#1 Posted : Thursday, July 1, 2021 9:53:24 PM(UTC)
I have Forza Motorsport 7 for Windows 10 PC.

I was looking around for best IRL lap times at Laguna Seca and the Nordschleife in various Mustangs/Camaros/Corvettes/Vipers and Google led me to articles by Car & Driver about their annual Lightning Lap event held at VIR since 2006.

I think something like 270 cars have been tested since 2006.

Turns out there's a relatively high number of car's that C&D has tested at its Lightning Lap event over the past 15 years that are also available in Forza MS7 with the same production year make/model.

I thought I'd see if I could match the C&D staff driver's best times in the same car on the same track, the problem with this is, in the C&D articles available for free on the internet, C&D uses "Grand Course" and "Grand West Course" interchangeably, but generally just uses "The Grand Course". I've looked around and found conflicting information about the layout and length of The Grand Course and Grand West Course. The total track distance I've found in most of the C&D LL event articles is 4.1 miles (but sometimes 4.2 miles in older articles) with 24 total turns/corners. Forza MS7 in game says the total length of the Grand West Course is 4.1 miles but doesn't give total number of turns. Various Forza wikis and Wikipedia that have information on the VIR Grand West course featured in FMS7 say it is 4.1 miles total length with 28 turns/corners.

The best lap C&D staff drivers ran on "The Grand Course" in the 2007 Shelby GT500 was 3:05.9 and my best lap in Forza on the VIR Grand West course in a stock 2007 GT500 is 3:03.9. IMO that's a suspect result because I don't think I've ever run a lap time in Forza MS7 that much faster than a IRL lap time posted by a professional driver.

I'm looking for clarification on differences between the C&D VIR "Grand Course" and the Forza MS7 VIR "Grand West Course* so I can rip around exactly the same configuration of VIR that C&D has used for their annual Lightning Lap the past 15 years event to see if I can match their staff driver's times in the same cars in the same stock configuration

Edited by user Friday, July 2, 2021 10:32:24 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

1 user liked this post.
#2 Posted : Friday, July 2, 2021 5:44:29 PM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: DougieC69420 Go to Quoted Post
I have Forza Motorsport 7 for Windows 10 PC.

I was looking around for best IRL lap times at Laguna Seca and the Nordschleife in various Mustangs/Camaros/Corvettes/Vipers and Google led me to articles by Car & Driver about their annual Lightning Lap event held at VIR since 2006.

I think something like 270 cars have been tested since 2006.

Turns out there's a relatively high number of car's that C&D has tested at its Lightning Lap event over the past 15 years that are also available in Forza MS7 with the same production year make/model.

I thought I'd see if I could match the C&D staff driver's best times in the same car on the same track, the problem with this is, in the C&D articles available for free on the internet, C&D uses "Grand Course" and "Grand West Course" interchangeably, but generally just uses "The Grand Course". I've looked around and found conflicting information about the layout and length of The Grand Course and Grand West Course. The total track distance I've found in most of the C&D LL event articles is 4.1 miles (but sometimes 4.2 miles in older articles) with 24 total turns/corners. Forza MS7 in game says the total length of the Grand West Course is 4.1 miles but doesn't give total number of turns. Various Forza wikis and Wikipedia that have information on the VIR Grand West course featured in FMS7 say it is 4.1 miles total length with 28 turns/corners.

The best lap C&D staff drivers ran on "The Grand Course" in the 2007 Shelby GT500 was 3:05.9 and my best lap in Forza on the VIR Grand West course in a stock 2007 GT500 is 3:03.9. IMO that's a suspect result because I don't think I've ever run a lap time in Forza MS7 that much faster than a IRL lap time posted by a professional driver.

I'm looking for clarification on differences between the C&D VIR "Grand Course" and the Forza MS7 VIR "Grand West Course* so I can rip around exactly the same configuration of VIR that C&D has used for their annual Lightning Lap the past 15 years event to see if I can match their staff driver's times in the same cars in the same stock configuration

VIR had 2 "grand" layouts, being East and West. I don't think East is run anymore, probably because the transition from the east straight into the inner circuit is absolute garbage. I ran multiple track days there between 2009 - 2012 and I was back there again in 2017 and I've never seen that turn in use. That leaves just the West course which is the Grand Course in today's layouts.

As it goes for differences in lap times, 2007 was a long time ago. In 2013 they repaved and widened multiple parts of the track making it faster and easier. VIR wasn't added to Forza until the 2016 Porsche pack so I'd expect the track was scanned in that time frame and not a hold over from earlier games that they updated.

And the less but should be more obvious difference, tires. Granted we are talking about digital tires, but we are talking digital tires modeled in probably 2015 with the release of FM6 vs 2007 performance tires.

You should try testing post 2016 runs they should be closer to where you'd expect.

Notification

Icon
Error