2 Pages12Prev
#26 Posted : Thursday, May 7, 2020 12:28:11 PM(UTC)
Take a deep breath dude. 1-2-3.

It's just a game.
#27 Posted : Thursday, May 7, 2020 12:33:30 PM(UTC)
What difference does it make?

I win races using my setup and play the game to my advantage while making it easier for me to play.

AT or MT? It's just a game, play it for maximum enjoyment.

I use AT because it's easier.

#28 Posted : Friday, May 8, 2020 5:41:30 AM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: Shemp4Victory Go to Quoted Post
What difference does it make?

I win races using my setup and play the game to my advantage while making it easier for me to play.

AT or MT? It's just a game, play it for maximum enjoyment.

I use AT because it's easier.

And thats fine, I was just correcting all the misinformation. I wasn't trying to personally attack anyone, i was trying to shed light to those who may not know. There is so much misinformation on this forum and its bad for the whole community. Thank you zipper for your testing to prove what I was saying. You initially asked if the difference was just from shift points, while yes shift points have something to do with it, there is a baked in loss in shift time when not running M+C also. I then just wanted to point out that the builds are also going to suffer if you are adding a race trans just to tune gears so that the auto shift points weren't as terrible which is far from the nonsensical remark posted on the reddit link that was supplied saying that they are purposely posting bad sets that look better on stats for downloads. It simply isn't true they are just better builds however those running auto arent seeing the potential of these builds because they are running auto. Most of the players that have been around for a while dont even look at the stats other than a quick reference. The real numbers lay in the horsepower, obv if a top pi C class car has 500 horsepower it is going to be a missle and not a grip tune, whereas the same car having say 225 hp is obv going to be much more grip oriented.

PTG Home

Race Team
Tester
Tuner
#29 Posted : Friday, May 8, 2020 6:51:26 AM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: PTG Baby Cow Go to Quoted Post

... saying that they are purposely posting bad sets that look better on stats for downloads. ...

I had a good laugh with this :)

#30 Posted : Wednesday, May 13, 2020 3:24:03 PM(UTC)
Yeah manual will be quicker in the accel since you get to use high rev ranges, and also lets you choose to hold a gear when a corner is a little to fast or slow for the gear. The extra time spend shifting/spooling, and the unstability of the car caused by it is often not worth it.
But hey, I used to drive AT and have fun for quite a while in Gran Turismo way back when I started getting into racing seriously, and there isn't anything wrong with that lol
I didn't know people were posting tunes with cwap transmissions to get downloads, though lol that said, I rarely download tunes at all. I figured some people might be posting mediocre tunes deliberately for many reasons.
The race transmission is definitely really costly on many cases, but they seem to be so when the stock gear ratios, etc are garbage lol To me, it is rarely worth putting the points towards more power because you won't get to use it properly, or get one less gear up top. Not desirable with all the straights everywhere in this game.

Edited by user Wednesday, May 13, 2020 3:24:34 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

#31 Posted : Wednesday, May 13, 2020 4:55:06 PM(UTC)
And thats fine, I was just correcting all the misinformation. I wasn't trying to personally attack anyone, i was trying to shed light to those who may not know. There is so much misinformation on this forum and its bad for the whole community. Thank you zipper for your testing to prove what I was saying. You initially asked if the difference was just from shift points, while yes shift points have something to do with it, there is a baked in loss in shift time when not running M+C also. I then just wanted to point out that the builds are also going to suffer if you are adding a race trans just to tune gears so that the auto shift points weren't as terrible which is far from the nonsensical remark posted on the reddit link that was supplied saying that they are purposely posting bad sets that look better on stats for downloads. It simply isn't true they are just better builds however those running auto arent seeing the potential of these builds because they are running auto. Most of the players that have been around for a while dont even look at the stats other than a quick reference. The real numbers lay in the horsepower, obv if a top pi C class car has 500 horsepower it is going to be a missle and not a grip tune, whereas the same car having say 225 hp is obv going to be much more grip oriented.

You're welcome to think what you want, but using a car with unusual upgrade characteristics - then failing to account for them - doesn't prove anything. Shift speed, shift points, and powerband utilization matter a lot more than apittance in PI you can get by going with a Sport transmission or lower.

Using manual+clutch, you might beat the shift speed of a race clutch + race transmission. You obviously think you are. You're not getting any of the benefits of gear tuning, though, and that matters.

As for the impact of ratings, just look at the downloads. Again, people using lower-tier transmissions have much-higher ratings thanks to the bad calc. The cars aren't better, most players just see two builds with the same stats, one of which has better accel & launch ratings due to a lower-tier transmission. Higher ratings get more downloads, period. It's not because the car is better, and definitely not for the majority of players who don't use manual+clutch, just that the ratings are. And the ratings are garbage.
 2 users liked this post.
#32 Posted : Friday, May 15, 2020 3:50:59 AM(UTC)
So, I have read every post within this thread. There are people commenting in here that are long time players of the Forza series and know exactly what they are talking about. So, I will weigh in on this.

I tune a lot, I have a lot of very high rated tunes along with a high amount of downloads. I tune with the race transmission on just about every single tune that I have shared. I tune each gear for each car. I spend a lot of time watching the telemetry and making sure that I get the most hp & torque out of each shift in every one of my tunes. It is also lower in weight.

I like to believe that the higher ratings on my tunes are due to the fact that the tune is actually better. I also tune to make sure that if you were to take one of my tunes in to the lobbies you will enjoy the tune and do well.

Overall, what I have read in this thread the discussion has really gone off of topic from the initial post. There are some very talented and experienced people commenting in this thread that are telling you facts within the Forza series. Whether you believe it or not is not up to anyone other than yourself.

AKA: SP01LED JAM1E.
Twitter = @PTG_Jamie
 2 users liked this post.
#33 Posted : Friday, May 15, 2020 7:47:15 AM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: MyGamingID Go to Quoted Post

You're welcome to think what you want, but using a car with unusual upgrade characteristics - then failing to account for them - doesn't prove anything. Shift speed, shift points, and powerband utilization matter a lot more than apittance in PI you can get by going with a Sport transmission or lower.

Using manual+clutch, you might beat the shift speed of a race clutch + race transmission. You obviously think you are. You're not getting any of the benefits of gear tuning, though, and that matters.

As for the impact of ratings, just look at the downloads. Again, people using lower-tier transmissions have much-higher ratings thanks to the bad calc. The cars aren't better, most players just see two builds with the same stats, one of which has better accel & launch ratings due to a lower-tier transmission. Higher ratings get more downloads, period. It's not because the car is better, and definitely not for the majority of players who don't use manual+clutch, just that the ratings are. And the ratings are garbage.

What are you talking about having unusual upgrade characteristics? I dont fail to account for them, the problem here is you are caught up on the stat ratings. I dont care about stat ratings, as they arent really useful to your credit. Regarding shift speed this is completely negated when running manual with clutch (no the shift speeds arent faster, they are just equal to that of race clutch and race trans), not sure why you are having a hard time understanding that. Has been this way since either Forza Motorsport 1 or 2, I can remember offhand. Yes utilization of the powerband is very important which is why the need for a transmission needs to be tested on a layout by layout basis depending on car. There are plenty of cars where the gearing is good enough and upgrading the transmission to a race just have to custom gears isn't worth wasting the pi points, when they could be used instead on additional grip etc.

I wont disagree the stats are dumb, but as I was saying the stats mean nothing. The stats and pi have always favored high speed, where in reality acceleration is the most important stat. This can be seen especially in motorsport with the "rocket" cars (Alfa33, the muscle cars, etc) so much to the point that they ended up having to nerf cars. For example i want to say fm4 or 5 i cant remember which had the 86 (cant remember the year off the top of my head) camaro that was a lb car for pretty much every track across 3 or 4 classes due to its acclleration. IIRC the car had a top speed of like 120ish mph, used a stock gearbox (4 speed) that you would literally just drive around the track slamming it off the rev limiter, but you were at top speed so fast this was still much faster than any other option even tho it had a relatively low top speed, mediocre handling, but it got to top speed so fast that it was easily the fastest car. Yes, the stats are broken but that doesnt mean that people putting setups out with a lesser transmission for downloads. In their testing, whereever their preferred test site is, it was probably actually faster. Downloads pretty much mean nothing to the tuners in most cases, it is likely that they came out with something they felt that others should try. Maybe you just arent using the cars for their intended purpose when built/tuned. Maybe because you are handicapping yourself by running auto, you arent realizing the potential of the vehicles. There are a list of reasons that the tuner may not be using the race transmission and i can guarantee most of them do not include trying to trick the end user into downloads. Whenever i tuned I never looked at stats other than grip as thats the only one that has any meaning, and i would just use it as a ballpark number to see if its a viable option for the layout i was going to attempt.

Edited by user Friday, May 15, 2020 7:48:12 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

PTG Home

Race Team
Tester
Tuner
#34 Posted : Monday, July 6, 2020 2:00:21 AM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: Shemp4Victory Go to Quoted Post
Whatever works best for you!
I drive with AT no TCS or STM

But tune the gear ratios to my advantage.
Let the car do all the work

Obviously you are free to do whatever you you'd like but by doing that you are leaving a ton of time on the table for 2 reasons. In most cars upgrading the gearbox is too expensive of an upgrade and makes the car slower. The auto transmission is very poor and does not optimize shift points so you are likely spending a lot of time outside the power band.

This gave me a good laugh. "..and makes the car slower.." According to the ingame bars mybe and mybe if you don`t have any idea of what you are doing. Any upgrade might be a waste if it`s misused in the right place. A sport- or race tranny is in most cases the key to tune a car into a real racer but yeah it might be a bit expensive on PI`s. Funny though, adding a (adjustable) sports-tranny actually reduces PI on some cars. (= a must!)

AT is for cruising, MT is for driving cars. AT`s migh do wery good IRL though when prepped up, too bad they cant be hotted up & adjusted in the game, would be quite easy to do.
Gt: fairlane305
#35 Posted : Monday, July 6, 2020 2:03:32 AM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: ziperrPL Go to Quoted Post
I'm suprised that stock gearbox (car4 and car3) was faster than upgraded ones, but on the other hand it was always one gear less to shift. Maybe better usage of power/torque curve. But rest is not a suprise. Maybe if you setup race gearbox (every gear) better it could shave some time. But it would be still slower than any manual.

The Galant is a car with weird gearbox options. The stock gearbox on the Galant has closer ratios than the street, sport, and race transmissions, so it will almost always be faster by default. Also, only the race transmission has a shift speed benefit. Stock should handily beat street and sport without tuning.

Noticed that race gearboxes are 100% adjustable? Meaning you can adjust the ratio to exact to the actual engine setup or track or..

#36 Posted : Monday, July 6, 2020 5:18:22 AM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: unfairlane64 Go to Quoted Post
I'm suprised that stock gearbox (car4 and car3) was faster than upgraded ones, but on the other hand it was always one gear less to shift. Maybe better usage of power/torque curve. But rest is not a suprise. Maybe if you setup race gearbox (every gear) better it could shave some time. But it would be still slower than any manual.

The Galant is a car with weird gearbox options. The stock gearbox on the Galant has closer ratios than the street, sport, and race transmissions, so it will almost always be faster by default. Also, only the race transmission has a shift speed benefit. Stock should handily beat street and sport without tuning.

Noticed that race gearboxes are 100% adjustable? Meaning you can adjust the ratio to exact to the actual engine setup or track or..

Ok. This is exactly my point, and someday maybe you will learn. In many cases the race gearbox uses up costly pi for minimal gains. If the race gearbox costs say 10pi this could be the difference in sport tyres and race tyres. Depending on track/layout this upgrade or some other upgrade is often much more valuable than an adjustable gearbox. So yes, this would make the car slower. Build is the #1 most important thing in all forza games since as long as I have been playing. There are def cases where a race gearbox is going to be the best build but I am telling you this is not as common as everyone thinks. But sure, keep running race gearbox because you like having adjustable gears over a car with more grip/power/less weight/etc. Those guys are definitely pulling the wool over your eyes and sharing junk sets because the stats look good....

PTG Home

Race Team
Tester
Tuner
#37 Posted : Monday, July 6, 2020 5:18:29 AM(UTC)
error, double post

Edited by user Monday, July 6, 2020 6:04:06 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

PTG Home

Race Team
Tester
Tuner
#38 Posted : Monday, July 6, 2020 5:18:34 AM(UTC)
error triple post

Edited by user Monday, July 6, 2020 6:04:20 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

PTG Home

Race Team
Tester
Tuner
#39 Posted : Monday, July 6, 2020 6:01:14 AM(UTC)
error quad post

Edited by user Monday, July 6, 2020 6:05:10 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

PTG Home

Race Team
Tester
Tuner
#40 Posted : Monday, July 6, 2020 11:50:24 PM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: unfairlane64 Go to Quoted Post

Ok. This is exactly my point, and someday maybe you will learn. In many cases the race gearbox uses up costly pi for minimal gains. If the race gearbox costs say 10pi this could be the difference in sport tyres and race tyres. Depending on track/layout this upgrade or some other upgrade is often much more valuable than an adjustable gearbox. So yes, this would make the car slower. Build is the #1 most important thing in all forza games since as long as I have been playing. There are def cases where a race gearbox is going to be the best build but I am telling you this is not as common as everyone thinks. But sure, keep running race gearbox because you like having adjustable gears over a car with more grip/power/less weight/etc. Those guys are definitely pulling the wool over your eyes and sharing junk sets because the stats look good....

Maybe I will learn? You`re funny. Again; any part can be misused by unskilled "tuners", gearboxes too. The main rule is; smaller high revving engines needs a lot of gears to stay in their powerband while bigger engines (with a wide torque-range) do not. Like a Harley vs a 500ccm R-bike
#41 Posted : Monday, July 20, 2020 5:03:43 PM(UTC)
As and old tuner (FM2, 4, 5, 6, and 7.) who once was somewhat noted member of the tuning community I decided to drop my 2 cents.
And as I prefer to have some proof behind what I say I decided to do a little test.
Therefore I bought a car, and made 2 builds on it.

As I havnt driven that much during past year. (I'm just returning from allmost 2 year brake in Forza games) I opted to to take something easy to drive so MX-5 in C class, and Laguna seca sounded good enough combination. but anyway, back to the test.

One with clutch and transmission https://gamerdvr.com/gam...naut/screenshot/17992733
and one without them https://gamerdvr.com/gam...naut/screenshot/17992767
As you can see there is 12lbs weight difference, 10hp power difference, and the lower powered car has slightly skinnier tires. as the one without transmission had room for wider rear tires.

Now at this point I have to admit that the build or the tune isnt anything that special just a decent build, and base tune. Only difference in the tunes are in gearing, other is stock, other is fully tuned race transmission.
Both cars were driven on manual with clutch.

The one with gearbox posted time of 1:43.185 And I was pushing quite hard so it ended up being dirty. I didnt really lose any time, I more likely gained time https://gamerdvr.com/gam...naut/screenshot/17992608
The one with more power, and wider rear tires posted 1:41.972 and that was clean. It was allso more stable to drive thanks to those wider tires. https://gamerdvr.com/gam...naut/screenshot/17992910

I did couple laps to heat up the tires, and then I started recording. How ever as I'm writing this those replays havn't yet uploaded to web, but they will be on my DVR sooner or later.

Anyhow I do agree to a point with unfairlane, Smaller engines with narrow powerband are the most likely engines to benefit from gearbox upgrades, and of course you should take gearbox upgrade if it lowers the PI How ever, Manual with clutch, has been fastest way to drive since it was introduced, How ever there is cars where manual is just as fast, or possibly even faster than manual+clutch. Those cars are the actual modern race cars, Such as LMP's, Indy cars, F1 cars, touring cars etc.

Proud member of Hard Luck Racing.

If your time isn't on HC board, it means nothing.

Mr. Oddball
Beat me with lotus, No big deal. Beat me with SUV, you have earned my respect
#42 Posted : Monday, July 20, 2020 5:03:58 PM(UTC)
Error Double post, And then I notice that I'm in FH4 section... Oh well... You probably get the point I'm making anyway.

Edited by user Monday, July 20, 2020 5:06:37 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Proud member of Hard Luck Racing.

If your time isn't on HC board, it means nothing.

Mr. Oddball
Beat me with lotus, No big deal. Beat me with SUV, you have earned my respect
#43 Posted : Thursday, July 30, 2020 10:59:24 AM(UTC)
If you swap 3.0 V8 there is no problem to make it S998 or X999.

Isuckatdriving is using manual with clutch.
If you use AWD swapped vehicle or stock drivetrain with installed race parts for gearbox/clutch there shouldn't be any difference in gear changing time. Despite that automatic is shifthing earlier, so possible a bit slower than manual. Biggest difference between A, M and M+C would be seen with stock cars.

This is false it is almost always faster/better to run manual with clutch or at the bare minimum manual. 2 reasons, control of gear shifts. @2nd, manual with clutch negates the clutch upgrade and allows you to use the pi points in other areas the car needs instead. Manual with clutch is faster in pretty much every car from the lowest class to a. Many of the S cars and above already have an upgraded clutch so its just as quick to run manual.

Remap the clutch button to a so you can just hit the up and downshift at the same time as the clutch and its pretty much the same as driving manual.

The rule in this game, like actual racing is the less assists the better. So driving manual with clutch is faster AND allows for better cornering with less chance of spinning out.

I know it's kind difficult to drive manual with a controller so when using one I play automatic transmission but when I'm using my seat with wheel pedals and shifter I go manual. Downshifting before a turn is more smooth when driving manual and lets you corner better and your exit will also be better because when using automatic there is always a small delay.
#44 Posted : Thursday, July 30, 2020 10:59:40 AM(UTC)

If you use AWD swapped vehicle or stock drivetrain with installed race parts for gearbox/clutch there shouldn't be any difference in gear changing time. Despite that automatic is shifthing earlier, so possible a bit slower than manual. Biggest difference between A, M and M+C would be seen with stock cars.

This is false it is almost always faster/better to run manual with clutch or at the bare minimum manual. 2 reasons, control of gear shifts. @2nd, manual with clutch negates the clutch upgrade and allows you to use the pi points in other areas the car needs instead. Manual with clutch is faster in pretty much every car from the lowest class to a. Many of the S cars and above already have an upgraded clutch so its just as quick to run manual.

Remap the clutch button to a so you can just hit the up and downshift at the same time as the clutch and its pretty much the same as driving manual.

#45 Posted : Thursday, July 30, 2020 10:59:48 AM(UTC)

#46 Posted : Thursday, July 30, 2020 11:00:04 AM(UTC)

#47 Posted : Thursday, July 30, 2020 11:00:20 AM(UTC)

#48 Posted : Thursday, July 30, 2020 11:16:06 AM(UTC)

#49 Posted : Thursday, July 30, 2020 11:16:13 AM(UTC)

#50 Posted : Saturday, August 22, 2020 2:05:23 PM(UTC)

Not true, if transmission is quick enough it can be slower to run MC since there's an additional input. Drivetrain conversions will default to the fastest shifting speeds. Most AWD cars are converted from RWD, so they run the fastest transmission available and the fastest times are achieved with manual.

However, the difference is very low so feel free to use MC out of convenience.
May the forced induction be with you.

Alice >>>>>>>>>> Keira
2 Pages12Prev

Notification

Icon
Error