5 Pages123>>Next
Rank: Driver's License
 7 users liked this post.
#1 Posted : Tuesday, December 11, 2018 2:35:22 PM(UTC)
Lets be honest, this isn't even an exaggeration. Almost nobody likes the game in the winter because it's strictly a downgrade in performance for the vast majority of cars that people drive in the game. Ya, it's neat to have seasons and everything but having an entire week of not wanting to really play because the roads suck does not seem to be a sustainable platform for keeping the community around.

I constantly see empty lobbies in winter season.

The obvious fix is to just remove snow from the roads themselves. You can keep the theme of frozen lake and the rest of it. Just remove all snow from concrete roads.

Edited by user Tuesday, December 11, 2018 2:37:25 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Rank: A-Class Racing License
#2 Posted : Tuesday, December 11, 2018 3:23:30 PM(UTC)
But its incredibly beautiful scenery! It wasnt my favorite season at first, autumn was but winter grew on me. Its the best looking season and actually the easiest to drive in if you have proper tires. Visibility is close to 100% when going offroad
Forza junkie since FM2. Horizons are the break I need from the track.

FH4 and I have a volatile love/hate relationship 😑
Rank: Driver's Permit
 3 users liked this post.
#3 Posted : Tuesday, December 11, 2018 3:33:57 PM(UTC)
I haven't played for a while and I just started playing again. Winter is my favorite season, so I'm glad I got back to winter season. The scenery is beautiful as well and I enjoy driving in winter :-)
Rank: B-Class Racing License
 3 users liked this post.
#4 Posted : Tuesday, December 11, 2018 3:35:04 PM(UTC)
Suggestion: they could have days in winter where snowplow trucks clear the snow from the roads. They could even be AI vehicles.
Rank: C-Class Racing License
 3 users liked this post.
#5 Posted : Tuesday, December 11, 2018 3:41:06 PM(UTC)
Yeah I do agree with you OP. But I don't think they need to 'nerf' it. Like grolschie said it would be great to have the snow removed from major roads, and road racing events should have the snow removed from the roads which you race on.

You Got That Angle? | FH4 Gallery
Rank: Driver's License
 5 users liked this post.
#6 Posted : Tuesday, December 11, 2018 4:06:23 PM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: grolschie Go to Quoted Post
Suggestion: they could have days in winter where snowplow trucks clear the snow from the roads. They could even be AI vehicles.


You may not have seen them, but they do already have snowplow trucks driving around. They probably just don't actually do anything.
Rank: A-Class Racing License
 3 users liked this post.
#7 Posted : Tuesday, December 11, 2018 4:10:18 PM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: BugattiBreno Go to Quoted Post
Yeah I do agree with you OP. But I don't think they need to 'nerf' it. Like grolschie said it would be great to have the snow removed from major roads, and road racing events should have the snow removed from the roads which you race on.


So winter without snow or ice on road? I think im different kinda person then because i would like to see more ice and snow and more slippery roads. Even my s2 class bamburgh circuit lap record is made in winter with racing tires and it really dont feel like driving in winter.
Rank: Racing Legend
 8 users liked this post.
#8 Posted : Tuesday, December 11, 2018 4:33:27 PM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: Sxix Go to Quoted Post
Lets be honest, this isn't even an exaggeration. Almost nobody likes the game in the winter because it's strictly a downgrade in performance for the vast majority of cars that people drive in the game. Ya, it's neat to have seasons and everything but having an entire week of not wanting to really play because the roads suck does not seem to be a sustainable platform for keeping the community around.

I constantly see empty lobbies in winter season.

The obvious fix is to just remove snow from the roads themselves. You can keep the theme of frozen lake and the rest of it. Just remove all snow from concrete roads.


Yep it is definitely an exaggeration
Ive noticed no difference in the number of people playing
Your personal preferences are not everyone elses
Rank: A-Class Racing License
#9 Posted : Tuesday, December 11, 2018 4:55:07 PM(UTC)
what gets me is the number of times I look at the temperature and its sitting at 45-50 degrees, yet there is still snow on the ground. hmm
Rank: D-Class Racing License
 7 users liked this post.
#10 Posted : Tuesday, December 11, 2018 5:23:18 PM(UTC)
If you are going to get rid of winter features, then you might as well just throw away the whole concept of seasons. It is a fact of life that winter (in many places) means slippery roads and generally poor driving conditions. I wonder how many people complaining about it have actually done it in real life...I know I have, and I can tell you that if they truly wanted to be realistic about it, it would be much worse. I haven't found winter that difficult to drive in, as long as you know how to set up a car for winter conditions. From what I have seen, cars with snow tyres actually handle better on showy roads than street tyres do on wet roads in the other seasons.

As far as the claim that hardly anyone plays winter season, i will say that's not true. Almost every lobby I go into has the same number of players as in any other season, and I don't see any kind of big drop off in the number of people online.
"I knew I should have brought demon chasing shoes!"
Rank: B-Class Racing License
#11 Posted : Tuesday, December 11, 2018 5:39:39 PM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: rja89 Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: grolschie Go to Quoted Post
Suggestion: they could have days in winter where snowplow trucks clear the snow from the roads. They could even be AI vehicles.


You may not have seen them, but they do already have snowplow trucks driving around. They probably just don't actually do anything.


Just saw one. I don't think it was actually clearing the road. In retrospect, snow does make things interesting. Just not good for 3 starring PR Stunts. But I can wait a week. I wouldn't want snow to be nerfed for the whole season, in fact a blizzard could be awesome also!

In fact, cars already perform great on snow whereas in real life we'd need tyre chains or we'd be going nowhere!

Edited by user Tuesday, December 11, 2018 5:56:46 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Rank: C-Class Racing License
#12 Posted : Tuesday, December 11, 2018 6:14:36 PM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: Wh1t3Kn1te Go to Quoted Post
what gets me is the number of times I look at the temperature and its sitting at 45-50 degrees, yet there is still snow on the ground. hmm


Snow doesn't disappear the instant it gets above freezing. In fact, it is still possible for snowfall to occur at 0-10C as long as the air temp in the clouds is low enough and the warm layer near the ground is shallow.

I've been in the Australian Alps in the middle of summer (daytime temps of 20C+ or even higher) and there was still snow on the ground in places (would get down below freezing overnight on the odd occasion)
Rank: S-Class Racing License
#13 Posted : Tuesday, December 11, 2018 6:46:35 PM(UTC)
The roads aren't that bad, really. If anything, it's not wintry enough. There's too much wet and not enough ice. Much of the time the reported temperature isn't even cold enough to support the snow and ice that's there.
Welcome to the Hyperbolic Whine Chamber. If you cry hard enough you might get your pouter level over 9000.
Rank: B-Class Racing License
 3 users liked this post.
#14 Posted : Tuesday, December 11, 2018 7:19:14 PM(UTC)
Bring on compete white-out blizzard on the hills!
Rank: S-Class Racing License
 5 users liked this post.
#15 Posted : Tuesday, December 11, 2018 7:56:29 PM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: grolschie Go to Quoted Post
Bring on compete white-out blizzard on the hills!


Or at least freeze the puddles in various races. And if that huge lake is frozen, freeze the ponds, too. And make the blizzard selection for races not seem like a tiny bit of winter fog and a flurry or two.
Welcome to the Hyperbolic Whine Chamber. If you cry hard enough you might get your pouter level over 9000.
Rank: A-Class Racing License
#16 Posted : Tuesday, December 11, 2018 8:19:54 PM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: Sierra Skye19 Go to Quoted Post
If you are going to get rid of winter features, then you might as well just throw away the whole concept of seasons. It is a fact of life that winter (in many places) means slippery roads and generally poor driving conditions. I wonder how many people complaining about it have actually done it in real life...I know I have, and I can tell you that if they truly wanted to be realistic about it, it would be much worse. I haven't found winter that difficult to drive in, as long as you know how to set up a car for winter conditions. From what I have seen, cars with snow tyres actually handle better on showy roads than street tyres do on wet roads in the other seasons.

As far as the claim that hardly anyone plays winter season, i will say that's not true. Almost every lobby I go into has the same number of players as in any other season, and I don't see any kind of big drop off in the number of people online.


If just driving around then dont even need winter tires most of the times and one of my winter drift cars use sports tires, only times when have problems with that car is if try to climb those mountain roads but even those asphalt routes that have snow are no problem.

Originally Posted by: Wh1t3Kn1te Go to Quoted Post
what gets me is the number of times I look at the temperature and its sitting at 45-50 degrees, yet there is still snow on the ground. hmm

Right now here in real life 35 degrees and ground is white and roads are bit slipery.
Rank: D-Class Racing License
 3 users liked this post.
#17 Posted : Tuesday, December 11, 2018 10:46:39 PM(UTC)
I use the winter week to paint and prepare cars for spring, summer and autumn. Race like a madman for three weeks and chill for one. Works pretty well for me. Besides, AWD conversions tend to be all you need in the snow....Charles
Rank: Driver's Permit
 2 users liked this post.
#18 Posted : Tuesday, December 11, 2018 11:01:51 PM(UTC)
Man that's a shame if what the OP says is true (I haven't paid enough attention tbh) but winter is by far my favorite time to drive. Probably my favorite car is the 2015 Dodge Charger that I've specced out for rallys and it can really show its stuff that time of year. I think there's something to be said for street races being free of snow and ice but please leave it on everything else. I live in Texas so....this the only snow I'll see this year (or the year before and probably next year as well...😕).
Rank: C-Class Racing License
 2 users liked this post.
#19 Posted : Wednesday, December 12, 2018 12:02:36 AM(UTC)
I love Winter, especially the lighting and the offroad races. Sadly, the whole season thing isn't thought through. The main problems with winter are usually challenge zones you simply can't beat during that season and tunes that are more or less suitable for the other three seasons but not winter. Snow tires by default during winter would help a lot.

If I had made seasons a major feature of the game, the rest would focus on seasons too:
- certain races and challenges only in certain seasons
- forced current season in Horizon Life events and championships
- forced current season in ranked game
- freely selectable season in offline mode (not only for races)
- free tire choice for every race (different selections for different races during a championship/ranked race) - exception: winter (forced snow tires then)
- seasonal Avatar outfits for atmosphere (no more showing up in winter cloths to a summer race)

Persona non grata. Account still under moderation after months. Any post with criticism won't be forwarded.
... back in the USSR (Yeah!)
Rank: S-Class Racing License
 1 user liked this post.
#20 Posted : Wednesday, December 12, 2018 12:40:42 AM(UTC)
Not the game's fault that Horizon's audience isn't educated enough to appreciate the beauty of winter and the nuances of winter driving.

It's easily the best looking season and the only one to feature a full moon. Night driving is better during winter for this exact reason. In summer we have new moon so the roads are very dark at night.

I mean... Skyline is AWD. Plenty of Japanese tuners are FWD. Many hypercars are AWD and you can just convert those that aren't, as most people do anyway. Where's the problem? :)

Rerunning Gauntlet with my 22B, Audi quattro and other rally cars is one of the best things I can do in this game. It's truly a brilliant track and even better in winter, because the lakes freeze, so you don't have to deal with water near the end.

Originally Posted by: Sierra Skye19 Go to Quoted Post
If you are going to get rid of winter features, then you might as well just throw away the whole concept of seasons. It is a fact of life that winter (in many places) means slippery roads and generally poor driving conditions. I wonder how many people complaining about it have actually done it in real life...I know I have, and I can tell you that if they truly wanted to be realistic about it, it would be much worse. I haven't found winter that difficult to drive in, as long as you know how to set up a car for winter conditions. From what I have seen, cars with snow tyres actually handle better on showy roads than street tyres do on wet roads in the other seasons.

As far as the claim that hardly anyone plays winter season, i will say that's not true. Almost every lobby I go into has the same number of players as in any other season, and I don't see any kind of big drop off in the number of people online.


Blizzard Mountain was more realistic. Most cars were undrivable without snow tires.

Edited by user Wednesday, December 12, 2018 12:46:16 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

R.I.P. 24 Heures du Mans

26/05/1923 - 17/06/2018
Rank: Driver's License
 1 user liked this post.
#21 Posted : Wednesday, December 12, 2018 1:56:13 AM(UTC)
Cannot deny that winter season looks absolutely stunning and it offers variety to the game.
Nevertheless, I am also one of the guys who hardly play the game during the winter week...

As I already mentioned elswhere in the forum, on Monday i even switched to Forza Horizon 3, just to be able to drive in summer athmosphere....
dunno...its just...for me, cruising around, listen to music and summer feeling just belong together.

Again... i absolutely appreciate the excellent work of the designers regarding the winter theme, but being forced to drive an entire week in winter is too much.




Rank: Racing Permit
 1 user liked this post.
#22 Posted : Wednesday, December 12, 2018 2:53:47 AM(UTC)
I really love winter. I looks beautiful, driving is incedible enjoyning, and sounds so goooood to me, when im driving througt the deep snow.
In real live, i dont like winter. But in the game is it my favourite season.
Rank: Racing Permit
 2 users liked this post.
#23 Posted : Wednesday, December 12, 2018 3:29:28 AM(UTC)
let's be honest … it is an exaggeration. Also, it's a fundamental part of the game, learn to love the diversities or even see it as a different challenge.
Rank: Racing Permit
 1 user liked this post.
#24 Posted : Wednesday, December 12, 2018 3:42:22 AM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: magic jenson Go to Quoted Post
Cannot deny that winter season looks absolutely stunning and it offers variety to the game.
Nevertheless, I am also one of the guys who hardly play the game during the winter week...

As I already mentioned elswhere in the forum, on Monday i even switched to Forza Horizon 3, just to be able to drive in summer athmosphere....
dunno...its just...for me, cruising around, listen to music and summer feeling just belong together.

Again... i absolutely appreciate the excellent work of the designers regarding the winter theme, but being forced to drive an entire week in winter is too much.





What'd be fun(ny) is if we could get FH3 revamped with four seasons as well, then you synch the two games so they'll have opposite seasons from each other (winter in FH4 means it's summer in FH3, and vice versa).

Rank: B-Class Racing License
 2 users liked this post.
#25 Posted : Wednesday, December 12, 2018 4:23:31 AM(UTC)
I'm Canadian. If there's one thing I don't need in my life, it's more winter driving.

But seriously. I probably play a bit less during in-game winter, but probably not a lot less on average than other seasons.
5 Pages123>>Next

Notification

Icon
Error