This site uses cookies for analytics and personalized content. By continuing to browse this site, you agree to this use. Learn more
45 Pages<<3637383940>>PrevNext
 1 user liked this post.
#926 Posted : Tuesday, June 2, 2020 1:17:51 PM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: HLR Moss Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: NobleBrick84228 Go to Quoted Post
Hi hope it's not too late to enter this comp.

GT: NobleBrick84228

Best time so far on Laguna Seca is a 1:33:893 using Fifty Inch's tune. Very smooth to drive and definitely a lot more time to be had out of it.

Welcome, and thanks for joining in. We'll get you added to our leaderboard, but could you let us know if you use a controller, or wheel, and which view you use (e.g. Chase Far, Bumper Cam etc.). Also expect some friemd requests so we can keep track of your times on the LB.

I'm using a controller on the PC.
 1 user liked this post.
#927 Posted : Tuesday, June 2, 2020 2:32:47 PM(UTC)
Improved time by just over a second. Now sitting at a 1:32:882. Really slammed on the brakes late at the corkscrew which seems to allow me to gain a little bit of time.

N.B. This game doesn't run well on any platform I'm getting about 150FPS on ultra settings at 1080p on PC but the menus are really slow and I still get occasional stutters in races. Hopefully forza 8 will be an improvement when it finally drops.
#928 Posted : Tuesday, June 2, 2020 8:02:44 PM(UTC)

which view you use (e.g. Chase Far, Bumper Cam etc.).

Thanks! How about the VIEW used? Again, thx!

PRKid

DJ Saoco
 1 user liked this post.
#929 Posted : Wednesday, June 3, 2020 4:44:43 AM(UTC)
I’ve failed miserably to put time into this again, sorry.
Can’t get on the XBOX, need to get kids sent back to school asap.
 1 user liked this post.
#930 Posted : Wednesday, June 3, 2020 6:10:31 AM(UTC)
Official time.... Laguna Seca...... HLR BURNINASPHALT..... Ford Mustang 16.... 1:37:670.... 😎

Let’s move on..... 😗
#931 Posted : Wednesday, June 3, 2020 11:40:06 AM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: HLR PRKid Go to Quoted Post

which view you use (e.g. Chase Far, Bumper Cam etc.).

Thanks! How about the VIEW used? Again, thx!

PRKid

I guess I use Chase near most of the time.

No assists, manual with clutch, Normal steering.

#932 Posted : Wednesday, June 3, 2020 11:56:11 AM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: sk15kev Go to Quoted Post
Can’t get on the XBOX, need to get kids sent back to school asap.

......😂😂.....🤪

DJ Saoco
 3 users liked this post.
#933 Posted : Wednesday, June 3, 2020 12:05:40 PM(UTC)
Welcome to our new driver NobleBrick84228.

Laguna Seca is a very popular track, and it was always going to be tough to place high with these cars. As expected, breaking into the top 100 was just beyond us, but at least the '16 Ford Shelby didn't steal all the glory. The '18 Mustang, '15 Falcon, '12 Camaro, and the '11 HSV GTS all performed well

xAlea took first place driving the '15 Falcon, with Soarer2JZTT in a close second. PRKid filled the final podium place with yet another impressive drive. xxJ0n4ThoNxx, and CostlessCape placed comfortably first in Tiers 2 and 3 respectively.

Congratulations to all our winners.

Here is a snapshot of the final standings:

Our winners:

Tier 1: xAlea Jacta Est wins a paint for his 2015 Ford Falcon GT F 351.

Tier 2: xxJ0n4Th0Nxx wins a paint for his 2016 Ford Shelby GT350R.

Tier 3: CostlessCape wins a paint for his 2016 Ford Shelby GT350R.

Tuners Prize: Fifty Inch wins a paint for his 2016 Ford Shelby GT350R.

To claim your paints, message HLR Moss to arrange it's sharing whilst you are waiting in the car to download. We don't want anyone else to grab them. They are each personalised for the winner and hopefully will provide you with a memory of the event.

For our next challenge we are off to Maple Valley to drive some early luxury sports cars. Good luck!

FM7, Series 3, Event 33
B Class (B600 Max)
Maple Valley Full Day
Restricted to any car in the Early Sport Luxury Division
Event will close at 9:00pm (UK time) on Wednesday, 10th June.

Prize Liveries for Tier winners and for the Tuner whose shared setup is placed highest when driven by another driver.

Everyone welcome.
Simply post your times in this thread. But please:
* Set your times in Rivals mode,
* Let us know which driving view you used,
* Let us know if you play with a wheel,
* Let us know if you drive Hardcore.

The Leaderboard can be found here: HLC Leaderboard

The Early Sport Luxury Cars
2003 Infiniti G35 Coupe
2003 Audi RS 6
2003 BMW M5
1995 BMW M5
1995 BMW 850CSi
1995 BMW 850CSi FE
1993 Porsche 928 GTS
1990 Jaguar XJ-S
1988 BMW M5
1986 BMW M635 CSi

I doubt any of the cars will be competitive. Let's see how high we can push them.
 1 user liked this post.
#934 Posted : Wednesday, June 3, 2020 12:05:57 PM(UTC)
Here are the Tiers for Event 33. Good Luck!

PRKid

Edited by user Wednesday, June 3, 2020 12:13:05 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

DJ Saoco
 2 users liked this post.
#935 Posted : Wednesday, June 3, 2020 12:58:12 PM(UTC)
Laguna Seca is a very popular track, and it was always going to be tough to place high with these cars. As expected, breaking into the top 100 was just beyond us, but at least the '16 Ford Shelby didn't steal all the glory. The '18 Mustang, '15 Falcon, '12 Camaro, and the '11 HSV GTS all performed well

The best car for me was the '11 HSV GTS, did around 30.3~30.4
 1 user liked this post.
#936 Posted : Wednesday, June 3, 2020 2:10:22 PM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: xAlea Jacta Est Go to Quoted Post

The best car for me was the '11 HSV GTS, did around 30.3~30.4

The fastest car for me was the '14 Falcon Ute with a 30.3 aswell.

Did not realise the deadline finished already thought it was tomorrow. I had a few cars on standby if anyone beat my lap that were quicker. I'm terrible with timezones lol.

Congrats to xAlea Jacta Est for the win. My '16 Ford Shelby build I used to get the 30.8 did not even have race suspension installed. It was terrible to drive lol. Just tuned the ARB, Diff and full downforce.

I test drove fifty inch's 16 Shelby tune shared and got under 30.5 on a few occasions in only a few laps. Great tune fifty.

This HLR Comp keeps the fun in Forza for me as I lost my motivation a long time ago and did not play this game for over 1 year. Still a bit off with the skills but getting there. Thank you HLR.

1 user liked this post.
#937 Posted : Wednesday, June 3, 2020 2:22:25 PM(UTC)
Had a quick run tonight in what I assume is an homologated tune as not full on B600 - 148.0 or there about in the Porsche 928.

Will have a go at making a B600 build tomorrow night and see where I place then. Already some strong times on the board compared to that at least, so got some work to do.
 1 user liked this post.
#938 Posted : Thursday, June 4, 2020 12:11:35 AM(UTC)
Just like to give a congrats on an awesome tune shared by Fifty Inch for the '16 Ford Shelby Mustang for Laguna.

Even though the comp ended I wanted to try to get into the Top 100 in the world overall.

Ran around 10 laps and was able to just sneak into the Top 100 (99th) with a new PB of 1:30.492. I should of ran it before the comp time closed to put some more pressure on xAlea Jacta Est lol.

Bring on Maple Valley one of my most hated tracks it's going to be a struggle for me.
 4 users liked this post.
#939 Posted : Thursday, June 4, 2020 1:03:40 PM(UTC)
Ok, so my first build of the 928 is interesting. If it had a name, it'd probably be the frothing lunatic or something like that. It's surprisingly fun to drive, it's just a little loose in the corners.

Driving it certainly is a risky business - I can hear the groans over the internet - sorry guys just couldn't resist that awful pun.

Going to try a different tyre, that was on the street tyre with race weight. See if a little more grip/ weight will bring it under control - could just as easily be my tuning. Usually I go all race from the get go but following last weeks run with the Mustang and getting better results with Fifty's build/ tune, trying a different approach.

Shared that tune just in case anyone else wants to try living dangerously lol. 1:45.470 is my current time, so need to improve from there. . . .

Edit;

Just tried a BMW 635 as seemed to think it had been good for me in career, got to say didn't fair any better - I think all these cars are out to get me.

Edited by user Thursday, June 4, 2020 2:29:26 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

2 users liked this post.
#940 Posted : Thursday, June 4, 2020 4:37:44 PM(UTC)
Glad I'm not the only one who's not crazy about Maple Valley. It was one of the best tracks in Forza 1, but that was a long time ago and we have much, much better options now.

Anyways, running with a E34 ('95) M5 this time around. Was waffling between that and running the 850 again, but decided variety was more important than fixing past shortcomings. Build is currently on stock rubber, but once I get the setup dialed in a little bit I'll switch it over to race rubber.

Current best: 1:48.394
#941 Posted : Friday, June 5, 2020 12:11:29 AM(UTC)
I'm another that doesn't like (maybe appreciate) what they've done to Maple Valley.
when FM7 first came out I ran it a couple of times, i thought something was missing so booted up the 360 and it just seemed so different. I think they've flattened it out a bit so you don't get the sense of dropping off a cliff heading back to the start line. Not sure the pits work on the right, should have left them on the left.
 1 user liked this post.
#942 Posted : Friday, June 5, 2020 9:04:59 AM(UTC)
I don’t mind Maple that much although I do prefer the Reverse layout. On normal I never get the last few corners right, as proved again last night while trying the BMW 8 Series.
It’s not that different to the Alps circuits.

1 user liked this post.
#943 Posted : Friday, June 5, 2020 6:52:49 PM(UTC)
1:40.398 G35

I found a few more tenths with V3. A little more camber and some damper tweaks to match the damped spring frequencies front and rear. That seems to get the front and rear moving together and fixed the nasty oversteer every time you crest a hill so you no longer have to feather the throttle as much. It still has way too much understeer and I much prefer driving Fifty's but I just seem to be slightly slower in his. It is very puzzling because though most of the track I'm closer to his ghost in his tune. I think I'm just better through the last two corners in mine which when paired with a slightly lighter build is worth about 0.2 sec across the line.

Crash
 1 user liked this post.
#944 Posted : Saturday, June 6, 2020 4:05:46 AM(UTC)
Got everything put together well enough to switch back to Race compound, then discovered the gearbox needed to be revised. Spent a good bit of the morning re-sorting that. Not quite happy with how it turned out, but I think it's about as good as its going to get. Power band is pretty narrow on that motor, so you basically have the choice between shifting eleventybazillion times between every corner or hitting track out at about 800 RPM lower than you ought to be.

Car handles itself well. Probably a little looser than it technically should be, but it's pretty forgiving and responds well to correction, so I'm OK with that. Will try to tighten it up a little in future iterations, but I will for sure err on the side of "fun to drive" rather than "fast". Big surprise, I know. Setup uploaded as HLC33 MVR v1.0.

Current best: 1:44.687

== Edit

Raised the spring rate quite a bit (2.5Hz to 2.8Hz, or ~450 lbs/in to ~575) and lowered the rear ride height one click relative to the fronts (now at 6.5/6.4). Car's a lot more stable over the crests now, and I was able to find a whole 'nother second within a few laps because of it. No real change in its demeanor on the rest of the track. Will have to eyeball the telemetry to see if there's something else that needs tweaking, but it should be pretty much dialed in. Uploaded as HLC33 MVR v1.1.

New current best: 1:43.994

== End edit.

Originally Posted by: sk15kev Go to Quoted Post
It’s not that different to the Alps circuits.

That's my issue with most of the fantasy tracks throughout the entire Forza series. They're all wide, smooth tracks with big medium-fast sweepers. No real elevation or surface changes, no challenging braking zones or corner complexes. If they were a song, they'd be lacking a good hook.

I don't fault T10 too much, though. Their tracks aren't any worse than similar games' offerings, and there are real-world tracks that have the same issue (Suzuka East, Tsukuba, new Silverstone).

Originally Posted by: crash220 Go to Quoted Post
I found a few more tenths with V3. A little more camber and some damper tweaks to match the damped spring frequencies front and rear. That seems to get the front and rear moving together and fixed the nasty oversteer every time you crest a hill so you no longer have to feather the throttle as much...

Curious what your process is for adjusting damper settings. I'm not a big fan of the "tune by the goodfeels" or "tune by trial and error" approaches (they're both way too subjective and introduce a lot of confirmation bias), but haven't found any reliable way to set the dampers based on the data we have available in-game.

Edited by user Saturday, June 6, 2020 8:03:42 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

1 user liked this post.
#945 Posted : Saturday, June 6, 2020 12:05:18 PM(UTC)
Improved to 1:42.382 in an Infiniti G35 tuned by Crash220.
Probably final time of the week.
 2 users liked this post.
#946 Posted : Saturday, June 6, 2020 4:03:22 PM(UTC)
Got an Infiniti today pushed just north of 1:43:59x and feeling good....... 😎
 1 user liked this post.
#947 Posted : Saturday, June 6, 2020 7:32:24 PM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: Mr Pinstripes Go to Quoted Post

Curious what your process is for adjusting damper settings. I'm not a big fan of the "tune by the goodfeels" or "tune by trial and error" approaches (they're both way too subjective and introduce a lot of confirmation bias), but haven't found any reliable way to set the dampers based on the data we have available in-game.

I flip flop back and forth between "tune by goodfeels" and damping-ratio/damped-frequency/time-to-settle. I usually start with forza settings and tune by goodfeels guided by an article I found on the web by Neil Roberts . Then I check the math to take out some of the subjectivity and finally tweak by how I compensate with the wheel (do I studder, lead, or lag the corner with the steering input). To do the math I made a few assumptions that seem to work. 1) ARB's have a spring rate that is proportional to cars weight, so a 25 ARB setting on a 2000 lb car is equivalent to a 500 lb spring in roll. Forza seems to be running a non-dimensional model so I guessed and it seems to work. 2) I amused damping was multiplied by 100 so a 6.3 rebound setting was 630.

I find I like overall damping ratios between 0.32 and 0.38 (not the 0.7 I expected but it is just a number to keep things consistent and likely not realistic).
I typically end up with bump ~2/3 of rebound.
Cars with either similar damped-frequencies or similar settling-times front and rear seem to drive nice (it kind of makes sense with front and rear moving at the same rate).

I normally only worry about tuning the dampers for roll but with this track I went soft on the springs and have a very stiff rear ARB which caused a lot of weirdness with the loading and unloading over all the rises so I had to tune the dampers to just the springs. If I get more time I may take a look at putting the roll stiffness in the springs so the car behaves a little more predictably when loading and unloading while turning.

Tune by goodfeels (aka V1)
R 6.6/6.4
B 4.5/.5.3

Tune by math (aka V2)
R 6.3/5.9
B 4.3/3.2

For overall roll stiffness I typically go to Bathurst and if I hit the inside wall it is too stiff and if I hit the outside wall it is too soft. That is usually around 4.5 Hz and a little high to keep the phasing in check with all the time delay introduced by my old plasma display. When I switch from normal to sim steering I crank up the damping ratio to 0.38 or even 0.45 since you loose Forza's physics input filter. Some times turning up the damper setting on the wheel is enough but I find putting more damping in the tune helps also.

It would be interesting to hear from Moss and Fifty. Moss's cars eat curbs and are always predictable. Fifty's feel comfortable and familiar.

Crash

Edited by user Saturday, June 6, 2020 7:41:39 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

1 user liked this post.
#948 Posted : Sunday, June 7, 2020 1:16:13 AM(UTC)
Interesting stuff Crash - a bit over my head I'll be honest but thanks for posting - I should take the time to learn more about this stuff really.

Took a 360 day yesterday and played some fm4 for the first time in 4/5 years - still a great game.

In that time, seemed to drop from 2nd in my little group of racers way down the list. So switched to controller and had another run this morning - as I suspected quite a bit quicker on the pad - 1:41.488.

Might be able to catch Foot's current time but if he improves by much I've had it.
 1 user liked this post.
#949 Posted : Sunday, June 7, 2020 2:15:53 AM(UTC)
Not too much maths involved when I set up my cars crash. I usually start with springs on the soft side, balanced by weight distribution, ARBs higher than I used to with rear slightly softer than the front on RWD cars. The biggest difference to your approach is with the rebound and damping. I start with settings much farther apart, typically R:B of 4:1 or even 5:1. Low bump and high rebound usually works well for me, and when coupled with my low springs may account for my cars' kerb(curb) eating capability.

Fine tuning is then done by "goodfeels". After starting with even R&B front to rear, I adjust the F:R balance until I eliminate any oversteer on turn exits. At Maple I've ended up with R at 10 12, and B at 2.0 2.5 on the Infiniti, and it feels pretty good.

Edited by user Sunday, June 7, 2020 2:32:03 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

1 user liked this post.
#950 Posted : Sunday, June 7, 2020 3:13:55 AM(UTC)
I also used to tune by feel, no big math involved. It’s just that at one point I started to recognize patterns when tuning by feel across different cars which ultimately led to my QuickTune app which I now use almost always except I do find another special case that I haven’t discovered yet which requires an update to the App and the cycle starts again.

As specifically for damper tuning, I’m more in the range of crash , i.e. bump is usually in the ballpark 2/3 of rebound. Bump 4/5ish and rebound 7/8 ish for normal production cars.

The Infiniti would be usually 7.7/7.4 and 4.7/4.5. However Maple Valley requires a slight oversteer setup which results to 7.4/7.3 and 4.4/4.4 which I use here.

Edited by user Sunday, June 7, 2020 8:22:25 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

45 Pages<<3637383940>>PrevNext

Notification

Icon
Error