14 Pages1234>>PrevNext
 5 users liked this post.
#26 Posted : Tuesday, September 11, 2018 5:17:07 PM(UTC)
I like the progress so far. I like the time slip at the end. It's cool to know my reaction times and all the different splits. The quick return or whatever is pretty cool. There are a few things I am hoping for down the road as I k ow this is a work in progress.

Burn out and staging. This is a major portion of drag racing. This need to get integrated into this. Even if it's not the full, top fuel, half the track burnout and it's just a small spot to heat the Tires, we need it. Along with that, pulling into the beams is also huge. There are different strategies just in how one stages in a drag race. We should be able to pull up and light the tree. It's just how drag racing is done.

Upgrades. I understand this is where some get into an uproar, but if we're gonna do this thing, let's do it right!

1 There needs to be proper slicks. Drag tires have a very flexible side wall which is part of what helps the launch. What we have now is sorta like a drag radial, not as grippy. It would be good to have the true 36" x 16" Drag slick or a true 10.5" small tire. The small 4" wide front rim and tire.

2 Suspension. Wheelie bars and 4 link, should all be adjustable. Raising or lowering the wheelie bars can drastically change how a car will launch and drive down the road. Back halving cars or cutting out the underneath for weight and throwing huge drag slick under it. Physics that don't dictate that raising a car to the highest ride height equals quicker!

3 Engine and transmission. There needs to be huge power for drag racing. I'm not scoffing at 1000hp, I just know that these days most drag cars can and are pushing between 1500 hp on the low end on up to 3-4000 hp. There should be some engines for this. Giant cubic inch motors, turbos and superchargers with adjustable boost. All the power adders including nitros. Before you all shout no way, I'm NOT talking about need for speed most wanted, do some drifting and add more NOS like. But true to life nitros kits. 100 shot, 200, multiple kit setups.

4 spoilers. Actual drag style spoilers and body kits. Not much more to add for that one,

5. I'm sure it's coming at some point, but more tracks than just Dubia.

When I'm more awake and have more time I want to throw a few pics on here showing the stuff in talking about. Been too long a day, I just wanted to give my input after my first go round with this. I also want to add that I know many don't want to see new upgrades. Mostly for fear that things would show up elsewhere and ruin the other disciplines of racing that are in the game. To me, the simple fix woild.be to make "drag" upgrades ONLY available if drag racing. Or at least not in online public or rivals. GT3 did that back in the 90s when they had a few dirt tracks that you could only drive on with dirt tires. That was 20 years ago, lol.

I absolutely thank and applaud Turn 10 for finally throwing us drag racers a little love! Thank you guys!

Edited by user Tuesday, September 11, 2018 5:35:04 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Maxwell's Speed Shop
xDeaDxZeppLiNx
mechanic, paint
#27 Posted : Tuesday, September 11, 2018 5:22:26 PM(UTC)
[Mod Edit - All posts to this forum must be in English. Please translate your message before posting - D]
https://translate.google.com/

Edited by user Wednesday, September 12, 2018 1:22:41 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

3 users liked this post.
#28 Posted : Tuesday, September 11, 2018 5:28:43 PM(UTC)
I'm not a drag racer normally, but I've tried this and I find it so much more enjoyable than old drag races. Old drag races you just held the throttle until the race starts everyone off at the exact same time, resulting in *only* the fastest car winning. But with Experiential Drag it's closer to real life where you actually have to pay attention to the tree.

Things that are good:
*More engaging than drag is currently
*Including an actual tree
*Free revving
*The time between races is phenomenal. Glad it's a lot shorter.

Things that should be added:
*Disqualification if crossing the center line
*Disqualification if hitting other racers
*The pro tree or whatever it is. I think it would be good to have different variants of drag using the current tree and a tree that doesn't have a countdown, green just pops up at random and we truly have to use our own reactions to go.
*Prepping the tires is something that would be cool. It's also very important to drag racing in real life. I could live without it if it wasn't implemented in Forza though.
*A list of previous runs to see if times have been improving

Even in the state it's in now, I can't wait for it to hit multiplayer. To me it's a huge improvement over classic Drag! If a system like this were to be implemented in FH4 I would do drag more often. I didn't do drag too much purely because of how long it took between races and how mind-numbingly simple it was to win, but I think Experimental Drag is promising. Now if only autocross was a thing in Forza Motorsport. :-)
Still learning to tune. Probably will always be learning. If anyone wants a decent track tune, message me on Xbox.
 2 users liked this post.
#29 Posted : Tuesday, September 11, 2018 5:46:40 PM(UTC)
I love the drag racing and it is great, but I have never been a fan of the homologation for the vehicles. I wish you could utilize the system you had in place for Motorsport 6. At the very least, allow me to install drag tires! I was using a Ford Fairlane Thunderbolt which is a Nostalgic Drag Racer at a Drag strip, and can't use Drag tires without blowing the homologation rule?. Please fix this, otherwise I love it!
#30 Posted : Tuesday, September 11, 2018 5:47:42 PM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: xDeaDxZeppLiNx Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: TMR Metroid Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: PJTierney Go to Quoted Post
Question: Is the countdown length at the start of a race the same every time?

If so I feel that some form of variance should be added so that there’s a greater challenge to nailing a “perfect” reaction time. With a preset countdown length the start sequence becomes more about prediction than reaction in my opinion.

Side note: I hope this means that jump starts (and associated penalties) will become an option for circuit races in the future.

IRL, once you’re staged, the tree falls at the same rate every time. So having variation is unrealistic.

That's not true. Different tracks/classes/events use 2 types of trees. I believe a "pro tree" has the time between staged and green are always a little different. That way it's not a matter of getting the rhythm of that particular tree and always launching the same. You actually have to watch and react, not guess.

There is also a static, constant interval tree. I'm tired and I not up to looking up the "proper" terms for each of these. I just know that in the really real world, the trees are not always lit at a constant interval.

The tree drop is the same. Pro tree drop (.400 from amber to green) is constant to pro tree, sportsman tree (.500 between each of the 3 ambers then green)is constant to sportsman tree.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christmas_tree_(drag_racing)

Edited by user Tuesday, September 11, 2018 5:51:41 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Added link

PC: i7-8700k @5GHz, 16GB DDR4-3600, RTX 2080 Super Hybrid
Rig: Fanatec DD1, R300/911GT3 wheel, v3 pedals, CS v1.5 shifter; ButtKicker G2
A/V: ROG Strix 49" 32:9 monitor; Trust Tytan 5.1

http://linktr.ee/chojinzo
 4 users liked this post.
#31 Posted : Tuesday, September 11, 2018 6:01:04 PM(UTC)
Turn 10,
I want to thank you for finally thinking about drag racer enthusiast like myself and others. I've been racing at the drag tracks for many, many years and love playing all forza series in my spare time.
I want to give my feedbacks to help bring realism for the drag session for everyone.

1. Have full access to a burnout box so player can warm up the tires to give them better grip to get off the line to improve the 60 foot time off the track.

2. We need to be able to have full function to stage our cars to the line to start the light on the tree itself.
Example.
A...Prestage indicator lights: Small amber bulbs warn drivers that they are approaching the starting line and the staged position. These bulbs are illuminated when the front tires of the car interrupt a light beam that crosses the lane.

B...Stage indicator: This signals to the driver that he is on the starting line and ready to run.

C....Three amber starting system: All three large amber lights flash simultaneously before the green light comes on for a Pro start. Racers running in handicaped(Bracket)start categories get a countdown until the green comes on.

D....Green light: Once the green light flashes, the driver is free to make his/her run. Any time that the green light is shown in a racer's lane indicates that a fair start was accomplished.

E....Red light When the front wheels of the car leave the starting line before the green light flashes, or if a driver stages so deep that he/she crosses the starting line , the red light will shine. It indicates that the driver in that lane is disqualified.

3. A working tree on the track would be nicer to have but need to closer to see it.

4. The tree light countdown you have now need to speed up, it too slow in the drag race world. Plus you need to have 2 option of light countdown Full Tree and Pro Tree. For example: Depending on the type of racing, the Christmas Tree either will flash all three large amber lights simultaneously, followed four-tenths of second later by the green light (called a Pro Tree), or will light the three bulbs consecutively five-tenths of a second apart, followed five-tenths of a second later by the green light (a full tree)

5. Option to do Full Drag race or Bracket racing:
Bracket racing for example:
Car A has been timed at 15.98, 16.02 and 16.99 seconds for the quarter-mile, and the driver decides that a dial-in of 16.00 is appropriate. Meanwhile, the driver of car B has recorded elapsed times of 13.47, 13.52, and 13.56 on the same track and he has opted for a dial-in of 13.50. Accordingly, car A will get a 2.5 second head start over car B when the Christmas Tree counts down to each cars starting green light. This puts the emphasis on driver reaction.

Because the lanes are timed independently and the elapsed time clock does not begin ticking until the vehicle moves, if both vehicles should run exactly on their dial-ins, the win will go to the driver who reacted quickest to the starting signal. that reaction to the starting line signal is called reaction time.

Reaction times are measured in thousandths of a second. The reaction time counter begins when the last yellow flashes on the Christmas Tree and stops when the race car clears the stage beam. (Although some reaction timers begin counting when the green light flashes, this is not the case in the majority of starting systems.) A perfect start - one in which the race car clears the beam at the very instant the green light flashes - will produce a .400 reaction time on a Pre Tree and a .500 on a full tree (the difference is due to the length of time between the final yellow light and the green light in the two sequences.) Reaction time also measure the amount of a red light violation. For example, if a pro Tree car leaves the starting line with a .390 reaction time (or .490 on a full tree), the driver will have fouled by .010 of a second.
Technique in staging and starting is one of the most vital skills of a E.T. racer because a majority of races are won or lost on the starting line. A driver with a quicker reaction time can overcome an opponents perfomance advantage - whether it's in a heads up race or if the opponent runs closer to his/her dial-in - and record the win. Because of this the vehicle may sometimes appear to have a mathematical advantage in comparative elapsed times but actually lose the race. This fact makes starting line reflexes extremely important in drag racing. Close observation and lots of practice pays off.
Breakouts and other disqualifications
Should a driver go quicker than their predetermined E.T. dial-in, it's a breakout, and grounds for disqualification. In the case of both vehicles running under their dial-ins, the win gos to the driver that runs closest to his/her dial-in. If both drivers violate their dial-ins by an equal amount, the winner is the driver who crossed the finish line first.

6. While racing down the track the player need to stay on their side of the track. If player cross the middle of the line it's a disqualification of the race.

7. Now for record time at the end of the race. We need the following read for:

Reaction time
Dial in E/T from the player in Bracket Race mode
60 foot time
330 foot time
1/8 mile time
1000 foot time
E/T time
MPH

8. More realistic drag track, able to switch day time or night time session. Also Multiplayer mode and Split screen mode

Those are all my feedback as a drag racer and hopefully you Turn 10 can pull this request off for us. This will set apart to any racing game that out of the market on the console and even on the pc. I will ensure you will gain extra profit by bringing fellow drag racer like myself wanting to buy your game and even want to buy a xbox one just to get this game. Again thank you for bringing authentic drag racing on the console to a reality. It is must needed.

Thanks for you time,

Dan

Edited by user Tuesday, September 11, 2018 6:12:49 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

#32 Posted : Tuesday, September 11, 2018 6:13:31 PM(UTC)
Bigger tires multiplayer ASAP. Pre race burnouts and if you’re trying to avoid trolling. Set a timer that once someone stages or prestige’s you only have a certain amount of time tonalsonstage or you redlight. And also 2step launch control needs to happen. Flames backfires everything lmao it would be nice.
#33 Posted : Tuesday, September 11, 2018 6:21:49 PM(UTC)
I am REALLY happy with the new experimental drag feature...very addicting! Now let's get multiplayer going! Thanks Turn 10!
 1 user liked this post.
#34 Posted : Tuesday, September 11, 2018 6:24:05 PM(UTC)
I like the progress so far. I like the time slip at the end. It's cool to know my reaction times and all the different splits. The quick return or whatever is pretty cool. There are a few things I am hoping for down the road as I k ow this is a work in progress.

Burn out and staging. This is a major portion of drag racing. This need to get integrated into this. Even if it's not the full, top fuel, half the track burnout and it's just a small spot to heat the Tires, we need it. Along with that, pulling into the beams is also huge. There are different strategies just in how one stages in a drag race. We should be able to pull up and light the tree. It's just how drag racing is done.

Upgrades. I understand this is where some get into an uproar, but if we're gonna do this thing, let's do it right!

1 There needs to be proper slicks. Drag tires have a very flexible side wall which is part of what helps the launch. What we have now is sorta like a drag radial, not as grippy. It would be good to have the true 36" x 16" Drag slick or a true 10.5" small tire. The small 4" wide front rim and tire.

2 Suspension. Wheelie bars and 4 link, should all be adjustable. Raising or lowering the wheelie bars can drastically change how a car will launch and drive down the road. Back halving cars or cutting out the underneath for weight and throwing huge drag slick under it. Physics that don't dictate that raising a car to the highest ride height equals quicker!

3 Engine and transmission. There needs to be huge power for drag racing. I'm not scoffing at 1000hp, I just know that these days most drag cars can and are pushing between 1500 hp on the low end on up to 3-4000 hp. There should be some engines for this. Giant cubic inch motors, turbos and superchargers with adjustable boost. All the power adders including nitros. Before you all shout no way, I'm NOT talking about need for speed most wanted, do some drifting and add more NOS like. But true to life nitros kits. 100 shot, 200, multiple kit setups.

4 spoilers. Actual drag style spoilers and body kits. Not much more to add for that one,

5. I'm sure it's coming at some point, but more tracks than just Dubia.

When I'm more awake and have more time I want to throw a few pics on here showing the stuff in talking about. Been too long a day, I just wanted to give my input after my first go round with this. I also want to add that I know many don't want to see new upgrades. Mostly for fear that things would show up elsewhere and ruin the other disciplines of racing that are in the game. To me, the simple fix woild.be to make "drag" upgrades ONLY available if drag racing. Or at least not in online public or rivals. GT3 did that back in the 90s when they had a few dirt tracks that you could only drive on with dirt tires. That was 20 years ago, lol.

I absolutely thank and applaud Turn 10 for finally throwing us drag racers a little love! Thank you guys!

I hear ya Zep!!! Man, it is a great start! Let's keep it going!!! :-)

#35 Posted : Tuesday, September 11, 2018 6:47:27 PM(UTC)
I'm unable to change free play to anything other that Experimental drag racing. It always defaults to it with whatever car I'm currently using. Is there a way to change to a different mode?
#36 Posted : Tuesday, September 11, 2018 6:55:42 PM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: x3TURNERx Go to Quoted Post
This update is a great move in the right direction.

Being a drag racer I've noticed a few things that could help bring out the authenticity of this mode.

* Pre-Race Burnouts and having the tire temperature effect the traction of the launch
* A Pro-Tree lighting format option. This is essential in true heads-up racing, and challenges the racer to react instead of just timing the light on a regular tree.
* Bracket/Index classes. This will add to the fun of building purpose built cars in the game. It will also allow new racers to be able to compete with each other more experienced racers on an equal playing field.

These are just a few simple suggestions that I think would make a big difference in the final mode of the game.

Also a drag racer here. The Pro-tree would be one of my biggest suggestions. Love the suggestion about bracket racing and a burn out box would obviously be the checkers but I'm not sure how to implement it into the forza world. I guess that's why these guys are pro programmers haha. I'd love to more detailed timing, such as an 8th mile statistic as well. Would love to see 8th mile and standing mile modes introduced into drag mode.

I would love to see class specific leader boards for this. Right now I'm running muscle cars in C class and the leader board is of course full of P class cars. It would be really cool if my friends and I could challenge each other in specific classes and not have to worry about filtering through the other classes we may run.

Drag specific mods would be fantastic, tubbing, skinnies for front tires, transbreak, 2 step boxes, etc. I know people would complain but nitrous would be great. Especially if you could set it up in stages or progressively.

Anyway T10 hats off. This is quite the step forward and as a drag racers I greatly appreciate it.
 2 users liked this post.
#37 Posted : Tuesday, September 11, 2018 7:33:39 PM(UTC)
As someone who's been going to the drag strip for the better part of 25 years (I'm 28 years old today) - the experimental drag system is brilliant! I experimented a little bit this afternoon (maybe 20 or so races) and that's the most fun I've had since the old Burnout/IHRA PC games of years ago.

A few comments/suggestions:

1) Drag specific modifications:
* Ability to tune the launch RPM (using a rev limiter, 2-step, etc) rather than manually matching revs all the time
* More drag tire options besides the 'Drag' ones - something with a little more grip so I'm not spinning the tires 300' feet out
* Drag tire widths - very skinny in the front, very fat in the rear
* More engine swap options especially for older cars

2) The option to do burnouts and manually stage the car would add another level of depth/strategy (warming up the tires to optimal levels)

3) Drag specific homologation classes and leaderboards - e.g. 'Classic Street Muscle' but limited to 'Drag' tires. This might already be planned for Multiplayer but would really help add to the longevity of the mode

4) The higher difficulty levels could use better reaction times - I'm beating the 'Pro' avatars off the line by almost half a second. :)

5) Bracket / index / handicap racing as an option - maybe this wouldn't appeal to most but it might be fun to race a '65 Mini Cooper and get a head start against a McLaren P1, kind of like in the Showcase events

And a few minor gripes:

1) When the race finishes, please display my 'elapsed time' (time from when I left the starting line to when I crossed the finish line) - don't include the reaction time

2) If I am DQ'ed for a red light, please still track the '60, 1/4 mile ET, etc.

3) Crossing the center line and/or hitting the wall should result in a DQ

Edited by user Tuesday, September 11, 2018 7:48:25 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

#38 Posted : Tuesday, September 11, 2018 8:13:35 PM(UTC)
Guys, this mode is the bee's knees. I've found it very addictive to nail that near-zero reaction time!

As others said, may I suggest something like the drag racing in the old game Need for Speed Prostreet? That game had burnouts before the launch and there was a meter for how well you warmed up your tires. Something similar to that but more suited to Forza's way of doing things would be awesome.

Other things would include staging before a launch, breakout rules, and even handicaps. The show "Pinks" should provide a couple good ideas. I used to race in the old F2P game called Nitto 1320 Challenge many, many years ago and the experience was much the same as NikoTheHammer said of real events, sans the burnouts.

On the physics side, ability to modify tire diameter on both ends to create cars with a similar look to the Ford Mustang Cobra R Forza Edition (large slicks in the back and small tires in the front).

Edited by user Tuesday, September 11, 2018 8:20:25 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

R.I.P. 24 Heures du Mans

26/05/1923 - 17/06/2018
#39 Posted : Tuesday, September 11, 2018 9:44:25 PM(UTC)
I think you could add a rev limiter module. The ability to set the limiter to whatever RPM you want to launch at. As well as the ability to put super skinnies up front.
#40 Posted : Tuesday, September 11, 2018 9:57:48 PM(UTC)
Need about half sec more to prep a good launch. Shauld add staging in the future.
Everything else is on point.
#41 Posted : Tuesday, September 11, 2018 10:12:20 PM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: NightDriver7800 Go to Quoted Post
I used to race in the old F2P game called Nitto 1320 Challenge many, many years ago and the experience was much the same as NikoTheHammer said of real events, sans the burnouts.

Yes! Another ex-1320 Challenge player! I was addicted to that game! If they could replicate anything like that, I would never play anything else ever again! Such a shame the way that game ended, a huge part of me died the day they switched it off.

#42 Posted : Tuesday, September 11, 2018 10:13:53 PM(UTC)
Double post.

Edited by user Tuesday, September 11, 2018 10:14:40 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

1 user liked this post.
#43 Posted : Tuesday, September 11, 2018 10:26:06 PM(UTC)

Everybody has had some great suggestions.

I'd also like to see a real tree and more numbers like 1/8 mile 1/8 mile trap, etc. ET counts, not RT, don't add that in to the final numbers.

Please fix the trap speed. It is not the speed at which your car is moving as you cross the finish line, but is the measurement of the average speed over the last 60 feet before the finish line.

Use at least 2 decimal places (ex: 112.46) in the trap speed too.
 1 user liked this post.
#44 Posted : Tuesday, September 11, 2018 10:28:51 PM(UTC)
This was actually pretty fun. The one thing i beg of you is to make replays more exciting! The replay you offer is not that great,why have you guys neglected that aspect? I know i like to watch my replays and other games have more camera angles that look like tv broadcasts. You guys really need to work on that for all iterations from here on out. You guys show a drag preview with a huracan and its all exciting....then i watch my playback and barely see anything. Thank you for considering this comment. By the way ive owned every forza product starting with fm4.
#45 Posted : Tuesday, September 11, 2018 10:39:53 PM(UTC)
It is really awesome. Tho we maybe need a few more seconds before we start. And more tracks and on a racetrack there would be alot more prep / traction!
Run what you brung!
#46 Posted : Tuesday, September 11, 2018 11:51:46 PM(UTC)

If so I feel that some form of variance should be added so that there’s a greater challenge to nailing a “perfect” reaction time. With a preset countdown length the start sequence becomes more about prediction than reaction in my opinion.

Side note: I hope this means that jump starts (and associated penalties) will become an option for circuit races in the future.

IRL, once you’re staged, the tree falls at the same rate every time. So having variation is unrealistic.

That's not true. Different tracks/classes/events use 2 types of trees. I believe a "pro tree" has the time between staged and green are always a little different. That way it's not a matter of getting the rhythm of that particular tree and always launching the same. You actually have to watch and react, not guess.

There is also a static, constant interval tree. I'm tired and I not up to looking up the "proper" terms for each of these. I just know that in the really real world, the trees are not always lit at a constant interval.

The tree drop is the same. Pro tree drop (.400 from amber to green) is constant to pro tree, sportsman tree (.500 between each of the 3 ambers then green)is constant to sportsman tree.

I'm glad you had it in you to look it up. Like I said, I was running on no sleep for a couple days. I knew there wasn't one constant. I also forgot about "instant green". There you have no ambers after staging. Just the staging lights, then straight to green. More "street" like. I've seen this at Nopreps quite a bit.
Maxwell's Speed Shop
xDeaDxZeppLiNx
mechanic, paint
#47 Posted : Wednesday, September 12, 2018 12:41:54 AM(UTC)
1. Pre race burnouts. They are essential for temperature.
2. Optional wheels on front/ back which may differ in design and width.
3. Different distance options
#48 Posted : Wednesday, September 12, 2018 12:50:12 AM(UTC)

I'm glad you had it in you to look it up. Like I said, I was running on no sleep for a couple days. I knew there wasn't one constant. I also forgot about "instant green". There you have no ambers after staging. Just the staging lights, then straight to green. More "street" like. I've seen this at Nopreps quite a bit.

I didn’t need to look it up, I just added the link to back my point. In game, we have a sportsman tree that is constant. What PJTierney was asking for is variance in the tree between races to stop it being muscle memory launching rather than a ‘true’ reaction. As we only have one tree, it has to stay constant between runs. Even if a pro tree was added for certain classes, the time between amber and green would still remain the same between runs.

#49 Posted : Wednesday, September 12, 2018 1:12:38 AM(UTC)
Experimental drag is very good idea. Add more dragstar cars please. F1 cars are also missing.
If it is possible, I asked for the possibility of changing Field of View in the car's cockpit to adapt it to your preferences, like at FH4 DEMO.
Thank you for listening to people !

Edited by user Thursday, September 13, 2018 12:40:08 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

#50 Posted : Wednesday, September 12, 2018 2:05:55 AM(UTC)

I did not know that, thanks for clarifying.

[Update: Looks like there were further replies. Interesting topic.]

Edited by user Wednesday, September 12, 2018 2:07:09 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

14 Pages1234>>PrevNext

Notification

Icon
Error