2 users liked this post.
#1 Posted : Sunday, April 21, 2019 9:25:56 AM(UTC)
I'm quite concerned for the future of the Forza franchise after what I've observed from the last 3 Forza titled games, especially now that an existing subpar mobile racer has been updated to be part of the Forza franchise.

When I started playing Forza with FH1, Forza was a true top-notch AAA racing franchise. FM4 had picked up the torch from GT's fall and ran forwards with it, producing one of the best track racing games to date. FH1 was a fresh take on the open world racing franchise, setting itself apart from NFS and TDU with a high quality vehicle simulation and large car roster.

FM5 was a major stumble, but was at least understandable given the transition difficulty from the Xbox 360 to the Xbox One. FH2 fared much better, but still had some regressions from FH1 in terms of game structure, trading a story for a checklist grind, and marked the beginning of the transition of FH from a realistic open-world racer to an over-the-top one with the crazy offroad events and game balance that allowed hypercars to be faster cross country than purpose-built trophy trucks. FM6 was a solid improvement on FM5 in every way and is a good game, although it still didn't quite reach feature parity with FM4 and had a few strange design choices like vehicle mods that bent the laws of physics.

FH3 is a very good game and was a solid improvement over FH2 in most areas, but also introduced some troubling things to the Forza franchise. The offroad insanity was doubled down on, extending the cross country blight, handling was intentionally made more slidy to favor drifting beginning the drift craze in Forza, and, worst of all, Forzathons entered the picture with their time-gated vehicles. To be clear, I have nothing against drifting or cross country per se, but when the overall handling model is compromised to favor drifting and there's a disproportionately large number of off road races relative to the percentage of vehicles in-game that are actually suitable for them there's a problem. At the end of FH3's weekly events, the exclusive cars remained locked and forever unobtainable, setting a terrible precedent for how exclusive vehicles will be handled going forwards.

FM7 was a shock to Forza fans. Multiplayer, the lifeblood of the game for many players, was gutted, the drift physics from FH3 infected the game making racing significantly less enjoyable, overall quality tanked with tons of bugs and quality/polish/lag issues, lootboxes were introduced, and an excessive number of vehicles in the much-touted car car roster were locked and unable to be obtained except at the whims of the devs to offer them in weekly challenges or other special events. To be fair, FM7 has improved dramatically since launch with most of the major issues having been addressed (like unlocking all the cars), but the taint to the brand didn't end there.

FH4 made nearly exactly the same mistakes as FM7 did with respect to its predecessor and didn't seem to learn anything. Multiplayer was a sad shell of its former self, wheelspins (lootboxes by a different name) were doubled down on and made into the main reward mechanism, progression felt like a cheap and abusive Free to Play or Games as a Service title, and the number of locked exclusive vehicles skyrocketed over FH3. There were a few improvements with PI balance and such, but overall it was a big step backwards, especially in overall quality. Despite lots of patches and updates, all these issues still persist and in the case of locked vehicles have been doubled down on with the festival playlist and rising Forzathon shop prices making even more work each week to get them and the new exclusive cars added each week further bloat the exclusive vehicle backlog.

Just a few days ago Forza Street was announced. This is the saddest title yet, and has zero business being part of the Forza franchise. It's an existing subpar mobile microtransaction-laden "racing" game (I struggle to even call it racing) that apparently wasn't doing well, so someone had the bright idea to put lipstick on a pig and put the Forza name on it to try to make it more successful.

Despite the improvements made in FM7, the current sad state of FH4 and now Forza Street tells me that someone at MS who is in a position to call the shots does not care one bit about the Forza franchise and is fully intent on milking the name for all it's worth, not caring if they run it into the ground so long as they can make a few bucks doing it. Unless things change soon, I don't see a bright future for Forza games at this point if they're more concerned about how they can exploit players and abuse the Forza name to make a quick buck than actually making a quality game that people will want to pay for. I hope I'm wrong and that what we're seeing now is the tail end of a major misstep that will be corrected soon, but I'm not going to hold my breath.

If anyone at MS, Turn 10 or PG reads this, please take a step back and really think about what you're doing to the Forza franchise. You're one of the few entities who can pull of a good car game between your resources, talent and relationships with car manufacturers, don't squander and throw away what you have and burn goodwill with players (and long term, the car manufacturers) in the chase for short-term profits at the expense of the reputation of the franchise. It will cost you MUCH more time and money to regain lost reputation than you will have gained from this short-sighted chase after maximum profits (which at the end of the day won't maximize your profits anyways since you've sabotaged the future of the franchise).

Edited by user Sunday, April 21, 2019 9:36:24 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

1 user liked this post.
#2 Posted : Wednesday, April 24, 2019 5:31:26 AM(UTC)
This always happens in big companies.

Forza is greater than Turn 10, but they don't admit it. They will never admit and will always pursue the new trends trying to fit in.

Really, Turn 10 should swallow their pride and leave Forza alone. They should try creating other franchises but leave Forza alone with it's legendary quality. Just create other franchises to burn out from Forza a little bit.
We are more than happy to welcome and try whatever new you create. But why taint Forza like this...
#3 Posted : Friday, April 26, 2019 7:07:45 PM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: Tatl360 Go to Quoted Post

Forza is greater than Turn 10, but they don't admit it. They will never admit and will always pursue the new trends trying to fit in.

Really, Turn 10 should swallow their pride and leave Forza alone. They should try creating other franchises but leave Forza alone with it's legendary quality. Just create other franchises to burn out from Forza a little bit.
We are more than happy to welcome and try whatever new you create. But why taint Forza like this...

How about no?
If you dont like Forza any more dont play it.
If is not what you want then give your feedback on how to improve it.

But I want more Forza games, they are still making the best games in their respective segments.

1 user liked this post.
#4 Posted : Sunday, April 28, 2019 9:59:41 AM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: Paladin CL Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Tatl360 Go to Quoted Post

How about no?
If you dont like Forza any more dont play it.
If is not what you want then give your feedback on how to improve it.

But I want more Forza games, they are still making the best games in their respective segments.

What are you talking about. My feedback is right there. To leave Forza as Forza and not use Forza as phone games.

Notification

Icon
Error