#1 Posted : Saturday, September 26, 2020 5:37:08 PM(UTC)
I managed to successfully create a program in Java that captures all of the data during a race and stores it in a SQL database. I wanted to see if I could re-play the telemetry from the race using the data in the database, and I succeeded... but then I thought ... what could I do with this data and it occurred to me that it might be possible to use it for tuning enhancement, but my knowledge stops with the writing of the code. I haven't the first clue about how to apply the information to changes in tuning.

What is interesting about the telemetry that is offered, is the sheer detail, which includes all of the info on the controller being used to control the vehicle, including how far the accelerator is being pressed down, or the brake, clutch, even the steering is recorded with 0 being rest position then it goes negative for left, etc..

So, I'm thinking ... as a potential example of what might be useful in the data, is being able to look at how hard someone is steering vs. how stress is applied to the tires, etc. which might help in adjusting suspension or alignment, etc.

If there is anyone out there who would understand how the real-time telemetry data from a race could assist in tuning vehicles, and if you're interested in creating something that could end up being something useful ... let me know, because I can definitely do the coding that could calculate just about anything you can think of in any way you could think of ... finding relationships between certain events and how they work over time ... might be useful ...

Then again, I might just be thinking from ignorance and the data might be useless... I don't really know which is why I made this post. ☺

Looking forward to any feedback.

Thank you,

Mike Sims
#2 Posted : Saturday, October 3, 2020 5:13:13 AM(UTC)
Sounds like an interesting project, and I wish you the best of luck with making something cool out of it.

Is the data you're getting any different than the data logging feature included with the game? I haven't looked at it at all, but I know there's a lot more information there than the in-game telemetry menus shows us.
#3 Posted : Saturday, October 3, 2020 5:48:32 AM(UTC)
Sounds good to me, we can try to build something. For instance, different tuning is important for every track and this tool could help with it. Or could improve driving skills because of feedback.
 1 user liked this post.
#4 Posted : Tuesday, January 5, 2021 9:09:05 AM(UTC)
I know this is an old thread, but I have worked in this space with professional motorsport.

A practical guide to racecar vehicle dynamics would be beneficial.

I had a client give me this:
https://smile.amazon.com...-Analysis/dp/1456587919/

You can also find calculations and math channels for other data software like Cosworth/ Pi Research, Bosch, McLaren, Marelli online that may help.

The hard part will be like finding an oversteer/understeer calculation, but it relies on knowing the wheelbase or something to make the calculation.

RaceCar vehicle Dynamics by Milliken is another.

Most of entry level analysis should focus on hitting your marks, and your traces from lap to lap should overlay and become almost identical of course.

Set yourself up with a dashboard/page that shows steering , throttle , brakes and gear OVER DISTANCE (time based analysis should be avoided, so use lap dist) as these are the driver inputs.

then you could start with putting all of the dampers and load cells on a page, you can start to understand your COP which is very important in aero cars as an example. You can find fz fairly easily.

http://theracingline.net...-and-center-of-pressure/

One thing to note is to try to run this calc or only focus on the data when the car is straight at or above X speed, and the track is not uphill or downhill and it is in a steady accel in a top speed to minimize variables.
Forza 🔰Newbie
#5 Posted : Tuesday, January 5, 2021 9:06:31 PM(UTC)
You have probably already gone through the following thread, yet, jic....

Data Out Feature Details

I have tested a couple for the packages produced by several folks, especially that produced by " theWauz". You might want to check his open source code and Dashboard he produced. It is very cool, including several tabs for various pieces of information as output. I personally made some minor changes to his code for units and display, and, have certainly enjoyed using such.

I would certainly be interested in your continued efforts along with some brainstorming around potential uses & output for the data.

PRKid

Edited by user Tuesday, January 5, 2021 9:10:03 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

DJ Saoco

Notification

Icon
Error