#1 Posted : Monday, October 8, 2018 6:13:22 PM(UTC)
SOLVED
Thanks to user wolarts in this thread, the solution (at least for us) has been found. For whatever reason regardless of if your hardware runs the game with ease, turning the "Mirror Quality" setting from Extreme to Ultra seems to completely solve the freezing issue.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

When I first downloaded the game on launch day, it seemed to work just fine. After a couple days the frequency of crashes/freezes just trying to start the game (let alone occasional crashes during races and decal making) made it extremely annoying to play. Now, after over 24 hours combined of attempting to fix this, I literally cannot play for more than 2 minutes (except for the two times out of maybe 30 attempts today that lasted 5-10 minutes) before it will freeze. Thankfully I have an Xbox so I am still able to play as it is a fun game.

See YouTube playlist of a few freezes (and crashing with Precision X) in a row here.

I have already made a post on Reddit about this with a few edits so I am just going to just copy and paste it here with a little reformatting.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Attempted Fixes

I have tried the following:

* Reinstalling the game
* Reinstalling again, this time onto my C drive (was on E)
* Restarting my PC (even fully removing power for 2 hours due to a convenient power outage)
* Disabling every single program/process that I possibly can
* Enabling/disabling Game Mode
* Rolling back GPU drivers
* Disabling GeForce overlay
* Unplugging Microsoft wireless adapter

However, most of these have not made any difference whatsoever. The only things that have made a difference so far are disabling Precision X (only was causing startup crashes) and unplugging the wireless adapter (seems to reduce but not prevent freezes upon loading player home/entering car).

Crash/Freeze Details

When the game freezes, CPU & GPU usage immediately drop and the game/mouse become unresponsive, although ambient sound and radio keep playing (car noises also but on a loop). I am able to kill it with Alt-F4, and sometimes I am able to launch it again afterward but other times it will not even load the game again until I reboot. Note that none of these happen every time and I have had multiple play sessions where I have played for hours on end.

My game has frozen (in order of frequency):

• About a second after the initial legal disclaimer screen is displayed (very common)
    *When this happens, the game actually crashes instead of just freezing, and continues to do so until I reboot my PC. However, it has happened even immediately after rebooting
  • Either at the black loading screen seemingly immediately before it loads your car outside the player home or about a second after it shows your car outside the player home (pretty common)
    *This seems to continue to happen unless I wait a few minutes before trying again
  • Before even getting to the legal disclaimers (crash, not freeze)
  • After driving for about a minute
  • As soon as I try to press anything (unless I wait until after I've been fully loaded into my car for a few seconds)
  • As I'm loading into my car
  • As soon as I turn my controller on (only when I've tried to do so before getting into my car)
  • Trying to fast travel to the Horizon Festival (only place I ever do)
  • While creating a decal
  • While in the middle of a race
  • Driving around after playing for hours

Hardware

I am playing the game via Game Pass purchased on my Xbox (but I have been trying to play on PC as the game looks fantastic and I can get steady 60 FPS). My PC specs, playing in 1440p @ max settings:

• Stock GTX 1080 Ti (tried both current and previous drivers)
  • i5-6600k @ 4.6 GHz (thoroughly tested and stable)
  • 16 GB RAM
  • Windows 10 Pro with latest updates

After determining they were not causing issues, I reenabled GPU-Z and my CPU monitor just now to make sure that there were no issues there.
GPU, CPU, RAM, and VRAM usage all remain well below 100% the whole time I am playing and do not show any irregularities prior to a freeze. I also did the benchmarking test and had a *minimum* FPS of 70 with 0 stutters, so the graphics settings are not the issue (unless due to a bug).

I do not and have never had freezing/crashing issues like this with any other game, even with all of my normal programs and services running, so I am fairly certain that this is not a hardware issue.

Edit: Adding to attempted fixes:

• Uninstalling/reinstalling audio drivers straight from Realtek
  • Disabling all nonessential services (on top of processes)
  • Doing a clean boot
  • Disabling real time protection through Windows Defender
    *Interestingly, the first time this was tried it actually made it to the intro video and then crashed. Now it’s back to crashing before/during the legal disclaimer

The game will not launch at all now since reinstalling onto my boot drive. It either crashes right before or after the legal disclaimer appears.

Edit 2: After disabling all services and programs once again, I am able to launch it again (but that’s practically it) and I’ve narrowed down some of the crashes/freezes.

It seems that Precision X is now preventing the game from ever going past the legal disclaimer screen. I’m very confused as to why this did not happen at all initially, then only happened occasionally, and now happens every time, but either way I can reliably get to the main menu and at least partially load into the game when Precision X is not open.

However, this is not the only thing causing problems. Simply having the official Microsoft wireless adapter for my controller plugged in before starting the game, even if not on/paired with a controller, seems to more frequently (but again not always) cause the game to freeze as soon as it loads the player house or loads you into your car. However, it tends to be more reliable if it is not plugged in/paired until after you are fully loaded into your car.

Even still, after rebooting my PC and without having Precision X (or any other program) open or the wireless adapter plugged in, the game still always freezes before I can play for more than a couple minutes at best.

Part of why this is so confusing is because IIRC the game worked just fine for the first couple days I played it, save for a couple freezes after playing for a while. However, it seems like it has progressively become more and more unreliable to the point where it will now always freeze after at most 2 minutes of playing, sometimes right upon loading in or just a few seconds after driving off. Completely reinstalling the game (including manually deleting AppData and temp files) seemed to have no effect.

Edit 3: I took some clips of my game crashing in case anyone is unsure what exactly I'm talking about or if they are having the same issue. Each clip was taken one after the other each time I tried to launch the game, with a couple minutes in between to trim the recorded clip. See YouTube playlist here.

The last clip I actually managed to get 5 or so minutes in before it froze so I decided I would post the whole thing to show that the game is capable of working just fine. The fifth clip is just to show that it will not boot with Precision X open.

Here are the errors I receive in Event Viewer. When the game freezes (which is most of the time), I get this. When the game crashes, I get this.

Side note; the last clip was taken when I started the game and played with my controller on so I may have been wrong about the adapter being an issue.

Edited by user Saturday, October 13, 2018 11:09:00 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

#2 Posted : Tuesday, October 9, 2018 12:58:36 AM(UTC)
FH4 is prone to RAM memory leaks ... Also FH4 doesn't like Precision X like AT ALL (even when you don't have OSD open).

If you have a second monitor, open up task manager, performance, recourse monitor en then memory. You should notice (it's with my crashes anyway) that at the exact moment of the crash, a lot of private memory gets dumped in shared memory, causing it to crash. The reason that it crashes faster when you start the game multiple times without a reboot is that memory doesn't get cleaned enough, so the memory leak will happen sooner. RAMMAP (actually a Windows tool) is a tool that could clean up your memory, a link to the post i got this from: https://forums.forzamoto...PC---Random-Crashes.aspx
#3 Posted : Tuesday, October 9, 2018 5:17:52 PM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: RBT Bellic Go to Quoted Post
FH4 is prone to RAM memory leaks ... Also FH4 doesn't like Precision X like AT ALL (even when you don't have OSD open).

If you have a second monitor, open up task manager, performance, recourse monitor en then memory. You should notice (it's with my crashes anyway) that at the exact moment of the crash, a lot of private memory gets dumped in shared memory, causing it to crash. The reason that it crashes faster when you start the game multiple times without a reboot is that memory doesn't get cleaned enough, so the memory leak will happen sooner

Yeah I get that it doesn't like Precision X (which is bad enough on its own), but what's especially weird about it is that I did not have problems the first couple days I played this game with Precision X open and now it doesn't launch at all if it's open (I don't use the OSD ever).

Regarding memory leaks, I don't know about private/shared memory but I have been monitoring CPU/GPU/RAM/VRAM usage the whole time via my keyboard LCD; total RAM usage remains consistently around 50%-60% of my 16 GB and VRAM usage remains below 5 GB of my 11 GB, and neither changes significantly leading up to a freeze. I'm skeptical anyway that it's a memory leak considering that sometimes the game freezes before I can even load into my car, most of the time it freezes after 15-30 seconds of driving, and every now and then I can play for a few minutes before it freezes.

While it initially seemed like waiting/rebooting between attempting to play may have made a difference, I believe that either was just coincidental or due to a different issue. As soon as I quit the game following a freeze, total RAM usage goes back down to normal background levels. Also, the point at which it freezes is random. I have had times where it freezes before I can get into my car immediately following a reboot, and the last time I was able to play for a few minutes was after multiple attempts that quickly froze. If you watch the playlist I uploaded, all of those clips were taken one after the other without rebooting in between, and the last one was the longest session by a lot.

Edited by user Tuesday, October 9, 2018 5:21:53 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Notification

Icon
Error