This site uses cookies for analytics and personalized content. By continuing to browse this site, you agree to this use. Learn more
3 Pages123Next
Rank: Forza Community Team
 3 users liked this post.
#1 Posted : Thursday, May 15, 2014 3:29:09 PM(UTC)
You read that right. It is a Chevrolet Chevy. This was the model sold in Argentina and that is where today's edition of HMA originates.

Ariel Fuentes -- GT Kaji AF16 --is a major Chevy fan, and you may not realize, so is much of the Argentine racing audience. I learned a lot as I wrote this HMA.

So read the story, learn a bit about the culture of Argentina and then post your comments in the HMA thread.

See you around folks I hope you enjoy the HMA.

http://www.forzamotorspo.../en-us/news/hma_5_15_14

Johniwanna
Have you liked the Johniwanna Facebook page? Do you follow me on Twitter @johniwanna ? or follow HMA on Instagram /HeavyMetalAffliction

https://www.facebook.com/johniwanna

Rank: On the Podium
 2 users liked this post.
#2 Posted : Thursday, May 15, 2014 6:51:17 PM(UTC)
I may be a Ford guy, sometimes a very biased one at that, but this is one mighty fine Nova! It's one of the few Chevy models I actually enjoy no matter what. Grade A auto!! (it is a shame about the loss of it.. people I tell ya.. just out right disrespectful..)

Ya know John, HMA could use some more Toyota love! a certain 2010 Toyota Corolla with under 20,000 miles could fit right in. ;D hehe

VerrucktSchakal
FM5 Credits

Edited by user Thursday, May 15, 2014 7:41:08 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified


Verrückter Schakal | ­ ­ The Höllenhund
Rank: Driver's License
 1 user liked this post.
#3 Posted : Thursday, May 15, 2014 7:21:22 PM(UTC)
Very great story of Ariel Fuentes, it's sad for him to his car be stolen like this,. I don't know if in argentina the police do his job but i hope he find his car with a beautiful name like utopia. Unfortunately people have no respect for anything. I hope I have a chance one day to visit this country, the photos with the landscape are nice.

Gt : Host29
f4 : Mazda RX-7 Spirit R Type-A
Rank: Racing Permit
 1 user liked this post.
#4 Posted : Thursday, May 15, 2014 7:50:11 PM(UTC)
I love reading about people who have a passion for a single kind of car even though I might not find them to be my style. So when I read that it was stolen I was sincerely gutted. I can't even begin to understand how that feels. I feel so bad for the guy. especially because he made it in forza as well, I do the exact opposite, I'll make my cars in forza and think to myself "one day I will own this". So to go from recreating your own car then to have that be your only option seems like a nightmare. I hope he finds it.

gt: Magnolia24
F4: top secret s15
Rank: Racing Permit
 2 users liked this post.
#5 Posted : Thursday, May 15, 2014 8:46:40 PM(UTC)
Thanks to everybody, I am glad you liked our story. Losing her has been painful, but -as beloved as she was- my family and I are OK, and ultimately that´s what really matters. Of course that I will continue to search for her during my entire lifetime...

Almost unexplainably, I don´t have the desire to own another car. I even lost my will to drive, at least in the chaotic downtown Buenos Aires, where I live. Unfortunately, these classic cars have their days numbered because of a series of factors: their gas-guzzling, the difficulty in getting an insurance and legitimate spare parts for them, the risk of putting them on the streets, the environmental changes...
I think that I was just in time in order to properly, actively enjoy one of these seventies´ monsters.

My love for cars will probably never die, though... including my passion for driving simulators (among which Forza is my favorite series).

Host29, those landscapes (Sierra de la Ventana) are nice, but a far cry from the best places my country can offer. We have an incredible geographical variety; you will be amazed if you visit Argentina.

Looking forward to race you on FM4 or FH (and, when the Xbox One arrives to Argentina in September, FM5!).

Thanks again, and specially to John.

Ariel, from Buenos Aires
GT: Kaji AF16
My beloved Utopia in Heavy Metal Affliction:

http://www.forzamotorspo...t/en-us/news/hma_5_15_14
Rank: Driver's Permit
 1 user liked this post.
#6 Posted : Thursday, May 15, 2014 11:39:44 PM(UTC)
Its a shame that thieves got a hold of it. That thing was a **** in' Nova. The thing with old classics is unless theyre garaged, bad things always happen to them. At the same time, you have the purists that appreciate the fact that they're even being driven and used outside of being a garage queen. Im conflicted for both sides because. Anyway, Im saddened for your automotive loss Ariel but never give up the passion. You live in a beautiful country!

GT: oCHUCKoNORRISo
Unicorn: Mazda RX-7 Spirit R Type-A
Rank: C-Class Racing License
 1 user liked this post.
#7 Posted : Friday, May 16, 2014 2:39:54 AM(UTC)
Such a shame when someone thinks they need you car more then you.
I feel for you as I have lost vehicles in the past.
Hope one day it turns up.
Keep it on the Black stuff.
Rank: D-Class Racing License
 2 users liked this post.
#8 Posted : Friday, May 16, 2014 2:47:35 AM(UTC)
What a Beautiful car ! I hope you find her again, Ime glad you got to travel all around the countryside..My dad used to say, "Vamos a Pasear" Lets go for a ride, and we would go and see the countryside.
I miss the rides, i miss the freedom of being up late and restless, and not so young, and in the moonlight, go out and here the rumble of the engine, calling out into the nite. i would create mix tapes of the songs i was into at the time, Bob Segar, Judas Priest, Scorpions, Pink Floyd..
and I would ride. One nite I drove from my hometown to Houston, 200 miles away, i was 18 and unafraid, i did a small tour and drove back home. I'me sure you have felt the same no?
I still feel the old restlessness to drive off into the night, i cant just now, but sometimes I go outside and I here the scream of a car unafraid to be a car, to transcend the ordinary and... become
Dont let your heart be troubled, you will cross paths with your Opus one fine day, in the mean time, find a way to say,,"Vamos a Pasear"
Peace
Rank: Driver's License
 1 user liked this post.
#9 Posted : Friday, May 16, 2014 3:46:29 AM(UTC)
a very good story, I love the Argentine is I lived there for a few months and I've ever had the opportunity to meet a "utopia" as anything without your help I would never have known that in some countries the names of the cars change to adapt to the culture and language.

Thank you again.

GT: CONDOLINI
UNICORN:Toyota Top Secret Supra
Rank: Racing Permit
 1 user liked this post.
#10 Posted : Friday, May 16, 2014 4:58:03 AM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: oCHUCKoNORRISo Go to Quoted Post
Its a shame that thieves got a hold of it. That thing was a **** in' Nova. The thing with old classics is unless theyre garaged, bad things always happen to them. At the same time, you have the purists that appreciate the fact that they're even being driven and used outside of being a garage queen. Im conflicted for both sides because. Anyway, Im saddened for your automotive loss Ariel but never give up the passion. You live in a beautiful country!


Thank you! As I told Johniwanna (I will quote myself from the main story I sent to him): "My philosophy from the first moment was to actively enjoy her by driving her as much as possible: she was not destined to be a silent relic, locked and forgotten. A vast majority of the people I love had the opportunity to enjoy a ride on that car that made me proud". Nowadays it´s relatively rare for a middle-class muscle car owner to drive his beloved classic daily; she was not my daily driver, but I used her frequently. I dreamt of her for 25 long years: I felt that only by using her as much as possible I would be able to enjoy her and honor my dream. I respect those who choose to keep these beasts garaged, but my approach was different. I paid a high price, but ultimately got lots of satisfactions: for her to be honored in HMA is the last of them

Thank you for complimenting my country. If anyone decides to come here, please contact me and I´ll recommend the best places!



Originally Posted by: miniw76 Go to Quoted Post
Such a shame when someone thinks they need you car more then you.
I feel for you as I have lost vehicles in the past.
Hope one day it turns up.


Thank you. A boss of mine, trying to console me, told something in the lines of "well, they needed that car more than you". I strongly disagree. No car thief would put her to good use.
¿Repainted and sold for a handful of dollars? ¿Turned into a racer for some obscure regional league? ¿Scrapped for spare parts? I needed her the most, and not stricly from an economy standpoint.



Originally Posted by: INVICTUSRAVEN Go to Quoted Post
What a Beautiful car ! I hope you find her again, Ime glad you got to travel all around the countryside..My dad used to say, "Vamos a Pasear" Lets go for a ride, and we would go and see the countryside.
I miss the rides, i miss the freedom of being up late and restless, and not so young, and in the moonlight, go out and here the rumble of the engine, calling out into the nite. i would create mix tapes of the songs i was into at the time, Bob Segar, Judas Priest, Scorpions, Pink Floyd..
and I would ride. One nite I drove from my hometown to Houston, 200 miles away, i was 18 and unafraid, i did a small tour and drove back home. I'me sure you have felt the same no?
I still feel the old restlessness to drive off into the night, i cant just now, but sometimes I go outside and I here the scream of a car unafraid to be a car, to transcend the ordinary and... become
Dont let your heart be troubled, you will cross paths with your Opus one fine day, in the mean time, find a way to say,,"Vamos a Pasear"
Peace


Thank you for your beautiful message. I have felt, as many of us car lovers, that great sense of freedom when "going for a ride" (vamos a pasear, indeed). Night driving with some rock, or with just the sweet roar of her engine... unforgettable experiences.



Originally Posted by: CONDOLINI Go to Quoted Post
a very good story, I love the Argentine is I lived there for a few months and I've ever had the opportunity to meet a "utopia" as anything without your help I would never have known that in some countries the names of the cars change to adapt to the culture and language.

Thank you again.



Thanks to you! So, you lived in Argentina? "Chevys" (our Novas) have always been popular here, but they experienced a revival during the last decade. Unfortunately, events like Utopia´s dissapearing (frequent, well-organized steals, some of which are violent -fortunately that was not our case) are putting this passion on hold. Many of my friends from classic car clubs are, since she was stolen, very afraid of going for a ride on their Chevys, Falcons, Impalas, etc.. A shame. That´s why I sincerely believe that our generation (I am 31) may be the last to enjoy and use these cars as they were intented to.


Thanks again to everyone! I will be around for any questions and eventually I will participate more in the forums.

Ariel
My beloved Utopia in Heavy Metal Affliction:

http://www.forzamotorspo...t/en-us/news/hma_5_15_14
Rank: D-Class Racing License
 2 users liked this post.
#11 Posted : Friday, May 16, 2014 5:28:40 AM(UTC)
Hey Ariel, really great story about YOUR car and it will always be your car because of the great desire to own her and then the great memories you will always have of her. It is a shame that you and others have to be impacted by criminals to the point that you no longer desire to own a car.

On the nicer side of your story - Congrats on pursuing your dream to own this car and keeping the car original. As someone else mentioned, I didn't realize the vast differences that car models will have from one country to another country. I thought it was interesting that there would be an SS badge on a straight 6. I would have also expected a 3 speed, instead of the 4 speed. This is what I love about the car community in that you learn these interesting facts about our American versions versus other country versions of the same basic car. Very cool!

Best of luck to you! Thanks for sharing your story.
RescueDog
Rank: Driver's License
 1 user liked this post.
#12 Posted : Friday, May 16, 2014 6:34:53 AM(UTC)


[/quote]

Thanks to you! So, you lived in Argentina? "Chevys" (our Novas) have always been popular here, but they experienced a revival during the last decade. Unfortunately, events like Utopia´s dissapearing (frequent, well-organized steals, some of which are violent -fortunately that was not our case) are putting this passion on hold. Many of my friends from classic car clubs are, since she was stolen, very afraid of going for a ride on their Chevys, Falcons, Impalas, etc.. A shame. That´s why I sincerely believe that our generation (I am 31) may be the last to enjoy and use these cars as they were intented to.


Thanks again to everyone! I will be around for any questions and eventually I will participate more in the forums.

Ariel[/quote]

Yes I experienced Cordoba for 6 months in 1997, my father was working for Renault CIADEA the factory, I saw many Ford Falcon because as you know the taxi use it a lot.
Rank: Racing Permit
 1 user liked this post.
#13 Posted : Friday, May 16, 2014 9:05:20 AM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: CONDOLINI Go to Quoted Post

I saw many Ford Falcon


In contrast to its humble history in the United States, the Falcon is Ford´s most popular car in Argentina, with almost half a million units produced during almost 30 years (it was produced from 1962 to 1991 with only moderate modifications). Thousands of Falcons still roam across our country. It is a notoriously reliable car and the historic rival of the Chevy: both of them are the main protagonists of Turismo Carretera even today, several decades after their introduction. Other 2 brands also participate in Turismo Carretera (Dodge and Renault), but that is another story...

Brand rivalry aside, I respect and like the Falcon a lot.
My beloved Utopia in Heavy Metal Affliction:

http://www.forzamotorspo...t/en-us/news/hma_5_15_14
Rank: Driver's License
 1 user liked this post.
#14 Posted : Friday, May 16, 2014 9:17:47 AM(UTC)
This has to be one of the most depressing things I've ever read. Words fall short of expressing my sorrow for your loss. I can't even imagine being in a similar circumstance. It's said that the greatest bond, is the bond between man and machine. A man’s car becomes a part, or rather an extension, of his own physical image. It's the ultimate symbol of freedom, independence and individualism. And it makes me furious to find out that someone has stolen it right out from underneath you. Thieves truly are the scum of the earth. They have no respect for anyone or anything. But I take great solace in knowing that they are incapable of stealing away the memories that you've created. I hope that you and Utopia are reunited once more. Don't lose faith.

KTM Justin
2005 Honda NSX-R GT

Edited by user Friday, May 16, 2014 10:51:03 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Rank: B-Class Racing License
 1 user liked this post.
#15 Posted : Friday, May 16, 2014 9:46:05 AM(UTC)
Hi Ariel. Thank you for sharing your story. It was a really interesting read. I'm a Brit and i can't recall ever seeing a person just going about their business in a old American muscle car. That being said, i absolutely love this style of car. Aesthetically, these cars were perfected. I can promise you I'd turn more heads going from A to B in a Nova than i would in any Ferrari or Lamborghini. I think the muscle car, shall we say, "slender" fuel economy makes them very prohibitive over here. It's a shame your love affair with this car has a sad ending. There's not really any way to put a positive spin on it. My dad had his motorbike stolen when i was younger. We used to go out on it every weekend. He's not owned another motorbike since so we definitely missed out. Thieves don't care about that though. At least you've had that experience of owning your dream car, I probably never will. Thanks again for your story.

GT: o2R Dsquared 07
unicorn: Lamborghini LP640
Rank: D-Class Racing License
 1 user liked this post.
#16 Posted : Friday, May 16, 2014 10:25:01 AM(UTC)
What an awesome car, really loved that old school Chevy SS. Such a shame it got stolen, that must have been an increadibly terrible feeling. I feel really sad for the guy, I hope the thieves recieve a penalty and he gets his car back.

Gamertag: IvoGTA 360
Unicorn: Ferrari 430 Scuderia (FM4)

Edited by user Thursday, May 22, 2014 1:01:42 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Rank: B-Class Racing License
 2 users liked this post.
#17 Posted : Friday, May 16, 2014 12:52:47 PM(UTC)
Ariel Fuentes – GT Kaji AF16 – Is there a Chip Foose with an Overhaulin' show in Argentina?

Seriously, great story and video and I'm sure everyone wishes your car is returned to in one piece.

BadRiver
Forza Veteran
Microsoft Xbox One X
Rank: R-Class Racing License
 1 user liked this post.
#18 Posted : Friday, May 16, 2014 1:08:31 PM(UTC)
First off, let me say I'm sorry to hear about the theft of your car. It's a real shame to maintain such a classic as that and to have it taken from you.

Now on to the car. I have always loved the styling of the Nova as it looks like a shorter, stockier version of my favorite muscle car, the Chevelle SS. I thought the best part of this story was being able to meet some former GM execs and saying how "exceptional" the car is. It's unfortunate that GM never thought of bringing the 396 to the Argentine market, but I'm sure the inline 6 was a lot of fun to drive. Best of luck in recovering the car.

GT: SlimyTurt1e

FM5 Credits
Rank: Driver's Permit
 1 user liked this post.
#19 Posted : Friday, May 16, 2014 1:24:28 PM(UTC)
Really amazing. My parents had one of those. It was called Nova here though, it took me a sec to figure out Chevrolet Chevy... I thought it meant Chevelle at first.
It depressed me a little bit. Its really awful to hear it got stolen. I hope you get it back someday.
I look forward to reading another Heavy Metal Affliction sometime.

Gamertag: Nel0344
Unicorn: Honda NSX-R GT

Edited by user Friday, May 16, 2014 1:27:25 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Rank: D-Class Racing License
 1 user liked this post.
#20 Posted : Friday, May 16, 2014 2:20:00 PM(UTC)
I hope for Ariel that he beloved car is returned to him. The history behind his love for the SS is inspiring. The car is a beautiful example of a great Chevy. Thanks for sharing this story and again I truly hope for Ariel that there can be justice for him and his SS.

GT: Happiermonk9390
Unicorn: Mazda RX 7

Edited by user Friday, May 16, 2014 2:21:55 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Dedicated Wheel User - TMX Wheel / T3PA Pro Pedals
Rank: Racing Permit
 1 user liked this post.
#21 Posted : Friday, May 16, 2014 2:34:49 PM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: RescueDog Go to Quoted Post
Hey Ariel, really great story about YOUR car and it will always be your car because of the great desire to own her and then the great memories you will always have of her. It is a shame that you and others have to be impacted by criminals to the point that you no longer desire to own a car.

On the nicer side of your story - Congrats on pursuing your dream to own this car and keeping the car original. As someone else mentioned, I didn't realize the vast differences that car models will have from one country to another country. I thought it was interesting that there would be an SS badge on a straight 6. I would have also expected a 3 speed, instead of the 4 speed. This is what I love about the car community in that you learn these interesting facts about our American versions versus other country versions of the same basic car. Very cool!

Best of luck to you! Thanks for sharing your story.
RescueDog


Thank you, RescueDog! Yes, the increase in car thefts is keeping many people from enjoying these rides. A week after Utopia was stolen, I gathered courage and called her previous owner: the news left him devastated, but he told me that he had suffered the loss of an old Chevrolet 400 (Argentinean equivalent to US first generation Novas) in a very similar way.
Most of my inner circle from the Chevy forums try to ride only in groups / caravans for more safety.

As for the SS badge on a straight 6: remember that old school small-block V8s never made it into my country when these car were being produced. The 250, with mildy tuned two-barrel carburators, was top-of-the line. It is still used for racing, where it has attained outputs of approximately 400-450 HP.
Even some of the most potent four-door sedans were designated as "Super Sports", something that -according to Wikipedia- was unheard in the US until the ´94 Impala.

Some models came with 3-speed, but the sporty coupes were always equipped with two models (national ZFs until 1972 and Saginaws from then on) of 4-speed manual transmissions.

The Chevy is not known worldwide, but is has ironically become more beloved than the original Nova in which it is based.

Edited by user Friday, May 16, 2014 3:09:54 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

My beloved Utopia in Heavy Metal Affliction:

http://www.forzamotorspo...t/en-us/news/hma_5_15_14
Rank: Racing Permit
 1 user liked this post.
#22 Posted : Friday, May 16, 2014 2:39:41 PM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: KTM Justin Go to Quoted Post
This has to be one of the most depressing things I've ever read. Words fall short of expressing my sorrow for your loss. I can't even imagine being in a similar circumstance. It's said that the greatest bond, is the bond between man and machine. A man’s car becomes a part, or rather an extension, of his own physical image. It's the ultimate symbol of freedom, independence and individualism. And it makes me furious to find out that someone has stolen it right out from underneath you. Thieves truly are the scum of the earth. They have no respect for anyone or anything. But I take great solace in knowing that they are incapable of stealing away the memories that you've created. I hope that you and Utopia are reunited once more. Don't lose faith.

KTM Justin
2005 Honda NSX-R GT



Thank you, KTM Justin. When you love a car so much, it almost becomes a symbiosis... losing it is going to have some consequences that exceed the economic loss. My girlfriend and my mother, for example, almost can´t stand that video I put together.

As you say, it represented freedom. And what can you feel for someone who destroyed that?

I have faith. Thanks for your kind words.

Edited by user Friday, May 16, 2014 3:03:58 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

My beloved Utopia in Heavy Metal Affliction:

http://www.forzamotorspo...t/en-us/news/hma_5_15_14
Rank: Racing Permit
#23 Posted : Friday, May 16, 2014 2:44:21 PM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: o2R Dsquared 07 Go to Quoted Post
Hi Ariel. Thank you for sharing your story. It was a really interesting read. I'm a Brit and i can't recall ever seeing a person just going about their business in a old American muscle car. That being said, i absolutely love this style of car. Aesthetically, these cars were perfected. I can promise you I'd turn more heads going from A to B in a Nova than i would in any Ferrari or Lamborghini. I think the muscle car, shall we say, "slender" fuel economy makes them very prohibitive over here. It's a shame your love affair with this car has a sad ending. There's not really any way to put a positive spin on it. My dad had his motorbike stolen when i was younger. We used to go out on it every weekend. He's not owned another motorbike since so we definitely missed out. Thieves don't care about that though. At least you've had that experience of owning your dream car, I probably never will. Thanks again for your story.

GT: o2R Dsquared 07
unicorn: Lamborghini LP640


Thank you. Sorry to hear about your dad´s motorbike. I think it will happen the same to me: for me, it was Utopia or nothing...
These memories, some of which I shared in HMA, won´t be erased.

I don´t know which is your dream car, but I wish you luck in driving it!

P.S.: This humble Latin-American muscle car did turn more heads that much more expensive rides, I can assure that!
My beloved Utopia in Heavy Metal Affliction:

http://www.forzamotorspo...t/en-us/news/hma_5_15_14
Rank: Racing Permit
 1 user liked this post.
#24 Posted : Friday, May 16, 2014 2:46:34 PM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: IvoGTA 360 Go to Quoted Post
What an awesome car, really loved that old school Chevy SS. Such a shame it got stolen, that must have been an increadibly terrible feeling. I feel really sad for the guy, I hope the thieves recieve a penalty and he gets his car back.

Gamertag: IvoGTA 360
Unicorn: Ferrari 430 Scuderia (FM4)


Thank you. We are fighting to find the thieves and to make justice. We have numerous clues, including videos of her being driven away by the thieves.

I would LOVE to tell about Utopia´s return...
My beloved Utopia in Heavy Metal Affliction:

http://www.forzamotorspo...t/en-us/news/hma_5_15_14
Rank: Racing Permit
#25 Posted : Friday, May 16, 2014 2:50:01 PM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: BadRiver Go to Quoted Post
Ariel Fuentes – GT Kaji AF16 – Is there a Chip Foose with an Overhaulin' show in Argentina?

Seriously, great story and video and I'm sure everyone wishes your car is returned to in one piece.



Bad River: I am not a big follower of Chip Foose, but I know that he has been here lately. I don´t know if he has a dedicated show in Argentina... but I believe he is sponsor of local productions, being recognized as a car-customizing guru.
I will ask about it and then answer to you properly.

Thank you! We hope Utopia still exists as we knew her.
My beloved Utopia in Heavy Metal Affliction:

http://www.forzamotorspo...t/en-us/news/hma_5_15_14
3 Pages123Next

Notification

Icon
Error