This site uses cookies for analytics and personalized content. By continuing to browse this site, you agree to this use. Learn more
6 Pages<<23456PrevNext
 2 users liked this post.
#76 Posted : Monday, August 26, 2019 2:52:47 PM(UTC)
Wow! All Top 50! Why do I even try?
I am at Rank 203 with a 1:52.064 in my Boss 302.
 2 users liked this post.
#77 Posted : Tuesday, August 27, 2019 1:13:13 AM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: Galaxie5002012 Go to Quoted Post

It's all about the car choice and practice. I started back in the day with Gran Turismo 1 whose licence tests taught me the basics of racing. But only after running time attacks/Rivals against other players and online races my abilities really improved from the basics I had.
So for improving your driving skills just keep trying. Always take ghosts as targets which are 0.2-0.5 seconds faster than you. Notice the different lines players are taking and find the best for you.
Unfortunately Forza does an awful job at explaining its car building & tuning. An extremetly important part of being competitive. Without a fitting car/build you won't stand a chance.
#78 Posted : Tuesday, August 27, 2019 5:19:22 AM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: Rayne SE Go to Quoted Post

It's all about the car choice and practice. I started back in the day with Gran Turismo 1 whose licence tests taught me the basics of racing. But only after running time attacks/Rivals against other players and online races my abilities really improved from the basics I had.
So for improving your driving skills just keep trying. Always take ghosts as targets which are 0.2-0.5 seconds faster than you. Notice the different lines players are taking and find the best for you.
Unfortunately Forza does an awful job at explaining its car building & tuning. An extremetly important part of being competitive. Without a fitting car/build you won't stand a chance.

Thanks for the advice! I had about 2 hours to invest last night, so I did some radical tuning experiments (settings beyond anything I've ever tried) and knocked my time down about 2 seconds & rank to 158 (time is 1:50.XXX). I feel like I'm driving this track well and really love the way the Boss 302 is handling now. But, you should see the Rival I am chasing.... he just blazes by me in the straights and manages to stay ahead in the curves. My goal was rank 150, so I'm pretty happy with this. There are a couple settings that I know limit my lap times (AWD & automatic tranny) but I don't plan to change these.....I've just gotten used to the feel and control....and I'm having fun.
#79 Posted : Tuesday, August 27, 2019 5:58:28 AM(UTC)
Do you own a Shelby Daytona? If you do, and like AWD/auto, it’s worth trying Breeminator’s tune for it on this track. It’s a very smooth drive. May also let you compare how your Boss tune is doing against a top notch AWD option.
#80 Posted : Tuesday, August 27, 2019 6:53:57 AM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: Jezza14 Go to Quoted Post
Do you own a Shelby Daytona? If you do, and like AWD/auto, it’s worth trying Breeminator’s tune for it on this track. It’s a very smooth drive. May also let you compare how your Boss tune is doing against a top notch AWD option.

Good, will do! I had a feeling that the Classic Race Cars perform better, generally, than Classic Muscle. But I really love my Boss....and it is very flexible in Class A. I also don't see many '69's above me in the rankings. Maybe the next challenge could be the same car.... or if any of you guys care to put in a Boss 302 lap or two I would love to see the apples-to-apple comparison.
#81 Posted : Tuesday, August 27, 2019 10:05:01 AM(UTC)

Good, will do! I had a feeling that the Classic Race Cars perform better, generally, than Classic Muscle. But I really love my Boss....and it is very flexible in Class A. I also don't see many '69's above me in the rankings. Maybe the next challenge could be the same car.... or if any of you guys care to put in a Boss 302 lap or two I would love to see the apples-to-apple comparison.

I created an AWD Boss 302 and managed a 1:44.9xx. Vintage Race tires, V8 swap with centrifugal supercharger, max front/min rear aero. A very slidy experience because the car is constantly at or over the limits of what its chassis can handle. Manual would be mandatory with this build too because you have to redline... a lot. Overall not a pleasant driving experience.

Edited by user Tuesday, August 27, 2019 10:06:49 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

#82 Posted : Tuesday, August 27, 2019 11:11:53 AM(UTC)

I created an AWD Boss 302 and managed a 1:44.9xx. Vintage Race tires, V8 swap with centrifugal supercharger, max front/min rear aero. A very slidy experience because the car is constantly at or over the limits of what its chassis can handle. Manual would be mandatory with this build too because you have to redline... a lot. Overall not a pleasant driving experience.

I feel better that you are 4 seconds slower with the Boss. Nothing personal.
 1 user liked this post.
#83 Posted : Tuesday, August 27, 2019 11:27:39 AM(UTC)
I’ve also just had a go in the Boss 302. I used a random tune by Tempus157 which was AWD, had a bit above average BHP and seemingly ok handling stats.

It’s clearly not top notch but I did 1.47.503 on my second attempt which would be good enough for mid 70s in the ranks. On the basis that (a) that’s in auto, (b) it’s not using one of Rayne’s freakishly quick tunes and (c) I don’t have Rayne’s other-worldly driving skills, that’s probably a more realistic target to try and reach!

I also did a time on the next door Horizon Festival Sprint in the same car - which I thought was ok but not special. As I hadn’t done a time on that before, you can compare the two cars and see if you can beat that (93rd currently).

Edited by user Tuesday, August 27, 2019 4:13:20 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

#84 Posted : Tuesday, August 27, 2019 11:46:33 AM(UTC)

I feel better that you are 4 seconds slower with the Boss. Nothing personal.

Yep, the Boss is just not a top A-class car. From my previous testing on my own test track it's right there with most of the other AWD-converted muscle cars of its era. That's roughly Tier 3 A-class.
No chance of beating my 166MM time or the Daytona.
#85 Posted : Tuesday, August 27, 2019 11:55:49 AM(UTC)
What else do you have as Tier 1 Rayne which might suit this track? I’m a little out of ideas.
#86 Posted : Tuesday, August 27, 2019 12:21:06 PM(UTC)
I've managed 1:41s in the '32 Ford Hotrod (the one Angel is driving) RWD, '32 Ford Roadster "Hula Girl" RWD, Dodge Charger Daytona RWD and Mitsubishi GTO AWD. 1:42s in the Shelby Daytona AWD, AMC Rebel RWD, Buick GSX RWD.
Basically all cars which can handle extreme power/weight ratios with tire tiers below sports (stock, street or vintage race).
#87 Posted : Tuesday, August 27, 2019 1:06:41 PM(UTC)
Cheers - that’s actually amusingly close to the list of cars I tried yesterday! I can do 1.42 in Angel’s Coupe but not quick enough to beat my Civic time as yet. 1.43 in the Shelby and only 1.45 or worse with the others (the gearboxes in the Charger and GTO stuff me up totally in Auto).
#88 Posted : Tuesday, August 27, 2019 1:18:17 PM(UTC)
Hi guys, you don't mind if I jump in as well.
Best time so far of 1:50.077 in a Shelby Daytona
#89 Posted : Tuesday, August 27, 2019 2:14:14 PM(UTC)
Of course - the more the merrier.
#90 Posted : Tuesday, August 27, 2019 5:35:27 PM(UTC)
1.41.3 with Charger Daytona. Total nightmare to drive.
#91 Posted : Wednesday, August 28, 2019 4:23:54 AM(UTC)
I switched to the Shelby Daytona with Breeminator's tune and my time went down to 1:48.368, which was rank 90. A great feeling to beat the rival I had been chasing for about 7 laps previously and getting under top 100! Breeminator is about 2 seconds faster and runs a pretty tight line. I was inching closer every time I followed him, but my skills are pretty close to their limit. At least I know the car can go faster if I put in the time.

I tried the same race at S1-866 in the GT350R....just one try... and the first rival killed me! Dude was like shot out of a rocket. At the end of the race it asked "Do you want to try again vs rival Jezza14?" umm.... No..... so I finished the night against someone who posted a 2:13.00 time. :D Confidence restored!
#92 Posted : Wednesday, August 28, 2019 5:40:12 AM(UTC)
Lol - I’d forgotten I’d done an S1 time at this track. How did you choose your rival initially? I suspect it would have automatically defaulted to a friend who had done the course before - so it could well have been me you were racing first time round anyway (which, on re-reading, I think is what you were saying)!

Edit - nicely done on the Daytona drive by the way.

Edited by user Wednesday, August 28, 2019 6:02:18 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

#93 Posted : Wednesday, August 28, 2019 6:12:04 AM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: Jezza14 Go to Quoted Post
Lol - I’d forgotten I’d done an S1 time at this track. How did you choose your rival initially? I suspect it would have automatically defaulted to a friend who had done the course before - so it could well have been me you were racing first time round anyway!

Edit - nicely done on the Daytona drive by the way.

Cheers!
The initial S1 rival was default....... I didn't even look. I added 3-4 people on this thread to my friends list so evidently rivals defaults to them instead of the bottom of the barrel. Typically, I don't keep friends because it limits the drivatar liveries I can see during championships, etc. I like the variety. But after following you guys around the tracks a few times, I see I can benefit from watching and learning. I've never been a big fan of downloading other folks' tunes because I'm a do-it-yourselfer, so I'd like to be in an environment where I can actually see how cars are tuned by top drivers........then use that info across my garage. I can't reverse engineer Breeminator's tune, but at least I can see his tires! That's a good start.
#94 Posted : Wednesday, August 28, 2019 10:28:18 AM(UTC)
Angel tied with me at 1:40.934. So I felt the need to squeeze a little more out of the 166MM. Now I'm down to 1:40.133 which means #3. If I hadn't messed up one turn this could've been the new #1 because only 0.2 seconds were missing in the end.
These long sweeping turns surely require a perfect entrance. Otherwise you are just gone.
#95 Posted : Wednesday, August 28, 2019 12:08:52 PM(UTC)
Found about 2 seconds in Breeminator's Shelby Daytona - 1:48.108

Edited by user Wednesday, August 28, 2019 12:21:25 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

#96 Posted : Wednesday, August 28, 2019 12:22:02 PM(UTC)
Ok, so Rayne’s put a bit of a gap at the top. Can Angel or DireWolf catch him?

I don’t think I will catch anyone above me and I see Midnyte has equalled but not bettered my time. There’s then quite a big gap to Bree, which he’s likely to close if he has time for some more runs.

BlevinsM, Hanson, Galaxie and Beef are then all within a second or so of each other and could finish in any order.

I’ll leave open until Friday evening and I’ll choose a new event for Saturday. Does anyone not have Fortune Island as I was thinking of possibly choosing a track from there?

Edited by user Wednesday, August 28, 2019 12:24:10 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

#97 Posted : Thursday, August 29, 2019 5:22:37 PM(UTC)
Over the last few days i must've tested, tuned, and slapped some paint on at least 50 cars I've never even dreamed of driving in game. What a blast. Aa a bonus, I def feel as if im being driven to improve (pun intended). Doesn't get much better than that for me.

Looking forward to seeing what the next chapter holds...fortune island?... Lego?... I'm in.

Cheers
#98 Posted : Friday, August 30, 2019 7:52:24 AM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: hansonalanrob Go to Quoted Post

You didn't just beat me by 0.2 seconds! ouch

I have Fortune Isle and LegoVille so I'm game. How about some dirt?
#99 Posted : Friday, August 30, 2019 9:41:04 AM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: hansonalanrob Go to Quoted Post

You didn't just beat me by 0.2 seconds! ouch

I have Fortune Isle and LegoVille so I'm game. How about some dirt?

Nice running Galaxie, great improvement on your original time. The more you run the quicker you'll get (as long as you don't chase the aliens at the top of the leaderboard - it's annoying to see them pull away so fast when your in the same car and tune and end up 10 seconds behind)

If you think 0.2 is close, on Fortune Island at one of the cross country circuits, I've got a time that is 0.067 behind one of the quickest people on my friends list and still couldn't find that extra fraction after multiple laps.

Dirt or Cross Country would be fun if we can DQ the Tractor

Edited by user Friday, August 30, 2019 9:44:39 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

3 users liked this post.
#100 Posted : Friday, August 30, 2019 11:08:34 AM(UTC)
Thanks for the comments guys. As not everyone has the expansion, I’m sticking to mainland for the primary event but I do think it’s worth trying some dirt, so I’m going for:

Glen Rannoch Trail - S1 - Rally Monsters

However, I’m going to also suggest a second event, for those who have the FI expansion and still want to do some road racing:

Moorland Super Circuit - A - Retro Sport Cars

This week’s winner is whoever (no doubt Rayne!) wins the GRT event but the other one is just for fun.
6 Pages<<23456PrevNext

Notification

Icon
Error