This site uses cookies for analytics and personalized content. By continuing to browse this site, you agree to this use. Learn more
3 Pages123PrevNext
#26 Posted : Sunday, August 11, 2019 7:54:31 AM(UTC)
That Ferrari 166MM is quite a tricky one. After fidling with some builds I have dropped the time to 59.259. Over 800Hp and 770nm torgue are definitely a handful on this little, light car.
Barcode pulls a small lead after the first turn due to TCS. I normally catch up/overtake him under the heavy braking on the back straight into the downward lefthander from over 320km/h because his TCS is too restrictive over ~200km/h.
But that final hairpin kills me every single time. It seems to be impossible to accelerate out of it with the same speed as with TCS on.
#27 Posted : Sunday, August 11, 2019 11:37:39 AM(UTC)
I tried a few RWD builds of the 166MM, but can't get anywhere near Rayne's ghost with it. My best time was 1:02.3, so I haven't shared that tune.

I tried the Shelby Daytona, and wasn't able to match my Alfa 33S time of 1:00.4, but at 1:01.1 it wasn't all that far off, and it has the huge advantage of being AWD and easily driveable without TCS. I've shared that tune as it's a pretty good all-round A class car, it's shared as "A800 missile v3" if anyone wants to try that. My older v2 tune was 0.8 seconds slower for Astmoor.

I haven't shared the Alfa 33S tune, as I don't feel it's a good tune for people to pick up for general use, but if anyone wants to try it, let me know on this thread and I'll share it with some name that tries to make it clear it's not a general purpose tune.
#28 Posted : Sunday, August 11, 2019 4:09:36 PM(UTC)
That’s a very good Daytona tune Bree. For me, it’s 0.3 seconds quicker than Grandma Driving and Rayne’s tunes for that car on this track and I only did three laps in it, so suspect I could eek out a couple more tenths. I couldn’t get a 1.01.1 in it but I suspect that’s mainly due to Auto v Manual. Will try some of the RWD options to see if I can get any lower.
#29 Posted : Sunday, August 11, 2019 7:51:34 PM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: breeminator Go to Quoted Post
I haven't shared the Alfa 33S tune, as I don't feel it's a good tune for people to pick up for general use, but if anyone wants to try it, let me know on this thread and I'll share it with some name that tries to make it clear it's not a general purpose tune.

I’d definitely give it a try. Improved my time by a couple of tenths yesterday but couldn’t live with your ghost around the long right handers leading onto the back straight so I tried a couple of RWD tunes. They handle great but get mullered on the straights because they have no legs.

Thought I’d hit the wall with the 33S so tried the 166MM - probably need a bit more time with it but wasn’t enjoying it as much. I’ll persevere for another day or two then I’d like to give the Shelby a go as I’ve got a paint waiting for that car...

Great driving by the way chaps & appreciate the tunes 👍🏾

FM7 / FM6 / FM4 / FM3 / FM2
FH4 / FH3
#30 Posted : Monday, August 12, 2019 12:47:15 AM(UTC)
I'll share my 166MM later. But be warned, without TCS it's trying to kill you everytime it isn't completely straightened while accelerating. That being said, manual shifting is mandatory because any gear below 5th is not an option :D
#31 Posted : Monday, August 12, 2019 4:39:43 PM(UTC)
The back of Midnyte’s 33S is very stylish but I’m getting a little tired of ending laps staring at it from close distance. Closed the gap to 0.024 but cannot find the little bit extra!

#32 Posted : Monday, August 12, 2019 5:15:26 PM(UTC)
I've shared my Alfa 33S tune, I think I called it "RWD Lap Rivals". It's still what has given me my fastest time, but I'll give Rayne's 166MM a try some time. I've actually been ahead of his ghost quite a distance down that long straight, but then he goes rocketing past me. I then close up to really not that far behind after the hairpin, but he gains a lot of time again right on the very last straight section.

I gave the TZ2 a try, and did 1:01.9, but I don't feel it's worth spending a huge amount of time trying different builds and tunes of it.
#33 Posted : Monday, August 12, 2019 7:39:44 PM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: Jezza14 Go to Quoted Post
The back of Midnyte’s 33S is very stylish but I’m getting a little tired of ending laps staring at it from close distance. Closed the gap to 0.024 but cannot find the little bit extra!

Annoying when it gets that close, LoL! Keep pushing mate 👍🏾

Had a day off it yesterday but downloaded both those tunes so will be giving them a try later, cheers guys.

FH4 / FH3
#34 Posted : Tuesday, August 13, 2019 4:10:33 AM(UTC)
Ha - yeah. I did four consecutive laps all under 1.01.7 - all of which I had a slight lead on you into the last hairpin - but can’t quite hold the same line as you in the Daytona. Lost my mojo after that and kept slightly messing up the long right hander putting me a few tenths down. Will try again tonight but I think you’ll go faster with Bree’s tune so will probably be able to put enough daylight between us.
#35 Posted : Tuesday, August 13, 2019 4:37:36 PM(UTC)
I had a try with Rayne's 166MM tune. It is pretty OP, and with practice, I'd say I was even able to get pretty consistent with it. My best lap was 59.6, so considerably faster than any other car.

I had a go at building and tuning my own version, but while I felt I had possibly improved the build, there is something eluding me in the tuning settings, and I can't get it to put the power down like Rayne's tune does. I've PMd him my build details to see if they improve the car when combined with his magic tune settings.
#36 Posted : Wednesday, August 14, 2019 7:55:52 AM(UTC)
Great! A rivals challenge I've been missing. :)
Two questions:
-when does the week end?
-are flagged laps accepted?
 1 user liked this post.
#37 Posted : Wednesday, August 14, 2019 8:07:23 AM(UTC)
There’s a fairly loose definition of a week for these purposes but essentially roughly aligned with the change in seasons on Thursday evenings.

Flagged laps do not count.
 2 users liked this post.
#38 Posted : Wednesday, August 14, 2019 8:40:08 AM(UTC)
I just wanted take the opportunity to thank you guys for making the game fun again. These challenges have definitely reinvigorated my interest in playing daily and while I'm nowhere near as skilled as some of you, I've definitely improved. So cheers to you all and I look forward to (hopefully) many more of these.
#39 Posted : Wednesday, August 14, 2019 9:31:19 AM(UTC)
Added a 166MM build with breeminator's ideas. Should be faster than my build with TCS on. Without TCS it can't handle the power as well as my version.
#40 Posted : Wednesday, August 14, 2019 2:19:26 PM(UTC)
Think I’m tapped out this week. Tried Rayne’s Ferrari and I can’t break 1.02 in that. Can’t get the power down at all in auto. Bree’s RWD 33S is a beautiful drive but I’ve driven what I’d regard as a near flawless Lap in that for a 1,01.8 - Midnite in the same car flies away from me on each straight (and I think he can improve that time quite significantly through the long right hander).

I’ll have to settle for being the quickest auto driver not in a BS as the only car I think I have a bit of extra in is the Daytona and I reckon the absolute best I could do in that is a 1.01.4.
#41 Posted : Wednesday, August 14, 2019 2:52:47 PM(UTC)
Think I’m tapped out this week. Tried Rayne’s Ferrari and I can’t break 1.02 in that. Can’t get the power down at all in auto. Bree’s RWD 33S is a beautiful drive....

Same here, although I improved my time with it I’m a little frustrated I haven’t really done it justice. I might squeeze in a couple of laps tomorrow depending on what time I get in from work. Ran the Shelby Daytona for about 10 laps & it was faster up to the long right handers until I stacked it every time 😏

Probably not going to run the Ferrari but by the sounds of it I’m better off leaving that one to the ‘Aliens’ - LoL 😆

Edited by user Wednesday, August 14, 2019 2:54:49 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

FH4 / FH3
#42 Posted : Wednesday, August 14, 2019 3:04:21 PM(UTC)
Bree - as fastest person this week who hasn’t picked yet, do you want to choose a combination for next week?
#43 Posted : Wednesday, August 14, 2019 3:41:50 PM(UTC)
Think I’m tapped out this week. Tried Rayne’s Ferrari and I can’t break 1.02 in that. Can’t get the power down at all in auto. Bree’s RWD 33S is a beautiful drive but I’ve driven what I’d regard as a near flawless Lap in that for a 1,01.8 - Midnite in the same car flies away from me on each straight (and I think he can improve that time quite significantly through the long right hander).

I don't know if you saw in the tune description that I advised to use manual with clutch. With some cars, upgrading clutch and gearbox costs significant PI, and the 33S is one of them, so it's significantly faster by upgrading those the bare minimum, spending the PI on power or weight saving instead, and relying on manual with clutch instead of upgraded parts for those. So I'm afraid it's just not going to be anywhere near as fast with auto.

Re the next selection, I'd quite like it to match the Trial again. I don't think there's any way to see the details in advance unless I change my system clock, but as the official advice from PG is that we shouldn't do that, I'm not going to. So is it okay if I pick something tomorrow when I've seen the Trial details?
#44 Posted : Wednesday, August 14, 2019 4:40:52 PM(UTC)
I just tried Rayne's Bullet v2. It's weird, you'd think it would really gain down the straight, but the TC must eat up the extra power, and my Bullet v1 ghost actually pulls away on the long straight until quite close to the end when the speed must become high enough for the TC to reduce and the extra power to start to count. v2 noticeably pulls away a bit better from low speeds in 5th. Overall I suspect v2 may be a teeny bit quicker, as I did 59.8 but with a lot fewer laps than it took me to do 59.6 with v1. I also tried it without TC and did 1:00.8 but I just don't find it enjoyable to drive a car like that, hardly ever able to apply full throttle.
#45 Posted : Thursday, August 15, 2019 4:42:19 AM(UTC)

I don't know if you saw in the tune description that I advised to use manual with clutch. With some cars, upgrading clutch and gearbox costs significant PI, and the 33S is one of them, so it's significantly faster by upgrading those the bare minimum, spending the PI on power or weight saving instead, and relying on manual with clutch instead of upgraded parts for those. So I'm afraid it's just not going to be anywhere near as fast with auto.

Re the next selection, I'd quite like it to match the Trial again. I don't think there's any way to see the details in advance unless I change my system clock, but as the official advice from PG is that we shouldn't do that, I'm not going to. So is it okay if I pick something tomorrow when I've seen the Trial details?

Sounds like a good plan. Timings work well.

I hadn’t read the description for the 33S but that makes sense. There’s a severe lag in the auto gear changes. Must put aside some time at some point to learn m/c but I just find the buttons fiddly on a controller.

#46 Posted : Thursday, August 15, 2019 5:10:12 AM(UTC)
I am a few seconds behind you guys in my '64 Ford GT40. My position is 440 and time is 01:04.816.
I never drove this car in Class A and it is a challenge! Probably spent an hour tweaking, tuning, lapping, so...... I might squeeze another 2 seconds with more effort.
I did a fast & dirty build (no tune) on the '65 Shelby Daytona Coupe, Porsche 718, and Ferrari 250 GTO. All three of these ran pretty well and nearly kept pace with the GT40 so I could probably beat the Ford with them........eventually. I did consider buying the $10M Ferrari LM, but looking at the discussion of Rayne SE's tune, I couldn't drive it at that level anyhow. By the way, great job with your Top 10 run! That is amazing! ........love these Classic Racers, probably my favorite car type now.
#47 Posted : Thursday, August 15, 2019 7:24:37 AM(UTC)
Okay....... my choice for this week.......

The Trial is S1 Track Toys.

We can't actually match the Trial, because it's a winter event. I thought about going for the Cotswold Sprint, and specifying that all tunes must use rally tyres, as they'd probably have been a decent choice for that track anyway, but the problem is Track Toys simply aren't competitive on that track, so we'd all be setting times that are miles off the pace.

What Track Toys can be competitive on is the Ambleside Village Circuit, with the Elise GT1 being the top car. I suspect, though, that to be competitive, a tune will need race tyres. However, I think most of the Trial would actually be okay on race tyres anyway, I might try it again with a race tyre equipped car, having just won it with a rally tyre Viper '16. Edit: just tried the Trial again, an extreme handling race tyre equipped Elise GT1 was fine, I beat all the drivatars on the other two tracks.

So, my pick is S1 Track Toys Ambleside Village Circuit. Can anyone make any other eligible car outperform the Elise GT1? Can anyone produce a tune that allows any of us to get into the top 10?

Edited by user Thursday, August 15, 2019 8:04:35 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

#48 Posted : Thursday, August 15, 2019 9:22:49 AM(UTC)
It's definitely an interesting driving challenge, there are a lot of opportunities for differentiation in those 40 or so seconds. I drove my Elise GT1 against the #1 ghost and did 42.8 (49th place), over 2.8 seconds off the pace. But I felt like it was mostly differences in how well we were driving it, rather than an obvious tune difference. My tune would definitely benefit from very specific tuning of 2nd to 4th gears for that specific track, e.g. there's one spot where I have to shift to 3rd for a very short time, then back down to 2nd, so making 2nd a teeny bit longer to just stay in 2nd would probably work better. And 3rd is a bit longer than ideal, I think it could usefully be shortened. But my feeling so far is that this one will mainly be about driving more than tuning. I'll wait to see what Rayne comes up with, though!
 1 user liked this post.
#49 Posted : Thursday, August 15, 2019 10:21:46 AM(UTC)
So to wrap up last week - Astmoor Heritage, A Class, Classic Racers

Rayne SE : 59.259 (Ferrari 166MM - 10th overall)
Breeminator : 59.693 (same car - 17th)
Midnyte Dubh : 1.01.161 (33S - 73rd)
Jezza14 : 1.01.564 (Shelby Daytona - 94th)
Tilo38 : 1.02.029 (#2 GT40 - 121st)
BlevinsM : 1.03.063 (Shelby Daytona - 210th)

Just picked out names from the list in top 250 so apologies to anyone I’ve missed.
#50 Posted : Thursday, August 15, 2019 10:28:19 AM(UTC)
It's definitely an interesting driving challenge, there are a lot of opportunities for differentiation in those 40 or so seconds. I drove my Elise GT1 against the #1 ghost and did 42.8 (49th place), over 2.8 seconds off the pace. But I felt like it was mostly differences in how well we were driving it, rather than an obvious tune difference. My tune would definitely benefit from very specific tuning of 2nd to 4th gears for that specific track, e.g. there's one spot where I have to shift to 3rd for a very short time, then back down to 2nd, so making 2nd a teeny bit longer to just stay in 2nd would probably work better. And 3rd is a bit longer than ideal, I think it could usefully be shortened. But my feeling so far is that this one will mainly be about driving more than tuning. I'll wait to see what Rayne comes up with, though!

Was just coming in here to say props on the track choice, I forgot how much I like this circuit. I wouldn't expect it to feel flow-y at all but if I get the line juuuust right it feels like a properly flow-y track. And to get that line right there’s some awesome/terrifying blind cuts/inside lines.. fun! (Is there a technical term for “flow-y” sorry idk how to racetrack lingo)

The gearing on this track is a trip for sure. It’s been a lot of 2nd, 3rd, and missed shifts in quick succession for me.

But I’m like 3 seconds behind your time with my BAC. Ugh. I am now disappointed in myself and pinning my hopes on this rotary Caterham :/
3 Pages123PrevNext

Notification

Icon
Error