This site uses cookies for analytics and personalized content. By continuing to browse this site, you agree to this use. Learn more
#1 Posted : Thursday, September 12, 2019 8:11:57 AM(UTC)
Why don't steering wheels work well on FH4? Is FH3 even fun?
#2 Posted : Thursday, September 12, 2019 9:50:06 AM(UTC)
I have Logitech G920. Can't compete with steering wheel, trial or the most of races is not posibble to win. You can just drive around Britain, for fun.

Try F1 2018, except city circuits (too much turns), it is better game for steering wheel. And also Motorsport 7 is better than FH4.

Already tried lot of settings, but controller is smarter.
#3 Posted : Thursday, September 12, 2019 10:04:22 AM(UTC)
A car game that doesn't work well behind the wheel, what a missed opportunity ...
#4 Posted : Thursday, September 12, 2019 10:53:56 AM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: Tato 790709 Go to Quoted Post
I have Logitech G920. Can't compete with steering wheel, trial or the most of races is not posibble to win. You can just drive around Britain, for fun.

I have a Logitech G920; that's all I use. I play "Unbeatable" and win most of the time. I guess this is one of those issues where "your mileage may vary".
Sometimes I wrestle with my demons... sometimes, we just snuggle.
#5 Posted : Thursday, September 12, 2019 1:37:42 PM(UTC)
I've won and placed well in online races on a wheel at 900 degrees in FH4. Your tune has to be good.
#6 Posted : Thursday, September 12, 2019 3:05:53 PM(UTC)
If you haven't seen this yet, I'd suggest you give it a read. Most issues users experiences with wheels involve wheel setup and tuning, and even car tuning setup, which can have a huge impact on what you feel though the wheel.

Forza Horizon 4 Wheel Users Guide
#7 Posted : Wednesday, September 18, 2019 7:07:04 AM(UTC)
I have a G27 on a PC. I am not a great driver, but I have some experience with various sims.

I love using the wheel on ‘simulation’ when doing most races (including seasonal races)
However, once things get crazy (insane jumps or other otherworldly feats) I tend to either switch steering to ‘normal’ (as recovering from a jump can be a bit trickier on simulation) or I pick up a controller and switch to normal (and switch to the camera behind the car).

Controller for drifting and sometimes for Forzathon Live events or anytime I prefer to lay down on the couch and chill while driving.

My advise would be to switch around wheel/controller, drivatar difficulty and assists for each race to maximize entertainment and excitement (or just to make sure you can win).
#8 Posted : Wednesday, September 18, 2019 12:54:46 PM(UTC)
My wheel is a Thrustmaster T500, Handbrake is a Thrustmaster Sparco. The shifter is a Thrustmaster and Pedals are Fanatec Clubsport V3..Ok, now I ride this with 2x Butt kicker gamers (these are audio transducers for those who don't know, they vibrate to UDP telemetry data) along with MSI DS502 headphones which also have audio transducers in them, throw in a 200mhz 21:9 35 inch monitor in a comer desk configuration with all the colored lights. All this....Off the charts sick my friends. No driver aids in game including ABS and I just love it. I love to drive, so give yourself a treat, get a wheel, read up on settings and bob will be your uncle. Oh...….. and yes steering wheels do work great in FH4. FH3. yes if you want it all but no udp support for the older FH3 though. Too bad. I'd buy it in a heart beat.

Desk
Desktop
Cheers

Edited by user Wednesday, September 18, 2019 3:50:41 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

#9 Posted : Wednesday, September 18, 2019 11:03:25 PM(UTC)

I have just bought Logitech G920 after playing FH4 on a keyboard. I could play everyting but drifting, as I could initiate the drift but not hold it for very long time, so I decided to buy a wheel, thinking it will be easier.
It is not!

But the problem lies more with the fact that using wheel, while being much easier in one way (tiny corrections, feathering throttle, ...) it is also much harder in another way. There is this weird sudden spin that happens when cornering and the most difficult part of it is recovery. But I have been analysing my driving and I think a large part of the reason for it is my driving. Keyboard commands are full left/right and full gas/brake and I think the game allows more freedom if one is playing on a keyboard. Like I said, the wheel offers you more freedom in fine corrections and I also think the game demands that if one is playing with a wheel.

The first dirt or cross country race are very good at pointing that out. There are few corners in both races where I spun countless times, until I realised I simply can't drive them with large throttle inputs and jerky wheel corrections. I really have to use the freedom of slight correntions the wheel is offering me, but that also makes it more demanding, compared to keyboard driving.

I asked the support for optimal setup for my wheel and received an answer that did help me some. There is still the part where I have to become better in driving, slight changes in wheel setup or car tuning, but now I can at least compete in story races. I have yet to try drifting and I am dreading it and I also haven't played against other players with the wheel, but I believe with mileage I will become better, if not the best :).

Settings for G920 that made my experience better:

FFB 80
Spring and damper 0
FFB understeer 100
FFB min force 70
Vibration 0

I am still exploring and tweaking the setup, especially the correlation between Logitech gaming software setup and in-game setup, and I will have to jump into car setup at some point, but my experience is better not, compared to few days ago, when I first used my wheel.
#10 Posted : Thursday, September 19, 2019 6:34:33 AM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: Shaikul Kai Go to Quoted Post

I have just bought Logitech G920 after playing FH4 on a keyboard. I could play everyting but drifting, as I could initiate the drift but not hold it for very long time, so I decided to buy a wheel, thinking it will be easier.
It is not!

But the problem lies more with the fact that using wheel, while being much easier in one way (tiny corrections, feathering throttle, ...) it is also much harder in another way. There is this weird sudden spin that happens when cornering and the most difficult part of it is recovery. But I have been analysing my driving and I think a large part of the reason for it is my driving. Keyboard commands are full left/right and full gas/brake and I think the game allows more freedom if one is playing on a keyboard. Like I said, the wheel offers you more freedom in fine corrections and I also think the game demands that if one is playing with a wheel.

The first dirt or cross country race are very good at pointing that out. There are few corners in both races where I spun countless times, until I realised I simply can't drive them with large throttle inputs and jerky wheel corrections. I really have to use the freedom of slight correntions the wheel is offering me, but that also makes it more demanding, compared to keyboard driving.

I asked the support for optimal setup for my wheel and received an answer that did help me some. There is still the part where I have to become better in driving, slight changes in wheel setup or car tuning, but now I can at least compete in story races. I have yet to try drifting and I am dreading it and I also haven't played against other players with the wheel, but I believe with mileage I will become better, if not the best :).

FFB 80
Spring and damper 0
FFB understeer 100
FFB min force 70
Vibration 0

I am still exploring and tweaking the setup, especially the correlation between Logitech gaming software setup and in-game setup, and I will have to jump into car setup at some point, but my experience is better not, compared to few days ago, when I first used my wheel.

"this weird sudden spin that happens when cornering" that your talking about is called a "Snap Spin". As near as I can tell it's caused when breaking traction in the rear only to have it suddenly grip and toss you in the other direction making "Catching up the wheel in the direction of travel" almost impossible. usually when lifting the throttle. Poor setup can also contribute to this.

I think you FFB settings are OK except for the FFB Min force. If I'm not mistaken this setting deals with the weight of the wheel. This will not effect the forces only how heavy the wheel feels. Try backing this off until you have a good feel.

Sometimes in the throw of a "Snap Spin" you might encounter the dreaded "Fish tail Spiral" This is where you start fish tailing and it gets worse and worse till you spin out, during which you try as hard as you can to correct the spin or catch it as it's referred to. Even with my skill, It takes fast hands to pull out of this. To this day, it still bites me from time to time but for the most part I stay on top of it.

Good luck with your driving, take you car to the rail yard, lots of room there to practice drifting. Oh ya one more thing, the use of the hand brake to drift with a wheel I would consider this to be a requirement. But your mileage might vary.

Cheers
PACO572
#11 Posted : Thursday, September 19, 2019 8:08:36 AM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: Paco572 Go to Quoted Post

Sometimes in the throw of a "Snap Spin" you might encounter the dreaded "Fish tail Spiral" This is where you start fish tailing and it gets worse and worse till you spin out, during which you try as hard as you can to correct the spin or catch it as it's referred to. Even with my skill, It takes fast hands to pull out of this. To this day, it still bites me from time to time but for the most part I stay on top of it.

Down-shift. Sometimes it helps regain control.
Sometimes I wrestle with my demons... sometimes, we just snuggle.
 1 user liked this post.
#12 Posted : Friday, September 20, 2019 8:41:51 AM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: Shaikul Kai Go to Quoted Post

(snipped)

FFB 80
Spring and damper 0
FFB understeer 100
FFB min force 70
Vibration 0

Your FFB understeer setting is set to max (I believe 25/100 is the default). You may want to put that back to default. Also also suggest you take a closer look at how the car or cars you're having the most snap oversteer issues are set up in tuning. This has a major impact on wheel feedback.

From the FH4 Wheel Users Guide:

Many players incorrectly assume that FFB system or settings make a car understeer or oversteer more. This is not possible. Oversteer and understeer happen to the car at physics level and can be tuned by the player through the car’s tuning setup, not through the FFB settings. FFB is what you feel through your steering wheel from those physics effects, and is what helps you feel what is going on at a physics level, it does not affect the car’s behavior. In short, is your car too oversteery when you lift the throttle? Raise the differential deceleration; is your car too oversteery at apex and exit of corner? Stiffen your front spring or antiroll bar or both. And so on...

TIP: We strongly recommend that you leave FFB Understeer at its default setting, and that you don’t change it randomly if you are struggling with understeer or oversteer on the car you are currently driving. Again, if you have too much understeer/oversteer in your car, it is not the FFB that is doing it, it is the car setup. If you have far too much oversteer, change the setup of your car (spring, anti-roll bar, differential accel/decel, camber front/rear, toe, front/rear damper) to fix the issue and make the car drive as you like, same as when you want to fix understeer. Drifters may prefer to run understeer higher than default to have more alignment force (basically feels the same as having more caster).

Edited by user Friday, September 20, 2019 8:42:52 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Notification

Icon
Error