This site uses cookies for analytics and personalized content. By continuing to browse this site, you agree to this use. Learn more
7 Pages<<23456>>PrevNext
#76 Posted : Thursday, April 9, 2020 3:24:23 AM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: FullNietzsche Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: STR3LA Go to Quoted Post
But, you are aware that you can waste your time even when doing something you like?

By definition, if you enjoy your time then it is not wasted.

Quote:

Most if not every chore leads to some rewards. Irl or in virtual word. Most people will also feel they are waisting their time doing chores. We are not reinventing the wheel here.

So we're agreed it's an unenjoyable chore, but the rewards are enjoyable. A bit like going to work in a job you dislike (ie. most people) for the reward of being able to keep a roof over your head. That makes sense, but for me it makes no sense to get another car I don't care about and is only arbitrarily 'rare' because it's locked behind this chore.

It is hard for me to get my head round the devs doing these pointless updates when they fail to fix the MAJOR flaws with the game people have been complaining about for months.

What definition? I have a dead end on my project but decide to go on the beach. I am wasting my time. There are tons of other examples. So I am asking again, what definition?
If you don't care don't do it. Where's the problem?
Why are you wondering that devs are following their own schedules instead of yours? And surprise people are different! Something may be pointless to you but fun for others.
 2 users liked this post.
#77 Posted : Thursday, April 9, 2020 3:36:00 AM(UTC)
But, you are aware that you can waste your time even when doing something you like?

By definition, if you enjoy your time then it is not wasted.

Quote:

Most if not every chore leads to some rewards. Irl or in virtual word. Most people will also feel they are waisting their time doing chores. We are not reinventing the wheel here.

So we're agreed it's an unenjoyable chore, but the rewards are enjoyable. A bit like going to work in a job you dislike (ie. most people) for the reward of being able to keep a roof over your head. That makes sense, but for me it makes no sense to get another car I don't care about and is only arbitrarily 'rare' because it's locked behind this chore.

It is hard for me to get my head round the devs doing these pointless updates when they fail to fix the MAJOR flaws with the game people have been complaining about for months.

What definition? I have a dead end on my project but decide to go on the beach. I am wasting my time. There are tons of other examples. So I am asking again, what definition?
If you don't care don't do it. Where's the problem?
Why are you wondering that devs are following their own schedules instead of yours? And surprise people are different! Something may be pointless to you but fun for others.

It looks like I am wasting my time trying to explain the logic that if one ENJOYS doing something then it, by logical definition, CANNOT BE a 'waste of time'. It's an oxymoron.

And you've already acknowledged that photographing hundreds of cars in this game is not fun.

I doubt one person finds the actual activity in and of itself to be fun.

You find going to the beach fun, which is why you go to the beach. It's why you went to the beach and not to an industrial estate or some waste ground somewhere. That wouldn't have been fun.

You went somewhere to do what you enjoy doing. Doing that thing IS ITS OWN REWARD. Taking photos in this game mode is not its own reward, it is a busywork roadblock to the actual reward you want.
 3 users liked this post.
#78 Posted : Thursday, April 9, 2020 3:53:56 AM(UTC)

Yes, even if taking photos is the thing in the game someone enjoys the most, they'll still most likely not enjoy simply grinding out photos of 200 cars in the shortest amount of time possible. To the extent that I've enjoyed taking photos in the game, I've enjoyed spending time trying to make good photos, not cranking out lots of terrible photos fast. Same in real life - I enjoy photography, but if someone told me to capture photos of 200 different cars in real life, I'd want paying to do it.

Doing chores for rewards is a thing in real life, of course, but the purpose of a game is to not be like real life. If the game were like real life, most of us would only have one car in the game and would never be able to do enough chores to earn a Ferrari etc.
#79 Posted : Thursday, April 9, 2020 4:15:27 AM(UTC)
Yeah, it was a little late in the game to add such a feature. This I see having a lowest completion rate.
2009 Mustang GT/CS #1,260 of 1,705
#231 of 315 Vapor Silver Coupes
Flowmasters BBK Headers Comp Cams
Airaid CAI PowerStop Brakes Dyno Tune 325rwhp
 1 user liked this post.
#80 Posted : Thursday, April 9, 2020 4:17:56 AM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: XCELRATE Go to Quoted Post
Yeah, it was a little late in the game to add such a feature. This I see having a lowest completion rate.

We can check achievements later. It could beat Eliminator :D

#81 Posted : Thursday, April 9, 2020 4:43:37 AM(UTC)
Hi - how do you capture photos of cars you do not own?
#82 Posted : Thursday, April 9, 2020 4:51:58 AM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: RR1742 Go to Quoted Post
Hi - how do you capture photos of cars you do not own?

You can cruise around and wait. Or you can create race for them. Good fun both.
#83 Posted : Thursday, April 9, 2020 5:08:12 AM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: AquaPainter168 Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: DaReoCharmer Go to Quoted Post
Took all day! But I did finish...

No wonder your avatar wears glasses..lol.

Working from home has its advantages! Not gonna say I enjoyed it because I didn't lol but I won't have to worry about it now
Forza junkie since FM2. Horizons are the break I need from the track

Check me out on Mixer! www.mixer.com/dareocharmer
#84 Posted : Thursday, April 9, 2020 5:17:58 AM(UTC)
The problem with time is it's limited. If you learn something today you can be very successful after this crisis. Doing chores is not the best now :D
 6 users liked this post.
#85 Posted : Thursday, April 9, 2020 5:30:16 AM(UTC)
Wow, taking hundreds of photos with the long loading times of the game: Great addition to the franchise.

Here are some exciting new ideas for the devs:

1. Driving backwards for 500 miles - How is that for fun?
2. The floor is lava - 700 jumps with DIFFERENT cars, yeah, this one is for the veterans who have a full car park
3. The break is on - listen to a radio channel without moving your car for 10 hours.... developers could implement random questions like "what were the 3 last songs played" so that we actually have to pay attention
4. Colorful summer - change the color of your car 500 times. This means going to the festival, changing color, going back to the streets and rinse repeat! Oh I love that one... so exciting
5. The floor is water - drive 500 miles on water like rivers or lakes

What other exciting and interesting challenges do you guys propose for the devs?
Requirements:
- should have nothing to do with racing
- should take a load of time
- bonus points for looking at the loading screen often

Don't you love Horizon, too? Great unconventional ideas that really take only a couple of hours of your gaming fun.
 1 user liked this post.
#86 Posted : Thursday, April 9, 2020 5:42:39 AM(UTC)
For those people saying that it's a waste of time.. yes it is.

Game designers (that would be me) have to come up with tasks that are fun, and related to the game itself. You don't really want too much repetition either. If you think of a race, it is very random, in fact it is hard to take the same bend the same way each time, and the other cars complicate all that. As a game designer working on a driving game you should use a race as your template for what people wanted to see in their game. FH4 is a bit more complicated, because you have artists, and tuners, drifters, record breakers, and stunt drivers to account for as well.

If you are going to add photography to a task you should take away the repetition. You can do that by looking at the lorries that entered the game for the Eliminator update. Lots of people went out of their way to photograph these rare lorries. So you could have a task where people have to photograph some rare aspects of the game, like certain locations. A camera has an XYZ position, and a landscape has an XYZ position, and all a programmer has to do is draw a line from the camera to the landscape position to test that it is in the image, and not too far away.

Instead of 200 of those tasks, you just have 20.

I just wanted to post an example of what a game designer can come up with, and their knowledge of how to program it.

Edited by user Friday, April 10, 2020 1:57:42 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

1 user liked this post.
#87 Posted : Thursday, April 9, 2020 6:16:37 AM(UTC)
Am I the only one who thought the numbers should have been higher? Say 250 for the Ferrari and 500 for the Porsche? I completed the 2 cars within 30 minutes and now have Promo turned off never to do it again. Sure it's cool to get it done fast but for something "new to the game" it was to quick. Kinda of like the eliminator how the Cougar was towards the end and not 30% through.
 1 user liked this post.
#88 Posted : Thursday, April 9, 2020 6:32:09 AM(UTC)
It looks like I am wasting my time trying to explain the logic that if one ENJOYS doing something then it, by logical definition, CANNOT BE a 'waste of time'. It's an oxymoron.

And you've already acknowledged that photographing hundreds of cars in this game is not fun.

You find going to the beach fun, which is why you go to the beach. It's why you went to the beach and not to an industrial estate or some waste ground somewhere. That wouldn't have been fun.

You went somewhere to do what you enjoy doing. Doing that thing IS ITS OWN REWARD. Taking photos in this game mode is not its own reward, it is a busywork roadblock to the actual reward you want.

Look I really don't want to stretch this anymore. But.. You can waste your time while still enjoying the activities. Like when you are lazy and stay in bed the whole morning. It's not an oxymoron. You are more trying to convince me than explaining anything.

I know a few of them that are actually happy for this feature. I personally don't care. I am still happy for them. This was also clearly not meant to be a rush thing. The rewards are the cars and other things. Somebody will get those rewards naturaly simply by playing as always, others will rush ending with a chore feeling. Nothing is ultimate just because you believe it.
#89 Posted : Thursday, April 9, 2020 7:18:01 AM(UTC)
Just came here to mention the drag race idea where you can get 12 cars in one pic, of course some of you already figured that out. :)

By doing one or two races with each category I got 200 pics in an hour or so - and I actually finished all the races. Use the strip at the festival as it's one of the shortest. Couple hints: pick a high PI car for each race so you have a better chance at getting more variety in cars but it's worth doing a second race with lower PI cars when there are quite a few available. Of course, that's if you want to just have random grids, setting up races for certain cars is really the way to go, especially when you want to get those PO cars that you don't own.

I personally liked this feature in the previous games, just wish it would have been here from the start because it does feel like a bit of a grind now. Though they should add back in needing to get the traffic cars as well, that made it a bit more interesting. Was it just FH2 that had that?
#90 Posted : Thursday, April 9, 2020 7:34:42 AM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: fastford16 Go to Quoted Post
Just came here to mention the drag race idea where you can get 12 cars in one pic
I hadn't realised you could blueprint drag races! Wish I'd know before I spent hours doing the share codes for each category, where you need a couple of shots most times. Duh!

#91 Posted : Thursday, April 9, 2020 9:25:38 AM(UTC)
Just had the 'Now Available' screen where it says Horizon Promo is 'back by popular demand'... is that true?

More to the point, if they care about 'popular demand', why haven't they done the other things people have asked for a lot more than I've ever heard anyone ask for this photo-taking busywork.

Why not let us turn the music off, by popular demand? Why not fix the months-broken ranking system, by popular demand?

Edited by user Thursday, April 9, 2020 9:27:38 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

1 user liked this post.
#92 Posted : Friday, April 10, 2020 1:53:55 AM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: fastford16 Go to Quoted Post
Just came here to mention the drag race idea where you can get 12 cars in one pic, of course some of you already figured that out. :)

By doing one or two races with each category I got 200 pics in an hour or so - and I actually finished all the races. Use the strip at the festival as it's one of the shortest. Couple hints: pick a high PI car for each race so you have a better chance at getting more variety in cars but it's worth doing a second race with lower PI cars when there are quite a few available. Of course, that's if you want to just have random grids, setting up races for certain cars is really the way to go, especially when you want to get those PO cars that you don't own.

I personally liked this feature in the previous games, just wish it would have been here from the start because it does feel like a bit of a grind now. Though they should add back in needing to get the traffic cars as well, that made it a bit more interesting. Was it just FH2 that had that?

Going for all 685 cars now and this works brilliantly. I choose 50 uncaptured cars at random and run the race a few times, switching cars in between. When the AI cars start to repeat themselves, I create a new Blueprint with cars that are still left. Rinse and repeat. The numbers really rack up doing this.

Edited by user Friday, April 10, 2020 1:54:54 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

2 users liked this post.
#93 Posted : Friday, April 10, 2020 3:04:35 AM(UTC)
the hardest one was to take a picture of the "Owens".
686 photos

Edited by user Friday, April 10, 2020 3:05:13 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

#94 Posted : Friday, April 10, 2020 3:09:59 AM(UTC)
congratulation!
but you're crazy. ;-)
#95 Posted : Friday, April 10, 2020 3:28:15 AM(UTC)
Damn, now those cameras are annoying over all the cars that I didn't bother with, plus they have used it as an excuse to add the Lego cars to the Ai races.
#96 Posted : Friday, April 10, 2020 4:36:53 AM(UTC)
How did you get the Owens in a picture?
#97 Posted : Friday, April 10, 2020 5:45:32 AM(UTC)
create "only Mclaren" races and repeat, repeat and repeat.
 1 user liked this post.
#98 Posted : Friday, April 10, 2020 6:00:09 AM(UTC)
People are complaining about the prizes....they wanted more cars ...I guess....at 100 and 200 photos...we got new cars ....it would be nice if we got new cars at 300, 400, 500, and 600 too...I can't wait to see what the creators of the game have...planned next...I really want to see the 1974 Toyota Celica GT come back in the game and it would be cool to see the debut of the Toyota Supra Mark V!
 1 user liked this post.
#99 Posted : Friday, April 10, 2020 7:33:16 AM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: BIG DAP PACINO Go to Quoted Post
it would be nice if we got new cars at 300, 400, 500, and 600 too

Please no. Don't encourage them to inflict more busywork on people.
#100 Posted : Friday, April 10, 2020 8:47:23 AM(UTC)
I personally never minded it in FH2 + 3 and am ok with doing it here, but it is so clearly an afterthought or an act of desperation from PG, otherwise if they thought it was something worth your while it would have been included in the game at launch.
7 Pages<<23456>>PrevNext

Notification

Icon
Error