This site uses cookies for analytics and personalized content. By continuing to browse this site, you agree to this use. Learn more
3 Pages123Prev
#51 Posted : Friday, August 23, 2019 10:55:58 PM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: NumberlessMath Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: opencamswrx Go to Quoted Post

Photo 1: The LaF in real life has a very satisfying bright red glow to the brake lights not bright orange or yellow. The Venom GT in front of my car has more realistic looking brake lights but the inside tail lights seem orange to me, not red.

The color is fine but there should be a least some bloom if the "camera" is over-exposed. All the detail in the taillights.. should be blurred or obscured if the color is distorted so far. That's what stands out to me.

The ambient-light taillight color shift effect is a good idea, but it needs refinement and consistency across conditions (strongest at night, absent in bright daylight). Right now it's just immersion-breaking--"who replaced my brake lights with turn signals?"

Red LEDs should never appear yellow--they don't produce any other wavelengths than visible red. Overexposure turns them pink, eventually white. White LEDs filtered to red could overexpose to yellow. AFAIK reds are cheaper to make, and brighter than filtered whites, so most LED tails have red diodes.

What kind of screen are you on? Are you seeing washed out or otherwise funny looking tail lights in FM7, FH4 and PCARS2 under specific track conditions only?

I was driving at Road Atlanta the other day, and it kind of **** ed me off to see bright orange brake lights on my 70s Trans Am!
#52 Posted : Saturday, August 24, 2019 12:17:32 PM(UTC)
FH4 has the opposite problem. Too many tails over-expose to white/pink, instead of orange, like they should. They never wash out though. If they turn white it's only in the brightest area and accompanied by bloom. Overall, it feels natural. I haven't touched FM7 or PCars 2 in a while.

LEDs, pink/white overexposure.

These should have more orange-y lights.

Only car I could find with properly orange over-exposure due to white incandescent bulbs.

Edit: I've found pictures of incandescent taillights with pink over-exposure. Most are orange/yellow.. but by that point there is strong blooming too, occluding the detail and blurring the shape of the lens/cluster. To reasonably shift the color of tails all the way to yellow, or white, overwhelming bloom should be present as well...

I use an LG 25UM58-P. It's a 25-inch, 1080p 21:9. It's like a 27-inch 1440p with 360 vertical pixels removed.

Edited by user Saturday, August 24, 2019 3:42:12 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

1 user liked this post.
#53 Posted : Saturday, August 24, 2019 10:57:41 PM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: NumberlessMath Go to Quoted Post
FH4 has the opposite problem. Too many tails over-expose to white/pink, instead of orange, like they should. They never wash out though. If they turn white it's only in the brightest area and accompanied by bloom. Overall, it feels natural. I haven't touched FM7 or PCars 2 in a while.

LEDs, pink/white overexposure.

These should have more orange-y lights.

Only car I could find with properly orange over-exposure due to white incandescent bulbs.

Edit: I've found pictures of incandescent taillights with pink over-exposure. Most are orange/yellow.. but by that point there is strong blooming too, occluding the detail and blurring the shape of the lens/cluster. To reasonably shift the color of tails all the way to yellow, or white, overwhelming bloom should be present as well...

I use an LG 25UM58-P. It's a 25-inch, 1080p 21:9. It's like a 27-inch 1440p with 360 vertical pixels removed.

I get the exact same tail lights in FH4 as well. They're nowhere as washed out, flat or just eerily bright yellow as FM7 but, thankfully, at least they somewhat resemble real tail lights. If they copy/paste FH4's tail lights into FM7, honestly I'd be happy with those.
#54 Posted : Saturday, October 19, 2019 4:11:18 PM(UTC)
Thanks for this thread, because it's all I kept thinking about while watching today's ForzaRC Invitational! 😂
#55 Posted : Sunday, October 20, 2019 1:01:48 AM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: seanbil Go to Quoted Post
Thanks for this thread, because it's all I kept thinking about while watching today's ForzaRC Invitational! 😂

Oo-kay - my sarcasm detection meter is about to break....
#56 Posted : Wednesday, November 6, 2019 8:28:06 AM(UTC)
I am using an HDR enabled LG OLED TV and I have it setup to use HDR in Forza Motorsport 7 and I still am able to see the those "orange" break lights. I think it's less of a problem with the HDR implementation and more of a design choice by the developers.

To be honest I would not have noticed this without people talking about it here and actually it doesn't change my enjoyment of the game. I stumbled upon this topic while trying to figure out why each tunnel is so dark in this game, since the car headlights cast no light on those tracks, but I could improve the issue by raising the brightness in the main menu options.
#57 Posted : Tuesday, November 12, 2019 11:28:59 PM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: Fejer Go to Quoted Post
I am using an HDR enabled LG OLED TV and I have it setup to use HDR in Forza Motorsport 7 and I still am able to see the those "orange" break lights. I think it's less of a problem with the HDR implementation and more of a design choice by the developers.

To be honest I would not have noticed this without people talking about it here and actually it doesn't change my enjoyment of the game. I stumbled upon this topic while trying to figure out why each tunnel is so dark in this game, since the car headlights cast no light on those tracks, but I could improve the issue by raising the brightness in the main menu options.

Thanks for lending your thoughts - I knew this was not a TV-specific issue. The brake lights seem to lean more towards bright orange, even bright yellow under specific track counditions like too cloudy or overcast - or early morning, late afternoon settings. And, around certain parts of the track, they will start to glow orange.

It is wildly inconsistent and clearly shows an issue with the auto-exposure feature of the game. The brake lights look perfectly okay to me in FM5 and 6. It doesn't change my enjoyment of the game either - but makes me wonder why it's even an issue to begin with, since they were so heavily advertising 4K/HDR/60 fps from the get-go. I might have been okay with it if it were an issue in older FM games - but it's never been one, so why now?

Is there even a quality testing team in the company anymore?
#58 Posted : Wednesday, November 13, 2019 5:17:18 AM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: opencamswrx Go to Quoted Post
The brake lights look perfectly okay to me in FM5 and 6. It doesn't change my enjoyment of the game either - but makes me wonder why it's even an issue to begin with, since they were so heavily advertising 4K/HDR/60 fps from the get-go. I might have been okay with it if it were an issue in older FM games - but it's never been one, so why now?

Like I mentioned I believe it is a design choice. My guess is that the art directors wanted to sell an artistically more gloomy and more dramatic looking game, maybe even so the HDR contrast is more eye-popping when you have bright light sources in dark images. The rain sections certainly look way more darker in FM 7 than in FM 6, here is a nice comparison video showing the difference between FM 6 & FM 7 in rain:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZzLQjGY-Cx4
Another theory I have since those tail lights are now more visible during low-light races (in FM6 you can barely tell if the tail light is on or not) the developers/designers maybe decided to use orange break lights so the player can tell if cars in front are actually breaking or not.

Also found a nice video showing off the orange tail lights during a night race:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BoGnxhXk9_8&t=27
Here's a screenshot:
FM7 Orange Tail Light

Edited by user Wednesday, November 13, 2019 7:41:46 AM(UTC)  | Reason: replaced "darker" by "gloomy"

3 Pages123Prev

Notification

Icon
Error