#1 Posted : Wednesday, August 12, 2020 3:34:59 AM(UTC)
I want to know what's a good way to know when a car would be better with less than 6 gears, besides power to weight or by just changing the final drive. I know for the most part that muscle cars usually benefit from fewer gears, or cars like the gt40, but is there a better way to know or is it just trial and error and just testing out different gearing settups.
#2 Posted : Wednesday, August 12, 2020 9:11:29 AM(UTC)
I think it depends on a powerband.
 1 user liked this post.
#3 Posted : Saturday, August 15, 2020 4:55:06 AM(UTC)
If you're just looking to achieve the fastest possible lap times, check all four transmission options (stock, Street, Sport, and Race) and see which one gives you the most PI for other upgrades. That's almost always the one you should use, regardless of how many gears it has.

If you want to set up a transmission to actually follow real-world gearing logic, you need to look at the power curve of the car (the power/torque graph that shows up in the Engine upgrade section), the track(s) you'll be running on, and try to strike a balance between having enough gears to keep your horsepower near the peak of that curve but not so many that you spend all your time shifting. Cars with torquey, low end-focused motors (muscle cars, most turbocharged cars) tend to have a wider, flatter power curve and can get away with using less gears. Higher-revving, naturally aspirated motors tend to have narrow power bands, and will need more gears to keep the power as high as possible. Compare the power graph of an El Camino and a Radical SR8 for a good example of the differences.

Note that you're only going to be looking at the power curve. In the real world the torque curve is important for gearing setup, but Forza doesn't seem to work that way.

Once you know where your motor makes power, picking the number of gears is pretty straightforward. Set the car up to use however many you think it should (just take a guess) and take it for a spin. Is it bogging down after every shift? Set it up to use another gear. Are you shifting so often the car isn't using most of its power band? Try one less. There's no real "best answer" for how gearing should be set (it's always a compromise), so just figure out what works best for you and roll with it.

Lastly, there's nothing wrong with using the final drive slider to adjust how many gears the car uses and never, ever touching individual gears. It's not a great option (the default gear spacing is set such that it works OK for all cars, but not great for any of them), but it's guaranteed to produce workable results.
 1 user liked this post.
#4 Posted : Monday, August 17, 2020 7:00:00 PM(UTC)
I’m hoping in Forza Motorsport they untie the final drive ratio from the gearing in the transmission. In real life I can alter the ratio in the differential by different ring and pinion sets and never touch the transmission. It would really broaden the options available for tuning while also adding a more realistic approach to building a race car. I wouldnt be against transmission options by shifting style and gear sets. Six speed h pattern with clutch, 3 speed automatic, 7 speed double clutch, power glide, Muncie rock crusher four speed, CVT, 10 speed automatic, 6 speed sequential semi-automatic, etc. Depending on the transmission you pick it alters the shifting required in the race.

Notification

Icon
Error