This site uses cookies for analytics and personalized content. By continuing to browse this site, you agree to this use. Learn more
3 Pages123Prev
#51 Posted : Friday, August 23, 2019 10:55:58 PM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: NumberlessMath Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: opencamswrx Go to Quoted Post

Photo 1: The LaF in real life has a very satisfying bright red glow to the brake lights not bright orange or yellow. The Venom GT in front of my car has more realistic looking brake lights but the inside tail lights seem orange to me, not red.

The color is fine but there should be a least some bloom if the "camera" is over-exposed. All the detail in the taillights.. should be blurred or obscured if the color is distorted so far. That's what stands out to me.

The ambient-light taillight color shift effect is a good idea, but it needs refinement and consistency across conditions (strongest at night, absent in bright daylight). Right now it's just immersion-breaking--"who replaced my brake lights with turn signals?"

Red LEDs should never appear yellow--they don't produce any other wavelengths than visible red. Overexposure turns them pink, eventually white. White LEDs filtered to red could overexpose to yellow. AFAIK reds are cheaper to make, and brighter than filtered whites, so most LED tails have red diodes.

What kind of screen are you on? Are you seeing washed out or otherwise funny looking tail lights in FM7, FH4 and PCARS2 under specific track conditions only?

I was driving at Road Atlanta the other day, and it kind of **** ed me off to see bright orange brake lights on my 70s Trans Am!
#52 Posted : Saturday, August 24, 2019 12:17:32 PM(UTC)
FH4 has the opposite problem. Too many tails over-expose to white/pink, instead of orange, like they should. They never wash out though. If they turn white it's only in the brightest area and accompanied by bloom. Overall, it feels natural. I haven't touched FM7 or PCars 2 in a while.

LEDs, pink/white overexposure.

These should have more orange-y lights.

Only car I could find with properly orange over-exposure due to white incandescent bulbs.

Edit: I've found pictures of incandescent taillights with pink over-exposure. Most are orange/yellow.. but by that point there is strong blooming too, occluding the detail and blurring the shape of the lens/cluster. To reasonably shift the color of tails all the way to yellow, or white, overwhelming bloom should be present as well...

I use an LG 25UM58-P. It's a 25-inch, 1080p 21:9. It's like a 27-inch 1440p with 360 vertical pixels removed.

Edited by user Saturday, August 24, 2019 3:42:12 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

1 user liked this post.
#53 Posted : Saturday, August 24, 2019 10:57:41 PM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: NumberlessMath Go to Quoted Post
FH4 has the opposite problem. Too many tails over-expose to white/pink, instead of orange, like they should. They never wash out though. If they turn white it's only in the brightest area and accompanied by bloom. Overall, it feels natural. I haven't touched FM7 or PCars 2 in a while.

LEDs, pink/white overexposure.

These should have more orange-y lights.

Only car I could find with properly orange over-exposure due to white incandescent bulbs.

Edit: I've found pictures of incandescent taillights with pink over-exposure. Most are orange/yellow.. but by that point there is strong blooming too, occluding the detail and blurring the shape of the lens/cluster. To reasonably shift the color of tails all the way to yellow, or white, overwhelming bloom should be present as well...

I use an LG 25UM58-P. It's a 25-inch, 1080p 21:9. It's like a 27-inch 1440p with 360 vertical pixels removed.

I get the exact same tail lights in FH4 as well. They're nowhere as washed out, flat or just eerily bright yellow as FM7 but, thankfully, at least they somewhat resemble real tail lights. If they copy/paste FH4's tail lights into FM7, honestly I'd be happy with those.
3 Pages123Prev

Notification

Icon
Error