#1 Posted : Monday, August 18, 2014 7:03:56 PM(UTC)
Hello, today I have decided to see what common ground we as a community can make and create some sort of guidelines to building cars and judging drift battles. This post is to be used as a reference for FMDL type drift car builds and events. These rules are intended for RWD Drift Tandem Battles. WE will not be addressing any other type of drifting than this.

RULES MARKED AS UNOFFICIAL SHOULD BE TAKEN AS SUCH AND BE DISCUSSED.

Please note that most rules are taken from FMDL with minor adjustments to suit FM5 and are subject to change.

Car build rules:
650 HP cap
RWD only
A Class or Lower
Front-Engine Only (Unless the opponent agrees to allow use of a mid or rear engine vehicle)
No open wheel vehicles
Full roll-cage is mandatory
Vehicles must weigh between 2100lbs and 3199lbs (953kg and 1451kg) *UNOFFICIAL*

Approved Tire/Tyre types:
  • Stock

• Street

• Sport

Forza Aero is allowed

Tuning rules:
NO positive camber on the front tires

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Judging:
All judges must be static on each corner of the section that is being battled.
Gap, Angle, Line, Clipping Point, Speed must all be judged these five key points must be judged on each corner.

However, Gap can be taken away if the lead car is “lagging”. If the lead car is too slow the follower may ask for additional room off of the 50 roll and gap will not be judged. It must be approved by the majority of the judges (Has to be greater than half >50%)

Spin-outs/stall:

The Spin out stall rule only complies for turns under 50% of the run. if 2/3 corners can be judged, the spin/stall goes against the drifter for the final turn. However if its under 50% of the run, you may do a redo. You only get 2 chances though.
(A maximum of 2 re-dos per person for the entire ROUND. After that, the person who didn’t spin out can take the run.)

The 50 Roll:
Drifters must drive between 47-50mph during the 50 roll zone for each track. Anything above and bellow is fail. A maximum of 53 mph is allowed during a 50 roll, but must be returned to 50 MPH ASAP. (for those who have an itchy RT finger) Accidents do happen…

No overtaking during the 50 Roll!

If the follow car contacts the lead car, and causes the lead car to stop drifting, or pushes the lead car too far away from their line, the RUN goes to the lead car. If the follow car contacts the lead car, and the lead car can continue drifting, the result is a loss of that CORNER.

Of course, if the lead car feels that its necessary redo that run, then that option is available.

No Overtake Zones:
After a 50 roll, you cannot overtake a drifter until they have reached the start of the first turn. The NO OVERTAKE ZONE is between the 50 roll and the first corner of that section.

Clean overtakes whilst maintaining angle through a corner without disrupting the lead car is an automatic win of that corner, however, the following corners must be judged as if the follower and leader have switched positions.

Tire Drop/Dirt Drop:
Two or more tires in the dirt is considered a dirt drop, therefore the call for “clipping point” in the battle must not be given to that drifter. You can still judge it on Speed and angle, so I stress that judges don't deprive a drifter of the whole turn due to a dirt drop. Only one tire in the dirt is allowed and you can only call inside clipping point from the second closest tire to the white line. (Presuming its a front tire that dirt dropped)

So basically if a front tire dirt drops, that tire is off the track, the next closest tire to the clipping point must be used from then on during that turn.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

If I've missed anything or you have any suggestions I urge you to post.

Edited by user Monday, August 25, 2014 11:34:18 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Team Toyo Member
Proud S14 owner
#2 Posted : Monday, August 18, 2014 7:29:07 PM(UTC)
Just a question why are mid-engines not allowed.
#3 Posted : Monday, August 18, 2014 7:30:58 PM(UTC)
Lose the A class only and force make it 700pi and under. (some of us have B class and lower that are just as fast as our A's)

HP cap is fine. IMHO if you need more, you need to get better.

No mid/rear engine should be kept. (Anyone that has been here since Forza 2 realizes why.)

I like the Formula D style tire size rules. I tried implementing them when 4 came out but didn't get enough support.

The redo allowance on the spin thing is nice, but can really stretch out comps.

The 50 roll thing is there to allow the follow driver to get in position before they floor it. So technically ONLY the lead driver is supposed to follow the 50 roll thing.

Keep the old contact rules. The first part is fine. But if there is contact and nothing happens, then forget it. (Of course follow would be getting points for gap)

Need to elaborate more on the no overtake thing. Whats there is correct, but some of us have also added that if the follow car can overtake on the outside WHILE maintaining angle (example: Lead car crawling around the inside of a turn) , then the run goes to the follow car.

#4 Posted : Monday, August 18, 2014 7:33:09 PM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: DRxSickness Go to Quoted Post

They kinda have an unfair speed advantage.
On average 5-10mph through a turn then your typical front engine car.
#5 Posted : Monday, August 18, 2014 7:35:37 PM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: x8o8drifter Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: DRxSickness Go to Quoted Post

They kinda have an unfair speed advantage.
On average 5-10mph through a turn then your typical front engine car.

Got to it before I did
Team Toyo Member
Proud S14 owner
#6 Posted : Monday, August 18, 2014 11:39:57 PM(UTC)
Looks like my VFD rules mix with FMDL. Not bad, but lets be real. None you guys are going to respect the tire to weight rule. Also their is no way to check cars. This would be a good point to start from.
#7 Posted : Tuesday, August 19, 2014 9:19:55 AM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: Based Bankai Go to Quoted Post
Looks like my VFD rules mix with FMDL. Not bad, but lets be real. None you guys are going to respect the tire to weight rule. Also their is no way to check cars. This would be a good point to start from.

You can always hope the tire rule would work but it's nothing official. I feel it would make people stray away from using a car just because it has wide tires.
Team Toyo Member
Proud S14 owner
#8 Posted : Tuesday, August 19, 2014 11:19:09 AM(UTC)
Anybody getting a comp together?
#9 Posted : Monday, August 25, 2014 11:30:57 AM(UTC)
Yea I agree that the tire to weight rule wont really be followed but if you start sumthing up Im down.. And I don't think it should be a HP cap
#10 Posted : Monday, August 25, 2014 11:25:40 PM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: TGF PhillyAce Go to Quoted Post
Yea I agree that the tire to weight rule wont really be followed but if you start sumthing up Im down.. And I don't think it should be a HP cap

The HP cap is fairly rudimentary as it is agreed upon by much of the battle community, however, A power to weight ratio sort of cap would be much more effective in leveling the playing field.

EDIT: The tire to weight rule has been removed as there is no way to definitively check for tire discrepancies in drift car builds.

Edited by user Monday, August 25, 2014 11:33:40 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Team Toyo Member
Proud S14 owner
#11 Posted : Tuesday, August 26, 2014 10:25:25 AM(UTC)
Why is the full roll cage a must? Some of my cars I don't use a full, maybe just a semi.
#12 Posted : Tuesday, August 26, 2014 6:37:56 PM(UTC)
I absolutely agree with a power to weight ratio cap as compared to just a flat out HP cap. Although none of my cars of near 650hp anyway....but I think having a power to weight cap would be the most effective way to manage speed differences in cars. Now just to figure out what and how that cap should work. Good thinking though Toaster!
"I've been drifting since, long before anyone paid me to drift. I didn't do it to be cool, I didn't do it to make a statement. I just liked it."
#13 Posted : Tuesday, August 26, 2014 9:49:56 PM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: FizNpop Go to Quoted Post
Why is the full roll cage a must? Some of my cars I don't use a full, maybe just a semi.

The rule is more of a formality, in actual tandem drifting events (FD,D1GP,etc.) roll cages are required. This is also to keep car from being too light and is only a guideline for battles. This is something that my team and many others believe should be mandatory. Cages would only be required for battles, you can still drift around without a cage on your own time. The rule is only for battle cars.

Originally Posted by: theLockableTub Go to Quoted Post
I absolutely agree with a power to weight ratio cap as compared to just a flat out HP cap. Although none of my cars of near 650hp anyway....but I think having a power to weight cap would be the most effective way to manage speed differences in cars. Now just to figure out what and how that cap should work. Good thinking though Toaster!

I think if you need 650 hp you need to improve your driving. The power to weight cap could be enforced fairly easy but might be tedious, HP keeps it simple but doesn't allow for even play. Another question that should be asked is if we actually want to level the playing field and punish those who can find ways to get better power to weight ratios than others?

Edited by user Tuesday, August 26, 2014 9:52:57 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Team Toyo Member
Proud S14 owner
#14 Posted : Wednesday, August 27, 2014 12:43:06 AM(UTC)
Alot of these have been discussed over the years.
We got to the 650hp/700pi cap just because its the easiest way to do things.
And I haven't found a car I couldn't make competitive yet with those rules.
#15 Posted : Wednesday, August 27, 2014 4:23:44 PM(UTC)
Although FM is no Formuma D, majority of those cars run 700hp or more, some even over 1,000. Now I dont think that any drifter on here is actually going to want that much hp, haha. But having a power to weight would allow for better and more technical drift battles, and also keep everyone from using the same 2-3 cars just because they tend to be faster. (Example, Spirit R in FM2, R34 in FM3 i believe, and the older camero in FM4, although i never actually played that game) It will make some people step out and try different cars. Although I havent seen one or two cars stand out in FM5 yet, which is good. Now on the other hand, a lot of your speed comes down to how you tune as well. I dont think having 650hp or more comes down to needing to improve your driving, I dont have any problem with the hp cap because it never is an issue in any cars i personally build. But it might just make things a little more interesting.

Edited by user Wednesday, August 27, 2014 4:24:32 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

"I've been drifting since, long before anyone paid me to drift. I didn't do it to be cool, I didn't do it to make a statement. I just liked it."

Notification

Icon
Error