118 Pages<<114115116117118PrevNext
#2876 Posted : Monday, November 9, 2020 9:11:56 AM(UTC)
I've been avoiding A class because I haven't been getting on with it very well. But this afternoon I haven't been able to get a match that I'd like, so took an A class road adventure against my better judgement. It soon reminded me why I was right to skip them.

Four green ranks in Nova FEs, Atomic Punks and Roadsters. First race, one of these in a Nova like myself, takes a special interest in me and very deliberately pushes me into barriers a few times, meaning I have no hope of catching the leaders, who aren't especially quick otherwise. The trouble with A class is that the cars are too similar in performance for me, at least, to stamp my authority on a race and pull out a big lead early on. At S1 or S2 that is much more doable unless you come up against a top player. At A class, the playing field is more level.

I ended up finishing the first race 3rd and won the other two, for +10 anyway. But I will go back to avoiding A class. I much prefer the way the higher class cars launch, brake and turn compared to the bus handling-like Nova FE. (AP and Roadster aren't to my liking either.)

Here is that A class adventure btw, it was close throughout: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59XRmDG_EmQ

Edited by user Monday, November 9, 2020 3:06:15 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

#2877 Posted : Monday, November 9, 2020 10:54:50 AM(UTC)
How does one... skip a lobby...? In ranked? Feeling so noob. Would love to avoid A-class and S2.
 1 user liked this post.
#2878 Posted : Monday, November 9, 2020 3:21:50 PM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: RB033 Go to Quoted Post
How does one... skip a lobby...? In ranked? Feeling so noob. Would love to avoid A-class and S2.

Wait for the 40 second timer to time out. Make sure you don't press any buttons or sticks or it will not time out and the race will load. So long as it times out before the race starts loading, you won't lose any ranking points.

(Or what I do on PC to save time is disconnect and reconnect my ethernet connection which takes a couple of seconds instead.)

1 user liked this post.
#2879 Posted : Monday, November 9, 2020 3:27:51 PM(UTC)
When the lobby selection screen comes up don’t press any buttons at all. With 10 seconds left an inactivity timer will come up. If you still press nothing, it will disconnect you, return you to Freeroam and you won’t lose any points.
#2880 Posted : Monday, November 9, 2020 3:46:27 PM(UTC)
[Mod Edit - naming/shaming isn't allowed on the forums; see How to Report a Player at the Forza Support site - MM]

Impossible acceleration for an A-Class C5 Vette, not so strong in the turns of course. Going to process video of it.

They either quit or disconnected, I managed to survive and win points to get back into League 5.

Edited by user Wednesday, November 11, 2020 1:56:51 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

#2881 Posted : Tuesday, November 10, 2020 2:23:02 AM(UTC)
Had a bit of fun using an alt account last night. Quite nice doing FFA without any fear of losing points. Mainly just used the starting car (Focus) and the gift cars and made relatively swift progress. The BAC is a very strong S1 option - was winning most races by a long way using that.
#2882 Posted : Tuesday, November 10, 2020 2:50:25 AM(UTC)
That's interesting about the BAC, I assumed it was quite slow for S1 and more biased towards handling but I haven't tried it in ranked.

Now I'm hoping I don't run into your alt - I hope you rank up quickly :p
#2883 Posted : Tuesday, November 10, 2020 3:34:18 AM(UTC)
Yeah, I’m already in the top 200 or so. Did get a few rather annoyed comments when I was winning races by 10 seconds using non meta whilst blue ranked.

The BAC is excellent for a lot of street races. I set a WR with it a while back on Ambleside Ascent (although that’s been beaten since) and it’s also strong on Mortimers, Highland - anything with a lot of fast curves. Long straights are a problem though! I used the Focus instead for anything which required power.
#2884 Posted : Wednesday, November 11, 2020 3:02:41 AM(UTC)
Still 100% wins in the BAC on the alt account - 24 from 24. Also been using Scaans’ Centenario tune in the wet for S2 which is really strong and worth trying. I lost to someone good driving an Apollo yesterday but only because they had far better starting positions (I won the last race when I started ahead fairly comfortably).

For A, I have been using the 14 Golf and have generally been able to get the better of the Novas/Punks but it wouldn’t be competitive against someone really strong driving one.

Only other thing I noticed from being a pauper on the new account was that ATSs and Diablo GTRs are bizarrely cheap in the AH. Both easily obtainable for well under 100k despite being exclusives. I’ve been using the GTR as a dry build handling S2 option, rather than as an OP S2 winter choice, to switch it around a bit.

Edit - actually there was one other point I noticed. When I was ranked from 11-6 (I was league 11 after one adventure) I seemed to be getting consistent adventures with players ranked at around the same level. Once I got into the gold ranks, the opposition seemed to become a lot more varied with a lot more low ranked players. It may have just been a timing thing but my suspicion is that the game still does try and match you to similar ranks. In the middle leagues, that’s relatively easy to do. However, given the low numbers of high ranked players, it probably struggles and therefore, after an initial search, probably just opens up to any random adventure.

Edited by user Wednesday, November 11, 2020 4:16:39 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

#2885 Posted : Wednesday, November 11, 2020 8:04:46 AM(UTC)
First game today, this isn't you is it Jezza? He was faster than me and made no mistakes (and nor did I but he was too fast except for the one race I started in the lead). I hate it when this happens...

Edited by user Wednesday, November 11, 2020 8:20:32 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

#2886 Posted : Wednesday, November 11, 2020 9:23:40 AM(UTC)
No, not me. My alt is higher ranked than that and I’d probably let you win 😅. The MC12 is a car I’ve used though. Good fun to drive although doesn’t have the power of the NSX on any straights.
#2887 Posted : Wednesday, November 11, 2020 9:39:49 AM(UTC)
Yeah I thought you would be higher as you said top 200 previously. This was street racing in spring, the NSX wasn't the best choice (maybe the BAC would have done well here) but having said that, I usually do well with it on these courses. But he was too good. (I know, I always do these post mortems after I lose because I hate losing especially to under-ranked players :p)
#2888 Posted : Wednesday, November 11, 2020 9:44:22 AM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: FullNietzsche Go to Quoted Post
First game today, this isn't you is it Jezza? He was faster than me and made no mistakes (and nor did I but he was too fast except for the one race I started in the lead). I hate it when this happens...

I made mistakes lol! Nice to race you. I remember Pleb from another time, very good driver. More points insight: I was -7 on that round, normally wouldn't lose anything (and sometimes +1 or +2) for getting beat by higher ranks, but it looks like the other competition is a big factor... I got +19 earlier today for beating League 4 and a vast selection of green ranks.

That '87 Trans Am build is somewhere between dry and rain, but not superb in either. Going to have to avoid it, was losing ground after every corner. The S1 Dirt variant I have trades off tire for much more power. Very fast, if you can hang on to it in the turns. Even with full downforce it can be dicey.
#2889 Posted : Wednesday, November 11, 2020 10:28:37 AM(UTC)
Which street races were they FN?
#2890 Posted : Wednesday, November 11, 2020 10:37:33 AM(UTC)
Batham Gate (he won by 0.3 seconds), Reservoir Run (I won by less than a second), Edinburgh New Town (he started 1st, me 4th and last - which wouldn't be a big problem normally but he was too quick to catch, never mind think about passing).

I see his stats are only 7-7 for the month, interesting.

Edited by user Wednesday, November 11, 2020 10:42:57 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

#2891 Posted : Wednesday, November 11, 2020 11:23:23 AM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: RB033 Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: FullNietzsche Go to Quoted Post

I made mistakes lol! Nice to race you. I remember Pleb from another time, very good driver. More points insight: I was -7 on that round, normally wouldn't lose anything (and sometimes +1 or +2) for getting beat by higher ranks, but it looks like the other competition is a big factor... I got +19 earlier today for beating League 4 and a vast selection of green ranks.

That '87 Trans Am build is somewhere between dry and rain, but not superb in either. Going to have to avoid it, was losing ground after every corner. The S1 Dirt variant I have trades off tire for much more power. Very fast, if you can hang on to it in the turns. Even with full downforce it can be dicey.

Sorry to hear you lost points, I'm glad you were there or I'd have lost more though! It isn't often I get any gold ranks in a match, never mind two - so I was putting my best effort in from the start, but yeah, Pleb was very good. Your choice of car raised an eyebrow and I wondered if it would be some souped up power tune or something.
#2892 Posted : Wednesday, November 11, 2020 11:26:27 AM(UTC)
I doubt the BAC would have helped there as you’d lose a lot of time on the fast sections for Batham and Reservoir.

For wet street on my main, I tend to use the the NSX if mainly level 1 rain or dry but switch to the Viper if it’s mainly 2/3 level.

Edited by user Wednesday, November 11, 2020 3:26:00 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

#2893 Posted : Thursday, November 12, 2020 4:34:20 AM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: Jezza14 Go to Quoted Post
I doubt the BAC would have helped there as you’d lose a lot of time on the fast sections for Batham and Reservoir.

For wet street on my main, I tend to use the the NSX if mainly level 1 rain or dry but switch to the Viper if it’s mainly 2/3 level.

At the risk of looking stupid, how do you see the rain level? You mean at the beginning where it shows the three courses? I've never been able to make much sense of that, or paid much attention to it. I'll have to look again.

I nearly had a disaster just now. Very weak lobby, to the point where I was messing around and dozing off, and as a result I missed the finish line on Reservoir Run, I went to the left of it and had to turn around. Luckily I finished 4th so I could still win the final race to win the lobby. Would have probably lost 100 points if I'd lost that.
 1 user liked this post.
#2894 Posted : Thursday, November 12, 2020 5:03:39 AM(UTC)
Yeah, for street races the starting list shows the weather conditions and rain can be one drop, two drops or three drops. I find that the NSX (and Bugatti) are a bit too slippery in heavy rain (may just be my driving!) but are ok if relatively light, so I’d probably use the NSX if, say, 1 drop, 2 drops, 1 drop but not if it was three 2 drop races.

It’s not foolproof though as it doesn’t tell you the track conditions. I constantly get caught out by Glenfinnan in Summer which shows as dry (which is true - it isn’t raining) but is clearly just after it has been raining as the track is very wet!
#2895 Posted : Thursday, November 12, 2020 5:47:50 AM(UTC)
All this time I've played, I've never consciously noticed that! It shows how you can miss what's right under your nose in life sometimes. The NSX can be pretty bad when there's a lot of water on the road, for sure. I'll have to experiment, maybe in unranked though. Shame we can't set up street racing custom blueprints or change the weather in rivals for testing these things.
#2896 Posted : Thursday, November 12, 2020 9:52:46 AM(UTC)
Finally reached 4600 points yesterday. And that is where good news ends.

From that point I lost to few lower ranked players. Including defeat to rank 10 that was doing better laptimes than me - we were both in CCGT. He did Collosus in 4:26.

I'm now at 4531 and need to make a break from FFA to recover from that.

EDIT: Did run Hlundh and Nalak on rivals. It was 4:23 and 4:21. Not cleanest runs.
So his 4:26 was not that fast. I guess my performance in that FFA was just bad.

PS. I'm suprised that Hlundh (winter tires and 610KW/1000kg) is slower than Nalak (drag tires and 589KW/1116kg).

Edited by user Thursday, November 12, 2020 10:12:35 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

#2897 Posted : Thursday, November 12, 2020 10:22:05 AM(UTC)
I think the fastest I've done the Colossus was 4:28, same as my rivals time. It's not top tier but it should wipe the floor with a correctly-ranked league 10. I've had that myself before, I remember having a low ranked player right behind me on Colossus all the way, not fun.

Found it...

Edited by user Thursday, November 12, 2020 10:25:11 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

1 user liked this post.
#2898 Posted : Thursday, November 12, 2020 12:47:20 PM(UTC)
Speaking of fast under-ranked players, I met another one earlier... and it shows again how you need care with the NSX in the wet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6MaqoXL-MI
#2899 Posted : Thursday, November 12, 2020 11:18:43 PM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: ziperrPL Go to Quoted Post

Did run Hlundh and Nalak on rivals. It was 4:23 and 4:21. Not cleanest runs.
So his 4:26 was not that fast. I guess my performance in that FFA was just bad.

PS. I'm suprised that Hlundh (winter tires and 610KW/1000kg) is slower than Nalak (drag tires and 589KW/1116kg).

I use the HlundH tune only for winter, high speed events. For slow winter circuits i prefer the BAC.

Nalak and DJS tunes both give much better lap times and easier handling when in dry compared to the HlundH dirt tyres setup.
 1 user liked this post.
#2900 Posted : Friday, November 13, 2020 3:42:33 AM(UTC)
From my previous testing, Rocklxd’s tunes are the best for the CCGT. I use his dry tune for summer only and the dirt tyres (wet) tune for spring/autumn and occasionally for winter if there is very limited snow. The dry tune does have a relatively low top end though, so there may be better tunes specifically for Colossus.

Baron - I can’t recall if I’ve tested Hlundh’s tune specifically but the CCGT wouldn’t be my choice in Winter (unless as per prior para there is very limited snow). If the courses have quite a high degree of snow then the Diablo GTR or Elise GT1 should significantly outperform the CCGT.
118 Pages<<114115116117118PrevNext

Notification

Icon
Error