17, 2015 2:14:49 PM(UTC)
Before we all get excited, let's all remember it's a trademark on a specific name. For all we know it could be FM5's graphics and physics engine with a nice buzzwordy name that's waiting us in FM6. But hopefully it will be a new engine to compete with other contemporary games (Driveclub, pCars) on an equal footing. Let's not forget FM5 received a massive graphics downgrade from the E3 2013 demo to its release. We could get back what's been removed, and more.
FH4 Paints | Gallery
#66 Posted : Friday, April 24, 2015 11:33:23 AM(UTC)
Well, I think Forza Tech is all about a cloud engine for physics simulation.
#67 Posted : Friday, April 24, 2015 12:12:49 PM(UTC)
I do realize this is getting a bit off topic, but it makes me wonder why with 4k on the horizon when the XB1 was introduced, why not up the specs a bit so they can implement it

Look back at history of the 360 a bit.. HDMI came out in 2002.. ish? Anyways, MS didn't add hdmi to the 360 until 2007, 1.5 years after the initial hardware rolled out. Sure changing an interface isn't the same thing as magically making hardware support 4k. I was just trying to reason that the companies tend to favor what is the most popular option at the time. Right now, 4k is still on the leading edge, where decent cards are still going to set back someone ~$330. And that is just the promise of 4k, not 4k running at 60fps.

I still think Forzatech is just PR lingo to pass back and forth between both series of games. "Forza Motorsport 6, made with Forzatech." "Forza Horizon 3, made with Forzatech." That or maybe they are looking to license their engine to other developers. It would be cool though if it turned out to be some ground up engine that simulates everything down to the wheel nuts falling off because they were not torqued right.
#68 Posted : Friday, April 24, 2015 12:20:59 PM(UTC)
Im just curious, so I'll throw this out there...do you guys think that a slight res drop (Like PCars' 900p) would be an okay thing to do if it improved performance (and stays at 60fps) and also allowed more features/game engine enhancements (optimistically speaking), or would you rather see the res stay where it is?

I don`t get the performance part, the 60fps have always been very steady and smooth.
But as for lowering the res, I wouldn`t mind at all. I think Forza5 would have looked better at 900p with better AA.
I just wonder if Turn10/MS would dare such a move, with all the 1080p fetish going around.

#69 Posted : Friday, April 24, 2015 12:32:58 PM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: Wotans Erben Go to Quoted Post

Nah, too much latency on the worlds current internet for that to even be remotely a good idea.

1 user liked this post.
#70 Posted : Friday, April 24, 2015 4:13:07 PM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: DUST2DEATH Go to Quoted Post

Nah, too much latency on the worlds current internet for that to even be remotely a good idea.

I think it's an A.I. system for an army of robots that resemble Dan G.
"Precision, finesse, and handling will ALWAYS be defeated by shouting, smoking, and POWER."

-Jeremy Clarkson, explaining how an AMG Merc beat a Maserati on TG track.

I ONLY TUNE GUITARS
#71 Posted : Friday, April 24, 2015 10:20:32 PM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: Binurah Go to Quoted Post

I don`t get the performance part, the 60fps have always been very steady and smooth.
But as for lowering the res, I wouldn`t mind at all. I think Forza5 would have looked better at 900p with better AA.
I just wonder if Turn10/MS would dare such a move, with all the 1080p fetish going around.

I'm curious as to how resolution works. 900p would be the games native resolution but the Xbox one will only output at 720 or 1080 and most TVs look for 480, 720 or 1080. Does the hardware try to upscale (although if it can why lower the native res) or does it drop to a lower res. The other option would be an incomplete 1080 but how this would work I've no idea.

Anyone know how a native 900p is output?
#72 Posted : Saturday, April 25, 2015 7:04:34 AM(UTC)
^^^Dadiodude, here is an article about Ryse's 900p res... http://www.eurogamer.net/articl...ve-ryses-900p-resolution
#73 Posted : Saturday, April 25, 2015 8:55:33 AM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: DUST2DEATH Go to Quoted Post

Well, I think it depends. Not every part is latency critical. You will still run your 360fps sampling rate on your local Xbox to react to the input and such stuff like bumpers etc. But you can also constantly stream your input into the cloud and constantly receive a stream from the cloud. In the cloud you could do the heaviest realistic computations: all things that influence tires, engine heating, weather influence... whatever. Even if you have latency of 5-8 seconds, who cares? If your tires heating, your engines heating or your car behaves different because of all of them happens, doesn't matter. Nothing of it happens at the start or is critical to happen from one millisecond to the next millisecond. It doesn't even not matter if it happen between 1-8 seconds if you are driving many laps. The only important thing is that all multiplayer buddies acknowledge to receive the same data within this "latency" timeframe. Just look at first person shooters. They are out there for many decades. This is more latency critical, because it's important that every player sees every other players moving around in a realistic time frame, even if you have latency of 1-2 seconds. If this is enough, it's good enough to inform your car to react differently, because the cloud said that your tires are overheating and have too much pressure or whatever.

Edited by user Saturday, April 25, 2015 12:03:01 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

2 users liked this post.
#74 Posted : Saturday, April 25, 2015 12:37:32 PM(UTC)

If I had to wait 5 - 8 seconds for a physics response (like your previous suggestion of offloading physics calculations to the cloud)....

You know what...

#75 Posted : Saturday, April 25, 2015 6:15:24 PM(UTC)
Your tires don't overheating from one second to another right from the start of the race. It's because you are driving over a long time. Thousands of dependencies could influence why and when it's overheating. But if you are already driving 5 minutes or so, no one would care if you receive a change to your tires at 5:01 or 5:06. It's simply completely unimportant. Even if it's beginning to rain, your car isn't break away right from the first raindrops. Or let's say you have dynamic daytime and the sun is moving around. You wouldn't say: "hey we have noonday and the sun is now at zenith, ultimately illuminating the complete asphalt. Now we need to compute the heating of the asphalt every millisecond, because it will heat up my tires." Sure, it will heat up your tires, but not right now from the start that it would affect anything to your tires. Latency is in this case completely insignificant. It's not important that you get the data in millisecond intervals, some seconds is still good. But you get data from very heavy computations for that.
5 Pages12345PrevNext

Notification

Icon
Error