This site uses cookies for analytics and personalized content. By continuing to browse this site, you agree to this use. Learn more
Rank: D-Class Racing License
 1 user liked this post.
#1 Posted : Monday, February 11, 2019 1:19:38 PM(UTC)


Will there ever be adjustable FOV in FM7 (PC)? It would make such a huge difference for immersion and the overall driving expierence if we could adjust the FOV!

Is it a design choise of a technical issue that there is no adjustable FOV (and seatposition) in the Forza series?
Rank: D-Class Racing License
#2 Posted : Monday, February 11, 2019 7:01:06 PM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: zzjorzz Go to Quoted Post


Will there ever be adjustable FOV in FM7 (PC)? It would make such a huge difference for immersion and the overall driving expierence if we could adjust the FOV!

Is it a design choise of a technical issue that there is no adjustable FOV (and seatposition) in the Forza series?


My $10.00 wager is no.

Rank: D-Class Racing License
#3 Posted : Tuesday, February 12, 2019 6:39:36 AM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: oldmodelt Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: zzjorzz Go to Quoted Post


Will there ever be adjustable FOV in FM7 (PC)? It would make such a huge difference for immersion and the overall driving expierence if we could adjust the FOV!

Is it a design choise of a technical issue that there is no adjustable FOV (and seatposition) in the Forza series?


My $10.00 wager is no.



I am affraid you are winning that bet....
Rank: A-Class Racing License
#4 Posted : Tuesday, February 12, 2019 7:00:51 AM(UTC)
it was a pretty safe bet to be fair. hasnt been an option for over a decade... they gave new views in horizon 4 but that was the extent of it.

PTG Home

Race Team
Tester
Tuner
Rank: D-Class Racing License
#5 Posted : Tuesday, February 12, 2019 9:52:15 AM(UTC)
i would love to see an adjusable FOV .......... the game urgently needs a fov slider, because the pc user usually sits much closer to the screen than the console user (I'm sitting 2m in front of a 100 "screen) , the steering wheel users are also sitting closer to the monitor than the pad players who usually sitting on the couch. An equal FOV for all is the disadvantage of some.
MY Forza games



+ Digital Versions of Forza 6:Apex , Forza Horizon 3 , Forza Motorsport 7
Rank: D-Class Racing License
 3 users liked this post.
#6 Posted : Wednesday, February 13, 2019 9:33:38 AM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: WurmSarah667 Go to Quoted Post
i would love to see an adjusable FOV .......... the game urgently needs a fov slider, because the pc user usually sits much closer to the screen than the console user (I'm sitting 2m in front of a 100 "screen) , the steering wheel users are also sitting closer to the monitor than the pad players who usually sitting on the couch. An equal FOV for all is the disadvantage of some.


Indeed, and FOV is not a preference, a proper and mathematically correct setup is the Holy Grail of simulation as it allows for the 1:1 correlation between the real world and what can be reproduced and then experienced through the various platforms. (gt speedster https://forum.reizastudi...screens-immersion.4009/)

" The first rule of sim racing is: you do not talk about FOV as it being a matter of taste. The second rule of sim racing is: you do not talk it about it being a matter of opinion. Third rule: you do not say it's about personal preference.

There is no subjectiveness regarding FOV. None! To state otherwise is wrong and, frankly, moronic.

A mathematically correct FOV does never feel off as it does represent exactly what the real world feels and looks like. Therefore if your screen real estate and setup configuration allow for it you'll want to use only a proper FOV. Trust me on this!

The FOV has many more important implications than people realize, as it directly affects the way depth and height are displayed and perceived. If the FOV is too high, for example, then the straights will look way longer than they are, turns will look less sharp and heights will look shallower. An incorrect field of view provides the so called "greater sense of speed" only because distances that appear longer are traversed in the same amount of time, tricking your senses and thus defeating any purpose of simulation itself." (gt speedster https://forum.reizastudi...screens-immersion.4009/)

I use this quotes because they are a 100% true and I cant better describe it as GT speedster did.
Rank: Driver's License
 1 user liked this post.
#7 Posted : Wednesday, February 13, 2019 10:02:49 AM(UTC)
This would be one of the holy grail moments to receive an update that provided a real field of view for the cars with the ability to adjust accordingly - followed by some "sense of speed" enhancements for immersion as well as some look to apex options. holy grail - other competitor games have it and it is useful and effective.

I'm going to say it is one of their goals because....why wouldn't it be? But i have not ever heard any mention of this as an addition to the game, or passing thought regarding this either....maybe they have spoken about it...I just hadn't heard anyone mention it.

Penalties,AI, bugs, slight enhancements and new cars appear to be some of the current main focus?

chrrrrrs




Rank: A-Class Racing License
 1 user liked this post.
#8 Posted : Wednesday, February 13, 2019 10:42:36 AM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: zzjorzz Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: WurmSarah667 Go to Quoted Post
i would love to see an adjusable FOV .......... the game urgently needs a fov slider, because the pc user usually sits much closer to the screen than the console user (I'm sitting 2m in front of a 100 "screen) , the steering wheel users are also sitting closer to the monitor than the pad players who usually sitting on the couch. An equal FOV for all is the disadvantage of some.


Indeed, and FOV is not a preference, a proper and mathematically correct setup is the Holy Grail of simulation as it allows for the 1:1 correlation between the real world and what can be reproduced and then experienced through the various platforms. (gt speedster https://forum.reizastudi...screens-immersion.4009/)

" The first rule of sim racing is: you do not talk about FOV as it being a matter of taste. The second rule of sim racing is: you do not talk it about it being a matter of opinion. Third rule: you do not say it's about personal preference.

There is no subjectiveness regarding FOV. None! To state otherwise is wrong and, frankly, moronic.

A mathematically correct FOV does never feel off as it does represent exactly what the real world feels and looks like. Therefore if your screen real estate and setup configuration allow for it you'll want to use only a proper FOV. Trust me on this!

The FOV has many more important implications than people realize, as it directly affects the way depth and height are displayed and perceived. If the FOV is too high, for example, then the straights will look way longer than they are, turns will look less sharp and heights will look shallower. An incorrect field of view provides the so called "greater sense of speed" only because distances that appear longer are traversed in the same amount of time, tricking your senses and thus defeating any purpose of simulation itself." (gt speedster https://forum.reizastudi...screens-immersion.4009/)

I use this quotes because they are a 100% true and I cant better describe it as GT speedster did.


Sadly while i agree with you. I know many people still dont race with correct fov when on a single monitor even those playing the more serious sims because they dont like being as limited in their view. A 24"-27" monitor when set just behind the wheel is very limited in what it allows you to see. You have absolutely zero peripheral vision, which is realistic, but not condusive to being able to go door to door easily so many cheat the fov even when its adjustable.

PTG Home

Race Team
Tester
Tuner
Rank: Racing Permit
#9 Posted : Thursday, February 14, 2019 1:25:41 AM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: zzjorzz Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: WurmSarah667 Go to Quoted Post
i would love to see an adjusable FOV .......... the game urgently needs a fov slider, because the pc user usually sits much closer to the screen than the console user (I'm sitting 2m in front of a 100 "screen) , the steering wheel users are also sitting closer to the monitor than the pad players who usually sitting on the couch. An equal FOV for all is the disadvantage of some.


Indeed, and FOV is not a preference, a proper and mathematically correct setup is the Holy Grail of simulation as it allows for the 1:1 correlation between the real world and what can be reproduced and then experienced through the various platforms. (gt speedster https://forum.reizastudi...screens-immersion.4009/)

" The first rule of sim racing is: you do not talk about FOV as it being a matter of taste. The second rule of sim racing is: you do not talk it about it being a matter of opinion. Third rule: you do not say it's about personal preference.

There is no subjectiveness regarding FOV. None! To state otherwise is wrong and, frankly, moronic.

A mathematically correct FOV does never feel off as it does represent exactly what the real world feels and looks like. Therefore if your screen real estate and setup configuration allow for it you'll want to use only a proper FOV. Trust me on this!

The FOV has many more important implications than people realize, as it directly affects the way depth and height are displayed and perceived. If the FOV is too high, for example, then the straights will look way longer than they are, turns will look less sharp and heights will look shallower. An incorrect field of view provides the so called "greater sense of speed" only because distances that appear longer are traversed in the same amount of time, tricking your senses and thus defeating any purpose of simulation itself." (gt speedster https://forum.reizastudi...screens-immersion.4009/)

I use this quotes because they are a 100% true and I cant better describe it as GT speedster did.



Sounds ok what you say here, BUT on a single 27" monitor - tripple monitor setting is not really supported and has extreme disortions - (onboard) in most cases i cant see the mirrors, i cant see whats happening to the right (left) of my car - using a wheel i dont have the option to turn my head (but wasnt able to use this option with gamepad as much as it was needed) so accidents and collisions are inevitable, whit already small adjustments in FoV i can see mirrors and aproaching cars - can avoid collisions.
In my opinion arguments about max possible reality are not allowed as long as we have follow cams, a cam sitting in front of the windscreen with a free floating mirror and more - i am not asking to remove this features but give the same advantages of overview to the onboardcam (as this cam has still the disadvantages of heavy reflections and total unrealistic dirt on the windscreen).

Edited by user Thursday, February 14, 2019 1:33:46 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Rank: Driver's Permit
#10 Posted : Thursday, February 14, 2019 10:40:07 AM(UTC)
The ability to disable the dynamic FOV while in chase cam could be nice as well.

Also mirrors would be useful - they are in cars for a reason. And don't give the excuse about the console framerate limitation - the PC version lacks a splitscreen mode and you sell it for the same amount of money.
Rank: D-Class Racing License
#11 Posted : Friday, February 15, 2019 7:00:40 AM(UTC)
I agree, single monitor users wont be able to see the mirrors (unless sitting behind a huge monitor, or a ultra-ultrawide).

The solution is easy.

1: A HUD mirror you can turn on and off.
2: Support for and from Crewchief, so you'll have a spotter.
Or 3: A ingame spotter.
Rank: Driver's Permit
#12 Posted : Friday, February 15, 2019 7:51:36 AM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: zzjorzz Go to Quoted Post
I agree, single monitor users wont be able to see the mirrors (unless sitting behind a huge monitor, or a ultra-ultrawide).

The solution is easy.

1: A HUD mirror you can turn on and off.
2: Support for and from Crewchief, so you'll have a spotter.
Or 3: A ingame spotter.

(
Spotter is surely much more work though. A three way mirror would be more than enough. rFactor 1 in 2005 had this.

Rank: B-Class Racing License
#13 Posted : Friday, February 15, 2019 8:24:29 AM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: zzjorzz Go to Quoted Post
I agree, single monitor users wont be able to see the mirrors (unless sitting behind a huge monitor, or a ultra-ultrawide).

The solution is easy.

1: A HUD mirror you can turn on and off.
2: Support for and from Crewchief, so you'll have a spotter.
Or 3: A ingame spotter.


There is a setting called "Proximity Arrows" which will cause orange arrows to appear around the edges of the screen when a car is close to your own. I find this quite helpful for blind spots. Also, most wheels can map their face buttons to turn the camera (Layout 4, I believe?). Unfortunately for me, that means I can't turn my head when shifting, but it's better than nothing.
Rank: Driver's Permit
 1 user liked this post.
#14 Posted : Friday, February 15, 2019 9:07:13 AM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: Cerrax Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: zzjorzz Go to Quoted Post
I agree, single monitor users wont be able to see the mirrors (unless sitting behind a huge monitor, or a ultra-ultrawide).

The solution is easy.

1: A HUD mirror you can turn on and off.
2: Support for and from Crewchief, so you'll have a spotter.
Or 3: A ingame spotter.


There is a setting called "Proximity Arrows" which will cause orange arrows to appear around the edges of the screen when a car is close to your own. I find this quite helpful for blind spots. Also, most wheels can map their face buttons to turn the camera (Layout 4, I believe?). Unfortunately for me, that means I can't turn my head when shifting, but it's better than nothing.


The proximity arrows can be improved as well. The yellow could turn into red when the car behind actually gets an overlap with your car, so you know you shouldn't turn into it.
Rank: Racing Permit
#15 Posted : Friday, February 15, 2019 3:34:27 PM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: ravenousbeast93 Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Cerrax Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: zzjorzz Go to Quoted Post
I agree, single monitor users wont be able to see the mirrors (unless sitting behind a huge monitor, or a ultra-ultrawide).

The solution is easy.

1: A HUD mirror you can turn on and off.
2: Support for and from Crewchief, so you'll have a spotter.
Or 3: A ingame spotter.


There is a setting called "Proximity Arrows" which will cause orange arrows to appear around the edges of the screen when a car is close to your own. I find this quite helpful for blind spots. Also, most wheels can map their face buttons to turn the camera (Layout 4, I believe?). Unfortunately for me, that means I can't turn my head when shifting, but it's better than nothing.


The proximity arrows can be improved as well. The yellow could turn into red when the car behind actually gets an overlap with your car, so you know you shouldn't turn into it.

The proximity arrows are worthless, they should be removed and replaced with a radar a la GT Sport.

Rank: S-Class Racing License
 1 user liked this post.
#16 Posted : Sunday, February 17, 2019 2:09:52 AM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: Sentenza1591 Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: ravenousbeast93 Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Cerrax Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: zzjorzz Go to Quoted Post
I agree, single monitor users wont be able to see the mirrors (unless sitting behind a huge monitor, or a ultra-ultrawide).

The solution is easy.

1: A HUD mirror you can turn on and off.
2: Support for and from Crewchief, so you'll have a spotter.
Or 3: A ingame spotter.


There is a setting called "Proximity Arrows" which will cause orange arrows to appear around the edges of the screen when a car is close to your own. I find this quite helpful for blind spots. Also, most wheels can map their face buttons to turn the camera (Layout 4, I believe?). Unfortunately for me, that means I can't turn my head when shifting, but it's better than nothing.


The proximity arrows can be improved as well. The yellow could turn into red when the car behind actually gets an overlap with your car, so you know you shouldn't turn into it.

The proximity arrows are worthless, they should be removed and replaced with a radar a la GT Sport.


Honestly, neither are good enough substitutes for proper FOV & POV adjustability or a virtual mirror.

Notification

Icon
Error