73 Pages<<6768697071>>PrevNext
#1701 Posted : Friday, November 20, 2020 3:57:27 AM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: FullNietzsche Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Jezza14 Go to Quoted Post
Switched to the 340R and moved up to 3rd overall pretty easily with a 2.19.8. Rayne’s tune. Should be able to catch the slower of the two Roadsters as I’m within a tenth but Kaminari will be out of reach, for me at least.

I thought so, as I was a few seconds slower and I haven't been able to do a very good run so far. I just improved by a tenth but I'm very ragged at times, the car slides quite easily.

Done 2:21.948, I think that's more or less the best I'd be able to do.

Unfortunately, the instability was the price to pay for the power/weight ratio and no front aero. Thus, I had to tune the springs very oversteery to eliminate understeer.
#1702 Posted : Friday, November 20, 2020 4:45:50 AM(UTC)
I tried to match the stats of Rayne's 340R tune, and failed, but bizarrely I actually ended up with the same stats for everything else while being 2lb lighter. I don't know if my tune is any faster overall, but I went a few tenths quicker than Jezza for 2nd on the leaderboard. I've shared the tune.
#1703 Posted : Friday, November 20, 2020 5:30:50 AM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: breeminator Go to Quoted Post
I tried to match the stats of Rayne's 340R tune, and failed, but bizarrely I actually ended up with the same stats for everything else while being 2lb lighter. I don't know if my tune is any faster overall, but I went a few tenths quicker than Jezza for 2nd on the leaderboard. I've shared the tune.

I tried it, then tried Rayne's tune again - I think his maybe has the edge at least for me, on a controller.

I've done a 2:21.697 with Rayne's anyway. I don't know where I'd find another couple of seconds from.
#1704 Posted : Friday, November 20, 2020 6:16:51 AM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: FullNietzsche Go to Quoted Post
I tried it, then tried Rayne's tune again - I think his maybe has the edge at least for me, on a controller.

I've done a 2:21.697 with Rayne's anyway. I don't know where I'd find another couple of seconds from.

I always use a controller now, the game is just so clearly designed primarily for it that I've given up fighting it.

Out of interest what do you have your field of view set to? I use the high chase cam with the narrowest field of view. I prefer the narrow field of view because it's more realistic (it's the correct field of view even for a pretty close screen) and you can see the road ahead more clearly because it's bigger. But the one thing it's bad for is hairpins, as you can't necessarily see the bit of track ahead at the time you need to get on the throttle on exit. A 21:9 screen would be nice for giving the same 16:9 view for the central section, but with extra width to judge those exits.
#1705 Posted : Friday, November 20, 2020 6:59:52 AM(UTC)
Oh I see, I wasn't even sure that there was much difference and I doubt I could differentiate them in a blind test. I use the default FOV, whatever that is, and the highest chase cam. It will just be the skill difference that is making me slower, I am always at least 1-2% slower then you and Jezza etc. when we do our best efforts in rivals and I'm not going to buck that trend on this course :D
#1706 Posted : Friday, November 20, 2020 7:03:40 AM(UTC)
i

Out of interest what do you have your field of view set to? I use the high chase cam with the narrowest field of view. I prefer the narrow field of view because it's more realistic (it's the correct field of view even for a pretty close screen) and you can see the road ahead more clearly because it's bigger. But the one thing it's bad for is hairpins, as you can't necessarily see the bit of track ahead at the time you need to get on the throttle on exit. A 21:9 screen would be nice for giving the same 16:9 view for the central section, but with extra width to judge those exits.

This is something I experienced as well. I use the same camera cause tracks are very rough and wider FOW does not allow me to got vehicle reaction in time with a controller. I reckon that narrow bends and hairpin are not easy and you have to guess your line while in the corner. I tried the behind the wheel one but I’m usually slower as I react late to errors. Another weird thing of in cabin views is that u cannot turn your head at high steering angle as I would do irl.
#1707 Posted : Friday, November 20, 2020 9:53:46 AM(UTC)
Nice tune Bree :)
Can you make one without supercharger? I can share my if you want target for stats.
Or maybe these numbers will be enough: 174kW (234hp) -> 167kW (224hp); 213Nm (157ft-lb) -> 216Nm (159ft-lb); 623kg (1372lb) -> 602kg (1327lb)
For some reason it was working better for me, than with turbo/supercharger.
#1708 Posted : Friday, November 20, 2020 10:18:07 AM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: ziperrPL Go to Quoted Post
Nice tune Bree :)
Can you make one without supercharger? I can share my if you want target for stats.
Or maybe these numbers will be enough: 174kW (234hp) -> 167kW (224hp); 213Nm (157ft-lb) -> 216Nm (159ft-lb); 623kg (1372lb) -> 602kg (1327lb)
For some reason it was working better for me, than with turbo/supercharger.

Those are actually almost exactly the stats I had when I first built it, but I couldn't match Jezza's ghost until I changed the build, aiming for Rayne's stats. So for me, the lower power and lighter build was significantly slower.
#1709 Posted : Friday, November 20, 2020 10:31:29 AM(UTC)
Whichever tune he is using, Ziperr is flying! Is that your build Zip, or Bree’s or Rayne’s?
#1710 Posted : Friday, November 20, 2020 10:38:11 AM(UTC)
Jezza - Bree's. That is why I was saying "nice tune bree" :P
2:19 should be relatively easy to break with his tune.

Bree - I was asking for non charged, because when I was using my tune it was only one that I was able to break 2:20. Maybe it had something to do with something else, but I would like to try it ;)

EDIT: I forgot to mention. I don't like that double-left corner near garage. Most of the time I end up sideways or understeering. I blame the keyboard :P

Edited by user Friday, November 20, 2020 10:49:13 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

#1711 Posted : Friday, November 20, 2020 3:18:11 PM(UTC)
Zip - you drive with a keyboard??? That blows my mind! How can you be so quick with no input controls. It’s all about tap steering and braking?
#1712 Posted : Friday, November 20, 2020 8:16:25 PM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: Rayne SE Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Tilo38 Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Rayne SE Go to Quoted Post
I'm going to try FWD first I think.
Tilo has set a strong time in the Clio FE which I assume is FWD.
Only did some early testing in a '74 (?) Civic with bodykit but even with Race tires it does not have the grip through the hairpins.

I confirm, fwd 236kw 1058kg own tune that i used for ascent too.

At the time I did it, i wondered if opting for more weight could be a valuable option, what was your option Rayne ?

232kw on 1024kg, so basically the same power/weight as yours. I don't think more power instead of less weight will be beneficial on this track.
Your gear setting is definitely different though because your car launches a lot faster. Longer first gear?

3.97 ratio, you used higher value ?

340 Bree's tune 👍

Edited by user Friday, November 20, 2020 11:04:38 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

#1713 Posted : Saturday, November 21, 2020 5:05:17 AM(UTC)
Ok I clearly need to improve 😅. Current leaderboard:

Rayne - 2.18.622
Zip - 2.19.110
Tilo - 2.19.339
Bree - 2.19.493
Jezza - 2.19.823
FN - 2.21.182
RB - 2.23.310
Matteo - 2.25.379
Squryl - 2.25.612

Top 6 using the 340R. Other three using the 5 FE. I’ll close this one at end of tomorrow and announce a new one during tomorrow.

Edited by user Saturday, November 21, 2020 5:05:59 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

#1714 Posted : Saturday, November 21, 2020 6:29:39 AM(UTC)
Improved to 2.18.772, and took the last corner relatively slowly (as I’d messed it up totally on previous similar paced runs - can’t quite figure out the best line). Suggests Rayne’s time is beatable - I’ll have a run against his ghost later.
 1 user liked this post.
#1715 Posted : Saturday, November 21, 2020 4:23:27 PM(UTC)
Ok I’ve set a new lead time. If anyone beats that, I probably can’t go quicker (without a lot of pain!) and they might also be able to catch Kaminari as I’m within a couple of tenths:

Jezza - 2.18.222
Rayne - 2.18.622
Ziperr - 2.19.110
Tilo - 2.19.339
Bree - 2.19.493
FN - 2.21.182
RB033 - 2.21.475
Matteo - 2.25.379
Squryl - 2.25.512
#1716 Posted : Saturday, November 21, 2020 11:59:23 PM(UTC)
I’m guilty of putting too much effort in trying different cars while I haven’t put more than a dozen of try with the fastest. I hope I can give a try to Bree’s much appreciated tune.

Btw, thank you guys all and especially Bree to provide such good tune suggestions, I’m learning a lot from them! I would like to propose that the quickest tune if it come from here may be disclosed as an open tune so that everyone can get a grasp of how that perfect balance was achieved.
 1 user liked this post.
#1717 Posted : Sunday, November 22, 2020 7:14:10 AM(UTC)
I widened my FoV to 55 degrees, which helped a lot with being able to see far enough ahead in the hairpins. I had to move the screen to about 30cm from my face to match my true FoV to the 55 degrees.

Managed to scrape into the 2:18s, and it felt like just maybe I could do a similar time to Rayne if I tried all day long, but Jezza's ghost was just too good in too many corners for me to feel I could ever take that much time off.

"Slow is fast" is definitely something to keep in mind for this track. You can lose a lot of time trying to carry too much speed around the hairpins, when it's faster to go slower, turn tighter, and get a better exit with earlier throttle.
 1 user liked this post.
#1718 Posted : Sunday, November 22, 2020 7:43:54 AM(UTC)
Rayne does indeed set a new WR with a 2.17.971 👏. I might have a quick go at matching that later but will be tough!

For next week, I’m sticking to Fortune Island - B class on the South Island circuit. No Roadster, Pulsar or Renault 5 FE. Good luck!
#1719 Posted : Sunday, November 22, 2020 5:18:57 PM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: Jezza14 Go to Quoted Post
For next week, I’m sticking to Fortune Island - B class on the South Island circuit. No Roadster, Pulsar or Renault 5 FE. Good luck!

Though I only ran through FI quickly to get the achievements, I really love the mix of turns on South Island, great choice. Going to pause FFA for a while to focus on this, will be testing many cars at B class but also A as a quick progression of curiosity.

#1720 Posted : Monday, November 23, 2020 12:23:05 AM(UTC)

"Slow is fast" is definitely something to keep in mind for this track. You can lose a lot of time trying to carry too much speed around the hairpins, when it's faster to go slower, turn tighter, and get a better exit with earlier throttle.

Yep, for many turns it required a "new way of thinking" to improve the time. Especially the second hairpin (the very tight righthander). Wide -> apex -> wide was awfully slow. Very aggressive braking into the checkpoint flag and a pointy turn in 2nd gear was way faster.
Finished it with a 1:17.888 but there was still room for at least 0.4 seconds. I threw a 17.6 into the wall at the double left before the line and even in this run there were two noticable driving errors.
Since Jezza intended to do a last stint he may have beaten the time.

Had to revamp my 340R a bit though. The very aggressive turn-in that was needed for the FI course we did last year for which I built the 340R hindered me in some turns. Gave it a smoother setting that helped keeping the flow through the descent.

Tested the new track and maybe we also should ban the '97 Civic? Looks like a track perfectly build for it.
Started with the '05 Elise to not instantly jump to the usual suspects.

Edited by user Monday, November 23, 2020 12:25:33 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

#1721 Posted : Monday, November 23, 2020 4:08:00 AM(UTC)
I tried a stock tyre AWD Civic '74 for South Island Circuit, and it was okay (did 1:33.0), but was struggling in the very slow corners due to the non-upgraded brakes meaning it just wouldn't turn while braking. It might be competitive with a different build that has race brakes.

I also tried the S2000, and again it was okay, but I think my best was around 1:33.5.

Then I tried the Opel Kadett, using my old dirt tune. That was immediately better than the other two, but I was able to improve it some more with a different build and tune geared towards tarmac. I think I did around 1:32.3 for 3rd on the leaderboard. It's hard to say whether it's as good as the Civic '97 or not - I didn't match it, but maybe the Kadett can be built better than my build, and maybe Hamilton HD drove better than I did.
#1722 Posted : Monday, November 23, 2020 4:37:37 AM(UTC)
Let’s ban the 97 Civic for now and see how we get on without using it, assuming no one has tried it yet.

I didn’t get a chance yesterday to try chasing down Rayne so he wins the A class event. Great driving Rayne - and a new WR 👏. A very different challenge to the previous week but good fun scrambling down the mountain.
#1723 Posted : Monday, November 23, 2020 5:21:52 AM(UTC)
I tried a stock tyre AWD Civic '74 for South Island Circuit, and it was okay (did 1:33.0), but was struggling in the very slow corners due to the non-upgraded brakes meaning it just wouldn't turn while braking. It might be competitive with a different build that has race brakes.

I also tried the S2000, and again it was okay, but I think my best was around 1:33.5.

Then I tried the Opel Kadett, using my old dirt tune. That was immediately better than the other two, but I was able to improve it some more with a different build and tune geared towards tarmac. I think I did around 1:32.3 for 3rd on the leaderboard. It's hard to say whether it's as good as the Civic '97 or not - I didn't match it, but maybe the Kadett can be built better than my build, and maybe Hamilton HD drove better than I did.

You did 1:31.3 in fact. I've just gone 5th in the Mini with 1:31.932, I think that is probably more or less the best I will do, though someone else can probably get more out of it.

I like this course, it flows nicely and you can put in consistent lap times. The Mini is very easy to drive as well as being competitively fast here.

edit - improved a bit to 1:31.749.

Edited by user Monday, November 23, 2020 5:44:00 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

#1724 Posted : Monday, November 23, 2020 9:18:10 AM(UTC)
Lotus Elan was the best of my existing B-Dirt tunes (that work better for faster tracks / free roam), has stock tires and suspension, not much to adjust for strictly road grip. With race suspension I could get .5 seconds more (1.33.8) but was running out of patience to perfect the tune and post a clean lap. Set a benchmark for myself anyway. I'm going to try the below list, never driven any of them and I'm sure some will be lousy (Volvo?) or work better on different tracks and higher classes. I'll throw some initial builds on them anyway and pocket them for different tests if they can't beat the Elan here. Another 30 cars waiting after these 10, feel free to share your experiences/cautions, so I don't waste too much time.

2013 Subaru BRZ
2003 Renault Sport Clio V6
2003 Ford Focus RS
1997 Volvo 850R
1997 BMW M3
1995 Toyota MR2 GT
1993 Renault Clio Williams
1992 Lancia Delta HF Integrale Evo
1991 Peugeot 205 Rallye
1991 BMW M3
#1725 Posted : Monday, November 23, 2020 11:04:22 AM(UTC)
B class is an area I don’t know as well as higher levels RB. We’ve ruled out a few of the known strongest B class options. However, I know next to nothing about any of the cars on your list! Happy experimenting and share anything good!
73 Pages<<6768697071>>PrevNext

Notification

Icon
Error