22 Pages<<56789>>PrevNext
#151 Posted : Wednesday, October 7, 2020 12:45:30 PM(UTC)
Haven't tried any of the DLC cars (I refuse to pay $4 for a single car, and none of the DLC packs have ever interested me enough to purchase one in its entirety), but here's my take on the vanilla options:

Ferrari 375: Hardest of the lot to drive. Gets ornery under power, and has a knife edge between retaining control and losing it.

Alfa 158, MB W154, Auto Union Type D: All kind of unremarkable and bland. Betting one of these will be top dog, given there's no aero to keep squirrelier cars on the road. MB has the least weird in-cockpit camera position.

Maserati 8CTF: Strikes a good balance between wild-and-woolly fun and driveability. My ride of choice. Not likely to be fast.

Alfa P3: Not as refined out of the box as the 8CTF, but may have potential with a good setup. Also not likely to be fast.
 1 user liked this post.
#152 Posted : Wednesday, October 7, 2020 12:52:11 PM(UTC)
Going to be fun trying to get around 90 degree corners and a hairpin, might need to apply the handbrake.

As an idea for next week (or later) how about Major Micros E or D class at Brands Hatch Indy Circuit or VIR's Patriot Alt
 2 users liked this post.
#153 Posted : Wednesday, October 7, 2020 1:18:30 PM(UTC)
Saw one of those insane cars at an auto show in Philadelphia last year and turned to my wife and said “they didn’t care if you lived or died as long as you drove the car.” The motto for the week... NO AIRBAGS WE DIE LIKE REAL MEN !
#154 Posted : Wednesday, October 7, 2020 1:26:35 PM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: hansonalanrob Go to Quoted Post
As an idea for next week (or later) how about Major Micros E or D class at Brands Hatch Indy Circuit or VIR's Patriot Alt

Thanks for inputs on potential combo. We'll see what we can do. I think we've ran them 1-2 times, so, we'll make sure not to duplicate class and/or tracks.

PRKid

DJ Saoco
#155 Posted : Wednesday, October 7, 2020 5:52:31 PM(UTC)
My homologated build for the 8CTF was in pretty protean form, so aside from spring rate balance I pretty much had to start this one from scratch. Race tires (natch), NO RACE BRAKES?!?, stock knock-off wire wheels. All the tuneybits except a transmission (stock 4-speed is pretty well sorted). Tested lighter weight vs. wider tires (advantage: tires), full roll cage vs. no roll cage (advantage: roll cage), and stock brakes vs. NOT RACE BRAKES!?! (advantage: NRBs. Barely). Pretty satisfied with the build. I do want to do one pass at the suspension setup to try to get a bit more stability under throttle, but it's driveable as-is. Setup is uploaded as HLC S4.05 LB v0.

Current best: 0:55.572

I'll pretty easily dip into the 54s before this is over. Maybe even high 53s. Car's probably good for a bit more than that, but as I mentioned earlier I don't think it's going to be a real contender for best-in-Division. Gonna wager those will be hitting 52s before the week's out.
 3 users liked this post.
#156 Posted : Thursday, October 8, 2020 3:08:49 AM(UTC)
Rummaging around in the back of the dimly lit, dusty recesses of the Indycars garage, I finally found it. Buried underneath various mysterious car parts. Removing the dust cover with an orchestral sound of clanging hubcaps ... there it was. The car affectionately known as the Grass-Cutter The Indyscape paintwork still gleaming and the trident badge suggesting that this car is a warrior.. A relic of a bygone HLR HLC back in the heady days of season one. Knowing this was a day of different rules, I wheeled it out and began work.

55.365 Maserati 250F

Springs and dampers probably need a bit of work. Its really fun manhandling and finessing this car around the track. It now has a new name .... Harvey .... Harvey Wallbanger :)
#157 Posted : Thursday, October 8, 2020 3:47:22 AM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: R5R Indy Go to Quoted Post
Rummaging around in the back of the dimly lit, dusty recesses of the Indycars garage, I finally found it. Buried underneath various mysterious car parts. Removing the dust cover with an orchestral sound of clanging hubcaps ... there it was. The car affectionately known as the Grass-Cutter The Indyscape paintwork still gleaming and the trident badge suggesting that this car is a warrior.. A relic of a bygone HLR HLC back in the heady days of season one. Knowing this was a day of different rules, I wheeled it out and began work.

55.365 Maserati 250F

Springs and dampers probably need a bit of work. Its really fun manhandling and finessing this car around the track. It now has a new name .... Harvey .... Harvey Wallbanger :)

Gave you car a shot Indy and over my lunch break I managed a 0:55.312. Definitely some more time to be found in it though. I didn't think it handled too badly would need to a few more laps in it to properly evaluate it. Will give it another shot after work. I'm working from btw as I'm sure most of you are. It has its perks :-)

#158 Posted : Thursday, October 8, 2020 9:07:17 AM(UTC)
At least we can say this week features no chicanes.... (sighs of relief)..... 🤪

00:58:988.... 😎

#159 Posted : Thursday, October 8, 2020 12:13:49 PM(UTC)
Never thought I’d say this..... BUT..... the Maserati is ACTUALLY fun to drive. Found a tune by R5R Indy to put on it and away we went...... 👍
#160 Posted : Thursday, October 8, 2020 12:58:22 PM(UTC)
using the Maserati - 56.042

Can someone move the wall back in the exit of turn 1 (or is it turn 2 - 1st proper corner) by about 2m as I keep brushing it and dirtying what would be good laps
 2 users liked this post.
#161 Posted : Friday, October 9, 2020 7:35:16 AM(UTC)
We've already exceeded my expectations for this division. xAlea has put the Alfa P3 into the top 10, Greek is top 20 in the Ferrari 316, and minsons has just put the stunning '32 Alfa 8C into the top 50 running a PI < 690.

Good work guys!
#162 Posted : Friday, October 9, 2020 8:22:07 AM(UTC)
Hats off to the top guys, as always stunning times.

I've been finding this division a bit more of a challenge to be honest, glad it's been another short track otherwise the rage quitting may have started lol. I've tried a few different cars so far but not tried either Alfa, so may give them a go over the weekend.

1 user liked this post.
#163 Posted : Friday, October 9, 2020 2:53:37 PM(UTC)
Finally found some adjustments to the setup that made a positive difference. Car's a bit softer overall (don't need full spring on this track), LSD's a bit more aggressive, and I added some toe out to the fronts to alter the turn-in grip balance a bit. Car's a bit more stable under throttle and not so loose on the opening sweeper. Still can't seem to get a good run on more than one corner per lap, so my time's still behind what it should be. Setup uploaded as HLC S4.05 LB v1.

[Previous] Current best: 0:55.291

Also, since my gallery seems to have disappeared, you guys should check out the historically accurate livery I cooked up for the 8CTF. Have corporate sponsorship sorted out and everything.

==

Edit to add:

Current best: 0:55.27x

I was up on that lap by 0.230 at the checkpoint on one lap, so 0:54s are for sure within grasp. Still not anywhere near consistent enough to pull it off, though.

==

Edit to add II:

Gave the P3 a shot with a roughed-in A700 build and I can see why it's the favorite. Not as refined as the 8CTF and a bit harder to drive, but it's got a good amount of grunt and the three-speed gearbox works well for the track. Ran a very sloppy 0:55.9 with it, so I think if I took the time to get familiar with its behavior I could pretty handily beat my 8CTF time.

Edited by user Saturday, October 10, 2020 5:43:03 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

#164 Posted : Saturday, October 10, 2020 10:15:31 AM(UTC)
Sit rep.... dipped into low 56:2xx today.... trying to get into 55s..... did that already with 55:875 but it was dirty. The P3 is interesting to drive ..... just wish the brakes could be adjustable. Fine line between controllable and exhilarating to panic filled concrete sandwich 🥪 ( esp. in the narrowed T2)
#165 Posted : Saturday, October 10, 2020 10:57:20 AM(UTC)
Chris, have you tried the Alfa 158 or the Maserati 8CTF at all? They're both a lot less twitchy than the P3, and I think they both have the potential to be competitive with a good build.
#166 Posted : Saturday, October 10, 2020 11:58:20 AM(UTC)
Another one trying the P3 (xAlea's tune) - 55.529
#167 Posted : Saturday, October 10, 2020 12:25:15 PM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: Mr Pinstripes Go to Quoted Post
Chris, have you tried the Alfa 158 or the Maserati 8CTF at all? They're both a lot less twitchy than the P3, and I think they both have the potential to be competitive with a good build.

Thanks for the suggestions Mr. P...... will take a look-see 👀
 1 user liked this post.
#168 Posted : Sunday, October 11, 2020 12:11:06 AM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: hansonalanrob Go to Quoted Post
Another one trying the P3 (xAlea's tune) - 55.529

Still in the P3, now improved to 54.931.
#169 Posted : Sunday, October 11, 2020 6:16:18 AM(UTC)
First:

I built a more "metagamey" 8CTF (uploaded as HLC S4.05 LB Alt) if anyone wants to give it a shot. Skinnier tires, higher power/weight, less of a focus on driving character and more on raw lap times. I didn't go whole hog with it (I kept the stock wheels, for example), but it's as close as I'm willing to get. Not sure whether it'll actually be competitive or not (I have zero experience trying to build actual-factual leaderboard-capable cars), but I think it's closer than most of my builds. Managed a 0:55.20x before I switched back to my personal setup.

Second:

Rebuilt my own 8CTF. Dropped the tire width down to 205 (same as I'm using on the homologated version), rejiggered the ancillaries, and squeezed in Race weight reduction. Driving character didn't really suffer (though it can get a bit loose coming out of the hairpin if you romp on it too early), and acceleration and roadholding are noticeably improved. Better acceleration helps with the gearing/track mismatch, as well, as you can get into fourth early enough to justify the shift. Still envy you guys in the P3 with a built-in adjustable gearbox, but I'm not willing to make the compromises necessary to get a Race transmission into the build. Edit: Uploaded as HLC S4.05 LB v3.

Current best: 0:55.098

Hopefully I'll get enough seat time to break that 0:55 barrier. I'm getting more consistent, so I'm wasting a lot less time on pre-dirtied laps or missed turn-in points.

Edited by user Sunday, October 11, 2020 7:54:05 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

#170 Posted : Sunday, October 11, 2020 3:38:39 PM(UTC)
Gave the 158 a go the last couple of days and while it is a great drive and far more confidence inspiring than P3 (in addition to being a much better looking ride) ; the best it turned for me was 57s. So concluded it is not as capable. Drove the Auto Union “Silver Bullet” just for kicks and giggles and it is far too slow to be competitive. Composed, and as Mr P said ‘bland.’ Going to give his 8CTF a whirl tomorrow. 😎
 1 user liked this post.
#171 Posted : Monday, October 12, 2020 9:05:21 PM(UTC)
Managed a 53.7 with a TCS on! Tune is shared. Only one tune shared so Just search Barnycull. I could not get on with x Alea tune so maybe some of you might benefit from a tune that does not require such a high skill level. :) Props to those sub 53.5. Great skills.
#172 Posted : Tuesday, October 13, 2020 3:50:17 AM(UTC)
We're trying a different schedule at work, so I got a half-hour or so to run this morning. Was nosing back towards 0:54, but breakfast was ready and I had to shut it down. Not likely to get another chance at it, so the 0:55.09's probably my final time. The worst part is I can see all the spots I'm losing time, so I know it's just a matter of developing consistency and putting enough laps in to make it happen. I just don't have the time or patience anymore.

Still can't post a pic of the car. C'mon, T10. Fix your website already.
 1 user liked this post.
#173 Posted : Tuesday, October 13, 2020 9:53:25 AM(UTC)
Just put in a 10 lap session in xAlea tune of the P3 managed a 55.454
More time in it, had a couple of decent split times but did not manage to string them together and to tired to keep running.
Not my favorite type of tune, but I should be able to get a 54 out of it and it is fast.
 1 user liked this post.
#174 Posted : Tuesday, October 13, 2020 12:38:15 PM(UTC)
Still running in the P3. Tried Barny's tune and ran consistent 55.0s, switched back to xAlea's tune and improved to 54.686
Think I'll park the cars for this week, see what tomorrow's route is
#175 Posted : Tuesday, October 13, 2020 2:11:34 PM(UTC)
Never could get consistent on this track with these cars..... dipped into 55s a couple of dirty times.... but got HLR into Top 100. So I’m done.....

Official time...... Long Beach East..... HLR BURNINASPHALT...... Alfa Romeo P3...... 00:56:130 😎
22 Pages<<56789>>PrevNext

Notification

Icon
Error