This site uses cookies for analytics and personalized content. By continuing to browse this site, you agree to this use. Learn more
#1 Posted : Sunday, August 18, 2019 9:37:06 PM(UTC)
I seem to remember fantastic looking rain effects in the E3 reveal videos - with rain streaks rolling from top to bottom of the front windscreen as you pick up speed and traces of moisture/humidity as the wipers go back and forth. Wonderful effects, very convincing. Dense rain drops hammering down on the windscreen, really obstructing your vision and giving you a very real feeling of danger, all that good stuff.

I don't see the same effects on my One-X. In fact, the rain driving doesn't even look as impressive as it does in FM6 on the original Xbox One - I feel in FM7 it's just some dots flying around the windscreen as if someone mushed up a bunch of Styrofoam and threw the bits at the windscreen. It just looks...weird.

What are your guys thoughts on this?
#2 Posted : Monday, August 19, 2019 3:35:39 AM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: opencamswrx Go to Quoted Post
I seem to remember fantastic looking rain effects in the E3 reveal videos - with rain streaks rolling from top to bottom of the front windscreen as you pick up speed and traces of moisture/humidity as the wipers go back and forth. Wonderful effects, very convincing. Dense rain drops hammering down on the windscreen, really obstructing your vision and giving you a very real feeling of danger, all that good stuff.

I don't see the same effects on my One-X. In fact, the rain driving doesn't even look as impressive as it does in FM6 on the original Xbox One - I feel in FM7 it's just some dots flying around the windscreen as if someone mushed up a bunch of Styrofoam and threw the bits at the windscreen. It just looks...weird.

What weather settings do you run?
#3 Posted : Monday, August 19, 2019 7:49:34 AM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: EpicEvan777 Go to Quoted Post

Huh? There's a way to set weather settings on the One-X?

I'm puzzled - you can only choose between rain/night/day and number of laps. The rain does come in varying degrees - but I want to see those streaks of water and moisture running across my front and side windscreens (not blobs and dots moving as if someone is blowing them across the windscreen using a hairdryer)!

The trails and traces of moisture left behind by the wipers as they move - where did that go? What happenned to the streaks of water running from bottom to top - right above the wipers? Do I have to be driving in thunderstormy conditions to see those effects? I've tried all rain tracks and the rain effects seem lacking. The E3 reveal rain effects were very impressive. Was that on PC then, ultra settings and all?

FM6 on my fat xbox one has far better rain effects. And in fact, PCARS2's (One-X) rain driving is second to none. Very convincing.
#4 Posted : Monday, August 19, 2019 8:51:46 AM(UTC)

Huh? There's a way to set weather settings on the One-X?

I'm puzzled - you can only choose between rain/night/day and number of laps. The rain does come in varying degrees - but I want to see those streaks of water and moisture running across my front and side windscreens (not blobs and dots moving as if someone is blowing them across the windscreen using a hairdryer)!

The trails and traces of moisture left behind by the wipers as they move - where did that go? What happenned to the streaks of water running from bottom to top - right above the wipers? Do I have to be driving in thunderstormy conditions to see those effects? I've tried all rain tracks and the rain effects seem lacking. The E3 reveal rain effects were very impressive. Was that on PC then, ultra settings and all?

FM6 on my fat xbox one has far better rain effects. And in fact, PCARS2's (One-X) rain driving is second to none. Very convincing.

Yep, go into Race Settings in Ftee Play, hit RB and if you scroll down you'll get some options there.

The E3 reveal at the Nurburgring GP circuit went from 'Partly Cloudy' to 'Rain and Lightning' and then back to 'Partly Cloudy'.
#5 Posted : Monday, August 19, 2019 9:52:18 AM(UTC)
well now! this is interesting - you're telling me you can select weather settings?

'rain and lightning' - i think the weather setting needs to be on that on see those water streaks trickling upwards along with humidity trails as the wipers move.
#6 Posted : Monday, August 19, 2019 12:21:40 PM(UTC)
well now! this is interesting - you're telling me you can select weather settings?

'rain and lightning' - i think the weather setting needs to be on that on see those water streaks trickling upwards along with humidity trails as the wipers move.

You've been able to select weather since launch. Rain and lightning is the most extreme condition.
 1 user liked this post.
#7 Posted : Tuesday, August 20, 2019 1:51:00 AM(UTC)
Neat find! I literally never would have known if you hadn't pointed these out. Too bad there's no track conditions setting for day and night races.

I still feel though that the rain effects have been watered down since FM6. They still look outright gorgeous in FH3 and FH4.
#8 Posted : Tuesday, August 20, 2019 8:59:41 AM(UTC)
Neat find! I literally never would have known if you hadn't pointed these out. Too bad there's no track conditions setting for day and night races.

I still feel though that the rain effects have been watered down since FM6. They still look outright gorgeous in FH3 and FH4.

Completely disagree about the rain effects, they're far superior than FM6, FH3 and FH4.

In FM6 the spray coming off other cars looked very artificial and fale, almost cartoonish.

In FH3 and FH4, it's just a watered down version of what FM7 is because of the open world being more taxing on performance. The only thing better in the rain in the Horizon series is the camera water effect in bumper view.

#9 Posted : Wednesday, August 21, 2019 12:28:26 AM(UTC)

Completely disagree about the rain effects, they're far superior than FM6, FH3 and FH4.

In FM6 the spray coming off other cars looked very artificial and fale, almost cartoonish.

In FH3 and FH4, it's just a watered down version of what FM7 is because of the open world being more taxing on performance. The only thing better in the rain in the Horizon series is the camera water effect in bumper view.

Oh I should have clarified a little - I meant the rain effects from cockpit view only and nothing else.
#10 Posted : Wednesday, August 21, 2019 7:39:54 AM(UTC)

Oh I should have clarified a little - I meant the rain effects from cockpit view only and nothing else.

Ahhhhhh gotcha.

No clue tbh. I don't play Horizon 4 enough to know and I can't really remember how they looked in FM6 and FH3, though it wouldn't surprise me.
#11 Posted : Wednesday, August 21, 2019 8:32:38 AM(UTC)

Ahhhhhh gotcha.

No clue tbh. I don't play Horizon 4 enough to know and I can't really remember how they looked in FM6 and FH3, though it wouldn't surprise me.

Give FM6 a go then - you may be surprised at how spot on they look. FM7 has the least impressive cockpit rain effects out of FM6, FH3 and FH4.
#12 Posted : Wednesday, August 21, 2019 9:41:13 AM(UTC)

Agree 100% on this. I felt like I'd seen better spray effects in older games.
#13 Posted : Friday, August 23, 2019 12:19:53 AM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: smoothroller Go to Quoted Post

The spray effect was laughably bad. I actually think the improvement Forza Motorsport 7 made was huge compared to the last iteration.
 1 user liked this post.
#14 Posted : Friday, August 23, 2019 2:28:16 AM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: smoothroller Go to Quoted Post

The spray effect was laughably bad. I actually think the improvement Forza Motorsport 7 made was huge compared to the last iteration.

Spray looked bad sure, but the cockpit rain effects were exceptionally good.

Notification

Icon
Error