This site uses cookies for analytics and personalized content. By continuing to browse this site, you agree to this use. Learn more
2 Pages12Next
#1 Posted : Wednesday, April 10, 2019 11:21:43 AM(UTC)
Tried to use it, no success. All I can see is a semi-transparent shape, and I don't know what that means.
#2 Posted : Wednesday, April 10, 2019 11:32:40 AM(UTC)
Basically you select a shape or layer group and apply the mask, it cuts that shape/group through all the layers below the mask to the base paint color.

Edited by user Wednesday, April 10, 2019 11:34:57 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

#3 Posted : Wednesday, April 10, 2019 12:38:18 PM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: Guest Go to Quoted Post
Basically you select a shape or layer group and apply the mask, it cuts that shape/group through all the layers below the mask to the base paint color.

OK I'll try, I'm still confused.
 1 user liked this post.
#4 Posted : Wednesday, April 10, 2019 1:35:33 PM(UTC)
Managed to get a few minutes to play around with the new Masking feature & I think it’s got some potential.…

How it looks in the editor:

1 = original layer group made of solid shapes
2 = complete layer group masked
3 = only black layers masked
4 = only white layers masked

How it looks on a car:

Edited by user Wednesday, April 10, 2019 1:42:34 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

FM7 / FM6 / FM4 / FM3 / FM2
FH4 / FH3
#5 Posted : Wednesday, April 10, 2019 3:36:19 PM(UTC)
Oh I see so the editor doesn't show the mask working... that's strange.
#6 Posted : Wednesday, April 10, 2019 6:16:55 PM(UTC)
I guess I'm missing something. I see an additional menu option "Apply a Mask Shape". That seems to work as expected, but it only allows application of basic primatives and predefined shapes. What option allows application of a vinyl group as a mask?
#7 Posted : Wednesday, April 10, 2019 6:23:08 PM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: PlumCrazy010 Go to Quoted Post
I guess I'm missing something. I see an additional menu option "Apply a Mask Shape". That seems to work as expected, but it only allows application of basic primatives and predefined shapes. What option allows application of a vinyl group as a mask?

I made a group, and it said make Mask From group... although after that point I was lost. Anyway, it looks like gold paint is finally here.

Edited by user Wednesday, April 10, 2019 6:26:08 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

#8 Posted : Wednesday, April 10, 2019 6:28:23 PM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: AquaPainter168 Go to Quoted Post

I made a group, and it said make Mask From group... although after that point I was lost. Anyway, it looks like gold paint is finally here.

Thanks. It seems if you highlight the layers you want to make negative, there is an option to "Create Mask from Selected Layers". Not as intuitive as I might have hoped, but it will be extremely useful.
#9 Posted : Wednesday, April 10, 2019 6:53:20 PM(UTC)
It's a great feature, but it has an unfortunate limitation. It seems the mask cuts through everything beneath it. You cannot scope it using groups. In the example below it masks out all layer groups below it, including the semi-transparent biasing layer that is intended to boost the base color.

#10 Posted : Wednesday, April 10, 2019 7:52:44 PM(UTC)
…it looks like gold paint is finally here.

To be fair Aqua, it’s always been possible to have that effect, now it’s just less fiddly - or at least, it uses less layers 😉

It's a great feature, but it has an unfortunate limitation. It seems the mask cuts through everything beneath it.

I forgot to mention that’s why I put the blue layer behind my masked layer groups to illustrate that. Also not sure if there’s a way to add borders to masked text (didn’t have enough time to play around with it last night) so we might still have to employ the old method at times:

FM7 / FM6 / FM4 / FM3 / FM2
FH4 / FH3
#11 Posted : Thursday, April 11, 2019 1:16:41 AM(UTC)
It's a great feature, but it has an unfortunate limitation. It seems the mask cuts through everything beneath it. You cannot scope it using groups. In the example below it masks out all layer groups below it, including the semi-transparent biasing layer that is intended to boost the base color.

You should be able to boost the base colour from the top instead of the bottom so that you use the Cola shape with transparency instead of a square tile.
#12 Posted : Thursday, April 11, 2019 1:18:39 AM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: MIDNYTE DUBH Go to Quoted Post
…it looks like gold paint is finally here.

To be fair Aqua, it’s always been possible to have that effect, now it’s just less fiddly - or at least, it uses less layers 😉

It's a great feature, but it has an unfortunate limitation. It seems the mask cuts through everything beneath it.

I forgot to mention that’s why I put the blue layer behind my masked layer groups to illustrate that. Also not sure if there’s a way to add borders to masked text (didn’t have enough time to play around with it last night) so we might still have to employ the old method at times:

I've used gold the other way, but inverted coca cola would be a nightmare.
#13 Posted : Thursday, April 11, 2019 2:21:32 AM(UTC)

Thanks. It seems if you highlight the layers you want to make negative, there is an option to "Create Mask from Selected Layers". Not as intuitive as I might have hoped, but it will be extremely useful.

Not trying to offend at all, but the process needed to create a layer mask from a vinyl group is literally a single step by selecting the clearly labeled option that says 'Create Mask from Selected Layers'. How could it possibly be any more intuitive than that? How would you propose it to possibly be any simpler?

Edited by user Thursday, April 11, 2019 2:23:31 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

1 user liked this post.
#14 Posted : Thursday, April 11, 2019 2:26:25 AM(UTC)

Yes .... that is the obvious next feature of the tool and what we have been asking for for a long time. This is a great first step, but they need to continue to develop it and not just leave it as is now.
#15 Posted : Thursday, April 11, 2019 3:48:00 AM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: PTG Wildcat Go to Quoted Post

Yes .... that is the obvious next feature of the tool and what we have been asking for for a long time. This is a great first step, but they need to continue to develop it and not just leave it as is now.

Thats right. Ask for high resolution vynils and stickers for a long time. :(
#16 Posted : Thursday, April 11, 2019 4:29:57 AM(UTC)
It would be good if you could change the background colour to match your car colour... even gold, and then see the mask tools working in the editor.
#17 Posted : Thursday, April 11, 2019 7:34:41 AM(UTC)

You should be able to boost the base colour from the top instead of the bottom so that you use the Cola shape with transparency instead of a square tile.

The problem with putting the biasing vinyl on top is it discolors the area around the text too, which is not the desired effect.
#18 Posted : Thursday, April 11, 2019 8:46:50 AM(UTC)

The problem with putting the biasing vinyl on top is it discolors the area around the text too, which is not the desired effect.

That's why I said use the Cola shape. Oh yes overlapping groups are hard to align with transparency.

Edited by user Thursday, April 11, 2019 8:50:44 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

#19 Posted : Thursday, April 11, 2019 9:04:35 AM(UTC)

That's why I said use the Cola shape. Oh yes overlapping groups are hard to align with transparency.

If you could set the opacity at the group level, this would work. But since opacity can currently only be set at the primitive level, and each of the letters in the script consist of dozens of overlapping primitives, I do not think the results would be good.
#20 Posted : Thursday, April 11, 2019 9:07:58 AM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: PTG Wildcat Go to Quoted Post

I think a good solution might be to add a new layer type that functioned as a mask stop. It would not have to have any properties like size, color, etc. It would just serve as a hint for the mask layers above to stop cutting at that elevation. I think this would allow for sufficiently flexible multi-layer effects using the mask tool.
User is suspended until 1/1/2047 12:32:04 PM(UTC)
#21 Posted : Friday, April 12, 2019 9:21:11 AM(UTC)
i noticed this mask stuff in FH4 yesterday, looks exciting !
is this mask stuff also in fm7 or at a later date ?
from what i can tell this mask stuff is sort of a replacement for those specialty colors in FM games ?
#22 Posted : Friday, April 12, 2019 10:28:28 AM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: OugaB00ga Go to Quoted Post
i noticed this mask stuff in FH4 yesterday, looks exciting !
is this mask stuff also in fm7 or at a later date ?
from what i can tell this mask stuff is sort of a replacement for those specialty colors in FM games ?

It chops holes in things so that you can see the car underneath, and so it can show gold, and speciality colours. Masking is also good for cleaning up the edges of your artwork if a shape has gone off the edges.

So in a way it's not a replacement, it does other things too.
#23 Posted : Friday, April 12, 2019 11:31:10 AM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: MIDNYTE DUBH Go to Quoted Post

[quote=PlumCrazy010;1083273]It's a great feature, but it has an unfortunate limitation. It seems the mask cuts through everything beneath it.

EDIT -- I put some more thought into this while I was running some errands. My initial comments below are one approach, but there's a quicker option to creating a border. When you convert a layer group to a mask, the original layer group remains. In most cases, you would probably just delete these remnants if layer count is an issue. If you're creating a border, however, you would ungroup the remnants and modify them to extend out from underneath the mask to create your border.

Just as a side note, I found that masks can also be used to create copies of the original layer group...

---- INITIAL COMMENTS FOLLOW ----

If I'm thinking clearly, you could probably use the masks to make bordered sets -- if your colors for the border and the surrounding paint aren't too far from each other. In your AC/DC logo for example, let's say you the letters to be silver, the border a light blue and the rest of the car a darker blue:

1) Paint the car silver
2) Lay a single layer of the dark blue
3) Apply a mask that extends to the outermost edges of the border
4) Lay a single layer of a lighter blue and adjust its transparency to about 80%
5) Apply a second mask that extends only to the edges of the letters

The semi-transparent layer of step 4 would slightly alter the base color, but allow the border to stand out from the core. Over a metallic base, both the lettering and the border would have some degree of metallic element to them.

Edited by user Friday, April 12, 2019 12:55:40 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

#24 Posted : Friday, April 12, 2019 1:28:45 PM(UTC)
I'll have to experiment with them more, I keep skipping them, and using the old methods at the moment. I'll probably do C3PO to test out the Gold.

Edited by user Friday, April 12, 2019 1:29:23 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

User is suspended until 1/1/2047 12:32:04 PM(UTC)
#25 Posted : Friday, April 12, 2019 1:45:35 PM(UTC)
Info here NEED's to be made a sticky, this tool will help me clear up some of the simple problems i've been having.
I really want this mask in fm7 please .
Quick Reply
2 Pages12Next

Notification

Icon
Error