This site uses cookies for analytics and personalized content. By continuing to browse this site, you agree to this use. Learn more
3 Pages123PrevNext
#26 Posted : Wednesday, June 4, 2014 9:23:35 PM(UTC)
I am excited to see the Drivatars system implemented in FH2. The biggest problem with them right now is in FM5, it's a crash-fest to get into the lead. Too-short races and oodles of casual players bashing their way out front with damage turned off make the problem. Once more arcadey racing games come out, we should see fewer casual racers and less idiotic Drivatars.

I drive a Mustang. Your argument is invalid.
 1 user liked this post.
#27 Posted : Thursday, June 5, 2014 6:50:10 AM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: G3neral Carn4ge Go to Quoted Post
I think for street racing it drivatars are good cos if you look at Horizon 1 they all follow the line and rarely deter from it unless you or an NPC car is in the way, which isnt realistic, you look at Fast and furious or the Midnight club series, the cars move around much more without following a set line all the time, so im interested to see how this will fare

Good reasoning, I'm agreeing with you. The main goal for the Drivatar AIs is to make the illusion that they're actual AIs.
#28 Posted : Thursday, June 5, 2014 7:26:19 AM(UTC)
I love the fact drivatars are coming to Horizon and that what they've learned in FM5 carries over. Of course, they will be learning more on the open road, but it'll be interesting to see what my friends are doing even when they aren't on.
#29 Posted : Thursday, June 5, 2014 7:34:19 AM(UTC)
If I play H2 the same way has H1, and I will, people are really going to hate my drivatars. I spent at least 50% of my time torturing AI in the first one, and now I get the fun of teaching drivatars how to get stuck on the terrain, (and any other mean/silly thing I can think of). Look out world!
I would race you, but a dog ate my station wagon.
Who's on first?
#30 Posted : Friday, June 6, 2014 8:47:57 AM(UTC)
I like the drivatar system, the biggest and quickest thing to learn and observe was that novice drivers all head to the inside of the turns. So, give all the knuckleheads as much room to pile up on the inside of the turns, and pass them all on the outside.

Also, if you go into settings and move your drivatar level up to advanced, there is a lot less piling up in the corners, better braking, and less cars zig-zagging down a straight-away. It's more challenging because the drivatars are likely driving more like you are. It becomes more of a challenge and is in turn more fun.

I am new to xbox and forza, is there an objective within Horizon or is it all open driving?

I also enjoy racing on RaceRoom on steam using a PC and a forcefeedback steering wheel.
#31 Posted : Friday, June 6, 2014 8:56:22 AM(UTC)
dont mind drivitards tbh as long as they introduce a way of blocking the game breaking ones that wreck your race
big telly, coffee, choccy hobnobs...nuff said
Xbox GT RetroNoob
Twitter @tacticallunatic
Mixer https://mixer.com/SirFragMatic
#32 Posted : Friday, June 6, 2014 9:28:11 AM(UTC)
Horizon isn't a game about proper racing techniques. Who cares if the drivatars drive terribly.

The big reason they are so bad in fm5 is because of T10s questionable choice of making the majority of the races 2 laps in length. Hard to race clean with a mad dash to the front
#33 Posted : Friday, June 6, 2014 9:41:02 AM(UTC)
The only difference I've seen from A.I. in FM4 to Drivatar in FM5 is that drivatars go a bit faster and like to ram you off of the track more often.

I'm not really looking forward to seeing them again at all. But hopefully Turn 10/Playground make them way better.
Forza Twitch & Mixer mod.
Painter.
#34 Posted : Saturday, June 7, 2014 2:45:40 AM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: DOHC46 Go to Quoted Post
I am excited to see the Drivatars system implemented in FH2. The biggest problem with them right now is in FM5, it's a crash-fest to get into the lead. Too-short races and oodles of casual players bashing their way out front with damage turned off make the problem. Once more arcadey racing games come out, we should see fewer casual racers and less idiotic Drivatars.

It's a casual drivers game !!. You do more freeroam driving then races. So you are going to get casual drivers more then hardcore racers.

Edited by user Saturday, June 7, 2014 2:52:38 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Keep it on the Black stuff.
 2 users liked this post.
#35 Posted : Saturday, June 7, 2014 5:55:49 AM(UTC)
It would be nice if the user had the ability to turn on/off the drivitar during game play.
#36 Posted : Saturday, June 7, 2014 6:13:22 AM(UTC)
As much as I like the drivatars in FM5 when they work (Still completely broken on Silverstone and Long Beach), I think they will be AWESOME in FH2 due to the more chaotic nature of the game. Drivatars learning wild shortcuts is going to be hilarious. Imagine the carnage in the cross country races. I'm stoked.
#37 Posted : Saturday, June 7, 2014 6:58:53 AM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: SatNiteEduardo Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Flaw3d Genius Go to Quoted Post
I know my experience with drivatars differs from many other players. I prefer the drivatars in FM5 to the AI in FM4.

Those I race against are somewhat unpredictable but don't seem to get up to much of the mischief I see complained about on the forums.

They are fresh to race against, not dull like normal AI.

So yeah I am happy they are coming to Horizon 2.

My only concern is that player behaviour in the original Horizon was worse than it is in FM5. I just hope the drivatars don't learn all of the shenanigans.

You race on Unbeatable right? Do Drivatars overtake you? I find with me they very rarely do and now the vast majority of the time i race to 2nd and never see a car again.

Just how good are the Drivatars you race against?

Once I get in the top 3 I can be overtaken if I make a mistake. If not I don't think they overtake but pace wise they need to get quicker on unbeatable.

In my career races there can be minor contact but rarely is it over the top with sideswipes, brake checks etc

As SatNiteEduardo describes, this is exactly the same for me (also on Unbeatable). The first lap can be a bit of a pain to get round some of the cars, especially on the tigther tracks, but this all enhances the feel of racing. Usually i end up being in the top 3 by the end of lap 1, then either i manage to stay ahead if i am 1st, or the real fight starts to try and overtake the 1st and/or 2nd placed cars. Most of the time i have no problem with the drivatars, some contact here or there, but no sideswipes, smashing in the rear, brake tests, etc.
Quite often i end up with a real nice fight to try and overtake the 1st placed car, where i really have to line up the other car and going for the overtaking, sometimes being overtaken back if you outbrake yourself just a bit... ends up being a lot of fun.
So yes, i am happy that the drivatars make it into Horizon 2. Loved the first one, so hope the 2nd one is going to be at least as much fun.
#38 Posted : Saturday, June 7, 2014 9:44:39 AM(UTC)
Gamers having issues with drivatars need to go to the rivals S class leader board and select yourself as the rival so you can follow your fastest lap. If you are leaving a cloud of smoke entering the first turn of Mazda Laguna Seca or Spa, you are guilty of brake checking, at least according to the game. If I do Career using LB cars and drive well I am given a hole (looks like the drivatar is brake checking) to dive thru, even on Long Beast. If I blow it I have to restart.
#39 Posted : Sunday, June 8, 2014 11:42:07 AM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: miniw76 Go to Quoted Post

It's a casual drivers game !!. You do more freeroam driving then races. So you are going to get casual drivers more then hardcore racers.

Uhm, DOHC is hoping that FM5 gets better with FH2 and other games come out. Leaves the more serious driver (mostly clean) at FM5 and more casual drivers play the others.

I'm for drivatars- and the only time I stray under unbeatable is when I'm racing a class underneath actual race.

I wish my friends drivatars were faster and ran in thier tuned cars (I wouldn't win as much and then it would be more like real life) there is no way I should blow passed Greeksniper for instance. No matter the car.
#40 Posted : Sunday, June 8, 2014 6:05:46 PM(UTC)
My biggest issue with the drivatar system is that it doesn't filter bad drivers at all. I have had so many races ruined in FM5 due to simply stupid moves made by the drivatars. Moves that would never be used by a semi cognitive driver. If they fix it, great. However, my worries will be solidly in place until Turn10 and Playground Games proves me (hopefully) wrong.
Forza Faithful Since May 3rd, 2005
Former technician
#41 Posted : Tuesday, June 10, 2014 4:14:22 AM(UTC)
I think that drivatars have been in Forza 1, 2, 3 and 4, they only didn't call them that in 3 of those titles. They're all based upon AI from Microsoft research. The biggest problem with the AI in FM5 was the aggressiveness. I have been told that the aggressiveness of the drivertars in FM Horizon has been toned down. I think this is all they needed other than a little less random braking.
#42 Posted : Tuesday, June 10, 2014 4:32:02 AM(UTC)
For now, I'm indifferent. The introduction of the Drivatar system wasn't the revolution they promised us, but they didn't work as badly as some people say either.

Hopefully Horizon 2 will receive improved Drivatars to go with the improved graphics.
FH4 Paints | Gallery
#43 Posted : Tuesday, June 10, 2014 5:56:57 AM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: miniw76 Go to Quoted Post

Gents. It's a game for fans of vehicles and driving and for those who are, ultimately, willing to purchase and play. This casual/hardcore classification is nonsense and has nothing to do with the implementation of Drivatars. Can we keep this discussion on track?

Edited by user Tuesday, June 10, 2014 5:58:07 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

1 user liked this post.
#44 Posted : Sunday, June 15, 2014 4:42:27 AM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: Wo1f 08 Go to Quoted Post
Personally it's the worse news possible for me, I got forza 5 on day one and I'm now at level 72 why? Because I hate drivatars.

Drivatars for me are a huge leap backwards, T10's Ai system had come a long way since the forza 1 days of drivatars and they just ruin a really good game imho.

That all depends... Is Forza Horizon 2 going to have a destruction derby mode? If so then, yes, drivatars have a place in FH2. Otherwise no, absolutely without a doubt the worst AI in a racing game, period.

It's impossible to race among a pack of drivatars because the developers appear to have left out the basic principle that this is a non-contact sport. Inappropriate breaking makes cars in front and behind lethal adversaries and an inability to yield the driving line means you're just as vulnerable from the side.

...and the AI pile-ups, wow, it's like reliving the scene from Pixar's cars where Lightning picks his way through the carnage, and this is a regular occurrence. Oddest of all though, did nobody playtest Long Beach before release? I don't think I recall a drivatar making it around "the garden" unscathed yet.

For me Forza's AI peaked with Forza 3, it was fast but fair. If I want to watch maniacs driving I'll go race online where there are plenty of them but leave the chaos out of single player and let us RACE!

:-)

P.S. I may be a little biased at this very moment as I've just finished a race on Road Atlanta where the drivatars had fashioned a makeshift roadblock the entire width of the track leaving no way past until they'd untangled themselves.
 3 users liked this post.
#45 Posted : Sunday, June 15, 2014 1:30:15 PM(UTC)
What I imagined when I found out about Forza 5 drivatars:

What I imagine Forza Horizon 2 drivatars will be like:

Edited by user Sunday, June 15, 2014 1:41:13 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

#46 Posted : Monday, June 16, 2014 12:59:45 AM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: Flaw3d Genius Go to Quoted Post
I know my experience with drivatars differs from many other players. I prefer the drivatars in FM5 to the AI in FM4.

Those I race against are somewhat unpredictable but don't seem to get up to much of the mischief I see complained about on the forums.

They are fresh to race against, not dull like normal AI.

So yeah I am happy they are coming to Horizon 2.

My only concern is that player behaviour in the original Horizon was worse than it is in FM5. I just hope the drivatars don't learn all of the shenanigans.

You race on Unbeatable right? Do Drivatars overtake you? I find with me they very rarely do and now the vast majority of the time i race to 2nd and never see a car again.

Just how good are the Drivatars you race against?

I drive on the second highest difficulty and the grid is fairly tame. I get overtaken if the opponent has a faster car on the straights, or I brake too early so they dive on the inside. Sometimes there is a drivatar that brakes really late into corners and cuts me off. I think the best strategy when dealing with drivatars is threading through all the chaos right off the start line - you'll be in a world full of hurt if you're stuck between a slow road hogger who can't drive straight. Usually the cars up front are much more predictable, and once you passed them you could focus on setting a lap time or two.
#47 Posted : Monday, June 16, 2014 1:12:47 AM(UTC)
It would be a good idea to implement the option to change the drivatar's aggression level to go alongside the difficulty level, and also have an option to block certain friends' drivatars.
#48 Posted : Monday, June 16, 2014 1:14:50 PM(UTC)
If you asked me week 1 after release of FM5 then I would've agreed that the drivatars are a nuisance that cause too much havoc and don't have a clue how to race. Today I load a race against drivatars in unbeatable mode and they behave like humans and not like a programmed AI that had no concept of racing line when driving next to other cars. I think the amount of data available during the first few weeks is just not sufficient to act like real drivers.

Hopefully there will be some tweaks as knowledge is gained but I'm much less distracted by them today. There is no perfect solution but I hope drivatars stay around and they keep improving it over time.
#49 Posted : Monday, June 16, 2014 1:22:06 PM(UTC)
Yea that pretty cool that Drivatars will be in Forza Horizon 2. But my question is will there be deep tuning? I really hated the fact that in Forza Horizon all you could do to your car was add new parts, I would really like to tune my cars instead of them just being upgraded.
#50 Posted : Monday, June 16, 2014 1:29:38 PM(UTC)
As someone who has played quite a few console racing games I quite like the drivatars in FM5. It can be annoying at times, especially in you`re on a clean lap, and then get hit, but its a vast improvement on the AI in games like GT6. If you get in the lead on GT you can virtually fall asleep till you finish. At least in FM their is a sense of competition.
3 Pages123PrevNext

Notification

Icon
Error