5 Pages1234>>PrevNext
#26 Posted : Tuesday, January 28, 2014 5:20:12 AM(UTC)
Thanks for the photo's John, the look great.

I like the flying lizard Audi, but the Viper even more. I like endurance race's, does anyone know if the Viper will compete this year in LE mans?

The accident was very sad, i hope the drivers are in a healthy condition know...

Gamertag: Rinze888
Unicorn: Honda NSX
#27 Posted : Tuesday, January 28, 2014 5:35:00 AM(UTC)
Thank the internets for youtube, I tried to catch this but fell behind, that crash was a nasty one! quite scary to be honest, I agree with that announcer, "I don't see how you can call it if they did not touch." lol that's good racing.

GT: A35TH3T1C5
FM4 Unicorn: HKS Evo or Mugen Integra
#28 Posted : Tuesday, January 28, 2014 5:43:51 AM(UTC)
Great RVM, love seeing the cars we can drive in Forza in live action. That crash was nasty, hope everyone is okay from that. Should be an exciting race season. Thanks again for the good read.

Friend's GT: L3FT0V3R (all "vowel" are numbers, try to help my buddy complete his collection)
Unicorn (FM4): Subaru S204
 1 user liked this post.
#29 Posted : Tuesday, January 28, 2014 6:25:22 AM(UTC)
Thanks for the RVM! It's interesting to see all the highlights, all I had seen before this was the crash, it was making the rounds on Facebook.

If anyone can answer:

I'm still getting into racing here, and I have no idea how to stay on top of what's coming up. I see on the IMSA site's schedule that there's a race on 20 February, so I'll try to tune into that. I have no cable, but it looks like I can watch on the web site.

But is there anything happening between now and then? And if so, how do you guys stay aware of what's happening? Is there some good news source for racing news that I can lean on to find out about races BEFORE they happen so I can watch them live? Again, total newb to real-world racing here, just trying to figure out how to get plugged in. Thanks!

GT introvert
FH 2010 Saleen S5S Raptor
 3 users liked this post.
#30 Posted : Tuesday, January 28, 2014 6:56:16 AM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: introvert Go to Quoted Post
Thanks for the RVM! It's interesting to see all the highlights, all I had seen before this was the crash, it was making the rounds on Facebook.

If anyone can answer:

I'm still getting into racing here, and I have no idea how to stay on top of what's coming up. I see on the IMSA site's schedule that there's a race on 20 February, so I'll try to tune into that. I have no cable, but it looks like I can watch on the web site.

But is there anything happening between now and then? And if so, how do you guys stay aware of what's happening? Is there some good news source for racing news that I can lean on to find out about races BEFORE they happen so I can watch them live? Again, total newb to real-world racing here, just trying to figure out how to get plugged in. Thanks!

GT introvert
FH 2010 Saleen S5S Raptor

Heys,

It can be hard to follow what's next if you're not that into the big hitters (F1, NASCAR, MotoGP) but there's stuff practically every weekend depending on what you like. You'll find alot of the sportscar car drivers race across multiple series, so it won't be long before you get familiar with names and get a better feel of it all. If you want quick reference I recommend the motorsports calendar app (it's android but I know there's an IOS version)

Your next big race (imo) is the 12 Hours of Bathurst - 7-9th February, it's a gorgeous grid of GT cars, pretty much the same as the GT classes you saw in the Rolex 24

https://play.google.com/...ils?id=torquesoft.themsc

Covers:

FIA GT1 World Championship
Le Mans 24 hours (24 Heures du Mans)
Formula 1 - F1
World Endurance Championship
British Touring Cars - BTCC
British Superbikes
Tudor United Sportscar Championship
Indycar
DTM
Australian V8 Supercars
Moto GP
Formula 2
Nascar
Britcar

Edited by user Tuesday, January 28, 2014 6:59:55 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

If you no longer go for a gap that exists, you are no longer a racing driver because we are competing, we are competing to win.
#31 Posted : Tuesday, January 28, 2014 6:56:56 AM(UTC)
“The crash of the Gainsco car into the back of the #62 Risi Ferrari driven by Matteo Mallucelli could not have happened at a worse spot on the track. There was nowhere for the disabled Ferrari to go....” No where for it to go? How about off the track. Plain and simple, it is the Ferrari's fault. Thank goodness both drivers will be ok. Definitely a very scary moment.

“The result was a penalty for the Ferrari giving the win to the #45. A penalty that was then reversed upon further inspection of the video footage that shows no harm and no contact. The win was given back to the GTD #555 and the Flying Lizard #45 Audi took second.” As it should have been. The Audi should not have attempted a pass which they could not complete. The Ferrari did just what it should have, held its line. I see attempted passes like this all the time in the game and people get upset because they get pushed off the track trying to make a pass they can't make.

I would like to see more out of the Deltawing. All and all I think it was a great 24 hour race. I look forward to seeing what the season has in store and getting to see the cars at Road Atlanta.

GT : Otismotis1
Unicorn : 2002 Nissan MINE'S R34 Skyline GT-R
 2 users liked this post.
#32 Posted : Tuesday, January 28, 2014 7:02:58 AM(UTC)
This seems a fairly indepth calendar:

http://www.autosportcalendar.com/index.php

Just filter by 'calendar' at the top and it should display all series

HTH

If you no longer go for a gap that exists, you are no longer a racing driver because we are competing, we are competing to win.
 1 user liked this post.
#33 Posted : Tuesday, January 28, 2014 7:08:18 AM(UTC)
I caught some of the race here and there over the weekend and what I was able to watch was great. I was so excited just to see some racing and while the P class needs a little work IMO( although we'll see how it goes on the other tracks), the GT cars(both forms) were excellent to watch and I enjoyed them the most. I was hoping for more out of the C7.R, but I think it'll still have an excellent year. Bring on Sebring!

GT: SlimyTurt1e
FM5 credits
#34 Posted : Tuesday, January 28, 2014 7:16:03 AM(UTC)
It was a great race right down to the final lap. That wreak was scary I thought we will lose a another driver this year because of it but thankfully they will recover. Best moment of the race will be watching with my son . He's only 4 but this second year were we didn't move from the tv and laptop. My son woke up Monday morning and mad that the race wasn't on . Can't wait for next week to take him to the Philadelphia car show .
 1 user liked this post.
#35 Posted : Tuesday, January 28, 2014 7:54:55 AM(UTC)
I watched the race on an off during the coverage. Too many commercials for my liking but the racing was impressive when they did get down to it. Unfortunate accident, but not much anyone could do to avoid it, hope for a full recovery. Cars cutting through the grass brought on huge amounts of dirt onto the track which affected all other drivers (I think the turn were called bus stop). This would be an interesting element to add to Forza at some time.

There were some great stories from the commentators, selling a Ferrari GTO for 16k in the '60s, as well as some not so great ones. more than 30 minutes on mullets. C7Rs will undoubtedly get some huge factory support to enhance their reliability for future races.

Good coverage in the RVM, well done.
#36 Posted : Tuesday, January 28, 2014 8:02:53 AM(UTC)
The view really hinders what you can see going on at the track. The flying lizard and the Audi had an intense race. But lizard came out on top. Watched it like 3 times!

GT: Aristica
FH Unicorn: 2009 Ford Fiesta Zetec S
#37 Posted : Tuesday, January 28, 2014 8:04:35 AM(UTC)
Hello. Thank your for sharing this amazing event with us. I'm in love in Daytona cars. I think they're awesome. Every time I play F4, I always race in the Daytona Coupe. Such a great racing car.

GT: Armored Cantus

F4 Unicorn : 2007 Shelby GT500.
#38 Posted : Tuesday, January 28, 2014 8:08:17 AM(UTC)
That race between the Flying Lizard Audi R8 LMS and the Ferrari 458...to quote Paris Hilton, "That's hawt!". Nerves of steel when your actual butt is on the line with a move like that...wow.

I live just down south of Daytona, I wish I had had the time I would have gone up there to watch some of the race this last weekend. I think I'll show my wife and kids the video tonight and see what they think.

GT: Geministorm2
FM4: Mugen Civic Type-R
#39 Posted : Tuesday, January 28, 2014 8:17:50 AM(UTC)
That was quite the race wasn't it? I didn't get to watch it but your write up filled me in nicely.

That crash though, it looked quite intense. Even though the Ferrari looked like it got the better end of the crash. I'm liking the photos as well, especially the #35 Flying Lizard Audi R8.

GT: TwistedBlunt42O
unicorn: MINE'S R34

Master KSer, Fighter, Circuit Racer, Author, and Bacon Consumer
# of Pentakills: 78
#40 Posted : Tuesday, January 28, 2014 9:10:17 AM(UTC)
Great post! This was one of the races I was afraid would disappear from TV coverage when FS1 absorbed SPEED Channel. Thankfully, we had almost the entire race televised. I was also excited to see the first USCC race! Of course, it was sad to see ALMS go away, but not surprising at all. Their field was down to staggeringly low numbers. I think Grand Am and ALMS joining forces was the best possible move for the future of sports car racing in the U.S.

Seriously though, for me to be on my feet cheering-on a factory Porsche team and the boys from Flying Lizard during the last 3 minutes of a 24 hour race is pretty exciting. Especially when you consider the amount of changes this series has undergone in the last 6 months.

Looking forward to Sebring and Le Mans!

Cheers,
GetSomeEliteGaming.com
#41 Posted : Tuesday, January 28, 2014 9:14:41 AM(UTC)
Nice read and great pictures and videos. I especially like the pictures of the Flying Lizard R8 and the racing Vipers.

GT: PeterGriffin197
UC: 1971 Lotus Elan Sprint (FH)
#42 Posted : Tuesday, January 28, 2014 9:26:32 AM(UTC)
Hi,
i like that story very much.

GT: Gjuergen
Unicorn: Forza Horizon: 2010 Mazda MX-5 Miata Superlight
#43 Posted : Tuesday, January 28, 2014 9:41:20 AM(UTC)
Another great rvm john
cant wait till the next one
Gt:burdy46honda
Fm4 unicorn : top secret d1 spec silvia s15
#44 Posted : Tuesday, January 28, 2014 11:14:54 AM(UTC)
Loved seeing the skyactive mazda right at the top of the article, I'm glad to see that other styles of racing are starting to gain recognition here in the United States. It grows old when America is just viewed for NASCAR and drag racing, and dont get me wrong I like nascar, grew up a Rusty Wallace fan, actually saw the race Dale Earnhardt died :/. I was blown away when rally cross came to the x games. This is just another step in the right direction. It was purely awesome that the corvettes almost all took top positions, despite the accident, thankfully both racers are ok. maybe us Americans can build a suspension after all haha. I'm really hoping for its popularity to keep rising, the car scene is changing here in New Jersey so I could only imagine these races will become more popular. I would love to even participate in an endurance race myself! Any body down to build an endurance miata for le-mons!!!

Great read!

Gt: Thatkidjesse
F4 Unicorn: rx7 spirit r
Please and thanks!
#45 Posted : Tuesday, January 28, 2014 12:09:14 PM(UTC)
What a Coinedence i just got a Rolex Watch about 6 minutes ago and im loving every MINUTE of it ha ha get it MINUTE Anyway Congrats to #55 to holding his ground i can't belive how HARD He tried to keep his position and also its nice to see 2 Car Classes Racing together they should've done this earlier like GT3's and GT2's on Road America or something like that. I was REALLY Suprised when both drivers didn't die, a crash like that is FATAL, I guess the Racing God granted them another life anyway Great Coverage Turn 10 I really liked the Coverage you guys put together

GT:YellowJacketTMB
FM4 2007 Lamborghini Gallardo Superleggera
Photographer, Painter, Tuner, Racer and Rally Fanatic. Maybe bring back Group B?
#46 Posted : Tuesday, January 28, 2014 12:15:25 PM(UTC)
Youtubed the crash earlier - that's scary. Hope the drivers are OK.

The speed at which the Ferrari was rearended was frightening . . .
OldTimerGamer - Been gaming for over 30 years.
#47 Posted : Tuesday, January 28, 2014 12:30:27 PM(UTC)
A great article, as always, John. As a big fan of endurance racing, I make it a point to watch as much of this race as I can every year. One thing that strikes me is how much more competitive the prototype field has become over the last few years. I remember just 6 or 7 years ago, the overall leader was winning the race by multiple laps. The past few years have been MUCH more competitive, with 3 or 4 cars still legitimately in contention for the overall win when the race enters it's final hour.
On the subject of the crash between the Gainsco Corvette DP and the Risi Ferrari, that was probably the most horrific car-to-car impact I've ever seen. I'm so glad it looks like both drivers will make a full recovery.
As far as the controversy over the GTD finish goes, I think the right decision was made in the end. When you have two drivers battling for the lead on the last lap, things are going to get crazy. If anyone deserves a penalty, its got to be that Ferrari that pushed Joey Hand's BMW into the wall towards the end of the race. It spoiled what would surely have been an epic battle for the GTLE win.

Gamertag: cthom14
FM4 Unicorn: Mitsubishi HKS Time Attack Evo (last one I need to complete my collection)

Edited by user Tuesday, January 28, 2014 12:33:25 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

1 user liked this post.
#48 Posted : Tuesday, January 28, 2014 12:53:15 PM(UTC)
Great race, shame they throw a full course yellow with 20 min to go, come on man, this isn't NASCAR. Some of the decisions made by the powers upstairs were very questionable, including the "Avoidable Contact" with the Ferrari & Audi, really?, last lap of a 24 hour race and you're going to determine the winner from the booth? Too bad it took hours for that horrendous call to be reversed, congrats Level 5!

Memo underwent successful back surgery late last night to repair and stabilize a fracture, reports are he's resting as comfortable as can be expected. Matteo was released from Halifax Sunday evening and is in good spirits.

Watch out for that Muscle Milk and Patron money to start talking, then the DP's will slowly draw back to the field, in fact, bet on it @ Sebring. :)

Great write up John, you made it through the off season, now sharpen up that pencil, business is about to pick up. Pirelli World Challenge 58 days!

-Max

PS: Great photos! @FirebirdPilot

_________________________________________________________________________________

Gamertag: ROSCOEpCOTRAIN
FM4 Unicorn: '02 MINES R34 Skyline GT-R

Edited by user Tuesday, January 28, 2014 12:56:43 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

#49 Posted : Tuesday, January 28, 2014 3:14:27 PM(UTC)
Great pic's of the race,...being an old guy...lol I still remember the first time they raced the DP's and the issues they had with the temp inside the cockpit frying the drivers, they sure have came along way and the competition in DP's is some of the closest in any racing series, was watching live when the accident happened and rewound it several times with my jaw hanging down, I sure am glad nobody died!!....and I really wanted the 3 and 4 C7 corvettes too dominate, but never the less they looked strong, and I'm sure they will see victory soon.

GT hipwader62x
unicorn F4. 2007 GT500
#50 Posted : Tuesday, January 28, 2014 3:18:57 PM(UTC)
Great article I enjoyed the race but feel the BOP will need to be ironed out in the prototype class to have closer racing throughout the rest of the season. Both GT classes provided the best racing I've seen in years at this race.

GT: TRDMAN77
Unicorn FM4: NSX-R GT
5 Pages1234>>PrevNext

Notification

Icon
Error