2 users liked this post.
#1 Posted : Friday, December 4, 2020 11:51:31 PM(UTC)
Hi fellow racers,
I'm pretty sure I've found a severe bug (although one could argue that it's just an oversight) and I think there should be something done about it. I finished my previous Forza Horizon 4 season on PC, I quit the game, the save was flushed to the cloud, all well and good. Then after two days I started FH4 on my Xbox Series X and got Quick Resumed to the game. I was greeted to a weird state of game, incorrect season, wrong car, etc. - it was from the last time I've played on Xbox Series X. So I restarted the game thinking it will just sync up the save and all be good. But it sure wasn't. When I quit the game on Xbox, that particular incorrect save state was flushed to the cloud and I've lost:
  • progress (and completition) of that particular season,
  • cars that I've acquired and already put to auction,
  • money,
  • chance to finish the Series.

There can be some mitigation for this problem that I can think of top of my head:
  • Allow optional disabling of Quick Resume for Forza Horizon 4 (and all Play Anywhere titles for the same reason).
  • Make sure Forza can sync up the save (and reload) after being Quick Resumed.

I'm pretty sure I just lost the progress forever and there cannot be something done about it, but I would like this to be a lesson for everybody that enjoys the privilege to play their favorite games on multiple devices.¨

EDIT: I've noticed it's a known issue. https://support.forzamot...us/articles/360001991068

Edited by user Saturday, December 5, 2020 2:17:31 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

#2 Posted : Saturday, December 5, 2020 4:34:49 AM(UTC)
The thing is that this was all very foreseeable by Microsoft but they pressed ahead with this half-broken feature anyway. It affects a lot of other games too apparently.
#3 Posted : Saturday, December 5, 2020 12:38:00 PM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: FortuneRayzorCZ Go to Quoted Post
Hi fellow racers,
I'm pretty sure I've found a severe bug (although one could argue that it's just an oversight) and I think there should be something done about it. I finished my previous Forza Horizon 4 season on PC, I quit the game, the save was flushed to the cloud, all well and good. Then after two days I started FH4 on my Xbox Series X and got Quick Resumed to the game. I was greeted to a weird state of game, incorrect season, wrong car, etc. - it was from the last time I've played on Xbox Series X. So I restarted the game thinking it will just sync up the save and all be good. But it sure wasn't. When I quit the game on Xbox, that particular incorrect save state was flushed to the cloud and I've lost:
  • progress (and completition) of that particular season,
  • cars that I've acquired and already put to auction,
  • money,
  • chance to finish the Series.

There can be some mitigation for this problem that I can think of top of my head:
  • Allow optional disabling of Quick Resume for Forza Horizon 4 (and all Play Anywhere titles for the same reason).
  • Make sure Forza can sync up the save (and reload) after being Quick Resumed.

I'm pretty sure I just lost the progress forever and there cannot be something done about it, but I would like this to be a lesson for everybody that enjoys the privilege to play their favorite games on multiple devices.¨

EDIT: I've noticed it's a known issue. https://support.forzamot...us/articles/360001991068

I had the exact same thing happen to me. I had rebooted the Xbox multiple times in-between. I had never seen it say quick resume before and then it did and had the same symptoms as you. I am not playing until they can recover what I lost. I don't even understand how it lost the season progress since that should be server side.
#4 Posted : Saturday, December 5, 2020 9:06:53 PM(UTC)
after quick resuming it showed forzathon live starts in 3S 4:59 knowing that there is something wrong with quickresume was always leaving the game and did 'more options'>'close' on dashboard
but since latest xbox system update sometimes it is not showing 'close' but starts with quickresume later
it also show sync at every start now

there is atm no way to fully prevent the quickresume thing
thats microsofts beta test :D i've reported 10 bugs on seriesx after 1 day use
#5 Posted : Wednesday, December 23, 2020 4:28:06 PM(UTC)
Every time I leave the game I force a save
I fast travel back to the festival site then exit ...which forces a save
Never had a save issue...even with quick resume..across multiple games
#6 Posted : Thursday, December 24, 2020 2:39:53 AM(UTC)
Another bug I just came across with this - When you're in a quick resume state (when it works), the timing of the Forzathon daily gets mucked up as well. This could lead to people not getting the chance to complete them all properly.
#7 Posted : Thursday, December 24, 2020 3:08:11 AM(UTC)
Makes me glad i haven't purchased the XBox Series X yet (i resisted the itch even though i could have bought straight up).

May be worth my while waiting a couple of months to see whether they iron out all the bugs (there's a few by the sounds of it).
#8 Posted : Thursday, December 24, 2020 4:43:22 AM(UTC)
I've reported to Microsoft that it doesn't show the state of the Container. U dont know if the Game is in QuickResume state it needs some Icon or whatever. But it is normal behavior that it QuickResume's after reboot. Problem is the CrossPlatform thing in Forza and it needs some fix GameTime must be refreshed after QuickResume and it needs to check for newer Saves not only on Start.
But if some new save exists it needs to sync and restart so the quickresume is not an quickresume anymore. Best solution is to do extra App>Close step

There is more wrong with saves i've closed the game and last car was Toyota T100 after new start i was sitting in Audi TTS (not first time and always same audi). Some Cars in list lost their previews (white picture) and some tuned/painted cars are displayed with default preview (on pc it shows with spoiler on seriesx normal car, reapplying paint/design/tune fixes this)
#9 Posted : Sunday, February 21, 2021 5:22:06 AM(UTC)
Everytime when i start the game its use the quick resume, but the daily challenges are not updated that way. To avoid this i log in with my second account and go back to my main account so the game start from the beginning. Is there a way to disable the quick resume, because now i need more time to start the game then without the ''quick'' resume.
#10 Posted : Sunday, February 21, 2021 6:03:05 AM(UTC)
I often switch between PC and Xbox One and it works so far without any problems.

However, I always wait about 5 minutes until the current savegame has been uploaded. Alternatively you can track it via the router how long it takes to upload the savefile (part of it).

It is in the nature of things that the new 'quick resume' cannot take over the current memory status, but it should be patched I think.

Does 'quick resume' work after restarting the Xbox Series S/X or not using it?

Is the time advantage between 'quick resume' and the normal start of the game so big that it is worth to get the save status corrupted?

Unfortunately, I also have another car showing up when switching between the platforms. It should have been patched, but it's probably not.

I can also give the advice to pay attention on the loading circle in the game and to only end the game when it has disappeared.

Notification

Icon
Error